Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

niallo27 wrote: »
    But yet they are not in any sort of lockdown

Their self-isolation (stay at home notice) measures include having a text messsage sent you you several times a day whereby you have to send your GPS location To authorities. You can also get a phone call and you have to send a picture of where you are while on the call. They also can call to your door to check up on you. So while they’re not on actual lockdown, they have very strict control measures for keeping people off the streets, none of which could ever be done here because people would scream blue murder about human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lavinia wrote: »

I wouldn't. They have a much higher mortality rate per million than Ireland and their trajectory is frightening by comparison to other Nordic countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Looney1 wrote: »
    I'm starting to become a bit dispondant about the whole thing. I get the feeling that all governments and the who really don't have a clue how this is going to end and that they are only firefighting and hoping for a miricle.

Working on efficient ways of treating it would be the main priority I'd think. That's surely the short term goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Big difference in terms of medical ability between then and now along with other advances. It'll take time yes but no comparison inmo

So even with medical advances, it's a new virus that nobody knows much about yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Ficheall wrote: »
    I suspect we will do better than many countries, for sure, because we were fortunate to get it later, and implement our lockdown sooner.

However, the relative numbers to date (when the lockdown hasn't fully had a chance to kick in and affect the numbers) are not "middle of the pack", they are bottom of the effing barrel.

That you don't give a sh1te how two countries who have been relatively successful in coping with the virus is concerning. Are you solely interested in the virus as a way to point out how we are doing better than the UK?

I think we've been very lucky, relatively speaking, and that we'll do better than many countries, but this cherry picking of the UK and with their sh1tty, sh1tty approach and saying "Everything's fine, we're doing better than these guys.." is tiresome nonsense.

I don't care about them because they aren't slightly comparable. Different type of governance, different attitudes to authority, different lifestyle, different health care, past experience with SARS and MERS. Just completely different.

You didn't answer my question of who in Europe is doing better, bar the ones I mentioned who have their own reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We're not getting out of this anytime soon, are we?

Looking back at other pandemics and it's at least a year. Spanish flu was almost 3 years long.

You simply cant compare the two for quite obvious reasons.

Medical care, ability to produce and test vaccine in a large scale when possible etc.

I think although we're in an awful situation, people do need to keep in mind this isn't going to go on forever and a point in time will come when normality per say returns.

Looking back at other pandemics will do you no good. I've cut out checking the latest news every hour or so to once a day and mentally its much better. People need to switch off at times

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

New Home wrote: »
    Wait a second... are you a re-reg? :eek:

Sadly, no. I was around in 1918 though, but under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

fullstop wrote: »
    Their self-isolation (stay at home notice) measures include having a text messsage sent you you several times a day whereby you have to send your GPS location To authorities. You can also get a phone call and you have to send a picture of where you are while on the call. They also can call to your door to check up on you. So while they’re not on actual lockdown, they have very strict control measures for keeping people off the streets, none of which could ever be done here because people would scream blue murder about human rights.

Strict control measures indeed, but schools and business are still open.

You’re missing that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,909 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ITman88 wrote: »

All these posts serve to do is reiterate that the most balanced posters who often quote the facts are the ones who consider all effects of the current situation, social, economic and health

You need to prioritize the efforts and effects...

Health

Economy

Social

In this order... forget about watching the news and identifying what governments are doing well or not doing... look at yourself, your family, your and their behaviors.

You have zero influence as to what is going on in government buildings so don’t worry about it.

On the other hand... examples of what you can influence...

Your other half wanting to meet girlfriends for a 30 min catch up over a socially distant coffee.. NO CHANCE...for a release and pS4 and beer with the guys for an hour respecting again distance ? ZERO CHANCE... Just to call around to xx person to have a ‘quick chat’ who might be feeling lonely? NO, ring them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

I wouldn't. They have a much higher mortality rate per million than Ireland and their trajectory is frightening by comparison to other Nordic countries.

How does Sweden's Health system stack up against the rest of Europe?

• Advertisement

Covid19 wrote: »

Dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

So 2/3s of population is roughly 3.7 million. Take a death rate of 2% for argument sake. 74000?????. Is that what we are looking at.????

It won't be any where near that % as we'll stay inside the capacity of the health system and as more recover less infections will occur. This could take two years to pass through though.

Look back at Anthony Fauci on the press conference last night. That is what he sees as the way out of this for the US. He even said herd immunity. Their problem is they put controls in place too late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Exactly.
    Some posters are completely dismissive of the economic carnage a lengthy lockdown would cause.

They carried out studies on in the UK last week about it tho, 6.4% contraction in the economy will cost more lives than covid

They also decided to let the virus rip and wait for 'herd immunity'. Of course that did not last long when the entomology experts got the memo. Then they decided to only test those presenting to hospital - at a rate of less than half ours. The allowed Cheltenham to go, and refused to close schools. Now they have over 500 deaths a day.

I think their (the UK) predictions should be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

New Home wrote: »
    Wait a second... are you a re-reg? :eek:

You mean a mutation :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

For anyone who still listens to that John Campbell clown, check out his excellent reporting on the situation here in Ireland at around the 11:25 mark, from today 1st April 2019

link: https://youtu.be/Kt55EU1T0j8?t=684

3 figures, lets see how accurately he has reported them.

1) 3,253 confirmed - Incorrect

well as of this evening we are actually at 3,447 cases. Perhaps he made this video early in the day and is using yesterdays figures? Well that would actually be 3,235. Oh... maybe his data is from the day before again. Nope, that's 2,910

2) 71 Deaths - Correct

He is correct according to yesterdays figures. No problems here

3) 8.8m Population - Incorrect

Don't think I need to look this one up lads. Unless he is a time traveller and has come from the 1840's (I don't think we hit that high even then, I think we just scraped into the low 8's before the famine?) He is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So who, right now, are the people catching it, in this world of social distancing when everyone knows the ground rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I'm struggling with how people don't see our numbers as positive. We are far from a dire situation we were facing a couple of weeks ago.

The figures quoted a couple of weeks ago would have had us on an exponential growth, one that no country has (yet) seen. I get why it was announced (scare us into taking this seriously) but the more you look at graphs (particularly ones that break it down per head of population) we don't do particularly well all in all: http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Bar the countries that are really struggling (Italy, Spain) and a load of micro-states, we seem to be right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

For those struggling with the restrictions, this lady feels your pain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Experts think new cases will start to drop but deaths will stay high for the next ten days or so.

New cases is the one to watch......if the numbers start to fall day on day, we're in business.

You're getting slightly delusional and have been from day 1 on this issue.

3 weeks ago you went on for days about the Dublin Patrick's Day parade. But shur it's open air. Why are people focussing on the parade?

Absolutely no one could get through to you about other nationalities mixing. That the crowds outdoors would eat and drink indoors.

You've never grasped this at all, at any stage. Experts say, experts say..

New cases falling takes time. We'll have a peak to slowly come down from. Italy rose by 700 cases again and they're in lockdown longer than us.

South Korea has an average of 100 new cases a day. That little group that can set off the thing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I'm starting to become a bit dispondant about the whole thing. I get the feeling that all governments and the who really don't have a clue how this is going to end and that they are only firefighting and hoping for a miricle.

The WHO have been fighting epidemics for years they know what they are at. And this epidemic is far from their nightmare scenario.
    Google WHO disease X if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Boris Johnson said that the 13 year old dying was "more evidence that this illness does not discriminate". wtf? :confused:

Does not discriminate? Of course it discriminates. It kills mostly the elderly or vulnerable and a few healthy young people. That's discrimination.

It's like when people say cancer doesn't discriminate by age. Are they listening to the words they are saying? Cancer discriminates enormously depending on age.

So who, right now, are the people catching it, in this world of social distancing when everyone knows the ground rules?

I'm guessing families will be the main clusters now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You've been around for a long, long year. Stole many a man's soul and faith...

Arghus wrote: »
    On the face of it a lower figure is positive news. But it's hard to read anything substantial into it - we don't know the full story with testing and there's, I'm sure, many out there who have it and now don't qualify for testing - but I was fully expecting upwards of 400 today, so, fck it, 212 is better than that.

Though, people who think this suggests a sign that normality will be returning sooner than expected are deluded. This is still going to be long haul, even if in the unlikely event that they get the daily rate down to something more manageable this is reality now for at least 12 weeks. And probably longer than that.

You’re naive if you think that the government are not at some stage going to start thinking about the economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

previously known as SARS
    The swine!

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    You mean a mutation :eek:

Very clever.

I'm guessing families will be the main clusters now.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense actually. But I still don't get how there is still a big surge on the way when everyone knows the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gynoid wrote: »
    For those struggling with the restrictions, this lady feels your pain..

Parents up and down the country going Hell Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

threeball wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question of who in Europe is doing better, bar the ones I mentioned who have their own reasons.
    Per capita, at 8 days after their first death (where Ireland is now), Spain, Belgium, San Marino and Andorra were doing worse than we are. Every other country was doing better.

For total deaths, at 5 days after the 10th death (where Ireland is now), China, Turkey and the UK were doing worse than we are. Every other country was doing better.

threeball wrote: »

I don't care about them because they are slightly comparable. Different type of governance, different attitudes to authority, different lifestyle, different health care, past experience with SARS and MERS. Just completely different.
    Okay, I give up. Go back to your cherry-picking. I'm out.

So even with medical advances, it's a new virus that nobody knows much about yet.

Yes but those medical and technical advances make testing, recovery and potential treatments much faster to be discovered and produced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Strumms wrote: »

Health

Economy

Social

In this order... forget about watching the news and identifying what governments are doing well or not doing... look at yourself, your family, your and their behaviors.

You have zero influence as to what is going on in government buildings so don’t worry about it.

Your other half wanting to meet girlfriends for a 30 min catch up over a socially distant coffee.. NO CHANCE...for a release and pS4 and beer with the guys for an hour respecting again distance ? ZERO CHANCE... Just to call around to xx person to have a ‘quick chat’ who might be feeling lonely? NO, ring them instead.

The people you mentioned about meeting for a 30 mins catch up over a Coffee etc really need to educate themselves on the art of video calling.
    It's been around for years now and isn't rocket science...a child can do it.No excuse in this day and age.Just about everyone has a smartphone or tablet.Better still Laptop,they all have built in Cameras,use them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

We're not getting out of this anytime soon, are we?

Looking back at other pandemics and it's at least a year. Spanish flu was almost 3 years long.[/QUOTE]

It was actually about 3 years long in separate waves. Infected about 500 million people which was roughly a quarter of the global population at the time. It is believed that in excess of 50 million died from it.

Health

Economy

Social

I and my other half have not meet friends or made unnecessary journeys for over a month.
    Partly due to the virus and partly due to a lack of friends!!!

No one suggesting the economy need’s consideration is suggesting that we break the current restrictions.

That’s a common theme here, if one suggests that the economic catastrophe looming needs attention before further restrictions, poster claim that you don’t understand the virus/have no respect for elderly/lack empathy/selfish etc.

People don’t realise we are flattening a curve, NOT curing or killing the virus.

We flatten the curve to prevent an overwhelm of the health service, then resume business as normal as fast as possible.
    This is not some fantasy where we close business until next July or August and then it’s business as normal.
    These restrictions are short term, to prevent an overwhelm, not to prevent deaths that are inevitable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Yes but those medical and technical advances make testing, recovery and potential treatments much faster to be discovered and produced.

I hope they find something soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd imagine it's regarded as one of the better ones, along with their Scandinavian neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

A lot of healthcare workers. Elderly in nursing homes that have been hit by the virus. Then community spreading is likely people out in shops or people who are working still.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense actually. But I still don't get how there is still a big surge on the way when everyone knows the rules.

Well the incubation period is 2-14 days. So families with asymptomatic/mild infections would be happily living together and spreading it around - especially since the lock down. The people they infect would be starting to get symptoms now or soon. It lasts for two weeks if it's mild and up to six if it's serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Once a world war doesn't break out we should be able to deal with this better than the Spanish flu.
    They also had no antibiotics for secondary infection back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Your username is in very poor taste considering what’s going on.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    A lot of healthcare workers. Elderly in nursing homes that have been hit by the virus. Then community spreading is likely people out in shops or people who are working still.

I'm hoping the people just doing a bit of necessary shopping in the supermarkets are not particularly at risk (insofar as nothing is risk free)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

20silkcut wrote: »
    The WHO have been fighting epidemics for years they know what they are at. And this epidemic is far from their nightmare scenario.
    Google WHO disease X if you have the time.

Meh. They opposed travel bans to and from hotspot areas which was perhaps the main reason covid 19 spread so far and rapidly around the world.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Our sense of humour has departed us with the restrictions

Steve F wrote: »
    The people you mentioned about meeting for a 30 mins catch up over a Coffee etc really need to educate themselves on the art of video calling.
    It's been around for years now and isn't rocket science...a child can do it.No excuse in this day and age.Just about everyone has a smartphone or tablet.Better still Laptop,they all have built in Cameras,use them

If you are in your 70’s or 80’s it’s time to educate and BE educated, help from loved ones etc with this stuff. Gonna need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I'm hoping the people just doing a bit of necessary shopping in the supermarkets are not particularly at risk (insofar as nothing is risk free)

Yes which would explain why our numbers are so low. But people would rather believe they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

If you are in your 70’s or 80’s it’s time to educate and BE educated, help from loved ones etc with this stuff. Gonna need it.

Well said

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

507901.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Some will love it.

Right on que :pac:
    Our sense of humour has departed us with the restrictions

They also decided to let the virus rip and wait for 'herd immunity'. Of course that did not last long when the entomology experts got the memo. Then they decided to only test those presenting to hospital - at a rate of less than half ours. The allowed Cheltenham to go, and refused to close schools. Now they have over 500 deaths a day.

I think their (the UK) predictions should be ignored.

The UK made a right bôllocks of this. An absolute clown of a Prime Minister, right wing party with keys in hand. No surprise really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

rossie1977 wrote:
    Only the harsher restrictions or 25 times the daily testing can slow this thing down.
    Testing doesn't slow the spread of the virus.

The people slow the spread of the virus.

Testing determines how effective the people are slowing the spread.

So we must continue the social distancing and handwashing regardless of numbers.

Flattening the curve and preventing deaths is on us, all of us .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Achasanai wrote: »
    The figures quoted a couple of weeks ago would have had us on an exponential growth, one that no country has (yet) seen. I get why it was announced (scare us into taking this seriously) but the more you look at graphs (particularly ones that break it down per head of population) we don't do particularly well all in all: http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Bar the countries that are really struggling (Italy, Spain) and a load of micro-states, we seem to be right up there.

Using the crude measure of deaths per million, we are currently 12th when micro-states are excluded - mind you, the countries ahead of us have astronomical rates - Belgium on 71 DPM, Holland on 68, and Switzerland on 56, so while our 17 is unwelcome, it's far from exceptional in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement