Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭Be right back

ZX7R wrote: »
    It's the morning I'd no sleep
    My son special needs didn't sleep so I stayed up with him let the wife sleep.
    So excuse my spelling , it's the least of my worries

Fair play to you, that's not easy. Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Levity interlude.
    Sandra, the orangutan, is mimicking her carers who have been washing their hands much more frequently. Awwww :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Create fear and panic. If it gets idiots to take things seriously, I'm all for it.

Fear and panic is not good. Anxiety levels rise and people so irrational things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

China 35 new cases 6 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

uli84 wrote: »
    Sorry if it was discussed already..in Sweden life remained pretty much normal with small exceptions but schools, creches are open, people are working etc. yet their numbers are not really much higher than anywhere else (?)

They're doing very badly compared with their neighbours - Norway and Denmark

It looks like a disastrous strategy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Gynoid wrote: »
    PTSD with good bloody reason.
    This restriction period is not comparable to war.

Yes..being asked to watch Netflix for two weeks is the same as WWII...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Sorry if it was discussed already..in Sweden life remained pretty much normal with small exceptions but schools, creches are open, people are working etc. yet their numbers are not really much higher than anywhere else (?)

The Swedish are distinctly more inclined to follow guidelines. Many people will work from home or take their children out of school and will socially distance anyway.

We're more cavalier and if we weren't specifically told to stay inside we'd be doing business as usual. It's all down to societal norms. The media never give a context for its stories, that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

There will be but they will be extreme outliers, the media love these stories as they generate clicks,fear and panic.

Your point almost hints that these specific cases should not be reported?

It's common sense that the sick and old will die in greater numbers or have greater risk of dying from from pretty much anything.
    However it was pedalled by media/government that it didn't affect the young and healthy with any great significance. We know now that isn't true and it's important to highlight this because many of the isolation breakers are young people (not exclusively )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

gabeeg wrote: »
    They're doing very badly compared with their neighbours - Norway and Denmark

It looks like a disastrous strategy

If Sweden had followed Norway and Denmark, instead of 239 deaths, they would have had between 80-180.

Calling any of those figures 'disastrous' is ludicrous.

This time last year, if I suggested shutting millions of people into their homes for weeks at a time to save between 60 and 160 people, I would have been laughed at.

This is a mass delusion. In a year you won't wonder what came over you to think that this was reasonable - you'll deny you ever thought it was a good idea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Lillyfae wrote: »
    To be fair though, they would most likely have witnessed someone being blown to bits in front of them or some such so that might entitle them to a bit of a lip wobble.

Sure. But if we missed people having issues after seeing their friends blown up how many other issues did we miss. Like they were the most obvious cases going and people still go on as if they got on with it with a stuff upper lip. So what else did we miss?

• Advertisement

Yesterdays numbers:

Denmark - 247 new cases and 14 new deaths
    Norway - 236 new cases and 5 new deaths
    Sweden - 512 new cases and 59 new deaths

Things are significantly worse in Sweden.

A 6 week old baby died in America. A 13 year old died in the UK, a 16 year old died in France. A 42 year old died in Ireland (going by what another poster said here yesterday).

I think there will be deaths of all ages and not just the old.

Context again. Not every young person (or baby, as I know all too well) is completely healthy.

For fcuks sake people, if you're going to read a media article at least do your research before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,790 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Nermal wrote: »
    If Sweden had followed Norway and Denmark, instead of 239 deaths, they would have had between 80-180.

This time last year, if I suggested shutting millions of people into their homes for weeks at a time to save between 60 and 160 people, I would have been laughed at.

This is a mass delusion. In a year you won't wonder what came over you to think that this was reasonable - you'll deny you ever thought it was a good idea at all.

you're framing is wrong unless you have a good certainty over the total numbers, not the numbers as of today. There is a trade off somewhere though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Any chance you can stop banging the same drum over and over, tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Yesterdays numbers:

yup, it's a a grim experiment they are running. hopefully a sad lesson for other countries thinking of going a similar route.

You're right, Nermal, if last year you had suggested shutting millions of people into their homes I would have laughed at you.

But that's all you're right about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

froog wrote: »
    yup, it's a a grim experiment they are running. hopefully a sad lesson for other countries thinking of going a similar route.

hopefully they have found a solution

I've seen your posts before. Why do you spout such crap? If we were free to roam there'd be thousands of deaths. You cannot extrapolate from false assumption and claim yourself a soothsayer.

Go off to America and see how long you last, c u next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's the morning I'd no sleep
    My son special needs didn't sleep so I stayed up with him let the wife sleep.
    So excuse my spelling , it's the least of my worries

Before people criticise or be pedantic they need to realise they don’t know what’s going on in someone’s life and what people are going through we all need to be a lot nicer and kinder at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

Yesterdays numbers:

Swedish population is double just to start with
    In fact both Norway and Denmark has higher number of cases per million people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The Swedish are distinctly more inclined to follow guidelines. Many people will work from home or take their children out of school and will socially distance anyway.

We're more cavalier and if we weren't specifically told to stay inside we'd be doing business as usual. It's all down to societal norms. The media never give a context for its stories, that's the problem.

would ya go on out of that, if the schools are open and exams are on, what do you think they are going to do

if work requires them to come in they will come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yesterdays numbers:

A few weeks ago Norway were at about 500 cases new a day, lockdown seems to be really working there, I guess the population density in spain and italy is f*cking everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder what our figures would be without the Nursing Home clusters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It’s possible we will hit 1 million cases today 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Before people criticise or be pedantic they need to realise they don’t know what’s going on in someone’s life and what people are going through we all need to be a lot nicer and kinder at the moment

Also the worst thing one can do after no sleep is go on the internet. How can you destress or put a coherent thought together?

• Advertisement

Here here.
    Unless you are one of the C unts that robbed a car and broke into some others in the estate beside mine on Tuesday night. I’d pay to watch the **** being kicked out of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

like in Spain, cases rocketting again, despite being on lockdown for almost 3 weeks.
    its gonna spread anyway, just get it over with, now all they're doing is destroying the economy and peoples mental health.

I was listening to one scientist (can't recall who or even the show/pod) in the field talking about the different tactics used by different countries. It was at the time GB appeared to be changing tack from herd to their present position. Was that a week ago? A year ago? He reasoned that while some methods appeared riskier than others and he understood the "lowering the curve" for health care management he said that countries should stick to the path they've taken.

His hypothesis was that there was little to be gained by changing tack during a process as the genie would be out of the bottle either way. However by sticking with the initial plan there would be data gained from differing approaches. While I don't mean to throw out a "but a random scientist said..." but this did strike me as sensible.

We kinda need different approaches in western democracies for future best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Chinas active cases are going down roughly about 250 a day they now have less than 1900 active cases on worldometer if its spreading so rapidly around the world how in gods name have they only had like 85k cases.

Would it be something to do with them being prepared due to SARS?

The economic impact of coronavirus will be least severe in Ireland among OECD countries according to new report.

The OECD has published a report evaluating the initial impact of coronavirus containment measures on its members’ economies, with Ireland expected to be the least scathed.
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/oecd-coronavirus-ireland

This is the full report - https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=126_126496-evgsi2gmqj&title=Evaluating_the_initial_impact_of_COVID-19_containment_measures_on_economic_activity

Jin luk wrote: »
    Chinas active cases are going down roughly about 250 a day they now have less than 1900 active cases on worldometer if its spreading so rapidly around the world how in gods name have they only had like 85k cases.

They didn't have 85k cases !
    they had a lot more - deaths too !

• Advertisement

china's figures simply cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Discodog wrote: »
    I wonder what our figures would be without the Nursing Home clusters ?

I'd guess our number of deaths would be lower

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

They didn't have 85k cases !
    they had a lot more - deaths too !

Yeah but going by the official numbers how many people is estimated to have died over their?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

The economic impact of coronavirus will be least severe in Ireland among OECD countries according to new report.

The OECD has published a report evaluating the initial impact of coronavirus containment measures on its members’ economies, with Ireland expected to be the least scathed.
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/oecd-coronavirus-ireland

This is the full report - https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=126_126496-evgsi2gmqj&title=Evaluating_the_initial_impact_of_COVID-19_containment_measures_on_economic_activity

Oh wow, will believe it when I see it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd guess our number of deaths would be lower

Not sure nursing home deaths are included in the figures. At least that's what Fergal Bowers said yesterday. Only hospital deaths from Covid-19 being counted.

USA is getting scary. broke 1000 daily deaths yesterday and it's very early stages in most states.

Yeah but going by the official numbers how many people is estimated to have died over their?

Well apparently 21,000 mobile phones just dissapeared over the network - but this could be all conspiracy bollix, but I still don't trust their official figures, the lockdowns worked too well over there, we see the absolute **** show and failure of it in Spain and Italy ... so you'd wonder ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭weisses

No ... they suppress their numbers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure nursing home deaths are included in the figures. At least that's what Fergal Bowers said yesterday. Only hospital deaths from Covid-19 being counted.

That's surely not good news. I just assumed the big jumps were clusters in nursing homes.

I enjoy the #UniteByStayingApart agenda RTE are doing, being a hermit for Ireland. I feel like I should have a mural painted of me on a Belfast gavel, just think of the amount of people I didn't give illnesses to over the years because of my hermit lifestyle.

You probably have a sh1t immune system from your lifestyle.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »

The first day that the death toll got to double figures (a week ago maybe) we were told that was because of a nursing home cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

More than 4,000 Italian health workers have contracted the virus treating victims in Italy and 66 doctors have died.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-30-at-8.04.50-PM-1024x791.png
    Worldwide, as millions of people stay at home to minimise transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, health-care workers prepare to do the exact opposite.

They will go to clinics and hospitals, putting themselves at high risk from COVID-2019. Figures from China's National Health Commission show that more than 3300 health-care workers have been infected as of early March and, according to local media, by the end of February at least 22 had died. In Italy, 20% of responding health-care workers were infected, and some have died. Reports from medical staff describe physical and mental exhaustion, the torment of difficult triage decisions, and the pain of losing patients and colleagues, all in addition to the infection risk.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30644-9/fulltext

EUhOZ7aUEAEgw3u.jpg

And we were thinking of sending student nurses into danger without pay...
    Anyone know how much they are being paid now ?

froog wrote: »
    USA is getting scary. broke 1000 daily deaths yesterday and it's very early stages in most states.

They're ****ed, I really fear for them, especially with their shambles of a health service for the working class.

Will be the darkest period in their modern history over the next 3 months.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

humberklog wrote: »
    I was listening to one scientist (can't recall who or even the show/pod) in the field talking about the different tactics used by different countries. It was at the time GB appeared to be changing tack from herd to their present position. Was that a week ago? A year ago? He reasoned that while some methods appeared riskier than others and he understood the "lowering the curve" for health care management he said that countries should stick to the path they've taken.

His hypothesis was that there was little to be gained by changing tack during a process as the genie would be out of the bottle either way. However by sticking with the initial plan there would be data gained from differing approaches. While I don't mean to throw out a "but a random scientist said..." but this did strike me as sensible.

We kinda need different approaches in western democracies for future best practice.
    There are ethical questions around that.

You cant run country-sized non-consenting experiments on people. You'd be telling some countries to not follow the currently Best-In-Class approach for the sake of science. Can you imagine if we were told to go for Herd Immunity while the UK was told to go for cocooning? There'd be riots. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Achasanai wrote: »
    That's surely not good news. I just assumed the big jumps were clusters in nursing homes.

I'm pretty sure they said all covid 19 deaths were included in the figures, ie including nursing home deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Apparently, the US are now pretty much hijacking masks and PPE bound to other countries on Chinese roads and even on the tarmac of Chinese airports by offering double price in cash to reroute the containers.

Confirmed by a French politician here that masks being loaded on a plane to France were snapped in that way yesterday and that it isn't the first time: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/grosse-commande-masques-aurait-du-arriver-france-elle-ira-finalement-aux-etats-unis-annonce-renaud-muselier-1810096.html

Summary in English: https://www.rt.com/news/484723-us-france-face-masks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Swedish population is double just to start with
    In fact both Norway and Denmark has higher number of cases per million people

Population doesnt factor into the equation at this stage of the outbreak, population density of where the most cases are located is.

When the population is saturated more broadly then yes population will come into play.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,890 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ignore those figures.

As you should ignore russias figures.... And turkey, India, Belarus....

They are either deliberately under announcing in places such as Russia, or haven't the capacity to properly record, in places such as India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭weisses

More than 4,000 Italian health workers have contracted the virus treating victims in Italy and 66 doctors have died.

And we were thinking of sending student nurses into danger without pay...
    Anyone know how much they are being paid now ?

HCA wages ... But despite it being announced it is not being implemented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No it would be something to do with them being ruled by the CCP.

How do you know a communist is lying?

Their lips are moving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement