Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

harr wrote: »
    Question, have a friend who rang me today he is a single stay at home dad , wife not around anymore ( different country) he lives near his parents who are Both over 70 other than that he has no family near to him or very close friends .. over the last few days he has got a bad cold no temperature but is feeling fairly rotten . He is now terrified he might getting/has the virus as he has no one to look after the kids and can’t really be self isolating. GP is ringing him again tomorrow to see if he needs to be tested.
    Who would be best to contact if he needs outside help with the children his next of kin are both over 70 .. a very worried man tonight.

Is he in Dublin?

Most of the Local Authorities have set up Helplines to link up volunteers with people who need assistance

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/coronavirus-ireland-dublin-city-council-18016421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lavinia wrote: »
    Not at all, taking they started their journey a full month before Ireland did

Assuming this is true, it doesn't refute either point Professor Moriarty made:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

syngindub wrote: »
    whats up with people wearing masks while driving. Is it a waste of usage of a mask in a car with the windows up??

Could be going to/returning from testing.

Not a waste imo, same people are probably wearing it outside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

harr wrote: »
    Question, have a friend who rang me today he is a single stay at home dad , wife not around anymore ( different country) he lives near his parents who are Both over 70 other than that he has no family near to him or very close friends ......

Could you take the children for a while if needed? I mean if he rang you telling you he must consider you a good friend. He probably didn’t want to ask directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know what is the typical roster the doctors and nurses within the wards are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Assuming this is true, it doesn't refute either point Professor Moriarty made:confused:

Check it online, they had their first case in end of January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

trump insists all reporters have to sit two feet apart and then he praises them for social distancing....while hes got a six man team behind him on stage all nearly on top of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just looking at lineup of Trump and his pals at tonights press conference... shoulder to shoulder !!! Room too small even for journos in seating

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

splinter65 wrote: »
    In the 1950s TB killed 10,000 per year in Dublin alone nearly 1/2 of them children. Nobody even mentions it now. There was nothing could be done about it then until a vaccine was found, there’s nothing can be done about this either, until a vaccine is found.

I really don't follow you.

1. Something could and can be done about both: isolation/containment.
    2. Measures were taken back then, too (e.g. no spitting).
    3. Fukushima, or even Chernobyl or Bhopal aren't at the top of anyone's list of hot topics at the moment, but does that mean they weren't important to people?

Like I said, I don't follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Could you as his friend take the kids (if they are not infected) or another friend? Tough situation if he is a positive carrier
    We can’t unfortunately as we have a kid who would be in vulnerable group. I am trying to make contact with members of my family to see if we can help out.. hopefully it won’t come or that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

dougm1970 wrote: »
    trump insists all reporters have to sit two feet apart and then he praises them for social distancing....while hes got a six man team behind him on stage all nearly on top of each other.

Extremely reckless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Say we do test 1,500 a day (currently).
    Those 1,500 aren't a random selection from the population. Those are people highly suspected as having Covid19.
    They may have multiple symptoms, high risk patients, contacts with confirmed cases, have underlying conditions etc.

We've increased the number of positive cases per test from 6% to 15%. This is a good thing. It shows that the narrower criteria is working, its finding more cases.

We're actively looking for cases from this group of "1,500".
    And yet we're finding ~200-300 cases. That is a good thing.

We're going fishing in a pool where you'd expect to find the most fish, and you're not finding as many as you thought.

This indicates the restrictive measures are working; the social distancing, the school closures, the handwashing, all of it.

We have a long way to go but we're keeping our heads above water.

This is just meaningless crap.

Why do you think we want to ramp up to 15000 test completions a day if everything is awesome right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

In the 1950s TB killed 10,000 per year in Dublin alone nearly 1/2 of them children. Nobody even mentions it now. There was nothing could be done about it then until a vaccine was found, there’s nothing can be done about this either, until a vaccine is found.

Agree completely here.

We follow advice and restrictions given.

But the virus will become a distant memory soon enough.

They was little information about the flu endemic in Italy a few years ago that was accredited with 50k deaths in Italy and swept through Europe. Nobody was worried because no one new a thing about it.

ITman88 wrote: »
    A baby died sadly.

However the report said

“ a baby who tested positive has died”

That suggests it may not of been the cause of death.

100% this covid is becoming a blanket term for all deaths now. and you cannot ask if it's accurate because there are no visitors allowed, no funerals and the body is burned! IM not being insensitive but most old folks homes would have a death rate anyway correct? that's why they're in that place, because they can no longer help themselves, it's often a terrible choice to put a loved one in such a place. You often hear the phrase, they lose heart and die. So I would imagine there are many who die of normal old age issues just as there are young people who die from UNdiagnosed underlying issues every day.... calling it covid related as many sections of the media are, is incorrect. As we have very little kits, I assume anyone in a home who dies of flu, heart failure, even unexplained issues, will be labelled as having had it and buried in the same way the HSE say if you have had no test and feel unwell, assume you have Covid-19..WTF is that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Wombatman wrote: »

Why do you think we want to ramp up to 15000 test completions a day if everything is awesome right now?

Because the lockdown will only end when there are zero new daily cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Updated Spanish figures:

New cases: 8,195

New deaths: 923

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Very interesting article but of course there's too little known about it as yet.
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1245454273401335808?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

The Trump briefing is 15 mins old and all they've talked about so far is the war on drugs. Such a strange country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,529 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

rusty cole wrote: »
    100% this covid is becoming a blanket term for all deaths now. and you cannot ask if it's accurate because there are no visitors allowed, no funerals and the body is burned! IM not being insensitive but most old folks homes would have a death rate anyway correct? that's why they're in that place, because they can no longer help themselves, it's often a terrible choice to put a loved one in such a place. You often hear the phrase, they lose heart and die. So I would imagine there are many who die of normal old age issues just as there are young people who die from UNdiagnosed underlying issues every day.... calling it covid related as many sections of the media are, is incorrect. As we have very little kits, I assume anyone in a home who dies of flu, heart failure, even unexplained issues, will be labelled as having had it and buried in the same way the HSE say if you have had no test ans feel unwell, assume you have Covid-19..WTF is that!

Yeah.
    It’s all about the cause of death.
    What would of been considered respiratory failure could of been pneumonia or what ever, it’s now classified as covid 19.

It’s important to remember you can get this virus and die, but you don’t necessarily die from the virus.

The link here is interesting, it reiterates your point
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51979654

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Hmm ok, i just couldn't link to it here on my PC. My mistake.
    Yes you were wrong again about me deleting my post but you didn't check before you blundered forth and made made accusations.
    I'm looking through my own posts now. I did say:
    "Coyote has posted numbers from RTE today. ~5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs across the country."

I quoted a post by Coyote.
    So you repeat posts that are false and then blame that poster. Did the dog eat your science project too? You should own your own mistakes, it makes life easier.
    I absolutely do not post untruth. I try to post valid information from a laboratory testing perspective. What background do you have to criticise a national service during a pandemic?
    I have just posted many examples of how you posted untruths and now you say you don't post untruths. You seem to spend your time defending everything the HSE do, I can only assume that you are working for them or have no critical faculties. You have a very HSE attitude to mistakes and untruths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭crossman47

ricero wrote: »
    The whole testing in this country seems to be a complete shambles. Heating stories of people waiting over 8 days for their results back.

Seems like the chickens are coming home to roost about how many predicted the HSE wouldnt be able to cope with such a crisis. Thank god for the heros in the hospitals and other front line staffers but i fear the next fortnight is gonna be grime reading.

It may well be grim but not because of testing. Remember testing makes no difference to an individuals treatment. If they think they have the virus they should isolate, take paracetemol, etc. It is important as regards tracing contacts but they are now going to do that for all who get a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Wombatman wrote: »

We want to get to 15000 per day so we can slowly lift restrictions. Once we have the capacity to test everybody that needs a test we can slowly return to normal. In the mean time what we are doing is sufficient. We are testing the people who have symptoms so we can identify how many people are likely to need care in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lavinia wrote: »
    Check it online, they had their first case in end of January

February. What's your point about preferring to be in Sweden?

seen shaun attwood interview a head today (joel skousen) who claims these tests for coronavirus worldwide are not covid-19 only tests...but for all coronaviruses...so if you had another coronavirus and not covid-19 you get a positive test...and a lot of these positives could just be common colds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Trump press conference is all about the war on drugs for some reason. What the actual ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

My father often talked about the scourge that TB was when he was growing up. It was highly infectious and often fatal. It occurred in all age ranges and many young people died. I’ve never seen any statistics for the numbers of cases or deaths.
    Dr Noel Browne is often credited with ridding Ireland of TB. But that’s not really the case. It was the availability of antibiotics in the 1950s that was mainly responsible for the eradication of TB and, in fairness to Dr Browne, he always acknowledged that. He did do a great deal to improve the conditions under which TB patients were treated.
    TB was rampant in Ireland at a time when there were many infectious diseases around with hardly any treatment or vaccines available. It was regarded as just another one of the hazards of life at the time.
    In more recent times we have got used to the fact that there is a treatment or a vaccine for nearly every disease. That is why we are so traumatised by the arrival of a disease that we are defenceless against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

That general at trump press conference is some talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Completely wrong, we never got close to testing 5000 per day

Again totally wrong numbers, we never hit 2000 according to the HSE

Wrong again, we tested a lot less than 33,000.

Wrong again.

Time and time again you post incorrect numbers that you seem to make up. They are found nowhere on HSE press releases.
    You are supposed to be involved science , you should know that you should be factual and have source material. You have been very insulting when faced with facts and now you are accusing me of deleting posts .
    Do you work for the HSE or something?

Ah, yeah, it’s pretty obvious from Martina’s posts that she works for the HSE. I don’t think she’s ever hidden that. Based on the detail in her posts, I find her posts trustworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

seen shaun attwood interview a head today (joel skousen) who claims these tests for coronavirus worldwide are not covid-19 only tests...but for all coronaviruses...so if you had another coronavirus and not covid-19 you get a positive test...and a lot of these positives could just be common colds.

I was ridiculed for pointing this out before

• Advertisement

Never trust a man who speaks out of the side of his mouth like this shifty ****er..

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/viralnews/18325427.fourth-death-confirmed-ireland-places-huge-order-covid-19-test-equipment/

A friend of mine was in croker yesterday for a test and was out in minutes, it was empty. same as the docks and other EMERGENCY test centers. This is also the same in the UK, lots lying idle. This means we have the means by which to test but no bloody kits.. now Leo comes on the news and passes it off as a learning process!!! it's a shambles..meanwhile other countries have returned faulty masks tot he place of origin CHINA!! and here we are, low on kits and with an impending integrity of same issue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,966 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's a guy near me who's in his seventies and he's protesting because the church is closed!
    92422123_10158305101973185_6189460491044126720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=nizyOlYzd0cAX_5u1x1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=b1d729812ffeffadfb3dd42cccdb862c&oe=5EA8F3E9

While a vaccine of course resolved the issue of TB the mother and child scheme would have helped and not just with TB, however we know how that got the kibosh.

Also it's still in living memory for a lot of people, especially those that lost people to it, and those that lived through that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

507915.png

Gods Gift wrote: »
    That general at trump press conference is some talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ricero wrote: »
    The whole testing in this country seems to be a complete shambles. Heating stories of people waiting over 8 days for their results back.

Seems like the chickens are coming home to roost about how many predicted the HSE wouldnt be able to cope with such a crisis. Thank god for the heros in the hospitals and other front line staffers but i fear the next fortnight is gonna be grime reading.

There are shortages of testing materials, even down to plastic consumables. The reason for that is that there is such huge demand worldwide right now. This isn’t just a HSE problem, it’s a worldwide problem. That stuff takes time to produce and distribute. You can’t just magic it all up.

People looking to have a go at the HSE without having any notion of the logistics are such sad sacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

WOW - such experts in this field telling the truth that we are testing for the common cold

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Very interesting article but of course there's too little known about it as yet.
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1245454273401335808?s=19

This makes sense. Like for example, in hiv, the viral load is undetectable while taking the medication and the transmission is less with medication. Without medication, the viral load continues and infection transmission is easier.

I wanted to go to London for that vaccine so that I could get the Covid-19 in a controlled manner where I would be monitored. Would there be any Irish labs/scientists working on a vaccine needing people for testing? It's something I would like to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Ah, yeah, it’s pretty obvious from Martina’s posts that she works for the HSE. I don’t think she’s ever hidden that. Based on the detail in her posts, I find her posts trustworthy.
    If you are a part of an organization and adhere rigidly to their spin then it is difficult to be taken seriously. The HSE have record of spin and evasion and they seem to be bringing their A game to this outbreak unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Time and time again you post incorrect numbers that you seem to make up. They are found nowhere on HSE press releases.
    You are supposed to be involved science , you should know that you should be factual and have source material. You have been very insulting when faced with facts and now you are accusing me of deleting posts .
    Do you work for the HSE or something?

I'm searching retrospectively but here are where some sites reported some testing numbers.
    "There were around 2,000 tests carried out every day last week with between 12 - 13k tests carried out since Monday, March 16." https://www.thesun.ie/news/5234136/coronavirus-in-ireland-testing-totals-covid/
    "The HSE disclosed that 15,500 people are waiting to be tested for Covid-19 since the Government changed the criteria for testing to people displaying two symptoms of the infection. There are 5,000 tests being carried out every day.
    More than 33,000 people have been tested since March 16th." https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-ten-more-deaths-confirmed-in-republic-1.4215029

A lot of the uncertainty of numbers comes from the media saying "X amount of tests were carried out" but don't clarify if those numbers relate to swabs taken or results completed.

We're splitting hairs here talking about differences between numbers, and I have said these numbers aren't what truly matters.
    The ICU capacity and number of deaths are.

I'm certainly tired of talking about it at this stage. We will ramp up testing when we are able to.
    You and I bickering here isn't going to change the numbers or stop the pandemic.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,888 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why would we have tests for something we have know for years to be incurable??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

At a certain stage we may need to get imaginative in the west - not the strong point of western governments unfortunately.

We may need to look at controlled herd immunity as oppposed to the uncontrolled attempt in the UK.

So we give healthy citizens with no underlying conditions a low exposure to covid 19. There seems to be some evidence that a high viral load is dangerous to healthy individuals but a low load may be safer.

We give citizens the choice of low dose exposure. They would have to isolate of course for 2-3 weeks possibly in one of those large centres like the city west hotel. Test them after 10 days to confirm they are positive, then again every 10 days until they are negative.

This would be a big undertaking but at least there'd be some control of the spread.

In the absence of a vaccine this might be the only way to gradually get us out of a lockdown. And it might be the best option for healthcare staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why would we have tests for something we have know for years to be incurable??

May actually have a vaccine for the common cold soon - not that anyone would bother paying to get it I would imagine

If you are a part of an organization and adhere rigidly to their spin then it is difficult to be taken seriously. The HSE have record of spin and evasion and they seem to be bringing their A game to this outbreak.

EXACTLY, you're talking about a company that bought GERMAN swineflu vacine with knowledge that it contained an ingredient linked to narcolepsy. There was another one on the market in Canada with no such links as it did not contain the ingredient. The HSE received fair warning from Scandinavian studies and doctors who told them NOT to use it!! Guess what..they bought it, used it..and there's a slew of girls waiting to sue the state after one girl was paid a substantial sum plus her legal bill by simon harris!! they made her sign and NDA too! they SPIN with the best of them, any women with cervical issues will attest to that.. the HSE has all the integrity of Anglo irish bank//

trump telling the assembled press that hes no.1 on facebook....he seems happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

There's a guy near me who's in his seventies and he's protesting because the church is closed!
    92422123_10158305101973185_6189460491044126720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=nizyOlYzd0cAX_5u1x1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=b1d729812ffeffadfb3dd42cccdb862c&oe=5EA8F3E9

Reminiscent of the holy shrines in Iran which they'd all communally lick and spread the virus like wildfire.
    I'm glad churches here had the sense to shut early because you could see something similar happening with hand shaking and communion wafer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

At a certain stage we may need to get imaginative in the west - not the strong point of western governments unfortunately.

We may need to look at controlled herd immunity as oppposed to the uncontrolled attempt in the UK.

So we give healthy citizens with no underlying conditions a low exposure to covid 19. There seems to be some evidence that a high viral load is dangerous to healthy individuals but a low load may be safer.

We give citizens the choice of low dose exposure. They would have to isolate of course for 2-3 weeks possibly in one of those large centres like the city west hotel. Test them after 10 days to confirm they are positive, then again every 10 days until they are negative.

This would be a big undertaking but at least there'd be some control of the spread.

In the absence of a vaccine this might be the only way to gradually get us out of a lockdown.

I think what is happening is the managed creation of herd immunity. Or keeping the lid on as much as possible until vaccines or meds come along. Not too sure about deliberately infecting people no matter what age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness a lot of the older generation find it hard to see churches closed.

He isn't really doing any harm with his protest and probably needs to be shown a bit of sensitivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think what is happening is the managed creation of herd immunity. Or keeping the lid on as much as possible until vaccines or meds come along. Not too sure about deliberately infecting people no matter what age.

I think they'd need volunteers for it and conduct studies particularly around the issue of low load infection.

I am fairly sure a large number would volunteer. You could even pay them to take part.

Uncontrolled spread doesn't work and total lockdown is a bit of a sledgehammer to drive a nail approach with no exit strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

In the absence of a vaccine this might be the only way to gradually get us out of a lockdown. And it might be the best option for healthcare staff.

I think I would be first in line to do it this way. First all them science and medical professionals will have to look at it first and make sure it is safe to do so and I would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Such an approach would be the only way to effectively control a herd immunity approach. A hell of a lot more research would need to be done, along with heavy health screening for underlying conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement