Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Italy reports 4668 new cases, 760 new deaths

New cases down slightly on yesterday but deaths up from 727.

So do people think the Italians are past the peak or is it going to get worse still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Getting close to 1 million cases,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    HSE covering their arses from litigation, nothing new there. Wank3rs.
    Funkfield wrote: »
    Shockin language for a priest

I blame Len Brennan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Just heard that my friends first cousin died from covid 19 yesterday, 43 year old man, 4 kids, no underlying conditions. Went into hospital on Monday, tested, results came back today positive but he died yesterday. Absolutely heartbreaking, this is really scaring the s**t out of me now. Stay stay folks and stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Incredible story from China of the Americans snatching consignments of masks meant for France. They showed up with "wads of cash".

The supplies are now not going to France.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/face-masks-china-intended-france-101726494.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

OK I checked up and its about 9%. In the US its about 20% which is a stat I remember reading.

There's not too many sources but this one is from 2009.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278149/

The US are hoping in a best case scenario to come out of covid19 with 100-200,000 deaths. Without a lockdown, they estimate 1-2 million. That's a lot more than the 20,000 or so deaths from normal flu.

Thanks for the info. The USA needs to up it's Flu vaccine game by those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In a town in Italy 70% of blood donors tested positive
    https://it.finance.yahoo.com/notizie/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-il-065252105.html

The town has a population of 4800 and 80 residents have died there from coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just heard that my friends first cousin died from covid 19 yesterday, 43 year old man, 4 kids, no underlying conditions. Went into hospital on Monday, tested, results came back today positive but he died yesterday. Absolutely heartbreaking, this is really scaring the s**t out of me now. Stay stay folks and stay away.

Can I ask, how would you know this for sure? I don't know the health status of all my first cousins and you're a step removed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Following the record jobless claims in the US what do we think unemployment will hit here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seamai wrote: »
    I heard on the news earlier that he was expected back this evening. Anyone get a time for the today's press briefing?
    See the sticky at the top of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Incredible story from China of the Americans snatching consignments of masks meant for France. They showed up with "wads of cash".

The supplies are now not going to France.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/face-masks-china-intended-france-101726494.html?__twitter_impression=true
    2.2 trillion to spend. They will outbid everyone except the Saudis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Can I ask, how would you know this for sure? I don't know the health status of all my first cousins and you're a step removed again.

Apologies, none that his immediate family were aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Nicola Sturgeon has clarified that, rather than there being 50 Scottish deaths yesterday, historical cases in one lab weren't forwarded to the Scottish government, so there were actually just ten deaths there yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/apr/02/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-covid-19-testing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Getting close to 1 million cases,

Meaningless number tbh. I'd say there is a million in the UK alone.

froog wrote: »
    we eat pigs by the rasherload. they are considered smarter than both dogs and cats.

think about that.

They eat frogs in France

OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Limerick??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apologies, none that his immediate family were aware of.

It’s possible he may have had a heart problem he wasn’t aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BanditLuke wrote: »

Well probably.
    But according to testing there are nearly 1 million confirmed cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Following the record jobless claims in the US what do we think unemployment will hit here?

It will be incremental as companies suffer from slowing demand and can't sustain a lockdown indefinitely. So 20% by month one of a lockdown, 25% month 2 and 30% by end of month 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://it.finance.yahoo.com/notizie/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-il-065252105.html

The town has a population of 4800 and 80 residents have died there from coronavirus.

There's a suspicion that many people are asymptomatic and might never show symptoms. But 80 dead out of 4800 population and thus 70% positive might also be in line with what you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

rusty cole wrote: »
    Can I ask, have any of you got this new Covid-19 leaflet that was imminent last week? In a time where people need facts, where is it? nearly 2 million for a bleeding printer and here we are waiting for a tell all covid info pack?

anyone get one?? or like the tests now, was the idea of them more credible than the tangible items themselves...bloody joke.

also Leo was quick to point out, they'd be delivered FREE OF CHARGE!! very good of him eh.. I mean our Taxes pay for them anyway.

I got mine last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭circadian

Where's the poster who's been claiming for days that it'll hit 1 million that day?

This might be your time to shine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A silver lining in that cloud is that they have surpassed the 60% required for herd immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I'm doing the sums in my head, is that about 2 to 3% death rate?
    Who is good at maths or has a calculator.

Edit - did the calculator 2.38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

One-sixtieth, so 1 and two-thirds %.

• Advertisement

Is it still 5:30 for DOH press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Has it been determined whether getting the virus once prevents reinfection and prevents you from transmitting the virus?

I'm sure I am not the first one to think of this.
    If it was the case that testing positive for Covid-19 and having isolated for 2 weeks made a person incapable of being reinfected of transferring the virus, then surely the smart thing to do at some point is test people for antibodies, and if they are positive issue them with some form of photo ID badge. Those people could then walk around normally and go back to work as long as they wore the badge.
    Obviously there would have to be extremely harsh penalties (6 months mandatory prison sentence?) for abuse of this system such as a fake Id's or using someone else's ID.
    It would at least let some businesses re-open and stay afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One-sixtieth, so 1 and two-thirds %.

70% of population is 3360 infected and 80 deaths is 2.38% of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

If its any consolation or sign of hope, the world percentage increases have been in single figures (just) for four consecutive days:

Date. . New. .. . Total. . % Growth

26-Mar 60,909 .. 532,692 .. 12.91
    27-Mar 64,643 .. 597,335 .. 12.14
    28-Mar 67,589 .. 664,924 .. 11.32
    29-Mar 57,511 .. 722,435 ... 8.65
    30-Mar 63,544 .. 785,979 ... 8.80
    31-Mar 73,577 .. 859,556 ... 9.36
    01-Apr 77,614 .. 937,170 ... 9.03

(Source: John Hopkins)

Presumably testing is increasing globally behind these numbers so a fall in the reported percent increases maybe an encouraging trend. But I guess until the absolute increases start to fall one must avoid getting too carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

A silver lining in that cloud is that they have surpassed the 60% required for herd immunity.

The herd immunity percentage will be higher if it's that contagious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭circadian

70% of donors not 70% of the population. Could be any amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

British presser has started ( late ) on Sky News

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If its any consolation or sign of hope, the world percentage increases have been in single figures (just) for four consecutive days.

I think testing is gone to the dogs in many countries, so it's quite hard to see how this pandemic is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

efanton wrote: »
    Has it been determined whether getting the virus once prevents reinfection and prevents you from transmitting the virus?

I'm sure I am not the first one to think of this.
    If it was the case that testing positive for Covid-19 and having isolated for 2 weeks made a person incapable of being reinfected of transferring the virus, then surely the smart thing to do at some point is test people for antibodies, and if they are positive issue them with some form of photo ID badge. Those people could then walk around normally and go back to work as long as they wore the badge.
    Obviously there would have to be extremely harsh penalties (6 months mandatory prison sentence?) for abuse of this system such as a fake Id's or using someone else's ID.
    It would at least let some businesses re-open and stay afloat.

Not known yet, no.

Antibody testing is still in the works. There's some trial going on in Germany at the moment. But I don't think they've ascertained how good it is yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

moany fuc wrote: »
    Sad..... an awful lot of "people" are dying all over the world from this.

You also have to remember that there are many different strains of coronavirus. Tubby had coronavirus but was it this novel strain Covid19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think testing is gone to the dogs in many countries, so it's quite hard to see how this pandemic is going.

Indeed, if there is insufficient testing, which is rampant across the globe then the numbers on WorldOMeter etc. have no context of note. The only truly meaningful one is the death rate, but without enough testing you can't derive an accurate CFR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I read earlier there's 29 clusters in nursing homes. Does that mean there's 29 nursing homes effected.

Would staff quarters on site be a good idea going forward. Maybe not now with this crisis but another time. If there's any virus outbreak, closures from visitors can be implemented along with staff moving in on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

DOCARCH wrote: »

Well then it goes to looking at hospitals and how they are coping I guess.

Although I do think nursing home and other areas need to be looked at.

Read today that one nursing home has 100 positive cases, 35% of it's staff been affected, and rest are agent staff or residents, and think there were 4 deaths.

The warnings on this board about Cheltenham are now starting to be completely vindicated.

“Hundreds infected”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8179369/How-Cheltenham-Festival-hotspot-coronavirus-cases.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

BanditLuke wrote: »

50,000 deaths is a more concrete statistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The warnings on this board about Cheltenham are now starting to be completely vindicated.

“Hundreds infected”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8179369/How-Cheltenham-Festival-hotspot-coronavirus-cases.html

It's not as if everyone wasnt pointing this out. Yet pricks from this country still went over. I wouldnt wish the virus on anyone, but these idiots could have helped kill vulnerable people at home.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

“Hundreds infected”

It's interesting that these people are infected now - although it's more than 14 days ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too wise to get a takeaway such as a Domino's at the present time? Not because of contact with the driver, more infection via the food etc or am I being OTT?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Well then it goes to looking at hospitals and how they are coping I guess.

Although I do think nursing home and other areas need to be looked at.

Read today that one nursing home has 100 positive cases, 35% of it's staff been affected, and rest are agent staff or residents, and think there were 4 deaths.

It went like wildfire through Spanish nursing homes - to such an extent that Spanish soldiers in Hazmat suits had to be sent in to recover bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

owlbethere wrote:
    I read earlier there's 29 clusters in nursing homes. Does that mean there's 29 nursing homes effected.

That's right

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

“Hundreds infected”

We told ya so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cheekpieces

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It's interesting that these people are infected now - although it's more than 14 days ago....

Cause its absolute bull**** from the worst rag out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Apparently questions from journalists had to be pre submitted for Pascal Donoghue's press conference today.

I don't know why ministers bother with this strategy, as they usually don't answer any difficult questions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Yeh the whole system of testing is broken unfortunately. Bit of a joke at this stage. Waiting 8-10 days for a test and results makes the whole process almost worthless. Its odd that Ryan Tubridy, Ciara Kelly and Claire Byrne can get results but frontline nurses can't.

I work in pathology. We started testing last week but it was after I got my swab. Im thinking now I should put on mask etc get my dad to drive me to the hospital get swab and the lads will do it quicker for me! Don't work in micro but obviously know the scientists/lab aids and friends with 2 of the reg's. Crazy like I should have had my results ages ago cause of my job and its 11 days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it wouldn't be too wise to get a takeaway such as a Domino's at the present time? Not because of contact with the driver, more infection via the food etc or am I being OTT?

OTT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement