Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Hopefully the Spanish flu time line isn’t a template for this. We have a much better set of technologies at our disposal, including an understanding of viruses, biology and biotechnology that is just incomparable to what was around in 1918 or even 1988.

I would be careful about making assumptions that by taking minimal measures, a socially distanced coffee is fine. We don’t really know a lot about this virus yet. It’s not the flu and it’s not a cold. So the transmission capabilities are quite different. I think that’s where most countries made initial mistakes. The simple measures that one might take to prevent flu spread aren’t enough for this.

So do stick to video conferencing. There are some essential industries and jobs that will have to make do with steps to minimise exposure, social distancing and PPE. If you’re not in one of those, just don’t put yourself and others at unnecessary risk. Is a coffee with a colleague worth risking someone’s health and potentially life over?

The unknowns are being cleared up as the days and weeks go on but for now, I would take the most cautious approaches possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Has anyone else heard about the tons of food being dumped that people Panic bought and stockpiled or did I dream it?
    So much happening I'm not sure what's real and what's imagined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Your username is in very poor taste considering what’s going on.
    Poster named after a comedian lacks a sense of humour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Ficheall wrote: »
    Per capita, at 8 days after their first death (where Ireland is now), Spain, Belgium, San Marino and Andorra were doing worse than we are. Every other country was doing better.

For total deaths, at 5 days after the 10th death (where Ireland is now), China, Turkey and the UK were doing worse than we are. Every other country was doing better.

There are far too many variables in this to read anything from it while the numbers are still relatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

pjohnson wrote: »
    Some will love it.

Right on que :pac:

Exactly! Wouldn’t let you down!!
    I kept mine, you don’t seem like the kinda guy to appreciate a joke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

woohoo!!! wrote: »

Hes named after a character.....Ardal O'Hanlon was the comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Steve F wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard about the tons of food being dumped that people Panic bought and stockpiled or did I dream it?

those pictures are more likely restaurants and hotels dumping freezer contents they're unable to sell rather than hoarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I wouldn't call registering or rereging as 'Covid 19' humour.

It's childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Strumms wrote: »
    If you are in your 70’s or 80’s it’s time to educate and BE educated, help from loved ones etc with this stuff. Gonna need it.

Good idea but unfortunately it will be difficult to instruct many older citizens without breaching social distancing guidelines.

Yeah that’s inevitable. There was some degree (not remotely as bad here as it was in the U.K. and US) of panic buying of fresh, non storable food. Also most households don’t have enormous freezers these days. The days of a chest freezer in the garage have largely faded away.

You could see on tv and YouTube footage that many people were buying way too much fresh food. Far more than they could possibly consume.

There’ll be a lot of heavy compost bins unfortunately and a lot of people with a enough toilet paper to survive until well past Xmas.

There’ll also be a few households eating canned food until 2022 by the looks of what happened some of the supply chains.

I honestly think Ireland wasn’t that bad though. There have been maybe two panic buying blips which calmed down within a day.

If you have food coming to date. Try and make arrangements to pass (safely) to neighbours or to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt it. Most of the stuff that for stockpiled was stuff with a long shelf life, pasta, rice, frozen stuff, tinned foods etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Naggdefy wrote: »

It's childish.

But it does reflect the mental age of some. This is just an economic nuisance and the deaths dont matter. Therefore its great fun to laugh about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is the lockdown really sustainable for months? There was an article in the guardian today about Italy. This is week 4 of their lockdown now, queues are getting long at food banks and people are starting to get seriously agitated and are wondering what’s going to happen to the jobs they had before. I hope there won’t be social unrest but it sounds like there could be. The lockdown we have here would be sustainable for longer imo. It’s not as stringent and our government seems to be better organised.

Neither Fr. Dougal or Ardal O'Hanlon ever did any harm to anyone.
    Covid 19 is a killer.

Covid19 wrote: »
    Sadly, no. I was around in 1918 though, but under a different name.

That's really funny the way you called yourself Covid19 after the topical event of the day.
    Can't help thinking you deserve some kind of reward for your craic and wit.
    Maybe a Ban?

But it does reflect the mental age of some. This is just an economic nuisance and the deaths dont matter. Therefore its great fun to laugh about.

The economy will be fine and get going globally post Covid. The roaring 20s followed WW1 and 1918 flu.

That's really funny the way you called yourself Covid19 after the topical event of the day.
    Can't help thinking you deserve some kind of reward for your craic and wit.
    Maybe a Ban?

A ban????

We are in a police state now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Homeless are really affected now with no handouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ficheall wrote: »
    Per capita, at 8 days after their first death (where Ireland is now), Spain, Belgium, San Marino and Andorra were doing worse than we are. Every other country was doing better.

Our first death was 3 weeks ago. At 8 days, we were at 3 deaths. That is not a bad result and I can't think we are at the bottom of the heap on those figures.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/coronavirus-everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-1.4187000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw a few pictures from the UK alright.
    You would need to be a bit thick to stockpile perishable food.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. Most of the stuff that for stockpiled was stuff with a long shelf life, pasta, rice, frozen stuff, tinned foods etc.

There’ll be a few. A friend of mine in London actually tried to talk sense into a guy who was buying 20+ bags of salad. There’s absolutely no way you can store it and unless you’ve enough people to eat, it’s impossible to keep.

There was a lot of irrational stuff went on, but again I think Ireland was fairly pragmatic about it beyond that blip after the initial big speech from Varadkar.

You can kind of understand it too in the context of the last decade of U.K. politics and media. There isn’t a sense the political leadership is trustworthy. That’s not even a political statement, but when a system has just come out of the most protracted period of toxic nonsense in generations, the general sense of stability isn’t great.

Ireland’s relatively bland political landscape is pretty benign, whatever your party preferences might be, I don’t really feel any of them are THAT bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

elperello wrote: »
    Covid 19 is a killer.

You've obviously never heard about "The Blackrock Incident". Hundreds of nuns irreparably damaged. Or are nuns not real people now?

Hes named after a character.....Ardal O'Hanlon was the comedian.
    Whoosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This was the Star the other day

111467022-dailystar-png.jpg

You are correct.

Only kids care about the economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

The economy will be fine and get going globally post Covid. The roaring 20s followed WW1 and 1918 flu.

But its the shutdown not the pandemic that's strangling the economy. Was there much of a shutdown in 1918? Outside of siege conditions and the Black Death has there ever been a prolonged mass shutdown of a society?

elperello wrote: »
    Covid 19 is a killer.
    Yes, let's get outraged about the important matters to hand, a user's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

It's childish.

Lads, lighten up for Gods sake.

A. It's April 1st, in cased you missed that.

B. This is one of the most depressing, sometimes morbid, often pedantic in the extreme, threads on Boards at the moment, so some light/dark humour is no harm.

C. It's not a re-reg, I am a long time reader, 1st time poster.

D. I am quite surprised no-one else thought of it!

E. You dont know how the current crisis has effected me, so excuse me if my lightness of being offends anyone.

F. Dwelling too much on the horrific statistics, bad news stories, struggles of those trying to cope with their own personal situations etc is pretty bad for ones mental health. One finds humour in the most unlikely threads.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You've obviously never heard about "The Blackrock Incident". Hundreds of nuns irreparably damaged. Or are nuns not real people now?

Pictures or it never happened :)

• Advertisement

It's childish.
    I agree, getting offended about it, don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Testing doesn't slow the spread of the virus.

The people slow the spread of the virus.

Testing determines how effective the people are slowing the spread.

So we must continue the social distancing and handwashing regardless of numbers.

Flattening the curve and preventing deaths is on us, all of us .

Testing only determines how effective we are at slowing it if we are doing enough testing.Testing means that we know who has the virus so that we can plan for treatment. It also means that front line staff can be cleared for work in the fight against the virus and not sit at home in isolation. The inability to up the testing even to 2000 per day means we cant deploy all the resources we have to fight the virus. The WHO places a huge premium on testing, last week the governments target was 10000 to 150000 tests per day they way below what they claim to be their target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Panrich wrote: »
    Our first death was 3 weeks ago. At 8 days, we were at 3 deaths. That is not a bad result and I can't think we are at the bottom of the heap on those figures.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/coronavirus-everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-1.4187000
    Apologies, you are correct - I misread the label - it was since first death per million people, as opposed to per first death.

growleaves wrote: »
    But its the shutdown not the pandemic that's strangling the economy. Was there much of a shutdown in 1918? Outside of siege conditions and the Black Death has there ever been a prolonged mass shutdown of a society?

No, what the economy was based on at the time did not contract.
    At that time everyone was accustomed to a basic life, no electricity, no running water etc.
    People had low life expectancy and low quality of life.
    Healthcare was basic and death rate was high.

Roaring 20s is tripe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

B. This is one of the most depressing, sometimes morbid, often pedantic in the extreme, threads on Boards at the moment, so some light/dark humour is no harm.

E. You dont know how the current crisis has effected me, so excuse me if my lightness of being offends anyone.

F. Dwelling too much on the horrific statistics, bad news stories, struggles of those trying to cope with their own personal situations etc is pretty bad for ones mental health. One finds humour in the most unlikely threads.

Of course we're happy to have you here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I'm struggling with how people don't see our numbers as positive. We are far from a dire situation we were facing a couple of weeks ago.

Low numbers of completed tests = low numbers of confirmed cases. Sorry I keep harping on about this but I can't see how those low numbers are good.

I expect we will see an increase in the deaths to confirmed cases ratio in the coming weeks. The number of deaths will rises, as predicted, but the number of confirmed cases won't because of testing bottle necks.

If we can only complete 1500 cases a day, with currently about 15% testing positive, we can only confirm 225 cases max per day, 15% of 1500.

Today 212 very close to 225.

WE WON'T SEE BIG NUMBERS OF CONFIRMED CASES BECAUSE WE CAN'T.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE NUMBERS AREN'T THERE.

Sorry for shouting.

I appreciated the humour.

Don’t let this thread suck you in, it’s a wave of depressing inaccurate posts.

Most posts you will see are made up death stats and worse case scenarios.

Oh and I think we on lockdown every year until 2050

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ITman88 wrote: »
    I appreciated the humour.

Don’t let this thread suck you in, it’s a wave of depressing inaccurate posts.

Most posts you will see are made up death stats and worse case scenarios.

Oh and I think we on lockdown every year until 2050

Would cut covid19 some slack. Its only 4 months old or so. Still maturing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is the lockdown really sustainable for months? There was an article in the guardian today about Italy. This is week 4 of their lockdown now, queues are getting long at food banks and people are starting to get seriously agitated and are wondering what’s going to happen to the jobs they had before. I hope there won’t be social unrest but it sounds like there could be.

Does it really? I find it very hard to see the momentum for a proper riot building in the current climate. As someone in the relaxation of restrictions thread pointed out, Italians aren't 'restless', they're hungry and scared...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder will Leo in his next address to the nation mention the reaction to the Boards.ie account called Covid19 as an example of how tightly peoples knickers are twisted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They also decided to let the virus rip and wait for 'herd immunity'. Of course that did not last long when the entomology experts got the memo. Then they decided to only test those presenting to hospital - at a rate of less than half ours. The allowed Cheltenham to go, and refused to close schools. Now they have over 500 deaths a day.

I think their (the UK) predictions should be ignored.

Jesus, they're taking their advice from insect experts? No wonder they're fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Seen as you put it like that Covid19 fair enough :D

No. 3 or 4 ppl were banned with Corona names earlier on. Just search them on boards. They were making totally out of order posts though.

You seem like a more benign virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

Thanks! I have the mental age of a 48 year old. My wife lost her job due to the virus. I deal with death on a weekly basis.

Still find time for humour though!

By the way, do read deVores excellent dissertation on the positives one can ascertain from the current situation. (Cannot find the link, but Its there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Donald said you came from China. Did you start in China?
    How exactly did you start in China?

Every time I say China now I try to say it like Donald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Thanks! I have the mental age of a 48 year old. My wife lost her job due to the virus. I deal with death on a weekly basis.

Still find time for humour though!

By the way, do read deVores excellent dissertation on the positives one can ascertain from the current situation. (Cannot find the link, but Its there)

Now that youre here Mr 19 or is it Mr Covid?

Anyway can you settle an argument

Will a mask keep you away

Yes or No will suffice and stop about a billion mindless posts

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Now that youre here Mr 19 or is it Mr Covid?

Anyway can you settle an argument

Will a mask keep you away

Yes or No will suffice and stop about a billion mindless posts

Thanks in advance

It's a touchy subject

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Wombatman wrote: »
    Low numbers of completed tests = low numbers of confirmed cases. Sorry I keep harping on about this but I can't see how those low numbers are good.

I expect we will see an increase in the deaths to confirmed cases ratio in the coming weeks. The number of deaths will rises, as predicted, but the number of confirmed cases won't because of testing bottle necks.

If we can only complete 1500 cases a day, with currently about 15% testing positive, we can only confirm 225 cases max per day, 15% of 1500.

Today 212 very close to 225.

WE WON'T SEE BIG NUMBERS OF CONFIRMED CASES BECAUSE WE CAN'T.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE NUMBERS AREN'T THERE.

Sorry for shouting.

Yes but look at the rate of people in ICU that matches roughly where we should be given our numbers. Our death rate is up and down but its not growing like it did in the UK, Spain or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

syngindub wrote: »
    It's a touchy subject

No touching allowed remember social distancing otherwise He *points to Covid19* will get you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

humberklog wrote: »
    I wonder will Leo in his next address to the nation mention the reaction to the Boards.ie account called Covid19 as an example of how tightly peoples knickers are twisted.

I wonder would the parents of the 6 month old who died today from COVID-19 find it so hilariously funny.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement