Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Stay at home for now. It was always going to be relaxed at some point. Like it or not we can't keep people and the economy locked up indefinitely

Nobody is saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

UK had 569 deaths today?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nope. Not getting drawn into that one. You've contributed absolutely nothing yourself other than "blah blah the economy", yet you're expecting anyone criticising your nonsense to have all the answers.

The economy is a human construct, therefore it can be modified by humans. Your idea of restarting the economy and letting the virus run wild is naive at best and sociopathic at worst.

Watch out for ideologues.

507967.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

20% of the labour force are now claiming jobless benefits or wage subsidies and we are at the very early stages of economic impact. We may be looking at over 30% in the next few weeks.

That is frightening.

At the height of the last recession the unemployment rate was 18%.

How we will run a health, education or SW system with a third of the Country out of work, is a question that the bedroom-dwelling, lockdown-merchants can't answer.

Honestly you need to start coming up with ideas of your own. All I am seeing is "lift the lockdown".

Replace it with what?

We can lift it, but what about the economic cost of millions of people being sick at once, tens of thousands dying, ICUs being overwhelmed, people being left to die with easily treatable illnesses such as heart attacks or in car crashes, and so on.

What's your alternative? In detail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Back of a fag box calc;

513000 claiming Covid 19 Benefits
    2471700 in Labour Force

Currently around 21% at a conservative guess. Can probably add more dole regulars to that.

At any one time there is probably 4% unemployed, so there has been maybe 17% rise. Still large % are working.

Main unemployment would be:

Construction and related trades
    Pub staff and related suppliers
    Tourism

Tourism is obv a bigger issue as it brings money into the economy from abroad.

With multinational firms being office based you’d assume 90% of their workers are working from home, so unlike the last crash I think that economy will pick up quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob24 wrote: »
    Apparently, the US are now pretty much hijacking masks and PPE bound to other countries on Chinese roads and even on the tarmac of Chinese airports by offering double price in cash to reroute the containers.

Confirmed by a French politician here that masks being loaded on a plane to France were snapped in that way yesterday and that it isn't the first time: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/grosse-commande-masques-aurait-du-arriver-france-elle-ira-finalement-aux-etats-unis-annonce-renaud-muselier-1810096.html

Summary in English: https://www.rt.com/news/484723-us-france-face-masks/

For people who were questioning French and Russian sources, now also reported in UK media: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/french-officials-describe-assault-course-nations-obtain-protective/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

walshb wrote: »
    UK had 569 deaths today?:eek:

They are actually doing better than i expected at this stage. Hopefully the numbers don't rise any higher than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Nope. Not getting drawn into that one. You've contributed absolutely nothing yourself other than "blah blah the economy", yet you're expecting anyone criticising your nonsense to have all the answers.

The economy is a human construct, therefore it can be modified by humans. Your idea of restarting the economy and letting the virus run wild is naive at best and sociopathic at worst.

You're the one bleating on about how it needs to be changed and I presume you're a human, so why don't you give one suggestion? - just one.

Even a small one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

20% of the labour force are now claiming jobless benefits or wage subsidies and we are at the very early stages of economic impact. We may be looking at over 30% in the next few weeks.

That is frightening.

At the height of the last recession the unemployment rate was 18%.

How we will run a health, education or SW system with a third of the Country out of work, is a question that the bedroom-dwelling, lockdown-merchants can't answer.

I don't know who you are blaming or what solution you are putting forward.

Seriously what ifs!!! We are in a world of what ifs now like it or not. In a few week people are going to be screaming for the rules to he relaxed. What if the virus mutated to something last dangerous

No people won’t be and the simple reason is that Irish people are educated enough and will see the UK for instance 600+ deaths a day - and be like yes it’s **** in Ireland but could be a hell of a lot worse so let’s just continue the way we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

threeball wrote: »
    And what then? Stay like a hermit on the edge of Europe, terrified of any one getting onto the island. Do you really think that we can just wait this out until it goes away?

You have to be a hermit at some level.

Either the world had to be a hermit in relation to China at the beginning of January

Or Europe could have been a hermit in relation to everywhere else

Or Ireland could have been a hermit by itself

As it stands the level of hermit-dom is down to the level of individual households, or in the case of someone living in a household with someone awaiting the result of a test, hermits reduced to individual rooms isolated from one another.

The only way to stop the spread is to stop people with the disease interacting with people who don't have the disease. No more, no less.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    They are actually doing better than i expected at this stage. Hopefully the numbers don't rise any higher than that.

The numbers are only those who die in a hospital setting - don’t want to even imagine the real numbers - and given they have adopted this approach I’m guessing the true numbers are a lot higher

Do you not accept that a bajaxed economy has a human cost?

dinosaurs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You're the one bleating on about how it needs to be changed and I presume you're a human, so why don't you give one suggestion? - just one.

Even a small one

I'm the one bleating? You come on here day after day and repeat the same vague nonsense about how keeping the economy shut down will be worse than the virus (without anything tangible to back it up of course).

Why don't you come up for a feasible way we can restart the economy instead of constantly parroting that we need to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

unemployment going to 20% in USA

'' never seen before, 20% omg, I never thought I’d see such a print in my lifetime'''

I don't get it, 20% ? I thought it would be at 90% . so 80% of people still working in USA or getting paid.

5c0f332c853d8657e50064f4a3bbf71d.jpg

Personally I'd have no problem with re-opening the economy but it would demand radical solutions and answers. Do you think Leo Varadkar is the man for radical solutions? Of course not.

This government had 10 years almost to sort out much more straightforward problems like housing, insurance costs and hospital trolleys. And they did nothing.

Anytime someone proposed a radical solution to something or even a solution, they ignored them, deliberately a lot of the time. They allowed numerous businesses shutdown because of insurance costs for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ongarite wrote: »
    We are on track for a minimum deficit of 16 billion if this goes on for another 2 months.
    30 billion if this lock-down goes on until September.

That's over 4 times bigger than the banking bailout which had this country on its knees for 10 years.

We will have to get the service industry back up and running within 2 months or the whole population is screwed, not just the vulnerable to this pandemic.

Well as already pointed out your numbers are way off.

A €7bn baliout as you have calculated would not have been a major problem.

The difference between this and the banking crisis is that then it was a systemic problem with banking, loans and liquidity. Money was actually owed to people and they were going to call that debt in. There were gainers and losers that impacted the whole economy.

This is different, all countries, economies, financial insitutions and systems are impacted by this.
    There's no rescue of systems or certian parties. No people applying pressure for gain.

That's why I believe that once things get back to normal that the economy willj just pick up and rebuild.
    Ireland not at the behest of other nations or financial insititions like in 2008-12 .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

is_that_so wrote: »
    It comes from Martin Cormican, Colm Henry has repeated it frequently. I guess they know nothing.
    They know that until the planes from China came with 200 million euros worth of PPE and other medical equipment they didn't have enough for the health service. That they know and that's why they came out with this stance. Hell they're even restricting them for their own workers as if they weren't in enough danger. Read this. Unbloodyreal. :mad: The CDC in the US is more clear about it, saying that they need the masks for medical workers. Not that the masks are ineffectual.

It's funny that in nations where the masks are easily got damn near everyone is wearing them. Taiwan gave them to every single household in the country and made it illegal to not wear one in public.

BTW if any authority gives you two contradictory statements, that means one of those statements is wrong. Never mind that many authorities have had many headless chicken moments when dealing with this new threat. The WHO among them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/reagent-suppliers-ramping-up-production-as-demand-soars-1000-says-virus-lab-director-991749.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The number of cluster cases of the coronavirus in nursing homes has risen to 29.
    There are now 3,447 confirmed cases of the infection here and 85 people have died.
    A quarter of the confirmed cases involve health care workers.
    Only 1,500 people are being tested per day which is far short of the 15,000 anticipated.
    Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, Dr Cillian De Gascun, said they are working on getting more of the reagent needed for the Covid-19 tests.
    He said: "We know from our suppliers that their demand has increased globally in the region of 1,000%.
    "So they are ramping up production, but unfortunately as with all things, there is a lead-in time for that."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Can we ban people from cycling and going out jogging altogether? The 2km rule has only made Rathmines more busy as people who would have gone to UCD are exercising locally. The paths here are narrow physical distancing is not being adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No people won’t be and the simple reason is that Irish people are educated enough and will see the UK for instance 600+ deaths a day - and be like yes it’s **** in Ireland but could be a hell of a lot worse so let’s just continue the way we are

I agree watching the UK and US is going to scare people into line. But come May the weather gets better people will have been "locked up" for 2 months curve should be flattened. A large proportion of the country is going to want thing relaxed. I dont see packed pubs and concerts, they are gone for the year. Its about finding the parts of the economy /workforce that can be let back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I agree watching the UK and US is going to scare people into line. But come May the weather gets better people will have been "locked up" for 2 months curve should be flattened. A large proportion of the country is going to want thing relaxed. I dont see packed pubs and concerts, they are gone for the year. Its about finding the parts of the economy /workforce that can be let back.

The real issue is that once the restrictions are lifted you'll see a second wave.

callaway92 wrote: »
    What???

You thought unemployment would go to 90 fúcking percent

The rise in unemployment as with 2008 is slow and cumulative.

Many companies, the one I work for included, have cash in the bank and can keep us open for another 3 months but with wage cuts. There would be a lot of companies like that.

But once that 3 months is up, you will see another significant rise in unemployment. So after 3 months of a lockdown you could see between 30-40% unemployed.

The time for us to beat coronavirus and avoid the current lockdown was late February/early March. Then was the time to put in a plan to stop flights from hotspots, quarantine travellers for 2 weeks on their return and so on. Once we missed those early chances we were always fighting a losing battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

More than one person has died in Europe from COVID every minute of every day for the last two weeks

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    They know that until the planes from China came with 200 million euros worth of PPE and other medical equipment they didn't have enough for the health service. That they know and that's why they came out with this stance. Hell they're even restricting them for their own workers as if they weren't in enough danger. Read this. Unbloodyreal. :mad: The CDC in the US is more clear about it, saying that they need the masks for medical workers. Not that the masks are ineffectual.

It's funny that in nations where the masks are easily got damn near everyone is wearing them. Taiwan gave them to every single household in the country and made it illegal to not wear one in public.

BTW if any authority gives you two contradictory statements, that means one of those statements is wrong. Never mind that many authorities have had many headless chicken moments when dealing with this new threat. The WHO among them.

I mean, how could a mask that filters out 99% of particles in air provide protection against something that can be passed on through coughing, sneezing, or breathing on someone? :rolleyes:

Sometimes I have to wonder.

Asian countries took this seriously from get-go because they took SARS seriously. Many people here didn't take SARS seriously because we have a lot of people, who apparently think that if something is in Asia it can't affect us. :eek:

Can we ban people from cycling and going out jogging altogether? The 2km rule has only made Rathmines more busy as people who would have gone to UCD are exercising locally. The paths here are narrow physical distancing is not being adhered to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-update-lockdown-jogging-advice-health-a9413906.html

What we have noticed is the amount of people on the estate now coming up our street and some of them look as if they are just looking for an opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Milton is basically watered down bleach.

Paradise Lost is great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The real issue is that once the restrictions are lifted you'll see a second wave.

True. But we should be planning for it. Health service build up for it. I know that's not an easy ask, especially while they are flat out dealing with everything now.
    I'm In food retail, I'm seeing what we have to do to keep things in line. ( its bloody stressful) but we have changed how we work and sell, it can be done. And we had to learn very fast.
    Every busines will/should be looking at how it's been done and getting themselves geared for returning to work ( when ever that might be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

6 wrote: »
    Health workers can't even get masks ffs. They should be totally prioritised.

There's regular people driving around wearing them. Seen it a handful of times already and I haven't been out much :rolleyes:

Health care workers are getting masks. An Irish company is supplying the HSE and they are being imported.

But again just to state the obvious- theres a huge number of existing masks which cannot be used by medical personel because of chain of custody issues, non medically sterile etc

Those who do have masks should use them when necessary ie out shopping. Home made masks can also used to reduce the risk of infection

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I mean, how could a mask that filters out 99% of particles in air provide protection against something that can be passed on through coughing, sneezing, or breathing on someone? :rolleyes:

Asian countries took this seriously from get-go because they took SARS seriously. Many people here didn't take SARS seriously because we have a lot of people, who apparently think that if something is in Asia it can't affect us. :eek:

WHO has a history of suggesting global pandemics and nothing happening. Assume people thought this was another wolf crying episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The rise in unemployment as with 2008 is slow and cumulative.

Many companies, the one I work for included, have cash in the bank and can keep us open for another 3 months but with wage cuts. There would be a lot of companies like that.

But once that 3 months is up, you will see another significant rise in unemployment. So after 3 months of a lockdown you could see between 30-40% unemployed.

The time for us to beat coronavirus and avoid the current lockdown was late February/early March. Then was the time to put in a plan to stop flights from hotspots, quarantine travellers for 2 weeks on their return and so on. Once we missed those early chances we were always fighting a losing battle.

The 'unemployment' numbers are extremely misleading.

Many companies and businesses are forbidden by law from opening up or doing business, meaning those unemployed at the moment are nothing like those who would normally be unemployed as a result of having been permanently let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

11 days waiting on results. Still have symptoms. HC worker.. getting annoyed now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

we eat pigs by the rasherload. they are considered smarter than both dogs and cats.

think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

wakka12 wrote: »
    More than one person has died in Europe from COVID every minute of every day for the last two weeks

How does your stat sit alongside 'normal business', if that is even available?

There doesn't seem be much in the way of distinction in any country between OF covid and WITH covid. If you are in God's waiting room anyway, you are likely in an institution that is riddled with the bastard, one that operates as a straw on a camel back.

1 month is a long time and all it takes is one virus to cross species barrier.

11 days waiting on results. Still have symptoms. HC worker.. getting annoyed now

if your not very sick i.e. need of a hospital, testing positive won't change the treatment - self isolate and keep in contact with a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

petes wrote: »
    Multiple times now you've been asked what your suggestions are and multiple times you've ignored the question.

Either answer it if you are so knowledgeable or stop posting drivel.

I have in my bollox.

I've already posted numerous times that restrictions will need to be relaxed, the vulnerable groups will need to continue to isolate and the rest of us will have to take sensible precautions while getting back to some form of normality.

It's not my fault that you're hard of reading and it's hardly rocket-science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Wibbs wrote: »

HSE covering their arses from litigation, nothing new there. Wank3rs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 2nd 2020

11 beds short today in Irish Hospitals.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

3,152 admitted patients without hospital beds in March 2020.
    Among the 3,152 patients were 72 children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    HSE covering their arses from litigation, nothing new there. Wank3rs.
    And here we are in Week 3!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

One person dead for every minute of a calendar year would be 525,600 people.

The annual death total from flu is around 650,000 people per year.

Why dies intelligence of the animal matter?

Why does it make it right that we eat pigs/cows etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was one of them !.
    SARS in Asia.Ebola in Africa none of them affected us so we ( the public) can be forgiven for not reacting straight away.
    Once it reached Europe the government and CMO should have been all over this. Restrictions to and from hot spots, preparing for this. Though hindsight is 20/20 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

In 2016, 5.1 million Europeans perished overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

froog wrote: »
    we eat pigs by the rasherload. they are considered smarter than both dogs and cats.

think about that.

I suppose PETA don't go after the blatantly low-hanging fruit in these lands in the same way supposed feminists don't try to hold marches in Saudi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1245580193952980993

Think about that for a moment

Poor lads, that's a bit ruff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why does it make it right that we eat pigs/cows etc?

They're delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement