Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Any know if Dominc Cummins or Boris a smoker?

What a daft question. How would it make any difference as to whether you would get the virus or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Definitely shave it all off as soon as you get home.

Seriously, if you think something needs washing, just wash it. Why ask?

Helpful as usual. Well named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure if posted earlier. Fauci and Birx used Modelling to show Trump that best case scenario is 100,000+ deaths. Worst case 2million.

This made him change his mind on Quarantining New York

I am not sure he has the power quarantine New York which may have been his issue there. He could ask neighbouring states and ask New Yorkers not to leave but that would have been it I think.

Worrying times ahead. They had a good day in terms of deaths yesterday. From 550 to just over 200. Hopefully that continues (still sad for those 200 families).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People still think they are going on summer holidays :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes exactly. It's why I've always been saying we would never be the same as Italy or Spain. Our urban sprawl and rural one of house make sure of that. A quarter of all cases are healthcare workers. We would do pretty well in comparison to other countries even if we just had the social distancing measures announce originally. I think we could go back to opening coffee shops and
    clothes stores etc just maintain limits on people inside as the numbers we are seeing today are an effect of those measures an prove that they probably went far enough.

We are at these low numbers because everything is closed. I don't think we should be complacent now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Roger_007 wrote: »
    What a daft question. How would it make any difference as to whether you would get the virus or not?

It makes a difference as to severity of the illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

spookwoman wrote: »

Dont think he likes the David guy who does it, he called him out one night over the numbers in ICU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Newsflash ( via RTE) : Dominic "Herd Immunity" Cummings has the corona.
    He has self isolated with symptoms, not been confirmed with Corona.
    voluntary wrote: »
    Holy Karma :pac::pac::pac:

I wouldn't laugh about someone getting ill and quote karma in the same sentence.

Media confirming only precautionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Sparko

EI9018 heading to China for supplies had to turn back, bird strike.

Mentioned on VM News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am not sure he has the power quarantine New York which may have been his issue there. He could ask neighbouring states and ask New Yorkers not to leave but that would have been it I think.

Worrying times ahead. They had a good day in terms of deaths yesterday. From 550 to just over 200. Hopefully that continues (still sad for those 200 families).

Apologies, I edited my post since. It made him change his mind on opening up the country before Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It would make a difference with how capable you are to fight the virus,

People who smoke lungs are not as strong and that's where the virus kills you,

Strangely enough vaping mite be harder on your lungs than smoke ( not cause cancer but damage them)

Having good lung capacity could safe your life if you get COVID19,

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Yet you said this earlier:

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

Wouldnt be getting youre hopes up about the holiday will be severe travel restrictions for the most of this year id say

Smoking is going to effect how seriously you get the disease as you have lung damage already.

This doesn't mean that non smokers shouldn't be careful but it has come to be another way people can rationalise in their head that they have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Sparko wrote: »

Ah FFS - how far was it over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People still think they are going on summer holidays :-o
    Sure every year we dream we're going to have a summer! It's harmless, especially now!

Jin luk wrote: »
    Wouldnt be getting youre hopes up about the holiday will be severe travel restrictions for the most of this year id say

Yeah. I'm booked for two weeks in Greece in August. Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Trips around the country may be the best holidays this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Good morning/afternoon people.

The sun is out. It was bright last night until after 8 o clock. The real world is out there albeit a scary place.

I wish all here the best of health .

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Not sure if posted earlier.

Fauci and Birx used Modelling to show Trump that best case scenario is 100,000+ deaths even with Social Distancing. Worst case 2 million going by ladt nights CNN briefing.

This made him change his mind on opening Country by Easter.
    Christy42 wrote: »

I corrected my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

25%+ increase daily in number of cases in New Zealand since their lockdown 4 days ago, almost 600 cases now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Sparko

TheDoctor wrote: »

It took off at noon so not too far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bird strike was on takeoff - immediately returned to airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Sparko wrote: »

Mentioned on VM News.

Jesus , bird flu next !

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Bird strike must have happened early surely. Not many birds at 35,000 feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Smoking is going to effect how seriously you get the disease as you have lung damage already.

This doesn't mean that non smokers shouldn't be careful but it has come to be another way people can rationalise in their head that they have nothing to worry about.

Here's a question that likely won't have any proof as of yet, what about ex smokers? The OH was a heavy smoker until 18 months ago when they managed to quit for good. Mid 30's.

Prior to this I'd read new studies on how lungs were found to regenerate/heal themselves after smoking has ceased, not sure how long that takes though. You do hear about ex smokers having issues years after quitting, too.

Just another thing to worry about I guess. It's all worry these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

joe_99 wrote: »

Aye was a birdstrike on takeoff, safely back on the ground now, landed with 1 engine, will need a replacement plane to make this trip now, as that one will be out for checks etc. for a while.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/aer-lingus-flight-set-china-forced-turn-back-991483

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Shn99 wrote: »
    Dont think he likes the David guy who does it, he called him out one night over the numbers in ICU

I'd be more inclined to believe anyone but the hse

It would make a difference with how capable you are to fight the virus,

People who smoke lungs are not as strong and that's where the virus kills you,

Strangely enough vaping mite be harder on your lungs than smoke ( not cause cancer but damage them)

Having good lung capacity could safe your life if you get COVID19,

Smokers need to stop smoking now to be quite blunt about it. That doctor on Youtube, John Campbell, says smoking damages the cilia which keep your airways clear from mucus & dirt. Critical to have these functioning as well as possible if you get CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

joe_99 wrote: »

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei9018#244b9491

Click play to see the flight... damned Skerries or Dunshaughlin birds ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

We are at these low numbers because everything is closed. I don't think we should be complacent now.

But it's as a result of the original measures not what was announced on Friday. I just think we need to start considering a way out of this. Its clear that this virus is going to be around for a long time. The economy can sustain the measures for another few weeks but after that we need a plan to get back to normal. I think it will involve the following.
    Maintain social distancing measures, reopen shops and cafes but ensure that they keep to social distancing guidelines so 2m between tables etc. Cocooning vulnerable people. Maintain good payments for anyone who is vulnerable or has a vulnerable relative living with them so they can stay at home. Anyone that needs to self isolate has the option of going to a place similar to the City West if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jin luk wrote: »

Why would anyone *want* to go on holiday in July? Making four trips through an airport for leisure reasons would be madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

D.Q wrote: »
    If we stop exporting as agreed it opens up a whole can of worms where we might no longer be able to import as agreed. We are an island that needs to keep our air supply chains open and running.

Agree that existing contracts should be honoured, but the additional capacity announced on the 15th of March would have been in addition to their existing contracts.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-firm-set-to-double-output-of-face-masks-amid-covid-19-fears-985868.html

That surplus should not be exported while we have a shortage.

Also what kind of a messed up logistical world has evolved where we're exporting millions of masks to China and at the same time importing millions of masks from them?
    Are Irema producing some type/grade of mask they're not able to produce (for less) ?

spookwoman wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to believe anyone but the hse

Who would you trust instead?

I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I just heard on the radio that one of the Aer Lingus planes had to return in emergency landing due to an engine fire caused by a bird strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Most of us have been self isolating from more than 2 weeks now so are there any indications that it is working yet?

Here's a question that likely won't have any proof as of yet, what about ex smokers? The OH was a heavy smoker until 18 months ago when they managed to quit for good. Mid 30's.

Prior to this I'd read new studies on how lungs were found to regenerate/heal themselves after smoking has ceased, not sure how long that takes though. You do hear about ex smokers having issues years after quitting, too.

Just another thing to worry about I guess. It's all worry these days!

We don't have any proof yet but as a guess he is going to be safer then if he still smoked. He would have some lung damage though.

I have even seen suggestions that North Italy is suffering because of pollution levels.

I don't think we are going to know anything for sure until later with proper study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It seems rescheduling the Olympic Games is in its final stages, "The Tokyo Olympics have been rescheduled and will now July 23 - August 8, 2021"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-olympics-meeting/tokyo-olympics-president-says-expects-call-from-ioc-on-new-games-date-idUSKBN21H0MW

Its not 100% final yet, but seems the likely landing spot.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Most of us have been self isolating from more than 2 weeks now so are there any indications that it is working yet?

The fact the numbers are so much lower then projected and feared has to mean it is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes, the indicator is that the number of daily cases is not proportionally larger than the number of new cases the day before. Cases will still grow, growth will not stop in it's tracks. Remember the goal here is to reduce growth and flatten the curve, not stop the virus, that is impossible

• Advertisement

Yes 200 new cases per day vs the 800+ per day expected. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

My own dad insists on going for a walk every second day . Waits till there is no one around and does a lap of the green area right outside the house,
    Iv begged him to stay in but he insist he needs his walk, and wears masks and gloves while he does it,

He's 73 and no underlying condition and I pray to god it doesn't become a case of me wondering was there more I could have done to stop him

He should be ok. His shoes are possibly a weak link if what we saw in China is to be believed, ie cleaning the roads and pavements. I try to leave my shoes in the car or in a shed after going to the shops, just in case. Your father should be fine. Its good for him to get some exercise. The last thing we need now is elderly people turning up in A&E with heart attacks and the like from lack of exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm hoping no deaths here today, that will be a good day then, everyone take care

But it's as a result of the original measures not what was announced on Friday. I just think we need to start considering a way out of this. Its clear that this virus is going to be around for a long time. The economy can sustain the measures for another few weeks but after that we need a plan to get back to normal. I think it will involve the following.
    Maintain social distancing measures, reopen shops and cafes but ensure that they keep to social distancing guidelines so 2m between tables etc. Cocooning vulnerable people. Maintain good payments for anyone who is vulnerable or has a vulnerable relative living with them so they can stay at home. Anyone that needs to self isolate has the option of going to a place similar to the City West if they wish.

Realistically we can't continue as we are indefinitely anyway as the country will collapse. We couldn't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Good to see Prince Charles on the mend, his military training sticking to him now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52088684
    The Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation, following his diagnosis of coronavirus.

Prince Charles, 71, spent seven days self-isolating in Scotland after testing positive and displaying mild symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trips around the country may be the best holidays this year.

I'll never complain again of even just getting to Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It doesn't.
    But smokers are more likely to find themselves in ICU.

Realistically we can't continue as we are indefinitely anyway as the country will collapse. We couldn't afford it.

Yeah that's my point. So the question is what do we need to do to return to something that resembles normality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 30 March 2020 @ 08:00 hrs

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-30-03-2020.png?itok=ryFjj8oE

A welcome fall in the numbers today... maybe even a peak ?

Hopefully not a glitch, time will tell.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I just heard on the radio that one of the Aer Lingus planes had to return in emergency landing due to an engine fire caused by a bird strike.

At Dublin Airport?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement