Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Farmers out with their poor hand on Pat Kenny show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I am not sure anything is to be announced? All that was said is they would review the current situation/restrictions.

They were talking about something called "Community Call". An initiative that involves all the local authorities throughout the country checking in on vulnerable people...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You'd have to imagine it is. I would have thought washing hands after putting the shopping away, and many more times during the day, and not touching you face would be allot more protective.

Especially washing shopping with bleach sounds kind of dangerous. Bleach is highly toxic

Depends on the level of bleach solution.

But I wouldn't go to that extreme myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

YFlyer wrote: »

jesus you'd swear they were the only people that work in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The USA is really going to do it aren't they?

They're going to turn this into a left versus right issue like pollution and education.

Going to? They're already at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

War is traumatic. Having to sit at home watching Netflix is not.

not for tough guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Why are people in nursing home's not added in the death figures.

They would be still be alive today if Covid 19 didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

You'd have to imagine it is. I would have thought washing hands after putting the shopping away, and many more times during the day, and not touching you face would be allot more protective.

Especially washing shopping with bleach sounds kind of dangerous. Bleach is highly toxic

Instructions are on the back of the label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

They were talking about something called "Community Call". An initiative that involves all the local authorities throughout the country checking in on vulnerable people...?

Yes. Being set up now - various gov agencies and NGO's coming together to provide support services in the community, under co-ord of local authorities. People being re-deployed from their usual state funded social and community services to man and woman the pumps.

This is going to take a lot of effort to set up - one would assume it is intended to be in place for a reasonable time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Longing wrote: »

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

How was that food you ate today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

dont drink the bleach

Chlorine is also toxic but its in your tap water

Bleach breaks down quite quickly leaving a harmless residue, how else do you think they allow you turf it down the jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Depends on the level of bleach solution.

But I wouldn't go to that extreme myself.

Actually, you should! There's a comprehensive guide to shopping here that has a procedure for shopping. Apart from the family home, shopping is probably where a lot of people will most likely pick up the infection now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

St Patrick's Day Parade 2021

Dedicated to health care workers who walk the parade to ovations from the public who they protected in 2020.

Make it happen everyone

You know what there’s a reason why so many Nurses and Doctors emigrate!
    Forget about the Parade how about we just pay them a decent wage? No tiered increases phased over 3 year nonsense tied to work productivity or changes in work practice just a straight forward wage increase like the ones the Politicians award themselves.
    Every Minister of Finance has resisted their wage demands over the years and any concessions are hard fought and Minuscule
    I know the sight of all the politicians in the Dail giving them a round of applause last week was greeted with gritted teeth by most Nurses and Doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

Food could become the new currency...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

This guy on twitter put up a picture from Medical Examiner in Cook County, Illinois that shows quite a number of deaths marked as "pneumonia" and "acute respiratory distress (ARD)".

Nice number massaging going on.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1245539683221868544/photo/1

Thread: https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1245539683221868544

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

How was that food you ate today.

and your house?
    your electricity?
    your clothes?
    your education?
    your healthcare?
    your water?

etc etc

Longing wrote: »

They are, they have said that on a number of occasions that nursing home clusters have been the reason for high death tolls on certain days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Actually, you should! There's a comprehensive guide to shopping here that has a procedure for shopping. Apart from the family home, shopping is probably where a lot of people will most likely pick up the infection now.

Even in normal circumstances. I once saw a documentary item on how the online delivery basket tray things were treated (or not), in supermarkets. In short, they were filthy... in some cases there were no arrangements in place to clean or disinfect them and they were simply left outside in a yard for storage until they were needed again. Some of the ones I saw myself in stores at the time were visibly filthy, but we weren't as caught up on germ transfer at the time.

There was also some questions about how clean the vans were too - the online delivery services developed quicker than the health and safety procedures.

froog wrote: »
    and your house?
    your electricity?
    your clothes?
    your education?
    your healthcare?
    your water?

etc etc

Exactly nice you acknowledge there all important. Of course it could be argued a lot are not life or death. Food certainly is ,not so sure how important new clothes are for the next few months

• Advertisement

Exactly nice you acknowledge there all important. Of course it could be argued a lot are not life or death. Food certainly is ,not so sure how important new clothes are for the next few months

I'd say the poster is wondering how the farmers have been hit, domestic food consumption hasn't reduced, export probably - but - exporting food would probably go down as non essential at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

BluePlanet wrote: »
    This guy on twitter put up a picture from Medical Examiner in Cook County, Illinois that shows quite a number of deaths marked as "pneumonia" and "acute respiratory distress (ARD)".

That is absolutely going to be the case.

There's a huge backlog for tests here, in the UK and the US. I think its something like close to 200,000 in the US.

People will unquestionably die of covid19 without ever being tested or confirmed for it. Its already happened in at least one nursing home case here. You can be sure there's more.

Likely a huge problem in the UK and US.

I'd say the poster is wondering how the farmers have been hit, domestic food consumption hasn't reduced, export probably - but - exporting food would probably go down as non essential at the moment?

The people who served the farmer his pint have no job now. The publican who employed them may well go bankrupt. Hope the farmers take such fellow citizens like that into consideration.

Prices have dropped significantly. Farmers who bought animals and fed them all winter . Are now worth less than when they bought them. Marts are very restricted and were closed for a few days. So hard sell them and even if they are booked into a mart it's going to be a flawed set up and will not suit the seller. McDonald's closed 2 in every 10 burgers in Europe was Irish beef. I could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

exporting food is essential, obviously the market everywhere has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I watched a woman I follow on Instagram wash all her delivered groceries with water and bleach.

Is that not ever so slightly OTT or should we now be doing this also?

It's not a bad idea considering others may have touched them though I'd worry some people may wind up contaminating their food with bleach or chemicals in the process.
    Leaving whatever you can in the car for a few days after buying, removing outer plastics and just generally washing hands frequently after touching recently bought items is probably more practical.

The people who served the farmer his pint have no job now. The publican who employed them may well go bankrupt. Hope the farmers take such fellow citizens like that into consideration.

A lot of farmers will go bust. Especially beef farmers

Totally agree, but also not wishing to take shots at the farmers, I work in construction - my entire industry was switched off Friday evening - I have my doubts the company I work for will ever open again - cash flow had decimated it already over the past few weeks.

I can accept my job is probably gone forever, I'm not looking for it to be protected, I'm just really glad the SW has acted so fast to pacify my immediate financial worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

They are, they have said that on a number of occasions that nursing home clusters have been the reason for high death tolls on certain days.

Sorry. Didn't make myself clear. I'm asking the same question. It was posted here earlier by a few posters they were not counting nursing home deaths only if the patient was moved to a hospital then the count it.

Posted earlier.
    crx=== wrote: »
    Only hospital deaths with confirmed Covid-19 cases counted.

I would like to know for clarification has anyone got it from the HSE.

BluePlanet wrote: »

Want to be careful how you look at data in isolation. How does this compare with other weeks? A large proporation of people who die of old age will be finished off by pneumonia or ARD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

+950 deaths in Spain in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 10,003.

Absolutely horrific figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I know I am going to sound like the dick, and sound heartless, but they are doing their job/doing what they signed up to do (....albeit in very stressful and difficult circumstances). Yes...what they are doing and will do is admirable.

All I was getting at is they are lots of others too putting themselves at risk, in the 'front line', like supermarket workers and others, who have to deal with the general public, to keep our food supplies going, keep law and order, etc., etc.

They should all be applauded!

Yes but they should not be given equal footing or their contribution equally weighted. I don't think any of the nurses and doctors who are facing into this ever imagined this would be what they signed up for. They are the ones in the hospital with the people who are dying from this, many of them will suffer from PTSD, critical care workers will not have experienced this level of loss before outside of those countries who have experience the crisis of war.

A lot of farmers will go bust. Especially beef farmers

Indeed. We're all in this together. How many will lose their land?

Totally agree, but also not wishing to take shots at the farmers, I work in construction - my entire industry was switched off Friday evening - I have my doubts the company I work for will ever open again - cash flow had decimated it already over the past few weeks.

I can accept my job is probably gone forever, I'm not looking for it to be protected, I'm just really glad the SW has acted so fast to pacify my immediate financial worries.

Sorry to hear that I hope you can pick up work asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

BBC causing more panic with these outlier tales ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52124554

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

People just don't give a ****e. Panda sent email yesterday that people should wipe the contact areas of their bins with sanitiser after touching them and put the bins out the night before etc. If you have symptoms, you should be double bagging the waste and putting it in the general waste bin after setting it aside for 72 hours. No-one cares. I've seen people pushing the bins out at the last minute with no gloves on and have definitely not wiped the bins at all. Good luck trying to get rid of the waste in a few weeks time if all the collection staff gets sick.

according to google the average age of death in Ireland is 81.
    The median age of death has been 82 on some days and floats round this on average. in Ireland 2014 diseases of the respiratory system killed 3388 and if you include diseases of the circulatory system add another 8899. That's 236 deaths per week.. now easily attributed to COVID-19.... when you lay it out like that and cannot prove the deceased had it through lack of testing in addition to burial without autopsy And we are told to assume it's COVID 19, you can see how bad the figure looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

South Africans addicted to alcohol, cigarettes negatively affected by lockdown
    The organisation says although the decision was taken in good faith, people who are highly addicted to nicotine and alcohol will develop a range of symptoms such as psychosis, seizures and even death.

Initiative founder Keith Scott says the ban may also pave way for other illegal markets to thrive…

“Once you prohibit a drug as we know alcohol and tobacco, the criminals will get hold of the market and open these shebeens, the illegal once. That will put another burden on the police. You don’t suddenly withdraw drugs from people. Unfortunately, people are cheering on the police to get tough on people who are actually suffering.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The UK media in general have been an absolute disgrace throughout this. Both the tabloids and the guardian. Stoking fear and spreading panic. We whinge about RTE (for good reason) but they’ve done ok here getting the info out in a factual manner and not trying to terrify people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just a thought here - looking for coments: current testing focuses on those with symptoms, so the low positive rate shows that transmission rates are low/and or Ireland has its share of hypochondriacs, so it's good news.

But by focusing testing on those who have symptoms (and who, you would hope, are already self-isolating) we are not going to identify any asymptomatic carriers of the virus, who, because they are asymptomatic, will not be self-isolating (beyond govt guidelines).

Is there any way to identify the asymptomatic carrier without mass random testing, which is a poor use of resources.

I wonder what a mass test of, say, Lidl staff in a particular county, would show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

tom1ie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they said all covid 19 deaths were included in the figures, ie including nursing home deaths?

I hope so. Another poster suggested that Bowers said that it wasn't the case. If not, it would imply that our death rate from the virus would be higher (but with no actual figures as to how high). I would imagine it would put us firmly with the more basket cases in terms of deaths at the particular stage we are since the first death was announced (per head of population).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There will always unfortunately be outliers.

If for example we came up with a vaccine, there would likely be outliers who die or get seriously ill from it. But it will still be beneficial to the vast majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Off to collect a ParcelMotel in a minute, just running through the military-style preparations in my head. Leaving the house these days always brings this line to mind:
    Stretching-it-to-something-the-statute-didnt-intend.-2-5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's thought around 15% of those infected will suffer those kind of severe symptoms, footballers Pepe Reina and Paulo Dybala described similar situations which were difficult and frightful to read.

We should all be aware that those things could realistically happen to us or someone close to us and if it concentrates the mind for staying indoors then media is having a positive impact in publishing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Gynoid wrote: »
    PTSD with good bloody reason.
    This restriction period is not comparable to war.

I’ve heard a few people saying this is like being in a war. Thankfully it isn’t near the immediate fear people must feel even sleeping in their own homes or being a risk of being injured or worse inside or outside of their own homes.

Of course this is difficult and terrifying for people particularly people that are at risk and their families so I’m not downplaying covid19 for them as it would be terrifying for them.

It’s made me think how incredibly difficult it must be for people to live in war torn countries. I can’t comprehend how terrifying it must be for everyone particularly with children. We can still go outside for fresh air etc. I’d imagine in places such as Syria and Palestine that is taking risk depending on level of attacks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Chinese markets again selling bats -- likely source of deadly pandemic -- reporters say
    China is permitting wild animal markets to resume selling bats, believed to be the source for the deadly coronavirus now killing people across the globe, including over 2,500 Americans to date, British reporters say.

This bat soup must be really nice, people can't get enough of it.

Sorry to hear that I hope you can pick up work asap.

Thanks, I'll be grand, I'm relatively young, have a decent set of skills/experience and have nothing but rent to pay, there's much worse off out there than me - I hope they'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

osarusan wrote: »
    Just a thought here - looking for coments: current testing focuses on those with symptoms, so the low positive rate shows that transmission rates are low/and or Ireland has its share of hypochondriacs, so it's good news.

But by focusing testing on those who have symptoms (and who, you would hope, are already self-isolating) we are not going to identify any asymptomatic carriers of the virus, who, because they are asymptomatic, will not be self-isolating (beyond govt guidelines).

Is there any way to identify the asymptomatic carrier without mass random testing, which is a poor use of resources.

I wonder what a mass test of, say, Lidl staff in a particular county, would show.

blame the germans

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

crx=== wrote: »
    Food could become the new currency...

ffs :mad: Its not mad max...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Observation (long piece) on how this virus is affecting how we behave.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200401-covid-19-how-fear-of-coronavirus-is-changing-our-psychology

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement