Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think ownership of businesses may change hands due to cash flow issues, but the demand for goods and services will bounce back; especially in the hospitality sector where most of the job losses have been.

We’ll see a lot of the chains buying up these smaller independent businesses.
    Recessions are used by business to let go of staff whether they need to or not. Theres an assumption that there will be a high spike in demand and business cannot survive this without their staff. I very much doubt that. Restrictions will be lifted gradually, there isnt going to be a bounce back to the boom times.

It could also be the final nail in the coffin for bricks and mortar as everyone will have learnt how to shop online efficiently by the end of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

josip wrote: »
    An RT report about something that supposedly happened in China?
    It doesn't get much more unreliable than that.

As I said it was confirmed by a French politician and I quoted one of the multiple reports in French national media (this particular one from the French public broadcaster). Are you saying those are also unaware of what is happening to French goods?

Provided the RT link as the first English version of the report I found on google.

I am of course open to correction and news reports can be incorrect. But cherrypicking RT amongst the multiple sources to call the news unreliable doesn't seem like a very convincing argument to me TBH.

And here is another source in English which pop-up since my first post (public funded French international news radio station): http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Has anyone listened to David McWilliams latest podcast. He was explining how the negative interest rates work. He was basically saying that the central bank in Ireland has been doing a terrible job and the point of the ECB's rate cut was to put money in people's pockets. How they do this is with the dramatic rate cut so banks in Ireland could cut peoples mortgage rate to 1.25% and still earn 2% interest.

None of the banks have signaled that this will be passed on and the central back hasn't opened its mouth. Now is surely the time to pass this on.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Has anyone listened to David McWilliams latest podcast. He was explining how the negative interest rates work. He was basically saying that the central bank in Ireland has been doing a terrible job and the point of the ECB's rate cut was to put money in people's pockets. How they do this is with the dramatic rate cut so banks in Ireland could cut peoples mortgage rate to 1.25% and still earn 2% interest.

None of the banks have signaled that this will be passed on and the central back hasn't opened its mouth. Now is surely the time to pass this on.
    Banks returning the favour after we bailed them out?? Unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did he bother to mention the cost to banks of tracker mortgages? That has a whole lot more to do with the overall picture.

of course they have not, banks run the country end if story. same all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

ugghhhhhh, I really HATE the banks! the most selfish 'business' in the world. They are so greedy and genuinely anger me so much. I cant understand why there is not more uproar from people about them. They are doing nothing, nothing decent for people through this. And they should be to the fore in helping, after all we did to help them a decade ago. Any offers they give will only be more profit for them in the end. Greed!
    sorry rant over now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I think ownership of businesses may change hands due to cash flow issues, but the demand for goods and services will bounce back; especially in the hospitality sector where most of the job losses have been.

We’ll see a lot of the chains buying up these smaller independent businesses.
    Don't foresee any recovery in international tourism this year, and probably only at a very reduced level in '21.

Why would large chains buy up smaller independent businesses, which are essentially very much targeted on tighter market segments?

Believe it much more likely they'd seek to buy up defaulted leases to improve their footfall positioning where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Maybe a stupid question but the politicians are starting to squabble again.

Have any of them taken a pay cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

is_that_so wrote: »
    As do washing hands, not touching your face and social distancing.

What is your big fear about masks .

Will you stop this nonsense every day , masks are being recommended now ,WHO are thinking about changing their advice about masks .

If you don't want to wear one fine but leave people to wear one if they want to and stop posting bad advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Anyone wake up to a few bags of shopping on their doorstep this morning? D5 Area, few houses on road got stuff. Was just wondering who its from so we can thank them.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

17% Unemployment rate

construction and everything connected with it since Friday not included in that number

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Summer2020

They’re trying to soften us up for longer term restrictions , it’s very obvious. This community care thing that’s being rolled out nationwide is certainly not for the short term. Elderly and vulnerable likely to be cocooned for 3 months minimum , with everyone else gradually getting back to normal in 3-4 weeks time is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Summer2020 wrote: »
    They’re trying to soften us up for longer term restrictions , it’s very obvious. This community care thing that’s being rolled out nationwide is certainly not for the short term. Elderly and vulnerable likely to be cocooned for 3 months minimum , with everyone else gradually getting back to normal in 3-4 weeks time is my guess

I reckon it'll be early maybe before restrictions will be softened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

jackboy wrote: »
    A bit of washing up liquid in warm water will kill the virus nicely. No need for the fancy stuff.

Yes, plain soap breaks down the outer fatty wall of the virus, thus killing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

bennyl10 wrote: »
    If you want your wifi fixed, go to PC,
    otherwise he's best ignored
    We would be the last person I would go to on Wifi, I mean the very last person EVER! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Some tests are now being sent abroad to be completed so testing results may start to come through quicker.

https://www.thejournal.ie/reagents-testing-pharma-5064565-Apr2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

saabsaab wrote: »
    That's fine but I've read that microwaves aren't enough to kill it. I guess the heat of water vapour if over 60C should kill it though.

40 seconds has all the water in the sponge at more like 100° C. It's just over kill on my part, the detergent should have been enough to kill the virus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

MipMap wrote: »

No, they work on a mutually agreed upward-only revision basis.

Have always believed that their remuneration levels should be based on fixed (low) ratios of average industrial wage, not on the current incestious relationship with Civil Service pay levels under PSSA.

Summer2020 wrote: »

That what I think will happen. But I can also imagine the reaction of the average elderly Irish citizen when asked to stay inside for 3 months.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The majority of the job losses will be temporary.

You can’t say that with any confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

snotboogie wrote: »
    A mask will probably help to reduce your odds of catching the virus, a mask will definitely reduce your odds of passing on the virus, even if you don't know you have it.
    And the last part is hugely important.
    While I do not have stats to back it up, I figure that a sizeable portion of transmissions are from asymptomatic carriers. A mask would make a huge difference to transmission rates. Unfortunately due to the shortage in Ireland, the government is trying to persuade us that they are not necessary for the majority.

Every person in this country should be receiving free masks ..... like they do in other countries. The government failed in its forecasting in both sourcing the masks externally and/or producing them within the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

d51984 wrote: »
    Anyone wake up to a few bags of shopping on their doorstep this morning? D5 Area, few houses on road got stuff. Was just wondering who its from so we can thank them.

Ffs! How would anyone here know that?

It sounds like a mis-delivery. Don’t use the food as it’s likely for an aged or infirm person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Some tests are now being sent abroad to be completed so testing results may start to come through quicker.

https://www.thejournal.ie/reagents-testing-pharma-5064565-Apr2020/

I was reading that Germany have been taking similar measures, even sending tests to many veterinary labs in order to speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

17% Unemployment rate

construction and everything connected with it since Friday not included in that number

That is catastrophic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are ramping up mendacious stupidity as we speak

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1245353362515787778

Darwin will work well with this one.

ITman88 wrote: »
    That is catastrophic

And why the restrictions will be eased as soon as is possible (with cocooning for the elderly and at risk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jackboy wrote: »
    A bit of washing up liquid in warm water will kill the virus nicely. No need for the fancy stuff.

I've always used Fairly liquid as hand-wash. It's so mild that it's used to clean oil from sea birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ITman88 wrote: »
    That is catastrophic

For sure, but it needs to be borne in mind that the 'unemployment' rate for the next 2-3 months will be very misleading. Economists say we will need to see the figure in autumn or at Christmas to get any sort of handle on what the impact is.

At the moment, huge numbers of people are 'unemployed' because their companies are not allowed by law to open or do business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

MipMap wrote: »

I hadn`t realised they had stopped squabbling.:rolleyes:

What’s the point of a curfew for 6 hours in the middle of the night? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they prevent people from coming in to the country we'll be over this fairly quickly. We need a border with NI and no travel into the country.
    A four week lockdown should see the end of it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What’s the point of a curfew for 6 hours in the middle of the night? Am I missing something?

Maybe it just means there's less chance of things happening that emergency services and police etc will have to respond to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Entertainment venues such as bars, clubs, restaurants, pool halls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Ffs! How would anyone here know that?

It sounds like a mis-delivery. Don’t use the food as it’s likely for an aged or infirm person.

Keep your g string on there... My mother is old. Lots of houses on road got them. All in brown bags and mostly all eldery people got them.

What do you mean how do you know? Look out your front ****ing door, if theres shopping on doorstep you know..... Stupid comment ffs.

In future if you have nothing usefull to say dont post!!!!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just one of the things that springs to mind, limiting contact with sex workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

MOR316 wrote: »
    People who look like that are usually ones out to try and nab your girlfriend/wife

But too nerdy to break out of the Friend Zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Jin luk wrote: »
    Eating chicken and pig has been the cause of plenty of deadly influenza outbreaks america and mexico was the cause of 2 of these serious outbreaks.

And as it shows in the movie contagion, the bat does not need to be eating for the virus to transfer ti humans.

Last time i checked this virus only had like 97% RNA to bat coronavirus which means their was another host which a human ate.

So you are ok with Wet Markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1172781

Sweden won't go into lockdown.

Crazy decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Masks or no?

Probably best if we all wear one or if you can't get one make it or use a fine mesh scarf, everyone had one of those hanging about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

UrbanFret wrote: »
    What were the riding?

Bats, obviously

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just been a press briefing from the UK Government

Boris Johnson says that he still has symptoms but is ending isolation
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1245686890080190465

What a great example he sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

eagle eye wrote: »
    If they prevent people from coming in to the country we'll be over this fairly quickly. We need a border with NI and no travel into the country.
    A four week lockdown should see the end of it then.

No it won't.

We will just get a second wave.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Just one of the things that springs to mind, limiting contact with sex workers?

Yes and other measures!

https://www.sexualwellbeing.ie/sexual-health/sex-and-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just off the phone with my GP organizing some prescriptions for my son.
    I asked him was he busy doing tests or refairals for the viruse surprisingly he said no two weeks ago everybody in his catchment though they had it and he was swamped.
    Now he said just the routine patients.
    Maybe some areas are not as bad as though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Crazy decision.

What is the average age and social care system like in Sweden?

Is there a significant problem to be solved or money to be saved by getting rid of a large number of elderly and sick?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Masks or no?

Probably best if we all wear one or if you can't get one make it or use a fine mesh scarf, everyone had one of those hanging about.

From HSE, current advice
    Using masks is unlikely to be of any benefit if you are not sick.

Sick people will be advised by their doctor when to use a mask. Healthcare workers need masks and other personal protective equipment to protect them from infection during their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭jackboy

Crazy decision.

From a purely scientific point of view this will give great data as a comparison to what other countries are doing. I am sure there is a red line though where a u turn will take place if things deteriorate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement