Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

1,577 new cases in China - are these the asymptomatic cases or has it just woken up again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    It would be an absolute last resort as the resources required would be vast beyond belief nevermind the length of time.

People can correct me on this but of the 12,000 or so deaths in Italy, all but a small number were elderly or with underlying conditions. Many young healthy medical staff died but this appears to be related to very high viral loads as also happened in Wuhan.

If this is the case, the risk of death in young healthy adults is low if given a low dose.

You start off with a sample of 100 people and study the effects over a month. If its a relative success you roll it out to a larger group of 10,000 healthy adults. The vast majority will get over it without issues, perhaps 9,900. You now have 9,900 people available to work with vulnerable groups.

The earliest forms of vaccines going back a few hundred years were a very low dose exposure to healthy adults of a disease or a similar disease. Reactions varied but most recovered from this exposure and became immune.

Currently we know uncontrolled spread doesn't work since we don't know who is infected. With controlled spread you know who is infected.

Lockdowns work but when you lift the lockdown you are back to square one after a few weeks. Just not sustainable at any level and deaths are still high. Plus there's too many gaps in lockdowns for them to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Or he will cancel the 2020 election so he can stay in power a bit longer . Flip side to that

US presidential elections have taken place during the War of 1812, the US-Mexican war, the Civil War, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam etc. Even the President doesn`t have the power to cancel the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    1,577 new cases in China - are these the asymptomatic cases or has it just woken up again??

I'm not sure how useful the numbers are. There are an astronomical number of unknown factors.

I guess the import ones for now are number of deaths and are the ICU unit full or nearly full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

nocoverart wrote: »
    Well I'm caring for both my Parents right now and there is certain things I have to do, like the Chemist and collecting the pension for them. I'm more than happy to 100% not go out so I can protect them but that's just not feasible unfortunately.

Wishing you well and well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There are far too many variables in this to read anything from it while the numbers are still relatively low.
    That's a fair point - but in that case, people should stop spewing about how much "better" we are doing than the UK, which was my original quibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Arghus wrote: »
    This might sound fanciful, but if this runs and runs in The States and gets worse and worse - which it probably will - then I could see a situation where Trump has had enough of being President. He won't want that level of endless scrutiny, hostility and bad news. His ego will make him check out.

Check out. As re election? He is there for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

On a positive note, imagine all the people worldwide (not least in China) who have had the virus, either didn't know they had it or recovered from a very mild dose and are now immune for life (as far as we know!). Big scary virus which perhaps millions already immune from. I know it's not a great comfort now, but it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dubs renting will just move back in with the parents and commute every day spreading it everywhere.

Any retirees with a pension will just rent a holiday home for a months down the country.

Don't think it would work.

A lot of New Yorkers are currently fleeing to Florida

Yea I had thought about that - but surely there would be a way around that - for instance how many ways are their out of Dublin to certain parts of the country?

Dublin makes up a large % of the cases, and I think Cork is next. We know that every county in the country has had it at some point, but like some counties could be clear of it altogether at this stage.

Would there be many holiday homes in certain parts of the country - thinking like Carlow, Offaly, Leitrim for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I would actually say the complete opposite - everyone knows how to stop a War - one side usually kills the other or peace is brokered.

This fight we have no idea how to solve, or how to stop, sure we don't even know who is infected and who isn't - for all you know 20% of Ireland could be infected and be over the virus - but we don't know, nor will we probably ever find out. This isn't anyone's fault that's just the way the virus works.

Even if we could test 15,000 people a day - it would take nearly a year to test everyone in Ireland.

Serology testing for antibodies will solve this problem.

They take 15 mins and would cost about 6 euro a pop so we could test the whole population.

Pointless using them this early for the general population as it is more to catch people who have recovered but can see them being rolled out in a month or two.

• Advertisement

US presidential elections have taken place during the War of 1812,the US-Mexican war, the Civil War, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam etc. Even the President doesn`t have the power to cancel the election.

He can't but the senate probably can. Voting during war time didn't competently undermine the war effort. Voting now could completely undermine efforts made to control the virus. What real difference does it make if he serves a few extra months for this term.

fr336 wrote: »
    On a positive note, imagine all the people worldwide (not least in China) who have had the virus, either didn't know they had it or recovered from a very mild dose and are now immune for life (as far as we know!). Big scary virus which perhaps millions already immune from. I know it's not a great comfort now, but it will be.

I believe and could be wrong so correct me if I am.
    But the range of immunity with most corona viruses is from a few months to a few years usual not life long as it has a tenancy to mutate.

Still if you worked in a critical area, especially medical it would be fantastic to be immune even for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Has anyone been waiting a long time in results and come up positive ?

I rang the HSE today. I had my swab on Monday and they apologised to me cause I work in HC and said I should have had my results Thursday last week the latest !!

I presume i am negative or they would have called . . The paramedic said comparing with others he saw it looks like I had it ( showed him list of my temps) and that it had left my system which I'm hoping for.. I'm never physically sick and I couldn't breathe at all and I'm v fit really can run etc and couldn't breathe and temp was out the roof

Anyway can't believe I'm waiting this long and hoping for a negative. 20 days self isolation now and let me tell you trying to get 4000 steps a day in your feicin bedroom while out of breathe to keep heart ok is feicin boring lol

Yeh the whole system of testing is broken unfortunately. Bit of a joke at this stage. Waiting 8-10 days for a test and results makes the whole process almost worthless. Its odd that Ryan Tubridy, Ciara Kelly and Claire Byrne can get results but frontline nurses can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

They changed their mind and now include (positive) asymptomatic - they never used to bar one day I think (under the guidance of the WHO) then they changed their minds again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If this is the case, the risk of death in young healthy adults is low if given a low dose.

You start off with a sample of 100 people and study the effects over a month. If its a relative success you roll it out to a larger group of 10,000 healthy adults. The vast majority will get over it without issues, perhaps 9,900. You now have 9,900 people available to work with vulnerable groups.

I get what your saying, and indeed it would be great if everyone that had it knew, because then they could help with vulnerable groups etc.

However the idea of knowingly exposing 10,000 people to a virus opens up all sorts of ethical issues. Let's just say 1 of those 10,000 people die - no amount of money would ever make up for that 1 person dying. Imagine if that 1 person was a loved one of yours for instance - you'd never forgive the government for allowing such a project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Xertz wrote: »
    True, but having talked to survivors of WWII in France and elsewhere, this is unpleasant, stressful, isolating but it's on a whole other level compared to what some of them went through.

They're both terrible events, but there's something rather different about being brutally attacked, isolated, locked up, tortured or even murdered out of sheer human spite than dealing with a natural pathogen that's just going about its mindless business.

What we're dealing with right now is a natural disaster, a tragedy on a huge scale, but it's not a war caused by some evil regime trying to wipe us out.

You're talking about the people who suffered the worst in the war though, I believe the other poster was talking about the impact on the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You should only wearing be a mask if you are sick / have any symptoms unless obviously for HC staff going into isolated rooms etc normal day to day people should only wear masks if they are sick so say a cough etc. They could have a cough and I presume others who didn't have said cough where in the car so yep it's needed. If no one else in the car it has no purpose.

Chinese made it illegal for anyone to be outside without a mask.

Even simple surgical masks give you 90% protection from coronvirus droplets in the air or expelled close by.

50% of Icelands infected were asymptomatic but still highly contagious.
    Arghus wrote: »
    This might sound fanciful, but if this runs and runs in The States and gets worse and worse - which it probably will - then I could see a situation where Trump has had enough of being President. He won't want that level of endless scrutiny, hostility and bad news. His ego will make him check out.

Very fanciful.

Trump is loving this. US media can't get enough of him and are using words like sombre to describe his speeches.

They are annointing him as saviour in many parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

True, but having talked to survivors of WWII in France and elsewhere, this is unpleasant, stressful, isolating but it's on a whole other level compared to what some of them went through.

They're both terrible events, but there's something rather different about being brutally attacked, isolated, locked up, tortured or even murdered out of sheer human spite than dealing with a natural pathogen that's just going about its mindless business.

What we're dealing with right now is a natural disaster, a tragedy on a huge scale, but it's not a war caused by some evil regime trying to wipe us out.
    Granted, WWII was horrific but we can’t even see these little bastards. On a Mental level, I think this is even more distressing. Least with a War you feel somewhat in control. A gun VS a bar of soap, I’d rather have the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Yea I had thought about that - but surely there would be a way around that - for instance how many ways are their out of Dublin to certain parts of the country?

Dublin makes up a large % of the cases, and I think Cork is next. We know that every county in the country has had it at some point, but like some counties could be clear of it altogether at this stage.

Would there be many holiday homes in certain parts of the country - thinking like Carlow, Offaly, Leitrim for instance?

There's currently 3715 properties to rent in Ireland not including holiday homes, I'm sure some would get bed and breakfasts, stay in mobile homes etc and could do a deal with any landlord for a short term stay.

You couldn't barricade the roads, there would be riots. Anyone with money would be long gone out of Dublin until it settles down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

USA has recorded 1,000+ new deaths in a day, currently sitting on 1,040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

fritzelly wrote: »
    Whatsapp - the bastion of truth

Got a similar message from a mate.

507924.JPG

https://www.fakewhats.com/generator

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is this reagent so important anyway, what does it do?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

When did we start calling each other bro? 30th feb, mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Granted, WWII was horrific but we can’t even see these little bastards. On a Mental level, I think this is even more distressing. Least with a War you feel somewhat in control. A gun VS a bar of soap, I’d rather have the gun.

Its your opinion but its a ridiculous one.

Every single one of us is on the front line, doing our bit by staying at home and limiting contact with others.

In world war 2, those on the front line wanted nothing more than to be at home. Instead they were surrounded by death, cold, hunger and eventually most were forced to run directly into their untimely, painful deaths.

I know which I'd prefer.

• Advertisement

Every single one of us is on the front line, doing our bit by staying at home and limiting contact with others.

In world war 2, those on the front line wanted nothing more than to be at home. Instead they were surrounded by death, cold, hunger and eventually most were forced to run directly into their untimely, painful deaths.

I know which I'd prefer.

We're definitely not all on the frontline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

As I understand it, the reagent Transcriptase converts the virus' RNA into DNA. There's also a shortage of primers which facilitate interaction with genetic material. These reactions indicates if virus is present in samples, sort of like a litmus test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

You'd want to be a proper snowflake to think this compares to ww2. Sitting on your hole, watching netflix and bravely venturing to Tesco to do a bit of shopping. Some people would need a kick in the hole. They havent a clue what hardship is.

fritzelly wrote: »
    They changed their mind and now include (positive) asymptomatic - they never used to bar one day I think (under the guidance of the WHO) then they changed their minds again

Not really relevant to your post, but got me thinking. When this is all over the Global Community should recognise Taiwan as an independent state for the way that beautiful little island has handled this Pandemic... and fook China if they have a problem with it!

You do until someone puts one in your hands and theres someone shooting back. You wouldn't be long looking for a bar of soap then.

Anyway most likely you wouldnt get a gun, youd be taken out of your house and shot, or piled into a barn with your family and locked in before being set on fire. I'd stick to the netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

USA has recorded 1,000+ new deaths in a day, currently sitting on 1,040

Its only 5PM in LA ... could be more declared yet. Madness .

They really are heading into a sh!t storm in the USA now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

xabi wrote: »
    When did we start calling each other bro? 30th feb, mmmm

Was just trying to point out how easy it is to create a fake whatsapp chat image. Not saying the other poster is lying just showing how easy it is to generate content that can look real.

I know which I'd prefer.

I think even comparing them is ridiculous TBF, and I’m including myself in that. Chalk and Cheese.

California have declared. Its just washington left. Fauci said comparable to italy is their prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

threeball wrote: »
    California have declared. Its just washington left. Fauci said comparable to italy is their prediction.

I think it'll be far worse than italy given their healthcare model. We actually wont know the true death toll from USA because many will die without going next or near a hospital as they couldn't afford to. Sad really.

It won't change one single thing in the USA , even if 500k die. It wont change anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Washington has actually managed to stem things after a bad start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How are we off for hospital ventilators?

I see in the UK they've finally decided on which of the many options to mass manufacture, and the NHS has gone for The paraPAC™ plus 300.

Anyone with expertise or knowledge here to talk about ventilators? It does seem to be the number piece of kit/hardware in this war against Covid-19.

You'd want to be a proper snowflake to think this compares to ww2. Sitting on your hole, watching netflix and bravely venturing to Tesco to do a bit of shopping. Some people would need a kick in the hole. They havent a clue what hardship is.

It's been taken out of context.
    Someone said that this was the biggest crisis the world had faced since WW2.
    That's not comparing them, just saying it's the biggest crisis since something else happened.

fr336 wrote: »
    Massive "Source?" needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

Never say that. War is not about guns. It's about artillery surrounding your town and airplanes shelling streats, schools and hospitals, suddenly killing people on the streets.
    Sometimes you spend a months not leaving the shelter. If you go out on the street, every few hours you hear sirens and you never know is it real or fault alarm. I still remember one croatian general when journalist told them... Is it true that you have same chance to be hit by grenade as you have chance to win the lottery.. He said... It's true, but draw for this lottery is every 10 seconds. Stay in shelter.
    Every time somebody tell me how hard is in home isolation, I remember this. 30 years since, but still remember.. Take a soap and wash your hands. in war you would probably use soup for food. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

We'll see how much higher it goes but relatively speaking they're still doing better than a lot of European countries.

The US is 5 times bigger than the UK for instance but only has twice their death rate.

The big problem is New York state, 505 deaths today accounting for half of all deaths.

Ah ffs, would you ever cop on to yourself.

marilynrr wrote: »
    It's been taken out of context.
    Someone said that this was the biggest crisis the world had faced since WW2.
    That's not comparing them, just saying it's the biggest crisis since something else happened.

Maybe that post but theres tons of people complaining about how tough it is in "lockdown" or how its like a war. Its really nothing like a war. And on a scale of 1 to 10 of how hard this is and could be its about a two. People have facebook, boards, twitter, netflix, normal tv, xbox. God forbid they might even read a book but the information in it might overload them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

We'll see how much higher it goes but relatively speaking they're still doing better than a lot of European countries.

The US is 5 times bigger than the UK for instance but only has twice their death rate.

The big problem is New York state, 505 deaths today accounting for half of all deaths.

Err, you do know that even Trump, who claimed that it was one person from China and then 15 but soon to be none....is now saying that TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND deaths would represent "a great job"?

davedanon wrote: »
    Err, you do know that even Trump, who claimed that it was one person from China and then 15 but soon to be none....is now saying that TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND deaths would represent "a great job"?

I don't give a flying fig about Trump. I'm looking at the numbers only and relatively speaking for their population they're no worse than a good number of European countries. I look at data not partisan spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Things are going to get a lot worse over there. Cities queuing up to be the next New York. New York won't be the worst.

Maybe that post but theres tons of people complaining about how tough it is in "lockdown" or how its like a war. Its really nothing like a war. And on a scale of 1 to 10 of how hard this is and could be its about a two. People have facebook, boards, twitter, netflix, normal tv, xbox. God forbid they might even read a book but the information in it might overload them.

I guess it depends. I'd say for me then yes it's a 2...but then there's others and it will be far worse, those in abusive relationships, spouses and children living in those homes. We don't know what they're going through.

Then there is the loneliness for elderly people. I read in Italy that some elderly people were going out to the supermarket (even though people would deliver to them) because they just wanted to have some brief human interaction with a real person. I don't know how hard they would rate their experience on a scale of 1 to 10 but they must have found the lockdown pretty unbearable at the time to take the risk.

So while it's not a war there are certainly people out there who are having a terrible time in this lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

anyone still up, Contagion is starting on ITV2 +1 in 5 minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this time tomorrow we'll be through 1,000,000 confirmed cases, 50,000 deaths

Total: 935,189 (+76,834) deaths: 47,192 (+4,883)

• Advertisement

Things are going to get a lot worse over there. Cities queuing up to be the next New York. New York won't be the worst.

Well New York is their biggest city so I would suspect it probably will be.

California has done a very impressive job so far, they have x2 the population of New York State and only have one tenth of their deaths. Dr. Birx accredited them for taking action early.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement