Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's thought around 15% of those infected will suffer those kind of severe symptoms, footballers Pepe Reina and Paulo Dybala described similar situations which were difficult and frightful to read.

We should all be aware that those things could realistically happen to us or someone close to us and if it concentrates the mind for staying indoors then media is having a positive impact in publishing them.

Yes and statistics show that 18% of 20-40 year old's who contract the illness will record a video saying "I thought it couldn't happen to me, the media told us it doesn't affect young people, but it does.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

growleaves wrote: »
    Chinese markets again selling bats -- likely source of deadly pandemic -- reporters say

This bat soup must be really nice, people can't get enough of it.

"British reporters say"

Its possible it's true but I'd be very cynical about any vague reporting relating to China at the moment when the US and UK especially see them as their scapegoat for blame and anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Nermal wrote: »
    If Sweden had followed Norway and Denmark, instead of 239 deaths, they would have had between 80-180.

Calling any of those figures 'disastrous' is ludicrous.

This time last year, if I suggested shutting millions of people into their homes for weeks at a time to save between 60 and 160 people, I would have been laughed at.

This is a mass delusion. In a year you won't wonder what came over you to think that this was reasonable - you'll deny you ever thought it was a good idea at all.

I wonder if their health care system can manage it more than heat for example. I would think that actions will be in proportion to what a countries healthcare system can manage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

crx=== wrote: »
    Food could become the new currency...

This disagrees with you completely.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200401-covid-19-why-we-wont-run-out-of-food-during-coronavirus

Yes and statistics show that 18% of 20-40 year old's who contract the illness will record a video saying "I thought it couldn't happen to me, the media told us it doesn't affect young people, but it does.."
    I'm sure it's 23%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Off to collect a ParcelMotel in a minute, just running through the military-style preparations in my head. Leaving the house these days always brings this line to mind:
    Stretching-it-to-something-the-statute-didnt-intend.-2-5.png

I hate to be Nerdy here, but wasn't that Bilbo who said that ?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

A lot of farmers will go bust. Especially beef farmers

a lot of every type of worker will lose their jobs.

Before people criticise or be pedantic they need to realise they don’t know what’s going on in someone’s life and what people are going through we all need to be a lot nicer and kinder at the moment

Yes no need for any aggro, don’t know why people treat others like that. I hope the person who was up with his son has the support he needs. Very challenging time especially for children with additional needs and their families without the supports they need. People really need to be kinder to one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭circadian

Chinese markets again selling bats -- likely source of deadly pandemic -- reporters say

Washington Times, rag that is not exadctly trustworthy quotes Daily Mail which is less trustworthy which quotes "sources say".

Unless there's actual evidence then this is nothing more than clickbait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

We'll see how much higher it goes but relatively speaking they're still doing better than a lot of European countries.

The US is 5 times bigger than the UK for instance but only has twice their death rate.

The big problem is New York state, 505 deaths today accounting for half of all deaths.
    Relative population doesn't matter until infections reach a point where it is reaching a point where there are not enough people who have not yet been infected for it to start affecting the transmission rate.

At this time a simple numerical comparison is more valid than relatively speaking.

The US has twice the UK death rate which in itself is not great. That should be worrying the US administration.

With a larger population the US has a larger pool into which the infection can spread at an ever increasing rate and for a longer time if unckecked. The population size is more relevant to how long it takes and how many people can be infected before it runs out of new victims and burns itself out.

The US is in far worse condition than UK (or Ireland) and has the potential to grow more.

When the pandemic is over relative comparisons of infection, hospitalisation, ICU admission and mortality can be used to measure the relative effectiveness of different countries mitigation efforts but at the moment, while we are a long way away from saturation rates of infection, absolute values from day zero are a more valid measure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Instructions are on the back of the label.

When it comes to cleaning groceries from the shop, what's best to use? We have some Dettol wipes, but have thick bleach also, could use instead. Actually, what is the difference between thick/thin bleach? :confused:
    Should we just use soapy water and a cloth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Rain starting out there.

Now I'm worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Watch the video "I Found The Source of the Coronavirus" by laowhy86 on YouTube. Not going to link it here but it's worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Stateofyou wrote: »
    When it comes to cleaning groceries from the shop, what's best to use? We have some Dettol wipes, but have thick bleach also, could use instead. Actually, what is the difference between thick/thin bleach? :confused:

just leave them sitting there for a few hours, be grand

soapy water is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Having watched the statistics that are being produced during this pandemic and all the commentary around them, I think that the figures are largely junk.
    When you look at some of the key stats that are being published for different countries, you have no idea what any of them mean, e.g.
    Number of cases:- It does not mean the number of occurrences of the disease. It might be the number of positive tests but that entirely depends on who you decide to test. Unless there is widespread community antibody testing, which there isn’t, you will have no idea how many people are/were infected.
    Number of deaths:- It depends on which deaths you include or exclude and whether you include everyone who died and were also Covid19 positive. In the UK they do not include deaths which did not occur in hospital. You also have to factor in the age cohort in which most of the deaths occur. Most deaths in normal times occur in that age cohort anyway.
    Number recovered:- This is complete fiction. If it’s not known who had it, how would it be possible to tell how many recovered?

I think we all should take the published statistics with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

No your stats are all wrong.

It may be as high as 20% of those who get an illness, who will take an uncomfortably close up video saying above!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Having watched the statistics that are being produced during this pandemic and all the commentary around them, I think that the figures are largely junk.
    When you look at some of the key stats that are being published for different countries, you have no idea what any of them mean, e.g.
    Number of cases:- It does not mean the number of occurrences of the disease. It might be the number of positive tests but that entirely depends on who you decide to test. Unless there is widespread community antibody testing, which there isn’t, you will have no idea how many people are/were infected.
    Number of deaths:- It depends on which deaths you include or exclude and whether you include everyone who died and were also Covid19 positive. In the UK they do not include deaths which did not occur in hospital. You also have to factor in the age cohort in which most of the deaths occur. Most deaths in normal times occur in that age cohort anyway.
    Number recovered:- This is complete fiction. If it’s not known who had it, how would it be possible to tell how many recovered?

thanks for sorting that out for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You could leave everything bar fruit/veg and stuff that goes into fridge in the shed for 72 hours. The other stuff could be washed with very soapy water or very diluted bleach.

just leave them sitting there for a few hours, be grand

soapy water is great

72 hours

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah surely the deaths must include nursing home figures?

Otherwise theres no reliable figures being produced and we are no better than China.

No, in Italy nursing homes and deaths occur in people’s homes are not counted either. Only deaths in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Roger_007 wrote: »

The figures are useless when they are not complete.

What is causing the death figures to look high is that anyone who dies but has tested positive is a covid death regardless of what the cause was.

In the US they don’t record flu deaths in people over 18 so it’s estimated. Covid 19 is notifiable so all positive cases recorded are cause of death

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

You could leave everything bar fruit/veg and stuff that goes into fridge in the shed for 72 hours. The other stuff could be washed with very soapy water or very diluted bleach.

Thanks for that. Probably will use soapy water but if we did use the bleach for cleaning, would the "thick" bleach be okay to dilute and use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I would think a precautionary approach was taken getting to that figure, perfect conditions, strongest, freshest strain ,get your results and multiply by 2 to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

frillyleaf wrote: »
    No, in Italy nursing homes and deaths occur in people’s homes are not counted either. Only deaths in hospital

If that is what is happening, and in Ireland too, then it is really ridiculous. Someone should find out the facts about that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If that is true, and I'm not convinced it is, its time to cut China off from international trade in the long run.

Its only a matter of time before their wet markets give us an even worse virus than coronavirus, or a more lethal strain of coronavirus.

Its almost like they are engaging in a form of biological warfare against the rest of the world at this stage.

Coronavirus will kill more people than terrorism by far his year. And will have killed more than all nuclear weapons used in history within a few months.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Probably will use soapy water but if we did use the bleach for cleaning, would the "thick" bleach be okay to dilute and use?

Yeah. Two tablespoons in a litre of water would sanitise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

not for tough guys

Not for any guys, gals, boys or girls.

I would think a precautionary approach was taken getting to that figure, perfect conditions, strongest, freshest strain ,get your results and multiply by 2 to be sure

Probably. 72 hours is pretty much the accepted time. Obviously the virus is on it's last legs at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

If that is true, and I'm not convinced it is, its time to cut China off from international trade in the long run.

Its only a matter of time before their wet markets give us an even worse virus than coronavirus, or a more lethal strain of coronavirus.

Its almost like they are engaging in a form of biological warfare against the rest of the world at this stage.

Coronavirus will kill more people than terrorism by far his year. And will have killed more than all nuclear weapons used in history within a few months.

Should we stop eating chicken and pig to stop influenza spreading also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Jin luk wrote: »

Yes.
    Fillet steaks for everybody.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Observation (long piece) on how this virus is affecting how we behave.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200401-covid-19-how-fear-of-coronavirus-is-changing-our-psychology

:D:D yeah BBC the biggest issue is "racism" ...

F*ck OFF!!!

You can see the lefty moron writing the article, same sort of idiot that would have been clapping the "Hug a Chinese tourist" initiative to combat "racism" in Florence 2 months ago .... see how northern Italy are doing so well ........... oh wait ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I wonder if their health care system can manage it more than heat for example. I would think that actions will be in proportion to what a countries healthcare system can manage

Sweden has fewer ICU beds than either the UK or Ireland per 100000 of the population.

Not looking good for them imo.

Like I said in my previous post. There's a very good video about it. It seems they weren't eating the bats. Anyway, I won't go into the whole thing. It's a theory among others.

:D:D yeah BBC the biggest issue is "racism" ...

F*ck OFF!!!
    I see you're in flying form again today!:D

The mayor of Bergamo in Italy said the real figure of deaths was probably 4 times the official figure and I think he was right.

We know that confirmed cases is a small fraction of real cases. Nursing home deaths weren't counted. People who died at home weren't counted. And many simply died without ever being tested. It will be the same wherever there is a huge backlog for testing.

China is the enemy of the globe, they are back open for business and loving this as they buy up massive stocks when prices are rock bottom.

They have destroyed all rival economies and will be the only super power in 6 months time.

Jin luk wrote: »

How many people died from eating chicken and pig in the west this year?

You are Chinese right? Not that it makes too big a deal.

Though this was an excellent point on RTE live blog this morning
    Instead of relying on tests - just presume everyone with symptoms has it.
    If later confirmed negative what harm, at least contacts etc are being isolated and monitored in the interim on the chance that its positive

And that's the issue. With current testing - we really have no idea who does and who does not have it.

For this reason alone - mask wearing needs to be made mandatory now - if only to stop people infecting others whilst out shopping etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

44 American college students out of a group of 70 test positive after returning from spring break in Mexico ...probably all the riding
    https://mobile.twitter.com/cnn/status/1245662139592986624?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Want to be careful how you look at data in isolation. How does this compare with other weeks? A large proporation of people who die of old age will be finished off by pneumonia or ARD
    The data is here if you want to take a look.
    https://datacatalog.cookcountyil.gov/Public-Safety/Medical-Examiner-Case-Archive/cjeq-bs86/data

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Would it be as bad as the people/alco's who got outraged over the pubs closing?

Generation Lout would you call it?

From the footage of Templebar before the closure of pubs - generation 'lout' and 'pansy' were one and the same.

For the eejits complaining about having to stay at home - cop yerselves on.

gozunda wrote: »
    And that's the issue. With current testing - we really have no idea who does and who does not have it.

For this reason alone - mask wearing needs to be made mandatory now - if only to stop people infecting others whilst out shopping etc.

It should be. But people should also have access to masks - preferably good ones. I don't get why more factories are not making masks 24/7 at the moment. They're not particularly difficult to manufacture. If there was a large enough supply of masks, the propaganda about masks not working and trying to make people feel guilty for using them because they are stealing the protective gear professionals should be wearing would end.

We have tended not to do mandatory instructions during this if we can avoid it and the line from the HSE is that they are of no great benefit save in specific situations. Then there's the supply issue.

Is that the first official address that our president has made since the crisis began?

wakka12 wrote: »
    44 American college students out of a group of 70 test positive after returning from spring break in Mexico ...probably all the riding
    https://mobile.twitter.com/cnn/status/1245662139592986624?s=21

Spring Break likely played a huge role in the nationwide spread. There's probably clusters around every campus in America now as well as families of students. Big price to pay for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Spring Break likely played a huge role in the nationwide spread. There's probably clusters around every campus in America now as well as families of students. Big price to pay for a bit of craic.

And Mexico also.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

How many people died from eating chicken and pig in the west this year?

You are Chinese right? Not that it makes too big a deal.

Eating chicken and pig has been the cause of plenty of deadly influenza outbreaks america and mexico was the cause of 2 of these serious outbreaks.

And as it shows in the movie contagion, the bat does not need to be eating for the virus to transfer ti humans.

Last time i checked this virus only had like 97% RNA to bat coronavirus which means their was another host which a human ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

What part of ' there aren't enough masks for everyone ' aren't you able to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Yes, but they do have a level of ignorance defense. The US gov was lacking in the strength of the message it was communicating to the people.

It was only a few days ago that Dumpy Trumpy was announcing that the country would be back to normal on Easter Sunday, because he liked Easter and thought it would be a nice occasion on which to lift the light restrictions that they had imposed at the time. Before that it was all a hoax, or he 'imagined' that it was not as bad as people were saying.

How could anyone take the matter seriously with that level of 'leadership'.

• Advertisement

So those unemployment figures, a record high and likely to go a good bit higher.:(

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0402/1128044-live-register-figures/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement