Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Yes, I agree, the eating of live animals is disgraceful, all live animals, pigs, cows, cats, dogs.

All major pandemics in history have been animal to human. A plant based diet is the only safe alternative to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Why dies intelligence of the animal matter?

just pointing out the hypocrisy some people have with the Chinese eating dogs and cats. it's morally no different to eating pigs, which we love in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The numbers are only those who die in a hospital setting - don’t want to even imagine the real numbers - and given they have adopted this approach I’m guessing the true numbers are a lot higher

Up to 20th March they were under reported by 24%.

With new guidelines in place regarding over 75s and resuscitation in nursing homes there is every reason to believe it could even be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

Why does it make it right that we eat pigs/cows etc?

It doesn't, it's just an excuse to use xenophobic type language because Westerners perceive themselves as 'civilised'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »
    They know that until the planes from China came with 200 million euros worth of PPE and other medical equipment they didn't have enough for the health service. That they know and that's why they came out with this stance. Hell they're even restricting them for their own workers as if they weren't in enough danger. Read this. Unbloodyreal. :mad: The CDC in the US is more clear about it, saying that they need the masks for medical workers. Not that the masks are ineffectual.

It's funny that in nations where the masks are easily got damn near everyone is wearing them. Taiwan gave them to every single household in the country and made it illegal to not wear one in public.

BTW if any authority gives you two contradictory statements, that means one of those statements is wrong. Never mind that many authorities have had many headless chicken moments when dealing with this new threat. The WHO among them.
    Definitely Week 3 strain at work here! I really don't get this ire towards whether people wear masks or not. It is a choice we all make. Some choose to, many do not. All we can do is be safe ourselves. If they are nowhere near us then leave them be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Can we ban people from cycling and going out jogging altogether? The 2km rule has only made Rathmines more busy as people who would have gone to UCD are exercising locally. The paths here are narrow physical distancing is not being adhered to.
    It is actually illegal to cycle on a pavement in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

wakka12 wrote: »
    More than one person has died in Europe from COVID every minute of every day for the last two weeks

No, one person who was diagnosed with covid died every minute of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Yes, I agree, the eating of live animals is disgraceful, all live animals, pigs, cows, cats, dogs.

All major pandemics in history have been animal to human. A plant based diet is the only safe alternative to follow.

The vegan forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>
    Cheerio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Why wait till May the 1st.
    Are they afraid people will starve or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

growleaves wrote: »
    One person dead for every minute of a calendar year would be 525,600 people.

The annual death total from flu is around 650,000 people per year.

How many more would be die from covid without restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Good question. I don't know but hope there's some attempt to estimate it after this is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

topper75 wrote: »
    I suppose PETA don't go after the blatantly low-hanging fruit in these lands in the same way supposed feminists don't try to hold marches in Saudi.

There were recent protests by women in Saudi Arabia against restrictions on driving, in fairness.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    It's less about the deaths, some would unfortunately die, as the overall effect on a health system and the wider economy, with people being out for 14 days plus.

The human meat market has taken a terrible knock since this thing hit. Where's the government bailout for cannibal suppliers?

The real issue is that once the restrictions are lifted you'll see a second wave.

But as long as that wave is within ICU capacity, then is okay. It is ICU capacity that is the driver for restrictions.....not an attempt to halt the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 2 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs.

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-02.png?itok=QsbtUJZt

Probable flattening of the infection curve for daily cases in Europe over the last 7 days.

But no definite peak of infections to be seen yet.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Our meat animals are mostly documented, vaccinated etc. There are strict rules on feeding especially pigs as they can get swine fever etc from contaminated food. Then there is the slaughtering which again is under strict regulations. Our meat animals pass through marts but they are not placed in markets with living wild animals and meat from other species that could contaminate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

bekker wrote: »
    It is actually illegal to cycle on a pavement in this country.

Not true here. May be true in UK or parts.

'Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without 'reasonable consideration'

Very difficult to answer, that’s a prediction the health officials make using computer models.

Those models, historically, have a degree of inaccuracy however, as you will see from the link below.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In the bad years with little food directly after the second world war, cats in Germany got the colloquial name of "Dachhasen" or roof rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The real issue is that once the restrictions are lifted you'll see a second wave.

Maybe. We can use this time to figure out ways to mitigate a second surge. It may mean measures like everyone having to wear a mask in public. If it meant more freedom, I think people would comply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's got to do with you looking and posting about what happens in one country, but failing to look at the bigger picture in said country. Common sense is not something people have much of. You want to reduce rate of infecting others - don't go out - it's simple just stay inside.

Bollix it is. I made no mention of any 'country'. Your comments seem to be largely made up of spurious incidents populated by morons. Thankfully none of which negate the need for use of all means necessary to reduce the rate of infection.

News for ye - people still need to fo out to get supplies/ shopping. Unless you want them to starve?

If we can reduce the rate of infection further by using masks whilst having to go out - then that should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

But all the flu cases do not rock up to A&E over a 2 or 3 week period, overwhelming the health system.

That is the nub of the Covid-19 problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

spookwoman wrote: »
    Our meat animals are mostly documented, vaccinated etc. There are strict rules on feeding especially pigs as they can get swine fever etc from contaminated food. Then there is the slaughtering which again is under strict regulations. Our meat animals pass through marts but they are not placed in markets with living wild animals and meat from other species that could contaminate them.

god we're great.

pigs-in-shed-.jpg

Well, they are herbivores and I am far too lazy to look this up but I recall reading before about why it’s better for humans to eat meat from herbivores than carnivores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

gozunda wrote: »
    News for ye - people still need to fo out to get supplies/ shopping. Unless you want them to starve?

News for you - there is a thing called online shopping - if the infrastructure set up - there wold be no need to go out for what you describe as supplies/shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

For our vegan people there are diseases you can get from eating plants eg Listeriosis.
    Listeriosis can cause severe illness, including severe sepsis, meningitis, or encephalitis, sometimes resulting in lifelong harm and even death. Those at risk of severe illness are the elderly, fetuses, newborns and those who are immunocompromised. In pregnant women it may cause stillbirth or spontaneous abortion, and preterm birth is common. Listeriosis may cause mild, self-limiting gastroenteritis and fever in anyone.

runfromtomato.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A new report from Imperial College London suggest in the 11 European countries they've studied perhaps 59,000 deaths have been averted as of 31st March.

They also go on to suggest that the death rate may be much lower than initially thought, as they believe the infection rate is much higher than is currently believed.

It is as another poster pointed out just a projection and should be taken with a pinch of salt; but has some serious data points in there.

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk:8443/bitstream/10044/1/77731/2/Imperial%20College%20COVID19%20Europe%20estimates%20and%20NPI%20impact%2030-03-2020.pdf

Bollix.

You know that wild animals **** on vegetation and food crops all the time yeah?

You dont have to eat meat to come down with something nasty.

Unless you are suggesting we should wipe all animals off the planet like some extremists wish to do

Pretty sick of the usual few using this pandemic to peddle vegan crap tbh.

Edit: spookwoman you bet me to it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have you got something you'd like to tell us all Ethereal?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I watched a woman I follow on Instagram wash all her delivered groceries with water and bleach.

Is that not ever so slightly OTT or should we now be doing this also?

I’ve been wiping mine with water mixed with a small amount of dettol for a few days now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Scientists think deaths would be at least ten times higher in every country i.e. 200,000 instead of 20,000 etc.

From RTE Feed.
    Plans are being drawn up to move cancer services out of public hospitals in Cork to protect patients and staff as the number of Covid-19 cases grow.

Several private hospitals are being looked at as possible locations for cancer surgery, while it is understood that UCC has offered its Brookfield complex for outpatient treatments, such as oral chemotherapy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A normal flu hits about 20-25% of the world population in any give year.

Covid 19 has so far hit about 0.12% of the world population. If it hit the same number of people as flu, you'd be talking a far high number of deaths, ie in the tens of millions.

For our vegan people there are diseases you can get from eating plants eg Listeriosis.
    Listeriosis can cause severe illness, including severe sepsis, meningitis, or encephalitis, sometimes resulting in lifelong harm and even death. Those at risk of severe illness are the elderly, fetuses, newborns and those who are immunocompromised. In pregnant women it may cause stillbirth or spontaneous abortion, and preterm birth is common. Listeriosis may cause mild, self-limiting gastroenteritis and fever in anyone.

runfromtomato.jpg

More common for cattle etc and for humans to
    be infected from meat, poultry, seafood etc and I like a good steak

• Advertisement

News for you - there is a thing called online shopping - if the infrastructure set up - there wold be no need to go out for what you describe as supplies/shopping

You're back to the 'ifs and ands' ....

Simple suggestion for the present - wear a godam facemask when you go shopping ...

Josepha Madigan just admonished the Dail for insisting on sitting. Then went on to mention how she would be announcing responses to Covid-19 from her department. A certain amount of politicking going on. You could say it's also not essential for Taoiseach and Minister of Health to visit Citywest with a camera crew following them. Or, again, that daily in-person press conferences with the HSE aren't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    HSE covering their arses from litigation, nothing new there. Wank3rs.

Shockin language for a priest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Covid 19 has so far hit about 0.12% of the world population. If it hit the same number of people as flu, you'd be talking a far high number of deaths, ie in the tens of millions.

Where is that 0.12% figure from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not true here. May be true in UK or parts.

'Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without 'reasonable consideration'

I was under the opinion that it was illegal but unenforceable as you'd have to fine all the little 5 years cycling on the footpath going to school ...... you'd have to be some bo!@ox to do that.

Sure if they are on the roads, they'd should be paying road tax........ isn't that right.......a tax that actually doesn't exist.

Id rather see kids or others non confident cyclists on the footpath rather than on the road......cos cycling on the roads is a complete sh1t show even for the most experienced of cyclists like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A perspective from the 6 counties. A DUP councillor.

EUly4JaU4AACZcf?format=jpg&name=small

Anyone?

is_that_so wrote: »
    From RTE Feed.

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

Well, they are herbivores and I am far too lazy to look this up but I recall reading before about why it’s better for humans to eat meat from herbivores than carnivores.

Correct. They're full of parasites, require more land, and bio-accumulate things like mercury.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    Scientists think deaths would be at least ten times higher in every country i.e. 200,000 instead of 20,000 etc.

Cite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

So if we did all that with cats and dogs it would be ok to eat them?

Strazdas wrote: »

Have you links for this?
    Another poster posted a recent study where so far across 11 countries 59k have been saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Where is that 0.12% figure from?

Actually make that 0.02%. 1 million cases out of a world population of 7 billion.

Although realistically there's probably about 7 million cases of covid 19. So 0.1% of the world population.

A normal flu hits about 20-25% of the world population in any give year.

Rubbish.

The actual figure of covid positive cases is exponentially higher due to people having it and not having symptoms.

Some posters contradict themselves a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

Josepha Madigan just admonished the Dail for insisting on sitting. Then went on to mention how she would be announcing responses to Covid-19 from her department. A certain amount of politicking going on. You could say it's also not essential for Taoiseach and Minister of Health to visit Citywest with a camera crew following them. Or, again, that daily in-person press conferences with the HSE aren't necessary.

Ah, that pillar of virtue Josepha, advisor to Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

A perspective from the 6 counties. A DUP councillor.

EUly4JaU4AACZcf?format=jpg&name=small

Anyone?

At last, a voice of reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Actually make that 0.02%. 1 million cases out of a world population of 7 billion.

Although realistically its probably about 7 million cases of covid 19. So 0.1% of the world population.

The new Imperial College London report speculates somewhere between 1.88% and 11.43% are already infected in the 11 European countries it has studied. I guess we won't know until we actually do the tests.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement