Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

You could leave everything bar fruit/veg and stuff that goes into fridge in the shed for 72 hours. The other stuff could be washed with very soapy water or very diluted bleach.

Milton is the job for this type of thing. Especially their sprays and no danger from them like bleach.

I don't see leaving stuff for 72 hours as practical, we are getting a delivery every 5 to 7 days, we are very low on everything once it arrives and need a lot of the stuff straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

is_that_so wrote: »
    We have tended not to do mandatory instructions during this if we can avoid it and the line from the HSE is that they are of no great benefit save in specific situations. Then there's the supply issue.

Unfortunately the HSE are simply parroting the WHO. This situation has now been seriously called into question and many countries are starting to reconsider this advice and making mask wearing mandatory in specific circumstances. .

As to the supply - there are plenty of alternatives. Better safe than sorry when we have absolutely no idea who is or is not infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I watched a woman I follow on Instagram wash all her delivered groceries with water and bleach.

Is that not ever so slightly OTT or should we now be doing this also?

If you really really really really dont want to catch the virus you ll do everything to minimise the risk.

Im not in an at risk group(not that I know of) but I dont want to ever get it or pass it on. We're washing our fruit/veg with milton and wiping down other groceries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

wakka12 wrote: »
    44 American college students out of a group of 70 test positive after returning from spring break in Mexico ...probably all the riding
    https://mobile.twitter.com/cnn/status/1245662139592986624?s=21

What were the riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

see spains death total has gone over 10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gozunda wrote: »
    Unfirtunstrly the HSE are parroing the WHO. This situation has now been seriously called into question and many countries are starting to reconsider this advice and making mask wearing msdatirybin specific circumstances. .

As to the supply - there are plenty of alternatives. Better safe than sorry when we have absolutely no idea is or is not infected.
    They say they are working off evidence. I adopt the usual precautions anywhere I go and that works for me and mine. If an edict comes I'll oblige but I do understand that some people feel a need to wear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

If anyone is wondering where all the bread in the shops is going!

gozunda wrote: »
    And that's the issue. With current testing - we really have no idea who does and who does not have it.

For this reason alone - mask wearing needs to be made mandatory now - if only to stop people infecting others whilst out shopping etc.

I think people are underestimating what testing is telling us.

Even if our testing looks low we are doing much more targeted testing and are testing similar numbers every day. If our positive tests stay around the same it shows that its not spreading wildly as if the overall number of positives is increasing but the daily numbers are not shooting up then clearly things are being contained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So those unemployment figures, a record high and likely to go a good bit higher.:(

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0402/1128044-live-register-figures/

The majority of the job losses will be temporary.

• Advertisement

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    What part of ' there aren't enough masks for everyone ' aren't you able to understand?

Failure in the basic comprehension department evidently

The fact that many people already have masks available to them and that are alternatives to those used by medical staff.

For example many existing N95 masks are not suitable for medical use due to chain of custody issues etc. . These will however serve the general population where all means need to be used to reduce the spread of infection. Home made masks are also an option. Its really not that difficult to figure any of that out.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    For sure, just a big chunk of people. Hopefully that 12 weeks will signal an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Spring Break likely played a huge role in the nationwide spread. There's probably clusters around every campus in America now as well as families of students. Big price to pay for a bit of craic.
    There was an post some days ago showing cell phone tracking exodus from Miami after Spring Break ended there. Interestingly virtual all the cell tracking stopped east of the Mississippi.

Presumably Mexico is the venue of choice for the West Coast so this may trigger a large spike in California's current low numbers in the next few weeks.

No idea where students the states in the middle party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Here's a Death graph of Ireland and the Scandinavian countries (plus Spain who are on the worst European trajectory)

EA0Ztuz.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    What part of ' there aren't enough masks for everyone ' aren't you able to understand?

That will (more than likely) be a problem.

A WHO panel are meeting today to discuss revising their advice that masks should only be worn by people with COVID-19 and those caring for people with COVID-19.

The Czech Republic have made the wearing of masks mandatory by all people who venture outside. It's helping them keep a lid on the number of new cases, along with the social distancing rules of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Klonker wrote: »
    If anyone is wondering where all the bread in the shops is going!

I count 6 loaves, not an extraordinary amount. Maybe that is the only shop they do for 2 weeks and we don't know how many people are in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A 6 week old baby died in America. A 13 year old died in the UK, a 16 year old died in France. A 42 year old died in Ireland (going by what another poster said here yesterday).

I think there will be deaths of all ages and not just the old.

Why are you posting this? Everyone knows this. It is undisputed that there have been and will be deaths of all ages. But the weighting in the various age groupings leans far more to the elderly age cohorts.

You're just posting hysterics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You really think so? A lot of businesses won't reopen after this is all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even if our testing looks low we are doing much more targeted testing and are testing similar numbers every day. If our positive tests stay around the same it shows that its not spreading wildly as if the overall number of positives is increasing but the daily numbers are not shooting up then clearly things are being contained.

As has been pointed out many times, testing is for the benefit of the public health policy setting. People who are sick - whether from Covid19 or other ailments will receive full medical responses.

Important lessons are being learnt - eg the number of contacts each positive has is reducing from 20 to 5 to 3. Also, the medical staff are getting infected from sources outside work.

So testing is not for the sole benefit of those being tested.

If you do not want to be infected - wash you hands properly, stay at home, and keep away from everyone else - they may be infected and so might you.

Nothing to do with current rates of testing. There is increasing evidence that asymptomatic and early onset cases are a significant risk of infecting others.

It is known that the spread of infection can be reduced by the infected wearing masks However we dont know who those people are.

As much as hand washing - we need to do start using masks . Now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Milton is the job for this type of thing. Especially their sprays and no danger from them like bleach.

I don't see leaving stuff for 72 hours as practical, we are getting a delivery every 5 to 7 days, we are very low on everything once it arrives and need a lot of the stuff straight away.

Milton sterilising liquid is bleach (sodium hypochlorite) based. Still, it doesn't kill viruses on contact:
    Virucidal: in 15 minutes NF T72-180. Effective on Rotavirus and Coronavirus.

As for the disinfectant sprays, I've just looked at their website: it says it's an Antibacterial Surface Spray, it does not kill viruses.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why are you posting this? Everyone knows this. It is undisputed that there have been and will be deaths of all ages. But the weighting in the various age groupings leans far more to the elderly age cohorts.

You're just posting hysterics.
    TBF some posters are having a very hard time with this and you might want to consider cutting posts like that some slack. Treat it as one of the many of the posts we read but don't respond to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stateofyou wrote: »
    When it comes to cleaning groceries from the shop, what's best to use? We have some Dettol wipes, but have thick bleach also, could use instead. Actually, what is the difference between thick/thin bleach? :confused:
    Should we just use soapy water and a cloth?

I just use detergent and a sponge and then nuke the sponge in the microwave for 40 seconds. Detergents can neutralize viruses because they break them open by attacking their lipid coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

BattleCorp wrote: »

Some not alot.

I do think a credit on public liability insurance should be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does anyone believe that we will get up to 10000 tests per day by mid April?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭jackboy

New Home wrote: »
    Milton sterilising liquid is bleach (sodium hypochlorite) based. Still, it doesn't kill viruses on contact:

As for the disinfectant sprays, I've just looked at their website: it says it's an AntibacterialSurface Spray, it does not kill viruses[/B].

A bit of washing up liquid in warm water will kill the virus nicely. No need for the fancy stuff.

walshb wrote: »
    Does anyone believe that we will get up to 10000 tests per day by mid April?
    Mid-April is just two weeks away so no probably not. Once we get past that 7-10 day delay one would assume it will be able to ramp up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TBF some posters are having a very hard time with this and you might want to consider cutting posts like that some slack. Treat it as one of the many of the posts we read but don't respond to.

Others will read it won't they? And it might feed into their sense of unease.. worsening it.

I think it's appropriate to call out hysterics as such.

New Home wrote: »

As for the disinfectant sprays, I've just looked at their website: it says it's an Antibacterial Surface Spray, it does not kill viruses.

I read Milton kills corona so assumed all their products did hence why I have been using the spray (which says bleach free and assumed it was the same stuff as the sterilising fluid).

I’d assume though that if wiping with simple soap clears it away that wiping with a disinfectant spray would too though despite it not officially killing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jackboy wrote: »
    A bit of washing up liquid in warm water will kill the virus nicely. No need for the fancy stuff.
    why soap kills coronavirus
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

EUhOZ7aUEAEgw3u.jpg

And we were thinking of sending student nurses into danger without pay...
    Anyone know how much they are being paid now ?

As much as we all want to say that FG etc are doing a "good" job with this Corona situation. The above needs to constantly act as a reminder what the situation was before this pandemic hit and how government were of little help and in many cases, an actual hindrance.

Perhaps this is the sea change that's needed regarding government attitude to front line healthcare staff and their needs.

I won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brwh11

Here's a Death graph of Ireland and the Scandinavian countries (plus Spain who are on the worst European trajectory)

what is the source site for this graph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

marno21 wrote: »
    Tony H is back at work

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1245640109711486977

Fantastic news. Great to see him recovered

Terrible news

Big figures coming

Tony doesn't get out of bed for 212 cases :p

Only if the lockdown doesnt last too long. Once we start moving through May and into June, with this level of lockdown I think that 'temporary' will look less and less likely to be the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

People who look like that are usually ones out to try and nab your girlfriend/wife

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Gynoid wrote: »
    Funny how this situation can affect the psyche. Usually if I have a bad dream the bad stuff would be fairly dramatic, being chased by unknown evil doers, a rising sea blocking me in, walking on a narrow ledge high up, that kind of thing. Had a bad dream last night. Was just walking down a nondescript street. And people kept passing me by too closely! One even rubbed off of me. Aaaarrgghhhh! :(

Was quite anxious the first week of the shutdown and remember waking up after bad dreams a number of times, to the realization that the daytime nightmare was so much worse! I found that really freaky at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get all the calls for masks for everyone. Sure if you have to be around other people at work but those of us who are staying at home and not seeing anyone outside the household except when going to the shops, surely the chances of catching it are next to nothing, mask or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

cnocbui wrote: »
    I just use detergent and a sponge and then nuke the sponge in the microwave for 40 seconds. Detergents can neutralize viruses because they break them open by attacking their lipid coats.

That's fine but I've read that microwaves aren't enough to kill it. I guess the heat of water vapour if over 60C should kill it though.

Terrible news

Big figures coming

Tony doesn't get out of bed for 212 cases :p
    Amazing the panic one man down causes!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Tony EH wrote: »
    As much as we all want to say that FG etc are doing a "good" job with this Corona situation. The above needs to constantly act as a reminder what the situation was before this pandemic hit and how government were of little help and in many cases, an actual hindrance.

Perhaps this is the sea change that's needed regarding government attitude to front line healthcare staff and their needs.

I won't hold my breath though.

The HSE gets 17.5 billion, per year, from the Irish government. Maybe we should look at the HSE and actually see where the spend is being allocated to rather than the same tired lazy political back and forth which has got us nowhere since the establishment of the unified health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I don't get all the calls for masks for everyone. Sure if you have to be around other people at work but those of us who are staying at home and not seeing anyone outside the household except when going to the shops, surely the chances of catching it are next to nothing, mask or not?

A mask will probably help to reduce your odds of catching the virus, a mask will definitely reduce your odds of passing on the virus, even if you don't know you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MadYaker wrote: »
    The UK media in general have been an absolute disgrace throughout this. Both the tabloids and the guardian. Stoking fear and spreading panic. We whinge about RTE (for good reason) but they’ve done ok here getting the info out in a factual manner and not trying to terrify people.

Then you read these threads and it is all fear and panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep he is, hard to ascertain his reasons for this campaign given it's essentially based on firing out fact and proof free statements. Is he still angry at Fine Girl for not prostrating itself and the DCC at the feet of his web summit jamboree?

In other news Eddie Large is the latest well known (ish) name/face to have been claimed by Covid 19, again old with a poor heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭bennyl10

and we'd people on this thread sharing him like he was any kind of source.

If you want your wifi fixed, go to PC,
    otherwise he's best ignored

snotboogie wrote: »
    A mask will probably help to reduce your odds of catching the virus, a mask will definitely reduce your odds of passing on the virus, even if you don't know you have it.
    As do washing hands, not touching your face and social distancing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I read Milton kills corona so assumed all their products did hence why I have been using the spray (which says bleach free and assumed it was the same stuff as the sterilising fluid).

I’d assume though that if wiping with simple soap clears it away that wiping with a disinfectant spray would too though despite it not officially killing it.

The spray does not have the same ingredients as the sterilising fluid. As for the antiviral properties of the spray, it depends on what the ingredients are and on how they act on the pathogen. Soapy water (in this case) kills off the virus because it breaks down the fatty "shell" around it - soap is a degreaser. I'm not sure how the spray operates, but if it did kill viruses it would say so on the label. It may not have de-greasing properties.

It's not safe to assume anything, especially with something this dangerous.

MOR316 wrote: »
    People who look like that are usually ones out to try and nab your girlfriend/wife

Was there other tweets to go with this one? Why are people assuming he's talking about ireland?

Sorry quoted the wrong post, I'm talking about the web summit bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

BattleCorp wrote: »

I think ownership of businesses may change hands due to cash flow issues, but the demand for goods and services will bounce back; especially in the hospitality sector where most of the job losses have been.

We’ll see a lot of the chains buying up these smaller independent businesses.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement