Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Testing only determines how effective we are at slowing it if we are doing enough testing.Testing means that we know who has the virus so that we can plan for treatment. It also means that front line staff can be cleared for work in the fight against the virus and not sit at home in isolation. The inability to up the testing even to 2000 per day means we cant deploy all the resources we have to fight the virus. The WHO places a huge premium on testing, last week the governments target was 10000 to 150000 tests per day they way below what they claim to be their target.
    You really just keep repeating yourself.

And you refuse to accept that delays are due to an international shortage of vital reagents. Do you have any spare viral lysis buffer or RNA extraction solution?

Testing is still being carried out, and it is being performed on those that need it the most.

As of today:
    Italy have carried out 8,573.49 tests per million people.
    The US have carried out 3,344.58 tests per million people
    The UK have carried out 2,126.50 tests per million
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

Ireland has carried out 6,255 tests per million people (rough maths using the population as 4.83m)

We are doing a good job in the current circumstances.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    By the way, earlier you posted that:
    "As a scientist you should really know that but then again you were reporting last week that 5000 tests per day were going through the labs so maybe your knowledge is restricted to repeating good news spin from uninformed sources.

Every number I post is from HSE sources you seem to be posting unverified information and always spinning it to say that the HSE are doing more tests than they are. Do you work for the HSE or something?"

I asked you to prove that i made such claims. Not only did you not reply to me, you deleted your post.

ITman88 wrote: »
    A ban????

We are in a police state now!

We're in a Beasty state....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Free the covid 19

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wonder would the parents of the 6 month old who died today from COVID-19 find it so hilariously funny.

Applying that theory so . . .

I’m offended by your user name after the scandals some priests were responsible for

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smallfryy

I wonder would the parents of the 6 month old who died today from COVID-19 find it so hilariously funny.

Did a baby really die from it? Ugh reading that makes me feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

On a serious note. Living in rural Ireland, we are surrounded by many, many older folk who are living alone, pretty scared and, due to their likely adherence to doing what they are asked, will not leave their houses. I would kindly ask folks to think about anyone they may know who may be living on their own and maybe reach out to them through the local Gardai and they will call around to see if they are OK.

Sometimes, if we think someone else will do it, the chances are, no-one will do it. They may need food, a small brandy, a few cans or even some meds.

Worth looking into, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but look at the rate of people in ICU that matches roughly where we should be given our numbers. Our death rate is up and down but its not growing like it did in the UK, Spain or Italy.
    It's a worry and I do find myself getting frustrated at the drop in testing. But I get more frustrated at the evasive answers or we don't have the information to hand responses. Everybody talks about South Korea but we can look much closer, at Germany. They're talking to these guys daily, so use that resource and get more pro-active cos it seems too re-active at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

humberklog wrote: »
    I wonder will Leo in his next address to the nation mention the reaction to the Boards.ie account called Covid19 as an example of how tightly peoples knickers are twisted.

Will Covid19 become Covid20 next winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Even younger. The baby was six weeks old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Healthcare workers have been issued car stickers by the HSE (East Group at least). Sorry if this has been mentioned before, fairly swift thread to try and follow.

https://pasteboard.co/J1Qpsoo.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

smallfryy wrote: »

Yes:

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1245433474569457664?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Danzy wrote: »
    Singapore is a tiny city State where chewing gum is a criminal offence and the police will beat the tar out of you for any minor infringement, before the Judge comes down on you like a sledge.

They also went through something similar with a previous Chinese flu outbreak, SARS 1.

I'll counter with the fact that they also have a population of almost 6 million people living in an area equivalent to Co. Louth...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Covid19 wrote: »
    On a serious note. Living in rural Ireland, we are surrounded by many, many older folk who are living alone, pretty scared and, due to their likely adherence to doing what they are asked, will not leave their houses. I would kindly ask folks to think about anyone they may know who may be living on their own and maybe reach out to them through the local Gardai and they will call around to see if they are OK.

Sometimes, if we think someone else will do it, the chances are, no-one will do it. They may need food, a small brandy, a few cans or even some meds.

Poster registers name for banter and then gets serious and makes public service announcements......I'm confused Ted:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You really just keep repeating yourself.

And you refuse to accept that delays are due to an international shortage of vital reagents. Do you have any spare viral lysis buffer or RNA extraction solution?

Testing is still being carried out, and it is being performed on those that need it the most.

As of today:
    Italy have carried out 8,573.49 tests per million people.
    The US have carried out 3,344.58 tests per million people
    The UK have carried out 2,126.50 tests per million
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

Ireland has carried out 6,255 tests per million people (rough maths using the population as 4.83m)

We are doing a good job in the current circumstances.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    By the way, earlier you posted that:

I asked you to prove that i made such claims. Not only did you not reply to me, you deleted your post.

I certainly did not delete any post, again you are mistaken. You seem to repeat untruth after untruth about testing numbers and when you are faced with the facts that we are way below what you are claiming then you accuse me of deleting posts. .You made a claim about RTE saying that there were 5000 tests a day. I will try find those post for you.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Now that youre here Mr 19 or is it Mr Covid?

Anyway can you settle an argument

Will a mask keep you away

Yes or No will suffice and stop about a billion mindless posts

Thanks in advance

Sure..

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
    Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
    Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
    Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
    To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water

WHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

smallfryy wrote: »

A baby died sadly.

However the report said

“ a baby who tested positive has died”

That suggests it may not of been the cause of death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

WHO

Who what now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does it really? I find it very hard to see the momentum for a proper riot building in the current climate. As someone in the relaxation of restrictions thread pointed out, Italians aren't 'restless', they're hungry and scared...

They're hungry and scared?

Are they getting any kind of payment from the government for food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Using the crude measure of deaths per million, we are currently 12th when micro-states are excluded - mind you, the countries ahead of us have astronomical rates - Belgium on 71 DPM, Holland on 68, and Switzerland on 56, so while our 17 is unwelcome, it's far from exceptional in Europe.

Does that take into account the stage we're at (from the announcement of the first death)? I see in the graph ( http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/ ) where Belgium are far outstripping us, but in terms of where we are now, the figures are Belgium 19/Ireland 14.

Would obviously be happy to be proven wrong on this. And I do get that in a country with smaller population (particularly with the micro-states, but also with ourselves) that a cluster resulting in 10 deaths can seriously warp our figures.

New Home wrote: »
    Who what now?

World Health Or.......Ah, I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sky News are reveling in this

It's sick

You're all about the CRAIC, covid19. That's why I like you. Your name is good old Irish Craic, and **** it, if we can't have a bit of the old craic in these dark dark times, what have we left?
    Cheers and slainte and here's to a bit of old craic, ya mad yolk ya!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This doc predicts a 4 week period for social distancing measures to take effect. Sobering though. Well worth a listen.

The Irish Times World View Podcast] Coronavirus: a respiratory consultant’s insights #theIrishTimesWorldViewPodcast

https://podplayer.net/?id=100232680

Ninthlife wrote: »
    No touching allowed remember social distancing otherwise He *points to Covid19* will get you

Hmmmm.

It's sick

Remember Elliot Carver from that Bond movie: "There's no news like bad news."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

can you give a clue to what youre linking to, at all?

just 'donate to the red cross', even

Irish Red Cross volunteers are being called into action to assist the emergency services and support their local communities, please help and donate

Wombatman wrote: »

If we can only complete 1500 cases a day, with currently about 15% testing positive, we can only confirm 225 cases max per day, 15% of 1500.

Today 212 very close to 225.

Say we do test 1,500 a day (currently).
    Those 1,500 aren't a random selection from the population. Those are people highly suspected as having Covid19.
    They may have multiple symptoms, high risk patients, contacts with confirmed cases, have underlying conditions etc.

We've increased the number of positive cases per test from 6% to 15%. This is a good thing. It shows that the narrower criteria is working, its finding more cases.

We're actively looking for cases from this group of "1,500".
    And yet we're finding ~200-300 cases. That is a good thing.

We're going fishing in a pool where you'd expect to find the most fish, and you're not finding as many as you thought.

This indicates the restrictive measures are working; the social distancing, the school closures, the handwashing, all of it.

We have a long way to go but we're keeping our heads above water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They're hungry and scared?

Are they getting any kind of payment from the government for food?
    “They are no longer singing or dancing on the balconies,” said Salvatore Melluso, a priest at Caritas Diocesana di Napoli, a church-run charity in Naples. “Now people are more afraid – not so much of the virus, but of poverty. Many are out of work and hungry. There are now long queues at food banks.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/singing-stops-italy-fear-social-unrest-mount-coronavirus-lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Can you clarify what you keep referring to about tests "being done". Do you mean people being swabbed or tests actually performed? Because they are two different things and lots of people use the term "testing" for both.

Coyote has posted numbers from RTE today. ~5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs across the country. Even if certain centres are running low on swabs, it will give the labs a chance to catch up with the backlog until more swabs arrive.
    Completely wrong, we never got close to testing 5000 per day
    There wasn't near the amount of tests requested to be processed when we began. Testing has ramped up to try and meet demand. Getting the average number of tests done per day is useless. It makes it seem like we're testing f*ck all.
    If the number of tests done as of the 23rd March was ~18,000 and now it is at ~33,000 that implies we have processed ~15,000 tests in the last week, averaging 2,143 a day.
    Again totally wrong numbers, we never hit 2000 according to the HSE
    The number of tests to date (~33,000) is the number of people that have had a swab taken, lab processed and results released.
    Wrong again, we tested a lot less than 33,000.
    We are carrying out more thasn 2,000 tests a day, and that number is increasing.
    We will never know the true number of infected people because many are asymptomatic and will never seek to be tested. That isn't a limitation of the testing process.
    Wrong again.

Time and time again you post incorrect numbers that you seem to make up. They are found nowhere on HSE press releases.
    You are supposed to be involved science , you should know that you should be factual and have source material. You have been very insulting when faced with facts and now you are accusing me of deleting posts .
    Do you work for the HSE or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If it bleeds, it leads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Question, have a friend who rang me today he is a single stay at home dad , wife not around anymore ( different country) he lives near his parents who are Both over 70 other than that he has no family near to him or very close friends .. over the last few days he has got a bad cold no temperature but is feeling fairly rotten . He is now terrified he might getting/has the virus as he has no one to look after the kids and can’t really be self isolating. GP is ringing him again tomorrow to see if he needs to be tested.
    Who would be best to contact if he needs outside help with the children his next of kin are both over 70 .. a very worried man tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Unfortunately, information technology has both benefitted us and hindered us in dealing with the pandemic. In the past, many people died, at home and in hospital, and there wasn't a daily body count listed on a mobile device or computer. People could forget about things that are now a click of a mouse away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I wouldn't. They have a much higher mortality rate per million than Ireland and their trajectory is frightening by comparison to other Nordic countries.

Not at all, taking they started their journey a full month before Ireland did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ITman88 wrote: »
    A ban????

We are in a police state now!

The UK may be getting there but we are far from a Police State

The Gardai are far too easy going for anything close to a Police State

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

eddie73 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, information technology has both benefitted us and hindered us in dealing with the pandemic. In the past, many people died, at home and in hospital, and there wasn't a daily body count listed on a mobile device or computer. People could forget about things that are now a click of a mouse away.

So ignorance is bliss?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

By the way did anyone postpone health insurance premiums???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It's sick

Sky News are trying to see just how much plague the viewers need in order to be satisfied, sated but not bloated by it. It’s difficult for them, an entity with no standards or ethics, to judge public feeling, which is what it’s all about now, nothing to do with reporting the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I always wanted Malcolm McDowell to play a Bond villian, but I had to make do with Star Trek.

I certainly did not delete any post, again you are mistaken. You seem to repeat untruth after untruth about testing numbers and when you are faced with the facts that we are way below what you are claiming then you accuse me of deleting posts. .You made a claim about RTE saying that there were 5000 tests a day. I will try find those post for you.
    Hmm ok, i just couldn't link to it here on my PC. My mistake.

I'm looking through my own posts now. I did say:
    "Coyote has posted numbers from RTE today. ~5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs across the country."

I quoted a post by Coyote.

I absolutely do not post untruth. I try to post valid information from a laboratory testing perspective. What background do you have to criticise a national service during a pandemic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Mtmt

His local family support services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

whats up with people wearing masks while driving. Is it a waste of usage of a mask in a car with the windows up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The whole testing in this country seems to be a complete shambles. Heating stories of people waiting over 8 days for their results back.

Seems like the chickens are coming home to roost about how many predicted the HSE wouldnt be able to cope with such a crisis. Thank god for the heros in the hospitals and other front line staffers but i fear the next fortnight is gonna be grim reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

harr wrote: »
    Question, have a friend who rang me today he is a single stay at home dad , wife not around anymore ( different country) he lives near his parents who are Both over 70 other than that he has no family near to him or very close friends .. over the last few days he has got a bad cold no temperature but is feeling fairly rotten . He is now terrified he might getting/has the virus as he has no one to look after the kids and can’t really be self isolating. GP is ringing him again tomorrow to see if he needs to be tested.
    Who would be best to contact if he needs outside help with the children his next of kin are both over 70 .. a very worried man tonight.

Could you as his friend take the kids (if they are not infected) or another friend? Tough situation if he is a positive carrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

harr wrote: »

How would we know? Do you mean county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Hmm ok, i just couldn't link to it here on my PC. My mistake.

I'm looking through my own posts now. I did say:
    "Coyote has posted numbers from RTE today. ~5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs across the country."

I quoted a post by Coyote.

I absolutely do not post untruth. I try to post valid information from a laboratory testing perspective. What background do you have to criticise a national service during a pandemic?

Only 1500 people are being tested per day, according to RTÉ today. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0401/1127767-coronavirus-ireland-testing/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Arghus wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the naivete of people who say how can they impose stricter restrictions, as if this is as restricted as it gets.

This is restrictive, unbelievably so. But it's nowhere near what it could be. You could be in for a shock in a week or two. I hope not, but who knows.

There's plenty of people still out walking everywhere, there isn't really that visable of a presence of cops, you can go as often and as far as you like to the shops and plenty of factories and workplaces that aren't really essential have massaged that interpretation of the rules to stay open.

Harsher would mean only bare bones essential services staying open - chemists, foodstores, perhaps some banks. All restaurants closing, even for takeaway, remaining places of work except for those in the medical industry being closed. No more 2km walks. Maybe even no more walks outside full stop. And limitations on numbers of visits to foodshop, with only one person per household allowed. And cops and the army really up in your face asking you all about your business. That's a full lock down.

Takeaways will not close no matter what.
    If they did, a lot of neglected children would go hungry. €5 from a drunk or high mother isn't much use in Lidl for an 8 year old child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Truth be told the Elliott Carver character is just a more extreme fictional version of Rupert Murdoch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

syngindub wrote: »
    whats up with people wearing masks while driving. Is it a waste of usage of a mask in a car with the windows up??

Farting in a confined space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

syngindub wrote: »

I suppose if you go to few places you don't want to touch it till you're finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

New Home wrote: »
    So ignorance is bliss?

In the 1950s TB killed 10,000 per year in Dublin alone nearly 1/2 of them children. Nobody even mentions it now. There was nothing could be done about it then until a vaccine was found, there’s nothing can be done about this either, until a vaccine is found.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement