Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

ITman88 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

The actual figure of covid positive cases is exponentially higher due to people having it and not having symptoms.

Some posters contradict themselves a bit

Fair point. 1 million confirmed cases. But likely at least 7 million cases in total.

Which makes for 0.01% of the world population.

The important point is covid 19 is far more fatal than flu. And if the same percentage of the worlds population was infected as normal flu, the death toll would be in the tens of millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

In Austria, from Monday coming, you will not be allowed out in public unless you are wearing a mask. Every country is making their own regulations, in their own time, so far. It is not unforeseeable that we will be told to wear some sort of nose and mouth cover when we are out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

is_that_so wrote: »
    From RTE Feed.

Our cancer patients where moved last week to our private hospital. This is already happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

But as long as that wave is within ICU capacity, then is okay. It is ICU capacity that is the driver for restrictions.....not an attempt to halt the virus

We all would be more educated in virus spread and our role if there is a 2nd wave.

Health systems would presumably better stocked and more effective in the fight next wave.

Some of the most vulnerable already dead so maybe less deaths because of this.

Masks more available for all?

Maybe 2nd wave wouldn't cause as much havoc as this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

A perspective from the 6 counties. A DUP councillor.

EUly4JaU4AACZcf?format=jpg&name=small

Anyone?

Middle Ages

Anyone?

Think he posts on the Christianity forums on here and most read like a conspiracy theory. In other words not really worth the bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

topper75 wrote: »
    How does your stat sit alongside 'normal business', if that is even available?

There doesn't seem be much in the way of distinction in any country between OF covid and WITH covid. If you are in God's waiting room anyway, you are likely in an institution that is riddled with the bastard, one that operates as a straw on a camel back.

We are all in God's waiting room.

Some more or less 'riddled' with 'underlying conditions'.

My mother died of a heart attack. She died with cancer. The cancer strained her heart to the point where it gave out.

Which 'killed' her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hrududu wrote: »
    So if we did all that with cats and dogs it would be ok to eat them?

Probably would, I know I wouldn't eat them same way I wouldn't eat pigs feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not true here. May be true in UK or parts.

'Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without 'reasonable consideration'
    In the context of the original post.

Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property.

Plus there is the obstruction element which is also and offence.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    The new Imperial College London report speculates somewhere between 1.88% and 11.43% are already infected in the 11 European countries it has studied. I guess we won't know until we actually do the tests.

I think the tests are quickly becoming pointless.

In fact I think the WHO advice was another mistake by them to go with the advice against travel bans and not isolating until you display symptoms. The WHO advice was aspirational like much of the advice coming from them such as advising against travel bans.

If you test test test, which we did in Ireland for a few weeks, you waste a hell of a lot of tests.

We should have been testing vital front line workers and those who display symptoms. Those who don't display symptoms are unlikely to go for a test anyways.

We wasted all our tests on the hypochondriacs and now we have no tests left to check front line workers. More WHO inspired madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

marno21 wrote: »
    Tony H is back at work

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1245640109711486977

Fantastic news. Great to see him recovered

Great to see him recovered but give him a few days off maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Was it clarified by a trusted source if ICU capacity is the same as ventilator capacity? And links where it is clarified?

My understanding was that ICU capacity does not equal ventilator capacity.

We increased our ICU beds, did we increase ventilators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Actually make that 0.02%. 1 million cases out of a world population of 7 billion.

Although realistically its probably about 7 million cases of covid 19. So 0.1% of the world population.

Ah but realistically its unknown. How many millions of asymptomatic cases are out there right now?

Any disease when it first appeared - encephalitis lethargica, Hong Kong Flu, Swine Flu - might have gone on to be deadlier than the Black Death before we knew enough about it to say it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hrududu wrote: »
    So if we did all that with cats and dogs it would be ok to eat them?

Wtf are you on about? Such meat is **** quality meat. From a feed conversion ratio it makes no sense to farm either of those species.

And for that reason meat from cats and dogs largely come from backstreet operations in poorer countries. Many of the animals are stolen to provide a supply. There is little or no regulation, trade is often illegal and has been banned on health and safety grounds in many countries as biologically predators as a rule do not consume other carnivores (there are some few exceptions)

So stop banging the vegan drum with the usual bull**** 'dog thou' crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Anyone?

Surely our Danny Healy Rae can bate that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In fact I think the WHO advice was another mistake by them to go with the advice against travel bans and not isolating until you display symptoms. The WHO advice was aspirational like much of the advice coming from them such as advising against travel bans.

If you test test test, which we did in Ireland for a few weeks, you waste a hell of a lot of tests.

We should have been testing vital front line workers and those who display symptoms. Those who don't display symptoms are unlikely to go for a test anyways.

We wasted all our tests on the hypochondriacs and now we have no tests left to check front line workers. More WHO inspired madness.

'We wasted all our tests following govt and hse guidelines.....'
    fyp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

bekker wrote: »

Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property.

Thanks for posting that, tired of getting abuse when I politely point it out, a cyclist clipped me today on a footpath while I was out for a walk, it was followed by a billow of smoke from a vaper that smelt like kids bubblegum. He wasn't a child and the roads are practically deserted.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    'We wasted all our tests following govt and hse guidelines.....'
    fyp.

The govt and hse have followed WHO guidelines from the start, guidelines like not restricting travel from hotspots. They are still by and large following those guidelines.

The test test test advice from the WHO has led to a worldwide shortage of materials for testing and processing meaning critical front line staff don't know if they are covid 19 positive or not as they can't get results.

But at least we know all the hypochondriacs are negative thanks to the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

WHO were making the simple point that it is very difficult to fight a fire if you do not know where it is.

Thus test, test, test... to find and isolate the Covid-19 cases and their contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

voluntary wrote: »
    Middle Ages

Hardly that enlightened. I believe he actually chipped that message out of a piece of slate with a flint axe. Stone age neanderthal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The govt and hse have followed WHO guidelines from the start, guidelines like not restricting travel from hotspots. They are still by and large following those guidelines.

The test test test advice from the WHO has led to a worldwide shortage of materials for testing meaning critical front line staff don't know if they are covid 19 positive or not.

But at least we know all the hypochondriacs are negative thanks to the WHO.

Apparently South Korea had a system whereby you could order and pay for the test yourself, but if you came back positive the government paid it for you. I think this is a good compromise.

To your part in bold; have you got some source? I've read chemical companies are queuing up to make this stuff.

Seamai wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that, tired of getting abuse when I politely point it out, a cyclist clipped me today on a footpath while I was out for a walk, it was followed by a billow of smoke from a vaper that smelt like kids bubblegum. He wasn't a child and the roads are practically deserted.
    Ah, but he was 'entitled' ^and emboldened^ by the previous incarnation of the present caretaker government. Law and order ??????

WHO were making the simple point that it is very difficult to fight a fire if you do not know where it is.

Thus test, test, test... to find and isolate the Covid-19 cases and their contacts.

Its possible our government misinterpreted what they meant and took it to heart.

We can't test everyone. We are struggling to test 1% of the population. We need to prioritise going forward. Front line medics first. Those in vulnerable categories next who report symptoms. Then maybe other essential workers.

Everyone else should assume they have it and stay at home for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

bekker wrote: »

Plus there is the obstruction element which is also and offence.

The full statement from Citizens advice is

'
    Since 2015 the laws governing cycling have been regulated into specific fixed charge offences. Gardaí have the power to stop and fine a cyclist if they commit a fixed charge offence. Cycling on a footpath is not a fixed charge offence. However other laws do include it as an offence.
    Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without ’reasonable consideration‘.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

Isn't testing a little useless anyway. By the time you get the result which could be negative what's not to say you havent picked it up in the meantime.

If you get the virus and are sick enough to go to hospital you will go or be sent anyway.

I would prefer to see an antibody test to see if that sore throat I had a few weeks ago was covid 19

spookwoman wrote: »

Sad. An awful lot of celebrities are dying from this all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was it clarified by a trusted source if ICU capacity is the same as ventilator capacity? And links where it is clarified?
    My understanding was that ICU capacity does not equal ventilator capacity.
    We increased our ICU beds, did we increase ventilators?

Correct, I've seen at least one report where they differentiated between ICU beds and beds with just a ventilator.
    Does that mean that,
    • all ICU beds have a ventilator but that not all beds with a ventilator are ICU beds or,
    • that not all ICU beds have a ventilator but all beds with a ventilator are ICU beds or
    • not all ICU beds have a ventilator and not all beds with a ventilator are ICU beds?
    Someone here posted a few thousand posts ago why an ICU nurse is needed to operate the ventilators for Covid-19 patients.
    The pressures required are quite high and the level of sedation then needs to be high.
    Which leads to all sorts of knock on effects which need to be managed by a properly trained nurse.

So in my head our Covid 19 ICU capacity is MIN {#Beds, #Ventilators, #ICU Nurses}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New York has just reported 8,470 new cases and 153 deaths so far today.

Cuomo just tweeted

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1245738389908918272

Sad. An awful lot of celebrities are dying from this all over the world.

Sad..... an awful lot of "people" are dying all over the world from this.

• Advertisement

moany fuc wrote: »
    Isn't testing a little useless anyway. By the time you get the result which could be negative what's not to say you havent picked it up in the meantime.

If you get the virus and are sick enough to go to hospital you will go or be sent anyway.

I would prefer to see an antibody test to see if that sore throat I had a few weeks ago was covid 19

Very good point. And yes the anti body test is probably just as important.

Those who can't get tested should at least have the option of the antibody test.

saabsaab wrote: »
    The full statement from Citizens advice is

'
    Since 2015 the laws governing cycling have been regulated into specific fixed charge offences. Gardaí have the power to stop and fine a cyclist if they commit a fixed charge offence. Cycling on a footpath is not a fixed charge offence. However other laws do include it as an offence.
    Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without ’reasonable consideration‘.
    Last post on this, it's barely on topic. The unbolded is the law, the bolded is an opinion.

Sad..... an awful lot of "people" are dying all over the world from this.

Every death from this is a tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

A normal flu hits about 20-25% of the world population in any give year.

Covid 19 has so far hit about 0.12% of the world population. If it hit the same number of people as flu, you'd be talking a far high number of deaths, ie in the tens of millions.

20% to 25% of the worlds population get the flu every year? 2 Billion people???

Exactly...... celebrity or not.

joe_99 wrote: »

Maybe that includes the common cold, which would make the number more believable

There are a number just coming onto the market, their % effectivity only time will tell.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/new-blood-tests-antibodies-could-show-true-scale-coronavirus-pandemic

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/bd-biomedomics-test-covid-19-exposure/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy reports 4668 new cases, 760 new deaths

New cases down slightly on yesterday but deaths up from 727.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The first day that the death toll got to double figures (a week ago maybe) we were told that was because of a nursing home cluster

Yes I thought the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Fair point. 1 million confirmed cases. But likely at least 7 million cases in total.

Which makes for 0.01% of the world population.

The important point is covid 19 is far more fatal than flu. And if the same percentage of the worlds population was infected as normal flu, the death toll would be in the tens of millions.

Your last statement may not be correct due to the fact that if a patient that has tested positive for covid dies, covid is officially the cause of death.

If a patient with influenza dies, it will not always be recorded as the cause of death.

Health officials have admitted that until the year is over they won’t know if covid is worse than flu as regards death rate.

It is however causing havoc regarding ICU dependancy in Italy.

joe_99 wrote: »

OK I checked up and its about 9%. In the US its about 20% which is a stat I remember reading.

There's not too many sources but this one is from 2009.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278149/
    Influenza is a highly contagious respiratory illness that is responsible for significant morbidity and mortality. Approximately 9% of the world’s population is affected annually, with up to 1 billion infections, 3 to 5 million severe cases, and 300,000 to 500,000 deaths each year.
    In the U.S. alone, nearly 20% of the population is affected. On average, 25 to 50 million documented influenza cases, 225,000 hospitalizations, and ultimately more than 20,000 deaths occur every year.

The US are hoping in a best case scenario to come out of covid19 with 100-200,000 deaths. Without a lockdown, they estimate 1-2 million. That's a lot more than the 20,000 or so deaths from normal flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italy reports 4668 new cases, 760 new deaths

New cases down slightly on yesterday but deaths up from 727.

New cases are steady for the last few days which is good news.

The deaths will always take a little longer to come out and you would suspect it'll stay high for a few more weeks given most would have been in ICU for a period of time prior to death.

RIP to them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can we ban people from cycling and going out jogging altogether? The 2km rule has only made Rathmines more busy as people who would have gone to UCD are exercising locally. The paths here are narrow physical distancing is not being adhered to.

Cyclists should not be on the path simple.

As for runners, well it's important to get the exercise, if the paths are narrow then it's the same problem if people are walking so I don't see the difference to be honest, just do the same as you would do with a walker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone know if Tony Holohan will be doing the Dept. of Health press conference this evening or will it be his deputy again? I know he was released from hospital but he might be taking a break for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Health Workers and patients running short of items in the UK.
    NHS nurses are turning to online crowdfunding to ask for donations of everyday essentials including sanitary products, bedding and hand cream as some hospitals run low on basic items before the peak of the UK’s coronavirus outbreak...

The nationwide shortage of personal protective equipment has been a focus of criticism of the UK’s handling of the crisis. The apparent shortage of everyday essentials has been less well-documented and comes a fortnight before coronavirus admissions are expected to peak.

Swansea Bay health board also appealed for donations of dressing gowns, slippers and sanitary towels for patients. In a post on its charity Facebook page, it said patients were running out of toiletries and clean nightclothes because almost all visits had been cancelled because of coronavirus. “This is already a problem and likely to get worse in the weeks ahead,” it said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/02/nhs-nurses-resort-to-online-wish-lists-to-source-everyday-items

I imagine the same problems will surface here... Anyone know if the hospitals here are asking for help with these everyday essentials?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Anyone know if Tony Holohan will be doing the Dept. of Health press conference this evening or will it be his deputy again? I know he was released from hospital but he might be taking a break for a few days.

Yeah he's doing the briefing today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I heard on the news earlier that he was expected back this evening. Anyone get a time for the today's press briefing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Very good point. And yes the anti body test is probably just as important.

Those who can't get tested should at least have the option of the antibody test.

It doesn't exist yet. It's being developed and I think the FDA has approved it but honestly, I'd wonder about its efficacy if it's been rushed. How much of a chance of a false positive or negative is there? Germany has rolled out antibody testing but considering it's just being evaluated elsewhere, I'd be cautious about trusting it. The German programme is a trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RTE on their lunchtime bulletin said he is expected to do the briefing as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Correction.
    Every death is a tragedy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement