Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

is_that_so wrote: »
    That came out this morning I believe.

There was 124 people admitted in total as of yesterday, there was not 124 people currently in the ICU. This has been confirmed by the HSE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Strazdas wrote: »
    Good.

Experts say the deaths will continue at a very high rate for the next 2 weeks - horrible, but the new cases total is the one to watch.

It really isn`t. The figure to watch is new daily deaths /ICU rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

One would expect new cases to be dropping though, given the draconian restrictions - the testing is something of a side issue.
    fullstop wrote: »
    Welll, as was mentioned yesterday, they’ve increased the proportion of positive tests from 6% to 15%, so while the testing is less it’s more targeted.

But isn't the problem that if the tests have dropped dramatically, the new cases must also drop, in which case it is no longer possible to secure a positive view from the drop in percentages of new cases as we can't decipher whether it is the more focussed test, or lack of tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

bennyl10 wrote: »
    That’s since the beginning.
    There is not currently 126 people in ICU

Was just going to ask this.
    If the 126 are currently in ICU or is it the number admitted since this began.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

wakka12 wrote: »
    This article seems to assume Italy is the only place experiencing a high mortality rate. Spain, the UK, Benelux, NYC all appear to be on similar trajectory if they are not already there. I dont understand why so many people are trying really hard to still compare this to flu, the numbers coming out of Italy, and much of Europe for that matter, are shocking no matter what way you look at it

You’re right the numbers are shocking.

And they were shocking for a number of years now.

It’s comparing death rates to the flu, not the virus itself.

The virus is much more potent than the common flu

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Was just going to ask this.
    If the 126 are currently in ICU or is it the number admitted since this began.

It’s since the beginning. This was confirmed by the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

bennyl10 wrote: »
    That’s since the beginning.
    There is not currently 126 people in ICU

are you sure? I think it means there are currently 126 people in ICU.

as per worldometer its 103 people critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    ? How did you come to that conclusion?
    He has handled this situation extremely badly, The USA will most likely come out of this worse than every other country.

Why is it likely? The US has more ICU beds per person, more ventilators (and the ability to make more) and despite what people who dont live here think, those without insurance WILL be treated.

Each state is pretty much like it's own country and does not need trump to take action.

I dont like Trump either, but some on here are almost wishing that america goes to **** just to prove a point that he is a dick.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,840 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good.

Experts say the deaths will continue at a very high rate for the next 2 weeks - horrible, but the new cases total is the one to watch.
    Unfortunately it's meaningless without details of how many negative results there were (ie we need to know how many tests in total reflect these figures). If they are processing less because of limited testing kits it's not necessarily "good"

When you overlay projections that we are still a couple of weeks (possibly more) away from hitting the peak we can, unfortunately, expect further increases in those testing positive. That's also ignoring all of those who have it but do not qualify for testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Blanco100 wrote: »

they came back and confirmed since the beginning. Don't see the point of a cumulative figure tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes in hospitals but only where there is that likely risk, that's all they do say. Otherwise there's no evidence they don't really confer any great protection.
    There is evidence for protection. Check this study done regarding SARS. "The use of masks was strongly protective" and "Our finding that mask use lowered the risk for disease supports the community’s use of this strategy." An they're not the only studies into the efficacy of masks within the community. There's a load with regard to influenza and how that even within households with one person infected the risks go down for the rest with mask use.
    I don't see their position changing on that at all but by all means get yourself a mask.
    I have a few and a pp3 rated respirator, but it's not come to the latter just yet. Though if I had to take public transport or a taxi, I would 100% wear it. The thing is we all need to be wearing something. If we all are then the risk of droplet transmission will drop right off. Never mind that infected people wearing one won't spread nearly as many droplets onto surfaces, which are a major vector for transmission. It's really a no brainer.
    Where you are on the WHO, I find the CDC to be shambolically embarrassing.
    Agreed 100% and for much the same reasons. Underfunded and slow to act and too sensitive to political influence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Folks there are not 124 people in the ICU. It is a cumulative figure. It has been done to death in this thread already. See attached for confirmation by HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why is it likely? The US has more ICU beds per person, more ventilators (and the ability to make more) and despite what people who dont live here think, those without insurance WILL be treated.

Each state is pretty much like it's own country and does not need trump to take action.

The US is a federal state and each state has its own governance.

I can’t figure out why Trump is mentioned so much here, he’s fairly irrelevant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

USA about to hit 200 thousand cases.

World over 900 thousand cases.

Almost a million. It's spreading so fast. If that's the confirmed cases, there's way more out there carrying the virus without knowing.

We can probably be at a million by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Stheno wrote: »
    Dr. Ronan may be late

Wont want to make Dr Tony look bad :D

Where do people watch the HSE briefings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Why007

Tara mines refuses to close, opening back tomorrow (remove the space after the .com) irishtimes. com/business/energy-and-resources/tara-mines-to-resume-operations-despite-covid-19-risk-1.4217994

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

USA has now surpassed 200K cases (200,269 and with 4,394 deaths).

I remember the good old days (....about 2 weeks ago, or so....) when there was less than 100K cases worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1245338278901014529

they came back and confirmed since the beginning. Don't see the point of a cumulative figure tbh.

Its a cumulative figure yes, but as soon as they leave ICU they are removed from this figure no?

I know its not 126 in a day, but my understanding is its how many are currently there.

Worldometer gives a figure of 103 critical cases in Ireland as per latest update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭spookwoman

frillyleaf wrote: »

rte player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RTE Player/RTE News Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/22be5d-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-1-april/

HSE clearly states in its data "total number admitted to ICU'
    That can only mean its cumulative.

From today.

Hospital statistics

Total number of cases 2990 Total number hospitalised 834 Total number admitted to ICU 126 Total number of deaths 84 Total number of healthcare workers 752 Number clusters notified 134 Median age 48

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Rte News

Its a cumulative figure yes, but as soon as they leave ICU they are removed from this figure no?

I know its not 126 in a day, but my understanding is its how many are currently there.

Worldometer gives a figure of 103 critical cases in Ireland as per latest update.

No they are not removed from the figure. The worldometer is not a primary source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

domrush wrote: »
    Folks there are not 124 people in the ICU. It is a cumulative figure. It has been done to death in this thread already. See attached for confirmation by HSE
    So why not give the actual live number in ICU ....so it’s 124 minus the number of people who have died ? Surely then if the ICU numbers are from start they can handle what’s currently in ICU units...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

14 deaths.

10days to 2 weeks to get testing ramped up...... that's a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

harr wrote: »
    So why not give the actual live number in ICU ....so it’s 124 minus the number of people who have died ? Surely then if the ICU numbers are from start they can handle what’s currently in ICU units...

Not necessarily, many of the deaths occurred in nursing homes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A few pages/threads back someone posted a link to a really natty site that allowed you to select the countries you wanted to see on a graph and compare contrast. The graph would move along from day zero with each country. Does anyone remember that site and have a look?

I'm interested in following Ireland and Denmark's increases and this was a useful tool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭marilynrr

If the figures are cumulative then it would be less than that again because some would have recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ITman88 wrote: »

Yeah, my state is doing a pretty good job so far of flattening the curve and has had restrictions in place for weeks now. Some states have barely any cases. New York is an epicentre and is not representative of the entire country. Even there they are coping OK so far and have put in thousands of extra beds and resources.

deaths are 36 hours in arrears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

domrush wrote: »
    No they are not removed from the figure. The worldometer is not a primary source

This is positive news then. No member of the public will be any the wiser as to how many are in ICU at any given time so.

126 cases in ICU with 80+ deaths, can we read between lines then that ICU numbers are not over the 100 mark?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Almost a million. It's spreading so fast. If that's the confirmed cases, there's way more out there carrying the virus without knowing.

We can probably be at a million by tomorrow.

We're passed a million already, given that China and Iran have lied about their figures. China is easily 10 times higher in cases and deaths. As is Iran. Some estimate Iran is at least 20 times worse than official figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ronan is a decent enough sub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Asked about ICU and doesn't answer it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Education minister still determined to see state exams for students go ahead as normal
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/mchugh-state-exams-planned-993123?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1585757798

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I’m still not sure of the logic of allowing unrestricted travel from epicentres. I’ve asked a few times and haven’t been given an answer apart from “ it was going to get here anyway”. I know that but I think restrictions would help in terms of slowing it down and contact tracing at the start.
    I've read a bit up on the travel restrictions question. Primarily the aversion to doing it is due to the economic and supply chain impact - once one country starts putting in travel restrictions, it forces everyone else to copy them. You end up in this cascade where politicians are always forced to follow the most restrictive country for fear of being seen "not to do enough". Public Health isn't about simply stopping a virus, it's about balancing the actions taken versus the impact of those actions on the wider health and economy of the country.

The impact of borders being shut worldwide are just enormous. Particularly for a country like Ireland which is hugely dependent on trade, imports and exports. If we ended up in a world where the shutters have come down worldwide, we could just about feed ourselves a basic diet - but a lot of other (critical) things stop entering the country.

So I can imagine if you're a politician you'd prefer to shut travel to affected areas, but there's a very very severe risk that you can end up in a far worse place as a consequence.

• Advertisement

I dont have that number. waffle merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

The people asking the question about ICU at the media conference, need to hand in their journalists badges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Eh he`s the ****ing President of the USA. Millions of American people take everything he says, no matter how full of lies or off the wall it may be, as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I dont like Trump either, but some on here are almost wishing that america goes to **** just to prove a point that he is a dick.

More ICU beds per person than who?
    They will do worse because of their complete lack of co-ordination in response.

Yes each state has control but a crisis like this requires federal action and co-ordination. Leadership is needed, trump is attacking governors from various states when he doesn't like what they say. That's hardly a good thing.

You mentioned Trump first and the message above is in reply to my response to your message... why the surprise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Why cant they tell us how many people are in ICU with Covid 19 in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Why aren't the journos pushing for a straight answer on ICU numbers?

Maybe I'm being dense, but I still don't know if the figures given are numbers from the beginning or currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

drop in both cases & deaths(R.i.P)

Hopefully the measures will start to take affect.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've read a bit up on the travel restrictions question. Primarily the aversion to doing it is due to the economic and supply chain impact - once one country starts putting in travel restrictions, it forces everyone else to copy them. You end up in this cascade where politicians are always forced to follow the most restrictive country for fear of being seen "not to do enough". Public Health isn't about simply stopping a virus, it's about balancing the actions taken versus the impact of those actions on the wider health and economy of the country.

The impact of borders being shut worldwide are just enormous. Particularly for a country like Ireland which is hugely dependent on trade, imports and exports. If we ended up in a world where the shutters have come down worldwide, we could just about feed ourselves a basic diet - but a lot of other (critical) things stop entering the country.

So I can imagine if you're a politician you'd prefer to shut travel to affected areas, but there's a very very severe risk that you can end up in a far worse place as a consequence.

And I would think that the number of people coming into Ireland is now so small now as to be not worth this measure being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

solid numbers. hope Big T gets back on the horse soon and we can put this thing to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yeah, my state is doing a pretty good job so far of flattening the curve and has had restrictions in place for weeks now. Some states have barely any cases. New York is an epicentre and is not representative of the entire country. Even there they are coping OK so far and have put in thousands of extra beds and resources.

New York is doing terribly

Low on PPE, ventilators and staff. It's going to be one of the worst calamities ever to befall the state

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement