Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So apart from spending an occasional glance at this thread for updates, what are you's doing to pass these hours of social isolation away. For me I'm currently reading a book called A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini about turmoil in Afghanistan during the mid seventies onward and the tale of two families in war torn Kabul. Have also being watching The Mafia Only Kills in Summer with my family as we are all affected about the devasting news recently from Italy so currently looking at season 1 on the RTE player among other things and helping my sister and her husband at the allotment in Bandon for the brief outside. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

snowgal wrote: »
    ugghhhhhh, I really HATE the banks! the most selfish 'business' in the world. They are so greedy and genuinely anger me so much. I cant understand why there is not more uproar from people about them. They are doing nothing, nothing decent for people through this. And they should be to the fore in helping, after all we did to help them a decade ago. Any offers they give will only be more profit for them in the end. Greed!
    sorry rant over now!!!

Agreed. Their day is over tho. People still have power. The last election demonstrated that. If people are made to suffer because of this there will be demonstrations like you have never seen in Ireland. There has been underlying resentment in Ireland that has been festering. Very few buttons left to push before we snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

ZX7R wrote: »
    Just off the phone with my GP organizing some prescriptions for my son.
    I asked him was he busy doing tests or refairals for the viruse surprisingly he said no two weeks ago everybody in his catchment though they had it and he was swamped.
    Now he said just the routine patients.
    Maybe some areas are not as bad as though.

I said a fair chunk of the population gets a cold/flu /chest infection between Dec and March. Naturally you would be worried that it was C19. So there would be a rush to get a test.

Now with lockdown very few will catch a cold/flu/chest infection etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

New Home wrote: »
    Just one of the things that springs to mind, limiting contact with sex workers?
    Asking for a friend eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So apart from spending an occasional glance at this thread for updates, what are you's doing to pass these hours of social isolation away. For me I'm currently reading a book called A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini about turmoil in Afghanistan during the mid seventies onward and the tale of two families in war torn Kabul. Have also being watching The Mafia Only Kills in Summer with my family as we are all affected about the devasting news recently from Italy so currently looking at season 1 on the RTE player among other things and helping my sister and her husband at the allotment in Bandon for the brief outside. :)
    working. on lunch at the moment. busier than ever. lot of our customers are looking at doing IT upgrades.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That series is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

6.7 million Americans have filed for unemployment assistance within space of a week, a record

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/u-s-jobless-claims-doubled-to-record-6-65-million-last-week?srnd=premium-europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Tony EH wrote: »
    As much as we all want to say that FG etc are doing a "good" job with this Corona situation. The above needs to constantly act as a reminder what the situation was before this pandemic hit and how government were of little help and in many cases, an actual hindrance.

Perhaps this is the sea change that's needed regarding government attitude to front line healthcare staff and their needs.

I won't hold my breath though.

Well they have a chance now to make the necessary changes to the health service to make it world class but I guess once this is over HSE will revert back to norm and the returning Nurses/Doctors etc will be booking their flights out of here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just heard an interview on LBC with the head of Germany's television media (forget the name but similar to head of RTE/BBC etc..). Some key points I caught;

Germany has 28,000 critical care beds, to be increased to 40,000 imminently. This may not be enough, so Government plans to double the current capacity (assume that means increasing to 56,000 beds).

Germany has a couple of large manufacturers whose core business is the production of ventiltors. They're running at full production and the main impact on this is the supply of component parts needed. Apparently a number of support organisations are working to support this by production of component parts via '3D Printing' technology.

All political parties have combined and are operating effectively as 'one party' in collaboration to tackle the crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This makes me hopeful as a cancer patient. BBC newsreader George Alagiah is 64 and has lived with stage 4 bowel cancer for nearly 6 years. He’s in active treatment and has COVID-19 and he seems to be well on the way to recovery from it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52111754/bbc-s-george-alagiah-on-living-with-coronavirus-and-cancer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

is_that_so wrote: »
    From HSE, current advice
    and it's contradictory bollocks and best ignored. It is entirely to do with a lack of supply, not the efficacy of masks among the wider community. End of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »
    and it's contradictory bollocks and best ignored. It is entirely to do with a lack of supply, not the efficacy of masks among the wider community. End of.
    Well, that's put them straight!

Most anyone I know with a scientific background knows that. Aside from a few who are very by-the-book types who believe the last thing they read. :pac:

Most anyone I know with a scientific background knows that. Aside from a few who are very by-the-book types who believe the last thing they read. :pac:
    It comes from Martin Cormican, Colm Henry has repeated it frequently. I guess they know nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I agree, Its never made sense to me. Either they are useful or theyre not. No point saying only people with certain illnesses etc need them but the general public dont. If they work for someone who is sick then that means they work which in turn means they will work for everyone. Sick or not.

Nonsense like this makes me distrust a lot of what they tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

New Home wrote: »
    The spray does not have the same ingredients as the sterilising fluid. As for the antiviral properties of the spray, it depends on what the ingredients are and on how they act on the pathogen. Soapy water (in this case) kills off the virus because it breaks down the fatty "shell" around it - soap is a degreaser. I'm not sure how the spray operates, but if it did kill viruses it would say so on the label. It may not have de-greasing properties.

It's not safe to assume anything, especially with something this dangerous.

Dettol spray literally states that it kills "human coronaviruses". As well as H1N1, so that's prbably a good one to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

snowgal wrote: »
    ugghhhhhh, I really HATE the banks! the most selfish 'business' in the world. They are so greedy and genuinely anger me so much. I cant understand why there is not more uproar from people about them. They are doing nothing, nothing decent for people through this. And they should be to the fore in helping, after all we did to help them a decade ago. Any offers they give will only be more profit for them in the end. Greed!
    sorry rant over now!!!
    kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Agreed. Their day is over tho. People still have power. The last election demonstrated that. If people are made to suffer because of this there will be demonstrations like you have never seen in Ireland. There has been underlying resentment in Ireland that has been festering. Very few buttons left to push before we snap.

I was watching the UK government presser yesterday and the minister clearly stated - "we all rescued you in 2008 now you need to return the favour for small business esp". Have we heard a peep regarding our own fine institutions from the government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As do washing hands, not touching your face and social distancing.

So do both and wear a mask when necessary. It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Just heard an interview on LBC with the head of Germany's television media (forget the name but similar to head of RTE/BBC etc..). Some key points I caught;

Germany has 28,000 critical care beds, to be increased to 40,000 imminently. This may not be enough, so Government plans to double the current capacity (assume that means increasing to 56,000 beds).

Germany has a couple of large manufacturers whose core business is the production of ventiltors. They're running at full production and the main impact on this is the supply of component parts needed. Apparently a number of support organisations are working to support this by production of component parts via '3D Printing' technology.

All political parties have combined and are operating effectively as 'one party' in collaboration to tackle the crisis.

There is an example of a mature country that comes together, but also has a spare capacity in its factories. Losing Industry elsewhere in Europe is a big issue.

• Advertisement

People would quickly get over their self-consciousness about wearing a mask if everyone is wearing one. If it meant restrictions could be relaxed, I think everyone would get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It comes from Martin Cormican, Colm Henry has repeated it frequently. I guess they know nothing.

If masks are only useful for those who are sick .

What about the 20% who don't show any symptoms would it not stop them spreading the virus if everybody wore one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ludwig Wittgenstein

Desperate talk on Newstalk today re: the COVID Pandemic Payment. Pure nastiness and self-righteousness coming from texters and presenters alike. The demonising of part time and lower income workers is particularly hard to stomach, especially when one of the prime considerations of the payment was to actually disincentive non-essential work for a limited time period.

It would be great if people could for once put their petty self interest aside, and accept that a temporary enhanced, non-means tested payment is a reasonable response to keep individuals, families and the economy ticking over. It's far from perfect but it was never going to be. Imperfect action > a catastrophe in pursuit of perfection.

I was watching the UK government presser yesterday and the minister clearly stated - "we all rescued you in 2008 now you need to return the favour for small business esp". Have we heard a peep regarding our own fine institutions from the government?

Well we own the banks, most of them, so anything that we do to reduce profits or gain losses is on the taxpayer. I suppose that is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

17% Unemployment rate

construction and everything connected with it since Friday not included in that number

Restrictions will have to be lifted at the start of May at the absolute latest.

The current situation is completely unsustainable and ultimately pointless.

People are going to have to put on their big-boy and big-girl pants and learn how to live with the virus, because we're not going to have a society to save after a couple of months of this.

The Govt. need to start preparing the social-media hysteria merchants for a staggered relaxation of restrictions and a return to some form of normality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Another 569 dead in the UK - only hospital deaths.

• Advertisement

Well, that's put them straight!

He's right. Of course masks work, which is why they are trying to keep them for frontline workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

From HSE, current advice

Sorry but people are asking the wrong question of people who are opposed to wearing masks so maybe I will try:

What harm does someone else wearing a mask do to you ?

Thing is, I wear a mask and I cannot go to the supermarket without some Charlie feeling it is his job to tell me that they don't work! because that is how he has interpreted the HSE "advice".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

China, Belgium, Czeck Republic, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and now, shortly the USA are all wrong.

BBC, right now, doing a story on how coughs now apparently spray virus droplets more than 2 meters and masks are being reconsidered.

UK Figures
    4,244 new positive tests
    569 new deaths in hospitals (excludes care home deaths and deaths at home)

Tweet

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1245697879311814656

Another (sad) tool - autopsies. They might be able to elucidate treatment options by seeing what infections ran rampant in the affected individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Banks returning the favour after we bailed them out?? Unlikely.

Just on this - you say we bailed the banks out - if we didn't anyone with savings could have lost them, or a % of them like in other counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ludwig Wittgenstein

People are going to have to put on their big-boy and big-girl pants and learn how to live with the virus, because we're not going to have a society to save after a couple of months of this.

The Govt. need to start preparing the social-media hysteria merchants for a staggered relaxation of restrictions and a return to some form of normality.

Why not borrow to tide us over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

People may not have seen this; from Prof Walter Ricciardi from a Telegraph article on Italian Covid deaths.

"“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gozunda wrote: »
    So do both and wear a mask when necessary. It's not rocket science.
    I linked to a BBC piece earlier and one thing it mentions is increased moral vigilance and how more judgemental we can become in what we perceive as breaches. As regards these threads it is just another thing in a long, long list of things to blame. If the advice is to wear a mask I'll wear one. I will add that any masks I've seen are worn by a very small minority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

MipMap wrote: »
    Sorry but people are asking the wrong question of people who are opposed to wearing masks so maybe I will try:

Thing is, I wear a mask and I cannot go to the supermarket without some Charlie feeling it is his job to tell me that they don't work! because that is how he has interpreted the HSE "advice".

You can wear a mask if you want, however i feel the issues are that people are wearing masks for the sake, and then doing other stupid things. In addition those who really need the masks now have to spend more money on them - A saw a chemist recently selling individual masks for €4 - crazy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Milton is the job for this type of thing. Especially their sprays and no danger from them like bleach.

I don't see leaving stuff for 72 hours as practical, we are getting a delivery every 5 to 7 days, we are very low on everything once it arrives and need a lot of the stuff straight away.

Milton is basically watered down bleach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dettol spray literally states that it kills "human coronaviruses". As well as H1N1, so that's prbably a good one to use.

I'm sure you're right about the spray bottles (the plastic ones) - I don't have one here to check, but although the Dettol All in One Disinfectant Spray (the one in the metal canisters) says it's antiviral, too, coronavirus is not on the list on the label. Bottom line, better read the labels before buying anything, just to make sure that it's fit for purpose. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From HSE, current advice

And again we have no idea who is sick and who is not. Not wearing a mask atm is no better than playing Russian roulette with your own and other peoples health.

Looks like that advisory which was taken on spec from the WHO is now under reevaluation by many countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I can`t find it now but as far as I remember a few weeks ago one cabinet minister (might have been Donohoe) made a comment that it was time for the banks to step up to the plate and help the Irish people in this crisis.

• Advertisement

People may not have seen this; from Prof Walter Ricciardi from a Telegraph article on Italian Covid deaths.

"“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

Right... but that co-morbidity could have been something that wouldn’t have killed the person for years yet or at all. Yes, lots of people dying had underlying conditions but that doesn’t mean that their death was imminent. COVID-19 is likely hastening some of the deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not pointless. It's saving lives.

The economy can eventually recover. The dead won't recover.

Why not borrow to tide us over?

I'm pretty sure we'll be borrowing for years. the only questions are who from, how much and for how long.

€200bn of debt and rising - out great-grandkids will be paying it off for us

There have been 50 deaths in Scotland in the last 24 hours. That's a large jump.

MipMap wrote: »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

China, Belgium, Czeck Republic, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and now, shortly the USA are all wrong.

BBC, right now, doing a story on how coughs now apparently spray virus droplets more than 2 meters and masks are being reconsidered.

I am not remotely opposed to masks but I do object to attempts to browbeat others to do so. IMO it's still a personal choice or their use corresponds to the advice that exists. If that advice changes we'll all be wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BanditLuke wrote: »

Not entirely correct.

Germany is a federal state. While the overall legislative power is in the hands of the state, quite a few sectors of administration and executive powers are in the hands of the seperate states or "Bundeslaender". Education and policing for example look quite different in Nodrhein-Westfalen and Bayern ..and so do the measures against the Corona-Virus. Some Laender closed the schools earlier than others. Bavaria was the first to go into "lockdown" ...and so on.

Eventually they all sort of agree to the same measures, but the above quote suggests some form of "unity government"..that simply isn't the case.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not pointless. It's saving lives.

The economy can eventually recover. The dead won't recover.

And how many will die while it does?

And how many will die while it does?

What do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

+569 deaths in the UK today.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Looks like that advisory which was taken on spec from the WHO is now under reevaluation by many countries.
    And then it may change, if does we'll deal with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement