Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

XsApollo wrote: »
    Well we all know the healthcare system in this country needs to be improved.
    For the money we spend and the population we have we should have one of the best in world.

How can the government change anything when the people that work in it won’t let them?
    Anytime any improvement is attempted in any public service they seem to all go on strike

In fairness, the public service is stepping up to the plate lately in the health sector, social welfare, mass redeployment elsewhere etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

there will always be people who can pay more, so i would presume there will always be private consultants / clinics that will take their money

At this moment in time, there are very few private consultants left! As all the (main) private hospitals have been requisitioned, private consultants either have to take a (temporary) HSE contract or go without work/go on the scratcher!

When this is over, some (with foresight) may see an opportunity for a complete overhaul of the health system in this country, including the HSE (along with the social welfare system).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back to Covid-19!

I don't see any update from China today (on worldometer)? Unusual as there are always figures for China first thing in the morning.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Well we all know the healthcare system in this country needs to be improved.
    For the money we spend and the population we have we should have one of the best in world.

How can the government change anything when the people that work in it won’t let them?
    Anytime any improvement is attempted in any public service they seem to all go on strike

Funny thing is we are not hearing stories of people with heart attacks, injuries and other problems waiting for treatment. By forcibly removing a lot of the red tape that exists in the health system in this country, and getting GP's to use clinical judgement before sending to A&E rather than send in for just in case tests, we may have inadvertently stumbled upon a better way to run the system once we are out the other end. I do know of a nurse working in oncology who say things have never ran as smoothly and efficiently as the last couple of weeks. They are in real fear of the peak, but there is something to be learned from this

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Heckler wrote: »
    I earn slightly more than the minimum wage. It was drilled into me from an early age when my parents had private health insurance and paid for mine that it was something to keep up. So now I do that I'm an adult. Is it fair? No. Will I take advantage of any opportunity it gives me if I get ill ? Yeah I will. I've paid thousands over the years.

I got my health insurance since my first job as employee perk. It's nice to have it if somebody pays if for you, but would I pay for it myself? Rather not. Something serious happens you end up in a public hospital anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

I earn slightly more than the minimum wage. It was drilled into me from an early age when my parents had private health insurance and paid for mine that it was something to keep up. So now I do that I'm an adult. Is it fair? No. Will I take advantage of any opportunity it gives me if I get ill ? Yeah I will. I've paid thousands over the years.

My elderly mother fell and broke her hip while visiting her daughter in the US. All told emergency services, hospital, surgery, aftercare, nurse on an aer lingus flight, ambulance to CUH from Shannon. 3 weeks in CUH recovery.

The bill from the US ? 250,000 dollars. The sale of her house may have barely covered it. VHI covered it. Thats what she got for 60 years of paying overpriced insurance premiums, her moneys worth.

I do know of a nurse working in oncology who say things have never ran as smoothly and efficiently as the last couple of weeks.

I was speaking with a (senior) consultant last week (in one of the major Dublin hospitals) and he told me he saw stuff happening in the previous 7 days that they have been try to do (...without getting anywhere...) for the last 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

My elderly mother fell and broke her hip while visiting her daughter in the US. All told emergency services, hospital, surgery, aftercare, nurse on an aer lingus flight, ambulance to CUH from Shannon. 3 weeks in CUH recovery.

The bill from the US ? 250,000 dollars. The sale of her house may have barely covered it. VHI covered it. Thats what she got for 60 years of paying overpriced insurance premiums, her moneys worth.

A €50 per year travel insurance would also cover that. When you travel outside EU health insurance is a must. Within the EU - not that much.

Morning all. I hope you’re all doing ok, I really do :)

Can someone go through the ICU situation with me?

Is it safe to say that the number they release for ICU admissions is the total over the entire crises? Would I then take away from the total all that have died? I’m assuming that they all would have been in ICU whilst medics tried to save them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

ParkRunner wrote: »
    In fairness, the public service is stepping up to the plate lately in the health sector, social welfare, mass redeployment elsewhere etc.

Yes I am well impressed with the response by them.
    I’m more talking about normal circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Morning all. I hope you’re all doing ok, I really do :)

Can someone go through the ICU situation with me?

Is it safe to say that the number they release for ICU admissions is the total over the entire crises? Would I then take away from the total all that have died? I’m assuming that they all would have been in ICU whilst medics tried to save them.

The numbers given for ICU, are the number of people that are currently in ICU.

This has been questioned a few times but following different reports than what the public briefing says every night, it is clear that the numbers given are the actual numbers that are currently in ICU's.

voluntary wrote: »
    A €50 per year travel insurance would also cover that. When you travel outside EU health insurance is a must. Within the EU - not that much.

It was the USA .

Wrong about that.

Not wrong. A worldwide travel insurance policy with USA included would have covered the US expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Article on rte news the sub covid-19 committee meeting today to review our restrictions.
    City West is ready for step down patience.
    15 patience have been moved there.
    It has1100 beds.
    Another thing in the article is a large number of patience suspected of suffering from the viruse were admitted to ICU but have tested negative for the virus.
    I could be wrong but I believe Dr Henry said in one of the press releases that there is a flew outbreak happening as well.this could count for these people

Thanks Shocksy.

I’ve limited my news and reading this thread and knew it was being queried the last time I took proper notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ZX7R wrote: »
    Article on rte news the sub covid-19 committee meeting today to review our restrictions.
    It has1100 beds.
    Another thing in the article is a large number of patience suspected of suffering from the viruse were admitted to ICU but have tested negative for the virus.
    I could be wrong but I believe Dr Henry said in one of the press releases that there is a flew outbreak happening as well.this could count for these people

A few weeks ago everyone in my office was sick.

Some had flu, some had stomach bugs, some had head colds. 2 people were hospitalised and everyone took at least one sick day.

Ireland was on a small number of covid cases and everyone thought 'what if I have covid'. None could get a test at that stage. We presume that none of us had it though we could have all had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Dozens of spring breakers from Texas boarded a plane for fun and came home with coronavirus.

About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.

Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.

Who cares, fcuk them. Like the Cheltenham crowd they should be last on any list for treatment or ventilators etc...

shocksy wrote: »
    Not wrong. A worldwide travel insurance policy with USA included would have covered the US expenses.

Maybe because she is elderly her insurance is different. I don't think any travel insurance will cover you for US medical care beyond a certain cost. By all means point me to the source of your info. Not being smart, I pay VHI and would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ZX7R wrote: »
    It has1100 beds.

Patients patients!!

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Who cares, fcuk them. Like the Cheltenham crowd they should be last on any list for treatment or ventilators etc...

Don't worry, BanditLuke will be at the door of hospitals deeming who is worthy of treatment and who are the untouchables

• Advertisement

Maybe because she is elderly her insurance is different. I don't think any travel insurance will cover you for US medical care beyond a certain cost. By all means point me to the source of your info. Not being smart, I pay VHI and would love to know.

I'm on my phone so I've attached screenshots from a policy I just checked on InsureAndGo. The policy shown is for worldwide including the USA or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I was speaking with a (senior) consultant last week (in one of the major Dublin hospitals) and he told me he saw stuff happening in the previous 7 days that they have been try to do (...without getting anywhere...) for the last 20 years!

thats pretty vague?

more ICU beads by any chance? But sure thats a balancing act

the main problem with the hospitals is step down beds and people turning up there that don't have an alternative, sometimes simply theres nowhere else out of hours to go

The dream of healthcare in the community is still a distant one and thats the solution

They wont let you leave the place, personal experience, thy kept me there 2 extra days for no reason, thats a bed wasted for those days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Patients patients!!

It's the morning I'd no sleep
    My son special needs didn't sleep so I stayed up with him let the wife sleep.
    So excuse my spelling , it's the least of my worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭893bet

Back to Covid-19!

I don't see any update from China today (on worldometer)? Unusual as there are always figures for China first thing in the morning.

Their random low number generator must be broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah but a lot of people thought both world wars would be over by Christmas.

The effects of Covid 19 could well be felt for years, even after we've returned to "normality"

Thank fook it's not a WW. Imagine the effects on Generation Pansy, who can't sit in and watch Netflix for a week without screeching about the effects on their "mental health". What would they be like if food was rationed, there was no electricity and bombs were falling.

shocksy wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so I've attached screenshots from a policy I just checked on InsureAndGo. The policy shown is for worldwide including the USA or Canada.

Thanks Shocksy. I'll ask her about it in the morning. Appreciate the info. May have things confused myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thank fook it's not a WW. Imagine the effects on Generation Pansy, who can't sit in and watch Netflix for a week without screeching about the effects on their "mental health". What would they be like if food was rationed, there was no electricity and bombs were falling.

Would it be as bad as the people/alco's who got outraged over the pubs closing?

Generation Lout would you call it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭893bet

cnocbui wrote: »
    India has the potential to make the US look like a rounding error.

India and African numbers will not get reported though.

marilynrr wrote: »
    I've seen it compared to wars before, with a difference being that with this pandemic it is far worse because of the isolation, people isolated from their partners/family/loved ones and can't even have the comfort of a hug from a loved one.

I'm reading about the siege of Leningrad at the moment. I'd rather not be able to hug someone than have to watch them die of starvation in front of me, or in some cases, have to eat them.

Yeh the whole system of testing is broken unfortunately. Bit of a joke at this stage. Waiting 8-10 days for a test and results makes the whole process almost worthless. Its odd that Ryan Tubridy, Ciara Kelly and Claire Byrne can get results but frontline nurses can't.

Not really that odd, the newspapers etc. will report about Ryan/Ciara/Claire getting their test and results quickly and Joe/Josephine Soap read about it and think everything is running great. They generally don't hear about Fiona the nurse waiting three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

easypazz wrote: »
    What is sad is using his death to have a cheap dig at Leo and others.

I really need to stop looking at twitter, its the playground of the fúcking idiot.

My sister is interested in geneolgy. She found out that my grandfather signed up at aged 13 (lied obviously about his age, cannon fodder) and fought at the Somme at 15 in the British Army. Mustard gased and made it home alive.
    Don't think he had Netflix.

Looks like we are going to pass the one million mark tomorrow

Though this was an excellent point on RTE live blog this morning
    The head of the Department of Public Health and Epidemiology at the Royal College of Surgeons has said increased and earlier contact tracing of people who develop early symptoms of Covid-19 could work more effectively than waiting for tests to confirm the presence of Covid-19.

Professor Ruairi Brugha said "we don't need to lose anything in the effectiveness of response" by moving from relying on tests to relying on "presumptive diagnoses" from GPs.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, he said that instead of having delays of up to ten days, "we can move in when people have symptoms and start contact tracing at that point".

Instead of relying on tests - just presume everyone with symptoms has it. If later confirmed negative what harm, at least contacts etc are being isolated and monitored in the interim on the chance that its positive

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Relative is heart ward in Dublin hospital. Tested negative when brought in with ongoing pneumonia. Tested before being brought to ward 21/2 weeks ago.

Someone on ward has tested positive, All patients now being tested. God help them . So important we keep testing the staff as much as possible

Relative has been in and out since December with lung and heart issues. Now possibly will have contacted covid in hospital setting. We hope for a good outcome but fear worst

pjohnson wrote: »
    Would it be as bad as the people/alco's who got outraged over the pubs closing?

Generation Lout would you call it?

Haven't seen anyone outraged with the pubs closing. Did this happen in your imagination??

Looks like we are going to pass the one million mark tomorrow

Should pass it today. There were almost 77K new cases worldwide yesterday. Should also pass 50K deaths also today.

Ah no, Shelly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

My sister is interested in geneolgy. She found out that my grandfather signed up at aged 13 (lied obviously about his age, cannon fodder) and fought at the Somme at 15 in the British Army. Mustard gased and made it home alive.
    Don't think he had Netflix.

I mean there were massive mental health issues when people got back from WWI. People an find examples of those who made it through ok but many more did not.

Let's not pretend that our grandfather's could somehow stiff upper lip their way out of every mental health issue. This nonsense of previous generations being mentally tougher is just like a country not testing for Corona virus. No one looked so no one found anything while people and their loved ones suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Should pass it today. There were almost 77K new cases worldwide yesterday. Should also pass 50K deaths also today.

So 1 in 8000 has it, and 1% of those die?

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean there were massive mental health issues when people got back from WWI. People an find examples of those who made it through ok but many more did not.

Let's not pretend that our grandfather's could somehow stiff upper lip their way out of every mental health issue. This nonsense of previous generations being mentally tougher is just like a country not testing for Corona virus. No one looked so no one found anything while people and their loved ones suffered.

Lets not pretend that we don't have a generation of self obsessed twats and instagram "models" who couldn't make ****ing toast if their life depended on it.

Not saying there was no mental issues. The issue is the teen 20's are having mental issues now. ****ing twats..

Lets not pretend that we don't have a generation of self obsessed twats and instagram "models" who couldn't make ****ing toast if their life depended on it.

Not saying there was no mental issues. The issue is the teen 20's are having mental issues now. ****ing twats..

WW1 invented PSTD, the original snowflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Christy42 wrote: »

To be fair though, they would most likely have witnessed someone being blown to bits in front of them or some such so that might entitle them to a bit of a lip wobble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

Sorry if it was discussed already..in Sweden life remained pretty much normal with small exceptions but schools, creches are open, people are working etc. yet their numbers are not really much higher than anywhere else (?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

A 6 week old baby died in America. A 13 year old died in the UK, a 16 year old died in France. A 42 year old died in Ireland (going by what another poster said here yesterday).

I think there will be deaths of all ages and not just the old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

uli84 wrote: »
    Sorry if it was discussed already..in Sweden life remained pretty much normal with small exceptions but schools, creches are open, people are working etc. yet their numbers are not really much higher than anywhere else (?)

like in Spain, cases rocketting again, despite being on lockdown for almost 3 weeks.
    its gonna spread anyway, just get it over with, now all they're doing is destroying the economy and peoples mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,790 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A 6 week old baby died in America. A 13 year old died in the UK, a 16 year old died in France. A 42 year old died in Ireland (going by what another poster said here yesterday).

they tend to announce these deaths without an autopsy having been done. you can die with something , not because of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There will be but they will be extreme outliers, the media love these stories as they generate clicks,fear and panic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

There will be but they will be extreme outliers, the media love these stories as they generate clicks,fear and panic.

Create fear and panic. If it gets idiots to take things seriously, I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

WW1 invented PSTD, the original snowflakes

PTSD with good bloody reason.
    This restriction period is not comparable to war.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement