Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure nursing home deaths are included in the figures. At least that's what Fergal Bowers said yesterday. Only hospital deaths from Covid-19 being counted.

Only hospital deaths with confirmed Covid-19 cases counted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The first day that the death toll got to double figures (a week ago maybe) we were told that was because of a nursing home cluster

All I'm doing is repeating what Fergal Bower's said yesterday. Maybe once a nursing home death is verified as a result of Covid-19, it is added to the figures (in time)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

DeVore wrote: »
    There are ethical questions around that.

You cant run country-sized non-consenting experiments on people. You'd be telling some countries to not follow the currently Best-In-Class approach for the sake of science. Can you imagine if we were told to go for Herd Immunity while the UK was told to go for cocooning? There'd be riots. :)

I'd stay at home on riot day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

crx=== wrote: »
    Only hospital deaths with confirmed Covid-19 cases counted.

Ah surely the deaths must include nursing home figures?

Otherwise theres no reliable figures being produced and we are no better than China.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

More than 4,000 Italian health workers have contracted the virus treating victims in Italy and 66 doctors have died.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-30-at-8.04.50-PM-1024x791.png

EUhOZ7aUEAEgw3u.jpg

And we were thinking of sending student nurses into danger without pay...
    Anyone know how much they are being paid now ?

Think it’s a hca contract so 28k annum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah surely the deaths must include nursing home figures?

Otherwise theres no reliable figures being produced and we are no better than China.

That's the way it is too in the UK, France and Spain (at least). They do not count nursing home deaths, only hospital deaths. Saw on BBC the other day France were to start adding figures for nursing home deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

weisses wrote: »
    HCA wages ... But despite it being announced it is not being implemented

Jebus wept !

I hope the press pick up on that and embarrass the government into some action and start paying those student nurses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Well apparently 21,000 mobile phones just dissapeared over the network - but this could be all conspiracy bollix, but I still don't trust their official figures, the lockdowns worked too well over there, we see the absolute **** show and failure of it in Spain and Italy ... so you'd wonder ...

Let's see people who might have had second phone who cant afford it.
    Business customers cancelling.

If they are hiding cases, the number of cases would be higher and the number of deaths.
    It could even mean a lower death rate.

Everyone is hiding cases. If Ireland is only counting deaths in hospital we are not to be trusted with our numbers either. The same with every other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ignore those figures.

As you should ignore russias figures.... And turkey, India, Belarus....

They are either deliberately under announcing in places such as Russia, or haven't the capacity to properly record, in places such as India.

India is in full lockdown getting hit with sticks if their out of the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They're ****ed, I really fear for them, especially with their shambles of a health service for the working class.

Will be the darkest period in their modern history over the next 3 months.

They won't handle a lockdown well for long . You even see if here (not that it's even a proper lockdown)people moaning about it after one flipping week but it will be carnage over there for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I've seen your posts before. Why do you spout such crap? If we were free to roam there'd be thousands of deaths. You cannot extrapolate from false assumption and claim yourself a soothsayer.

Go off to America and see how long you last, c u next Tuesday.

doctors are scarce enough without that carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

St Patrick's Day Parade 2021

Dedicated to health care workers who walk the parade to ovations from the public who they protected in 2020.

Make it happen everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's the way it is too in the UK, France and Spain (at least). They do not count nursing home deaths, only hospital deaths. Saw on BBC the other day France were to start adding figures for nursing home deaths.

So not one accurate set of figures being provided. Amazing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,890 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jin luk wrote: »
    India is in full lockdown getting hit with sticks if their out of the house

Full lockdown??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-india-52086274

They are literally transporting the virus from cities to rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The first day that the death toll got to double figures (a week ago maybe) we were told that was because of a nursing home cluster

well no they didn't explicitly say that. they just said they were concerned with outbreaks in nursing homes. people made their own jumps to conclusions based on that.

There has to be a base line set somewhere.

You cannot simply record suspected cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

WW1 invented PSTD, the original snowflakes

War is traumatic. Having to sit at home watching Netflix is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Well apparently 21,000 mobile phones just dissapeared over the network - but this could be all conspiracy bollix, but I still don't trust their official figures, the lockdowns worked too well over there, we see the absolute **** show and failure of it in Spain and Italy ... so you'd wonder ...

Thoes mobile phones became deactivated the very day China interduced there Mobil phone tracking app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

You cant run country-sized non-consenting experiments on people. You'd be telling some countries to not follow the currently Best-In-Class approach for the sake of science. Can you imagine if we were told to go for Herd Immunity while the UK was told to go for cocooning? There'd be riots. :)

Unfortunately there isn’t a Best-In-Class solution to be had. Nothing like this has had to be done before, so nobody knows what is the best approach.
    It may very well be that that once a certain stage of spread has happened, that it’s the equivalent of trying different methods of securing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

And....the supermarket staff, postal workers, gardai, bus drivers....etc., etc.!

farmers, lorry drivers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sweden is pretty much doing this as we speak. They have the lowest level of restrictions in Europe. Universities are closed, but schools, pubs, cafes and the usual businesses are still open. Bars and cafes have to serve people outside, no gatherings of more than fifty people, hand washing and social distancing are the only real advisories.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

Bob24 wrote: »
    The US are now pretty much hijacking masks and PPE bound to other countries on Chinese roads and even on the tarmac of Chinese airports by offering double price in cash to reroute the containers.

Confirmed by a French politician here that masks being loaded on a plane to France were snapped in that way yesterday and that it isn't the first time: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/grosse-commande-masques-aurait-du-arriver-france-elle-ira-finalement-aux-etats-unis-annonce-renaud-muselier-1810096.html

Summary in English: https://www.rt.com/news/484723-us-france-face-masks/

An RT report about something that supposedly happened in China?
    It doesn't get much more unreliable than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

All I'm doing is repeating what Fergal Bower's said yesterday. Maybe once a nursing home death is verified as a result of Covid-19, it is added to the figures (in time)?

I'm not certain. I assumed Nursing Home deaths are counted.

I think they are not included if a person in a nursing home was waiting on a test or didn't receive the result and subsequently died.

I could be wrong on this. Hopefully it's clarified.

I know the stats given two days in arrears include nursing home data.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

From NHS U.K......

Notes on deaths figures
    The figures on deaths relate to patients who have died in hospital and who have tested positive for COVID-19. The figures are compiled from validated data provided by NHS England and Improvement, Health Protection Scotland, Public Health Wales and the Public Health Agency (Northern Ireland).

These figures do not include deaths outside hospital, such as those in care homes. This approach allows us to compile deaths data on a daily basis using up-to-date figures. The data includes confirmed cases reported as at 5pm the previous day. The amount of time between occurrence of death and reporting in these figures may vary slightly and in some cases could be a few days, so figures at 5pm may not include all deaths for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

petes wrote: »
    Any chance you can stop banging the same drum over and over, tiresome at this stage.

No, I won't be content until this ridiculous panic party is broken up.

We can't even estimate properly how many people are dying from this - we can't agree on the 'dying with' vs. 'dying of' measurement issue:
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

Italy is drastically over-estimating the amount of additional deaths resulting from the virus:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763667?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

And....the supermarket staff, postal workers, gardai, bus drivers....etc., etc.!

I know I'm going to sound like a dick here but medical staff need to be set apart from supermarket staff, postal workers etc., They are the ones exposing themselves to the disease, working long hours and a lot of them will suffer from PTSD after this. I don't think the two type of occupations should be equated.

farmers, lorry drivers

Boards Mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

St Patrick's Day Parade 2021

Dedicated to health care workers who walk the parade to ovations from the public who they protected in 2020.

Make it happen everyone

2022 - No vaccine by March 2021.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I know I'm going to sound like a dick here but medical staff need to be set apart from supermarket staff, postal workers etc., They are the ones exposing themselves to the disease, working long hours and a lot of them will suffer from PTSD after this. I don't think the two type of occupations should be equated.

They have a much greater risk but the risk to the others is significant given it is in the community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What's this new initiative that's been announced? Missed the beginning of the conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I watched a woman I follow on Instagram wash all her delivered groceries with water and bleach.

Is that not ever so slightly OTT or should we now be doing this also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Nermal wrote: »
    No, I won't be content until this ridiculous panic party is broken up.

We can't even estimate properly how many people are dying from this - we can't agree on the 'dying with' vs. 'dying of' measurement issue:
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

Italy is drastically over-estimating the amount of additional deaths resulting from the virus:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763667?

But the fact is people are dying! Would be a hell of a lot more without measures in place.

You may not have a heart and just simply don't care but I do and most people do.

Your incessant bull**** is tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

cloudatlas wrote: »

Yes totally Agree I’m a train driver and I would be embarrassed walking beside them what they do is incredible and they deserve all the adulation they receive

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sweden is pretty much doing this as we speak. They have the lowest level of restrictions in Europe. Universities are closed, but schools, pubs, cafes and the usual businesses are still open. Bars and cafes have to serve people outside, no gatherings of more than fifty people, hand washing and social distancing are the only real advisories.

Last night Newsnight covered this. 700 doctors have written to their Gov asking for policy to change. They interviewed the former prime minister of Denmark also and they have taken a similar course to ours. You might get it on BBC player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tony H is back at work

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1245640109711486977

Fantastic news. Great to see him recovered

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

We are all in the Petri dish... but some of us are looking at the sars

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

Akrasia wrote: »
    ‘The common cold’ is just a label for a whole load of mild respiratory illnesses

It will never have a vaccine

Hi. Actually, that is not entirely correct. The key here? Plants.
    Viruses effect both plants and animals. When a plant is invaded by a virus, a certain protein within the cell of the plant is activated and begins to suppress the plants immune system, allowing the virus to take hold.

Some plants in the same tropical ecosystem as virus-carrying animals, have shown an immunity to any virus which "jumped over" from animal to plant.

At Trinity, in 2017 the great John O'Leary and his team published a report identifying this protein and are using this research to tackle certain viruses within the Coronavirus family, one being the Common Cold. Don't be surprised if plant pathology plays an important part in the development of the vaccine for Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

froog wrote: »
    USA is getting scary. broke 1000 daily deaths yesterday and it's very early stages in most states.

They are ramping up mendacious stupidity as we speak

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1245353362515787778

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

humberklog wrote: »
    We are all in the Petri dish... but some of us are looking at the sars

:D very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I watched a woman I follow on Instagram wash all her delivered groceries with water and bleach.

You'd have to imagine it is. I would have thought washing hands after putting the shopping away, and many more times during the day, and not touching you face would be allot more protective.

Especially washing shopping with bleach sounds kind of dangerous. Bleach is highly toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Gynoid wrote: »
    PTSD with good bloody reason.
    This restriction period is not comparable to war.
    I don't know it can be pretty tough sitting on your backside watching Netflix all day,

'muerica.... FCUK YEAH!!!

You'd have to imagine it is. I would have thought washing hands after putting the shopping away, and many more times during the day, and not touching you face would be allot more protective.

Especially washing shopping with bleach sounds kind of dangerous. Bleach is highly toxic

Agreed about the bleach. We use washing up liquid when washing our shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

mick987 wrote: »
    I don't know it can be pretty tough sitting on your backside watching Netflix all day,

I feel ya. I have PTSD from watching them breaking into another choreographed shagging sequence, preferably with interplayed stabbing montage, in Power. Every time they move closer and open their mouths for the lunge now I have to take shelter behind the couch. The war is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What's this new initiative that's been announced? Missed the beginning of the conference.

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You can water it down to 2% bleach/98% water and it will still kill coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They are ramping up mendacious stupidity as we speak

The USA is really going to do it aren't they?

They're going to turn this into a left versus right issue like pollution and education.

Anyone?

I am not sure anything is to be announced? All that was said is they would review the current situation/restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

To think everbody was moaning about Chlorinated chicken a month ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement