Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

ITman88 wrote: »
    Here, in Ireland, we worry about Leo.

Millions of Americans are governed by their own state.

It's a federal democracy. Some aspects of life are reliant on state government and others are reliant on federal government, which has very significant resources. All Americans are governed by both.

What state governments do matters, but what the US federal government also matters enormously.

It's not an accurate reflection of the reality of US governance to look at state and federal government in isolation. In a crisis like this both matter and the really big spending power comes from the federal government, not state level.

Federal agencies would normally be driving coordination of this and they really haven't been under Trump. It's been a lot more chaotic than normal with federal and state agencies competing for the same resources and driving prices up and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Many people taking the same attitude with the UK too.

They can't see the irony of thinking Trump/BoJo are horrible people, yet they are wishing for large death totals in these countries so they can be somehow proven correct in their assertions... quite perverse really! :rolleyes:
    FFS someone could say the exact same thing about you wishing death on people from Ireland with your posting record. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

froog wrote: »
    i'd say the angelus is getting record viewing numbers recently.

I can recite it back to front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Turn off boards, don't listen to the news, if your at home - watch films, learn something new - don't use your phone.

I've been absolutely terrified with all the news. Can't fully enjoy what I used to like doing. Though maybe I should, by the time I catch it, will it be my last few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

tom1ie wrote: »
    I may have missed this but why do we get the cumulative icu bed figures and not the real time figures?
    "Operational reasons"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

spookwoman wrote: »
    Thats what was said in the briefing

Some deaths may be upto 36 hours in arrears, particularly any that are coming from the coroner. Hospital deaths are reported quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

212 is a good drop to be honest. 14 dead is a worry again though.

Hopefully we can steadily decline for next 9 days and lockdown will be relaxed.

Relaxing any form of this lock down would be pissing into the wind and put us back to square one.

Strap yourself in for another few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

I may have missed this but why do we get the cumulative icu bed figures and not the real time figures?

To make it sound worse than it currently is maybe?

RIP to those who have passed away due to this awful virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

growleaves wrote: »
    Science doesn't work by taking a show of hands.

(Although where has it has been established that a majority of scientists share the opinion of Ferguson, Fauci etc.? That is not at all clear.)

Here is the opinion of a Professor of Molecular Pharmacology at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris.

No if he isn’t a journalist with the mirror or the daily mail he’s a spoofer and works for the Russian Mafia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

"Operational reasons"

What the hell does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Firstly I’m in a relationship and happy. Don’t turn this into after hours post as it’s actually a very serious issue. 4 girls I have on the Facebook who live in places I guess between Limerick Nenagh and Thurles have hit on me since Monday evening. 3 of them were just people who randomly added me over the years and I’ve never actually talked to them before other than see one or two posts a years on my feed.

Would you like to lose a family member(S)/friends because of desperate horny people like that hooking up? One of them even had the audacity to nitpick people not adhering to social distancing the other day. One of them is a traveller girl whose skin looks like those old orange school bags.
    Skin like an orange school bag class :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

RobertKK wrote: »
    Germany testing 500,000 a week.

Really? So Germany have tested more than 1% of it's population by now? That is a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Didn’t appear to be too much social distancing on latest bulletin from the dept of heath , George lee outside the room giving his briefing and they coming in and out doors , someone speaking to the CMO proxy seemed quite close to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've been absolutely terrified with all the news. Can't fully enjoy what I used to like doing. Though maybe I should, by the time I catch it, will it be my last few days?
    I dip in and out but only really check stuff now about briefing time. Limit your fix on this! Plenty of other internet stuff out there and probably a lot of other things you need to do.

What the hell does that mean?

Most likely the figures vary day-by-day, hour-by-hour, there are multiple independent hospitals involved, and they're not to hand.

I would expect they are getting information in daily reporting or something like that and may not have a realtime live database of who's where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Relaxing any form of this lock down would be pissing into the wind and put us back to square one.

I disagree there.

If social distancing measure and this lockdown has positive impacts on transmission and deaths then the only thing to do is relax the measures. Its logical.

If people see the numbers in decline but still have a draconian type lock down imposed on them they will start to ignore it. Human nature.

Won't happen. Once the decline is clear, the government will start thinking about the economy. This will be a balancing act between public health and the economy, and in a couple of weeks they will look to revisit that balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP those 14

The fact we are barely testing 1500 a day with kits missing and centres closed is a worry

Is there anywhere in Ireland that could produce manufacture those kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

That’s why I look at balanced articles. It does help with anxiety. For the life of me I have no idea what good it does to publish worse case scenario projections

• Advertisement

If social distancing measure and this lockdown has positive impacts on transmission and deaths then the only thing to do is relax the measures. Its logical.

And invite a second wave of infections. We're nowhere near the initial peak yet, I wouldn't tempt fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

RobertKK wrote: »
    Germany testing 500,000 a week.

Quick maths.

So that would be equivalent to around 3,400 a day if it was the size of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So why do they say there’s 126 in icu when the cumulative number is 126 not the real time number.
    It’s real time number that matters when your looking at resources available surely?

My sister in law is a senior nurse in ICU in Dublin and says the figure is the number now in ICUs. So I'm totally confused.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Xertz wrote: »
    Most likely the figures vary day-by-day, hour-by-hour, there are multiple independent hospitals involved, and they're not to hand.

I would expect they are getting information in daily reporting or something like that and may not have a realtime live database of who's where.

There's also people in ICU that are suspect Covid but not confirmed. There are lots of variables.

Xertz wrote: »

But can’t they tell every hospital in the country that icu beds taken up must be emailed to those in charge by 3pm everyday so that the real time figures can be released for 6pm?
    That’s not too hard surely?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    My sister in law is a senior nurse in ICU in Dublin and says the figure is the number now in ICUs. So I'm totally confused.

Yeah big confusion. Tonight’s conference didn’t really clear it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If it suits the authorities to start talking about numbers currently in ICU beds, they will do so. Watch for a subtle and sneaky shift in terminology. This will go over the heads of stupid journalists who will fall into the trap of comparing apples (cumulative figures) with oranges (current figures)

The authorities will have to start talking about current figures at same stage otherwise there will be at least 126 patients "in" ICU beds with Covid-19 for the rest of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I was initially hopeful of an early May relaxation. But to be certain I'd say yes at least two months possibly three. Who knows where we will be globally and nationally by then?

But can’t they tell every hospital in the country that icu beds taken up must be emailed to those in charge by 3pm everyday so that the real time figures can be released for 6pm?

I'm speculating that they probably get a publishable figure in a report at a particular time during the day.

The figures and data they used for their internal operations may just not be immediately available to the press.

I wouldn't think it's any kind of conspiracy or cover up. It's just that systems like that sometimes aren't necessarily like some online dashboard.

You've a complex network of hospitals - some of which have never been in the public system before, all involved with this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Ya it'll be relaxed in 9 days allright what planet are you on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

126 is the total number who have been admitted to ICU. It's crystal clear. If Joe Bloggs is admitted on March 13th and released on March 21st he has been admitted to the ICU and remains a part of that number. So many idiots in this world, Jesus Christ.

Is 126 total for ROI or all Island of Ireland including NI?

• Advertisement

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

126 is the total number who have been admitted to ICU. It's crystal clear. If Joe Bloggs is admitted on March 13th and released on March 21st he has been admitted to the ICU and remains a part of that number. So many idiots in this world, Jesus Christ.

It’s ridiculous giving cumulative figures as opposed to real time figures though

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

I disagree there.

If people see the numbers in decline but still have a draconian type lock down imposed on them they will start to ignore it. Human nature.

Then infection goes back up again which lead to another lockdown.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It’s ridiculous giving cumulative figures as opposed to real time figures though

Agreed, cumulative figures are meaningless.

As long as they have access to realtime figures internally and are able to plan allocations, it's not really relevant. It's just a published figure.

What would make some sense would be to create an online dashboard and we could all then see what's going on and it would save a lot of speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I was initially hopeful of an early May relaxation. But to be certain I'd say yes at least two months possibly three. Who knows where we will be globally and nationally by then?

Place the over 66's and anybody with a relevant underlying condition under house arrest would allow the rest of the population start getting back on track sooner.

Unless there is a big death toll every night people will be asking what the fcuk?

If it stays below 10 deaths a day for a week or 2 then its time to relax things, with those in the firing line left under house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Hopefully it might burn out like SARS or is this too much for it to burn out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know what planet you are on, the lockdown is not going to be relaxed anytime soon.

Doyler99 wrote: »

Not if the target group are under house arrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

easypazz wrote: »
    Place the over 66's and anybody with a relevant underlying condition under house arrest

Literally?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

So have been gone from idiots begging for a lockdown to idiots wanting the lockdown to end at the first sign we have things somewhat under control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah, but you've got to allow for the time it takes those emails to be printed out and make their way through all the layers of HSE bureaucracy.

yes, a release of restrictions followed by another lockdown if the data suggests that the ICU will become under pressure again. Remember, this lockdown is not to stop the virus.....it is to manage ICU beds. It will be a data driven relaxation / resumption of restrictions, perhaps for the rest of the year.

The current lockdown will not just be maintained for months....the government will have to start to consider the impact on economic activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

But isnt that the course we are on for the next 2 years or so? This is lockdown 1.0, once we get cases under control restrictions are relaxed. When cases inevitably rise again it will be lockdown 2.0 until such time as cases are back under a certain level. Rinse and repeat until the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oh so today its back to "officially" being cumulative after yesterday "officially" being the current.

They want us to focus on a figure they cant fcuking define themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Place the over 66's and anybody with a relevant underlying condition under house arrest would allow the rest of the population start getting back on track sooner.

Remember when there was the video of the Chinese welding doors and people incorrectly figured they were welding people in. They were actually blocking main entrance and forcing people to use side ones to reduce contact.

Do you think we should weld all doors and actually shut people in?

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't know what planet you are on, the lockdown is not going to be relaxed anytime soon.

Why not? Once the vulnerable groups are locked away then there will be a lot less pressure on hospital ICU beds etc.

Unless there is a big death toll every night people will be asking what the fcuk?

If it stays below 10 deaths a day for a week or 2 then its time to relax things, with those in the firing line left under house arrest.

Honestly, could we stop using inflammatory language like "house arrest".

It's a protective quarantine / isolation measure to try and stop the spread of a virus and relies a lot on us being voluntarily cooperative with trying to get this thing stopped. It's certainly not 'house arrest'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not if the target group are under house arrest.
    How many people do you think that is? Over 66 in Ireland.
    Putting them under house arrest....how would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Place the over 66's and anybody with a relevant underlying condition under house arrest .

And anyone like you with such ridiculous ideas in a lunatic asylum.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Interestingly my German work colleague was waiting a week to be tested and a few days after that for results.

They estimate that they are capable of doing this number

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/mass-testing-empty-icus-germany-scores-early-virus-69911783
    virologist Dr. Christian Drosten, whose team developed the first test for the new virus at Berlin's Charité hospital — established over 300 years ago to treat plague victims.

He estimated that Germany is now capable of conducting up to 500,000 tests a week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement