Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Might depend on where you live! If I'm on the outer side I tend to just stay near the edge or step out a bit, but if I'm on the inside I'm just expecting them to move naturally, and virtually everyone does.

If there are a good few people around I tend to just go onto the road altogether, I'm generally either running and if I'm walking I tend to walk faster than most people anyway.

good point, I am normally on the outer side in preparation so I am the reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

The groceries I presume?

:pac::pac::pac:

:pac::pac::pac:
    The groceries I presume?

Added the context of my hilarious joke!
    frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’ve been wiping mine with water mixed with a small amount of dettol for a few days now

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,840 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good to hear that we report deaths when Covid19 is confirmed as present, as opposed to it being the primary cause of death. Strikes me as more transparent, and less susceptible to fudging, in terms of deaths at least.
    The problem with that approach is it may be masking a lot of deaths where there was never a test done. Equally that's not necessarily an easy figure to come up with as I cannot imagine they are doing post mortems, but there must be a number where it's suspected (and they take appropriate precautions at funerals for example) but not confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good to hear that we report deaths when Covid19 is confirmed as present, as opposed to it being the primary cause of death. Strikes me as more transparent, and less susceptible to fudging, in terms of deaths at least.

Which means many of the 98 deceased were very sick and frail and didn't die 'of' Covid, but died with Covid in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strazdas wrote: »
    There's a suspicion that many people are asymptomatic and might never show symptoms. But 80 dead out of 4800 population and thus 70% positive might also be in line with what you would expect.
    Interesting finding, but what % of town's population are donors? What % of donor population was tested? What % population in region generally are donors?

If donors tested are representative and town not atypical, then it is further confirmation of asymptomatic and low-intensity infection cohort being a large % of the spreader.

Unfortunately included in the numbers missing are number tested and number confirmed, which would have been illuminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

splinter65 wrote: »
    With 100 residents they’d need at least 200 staff.

Really? Doesn't seem right to me that there would be so many staff.

Completely rough estimates here but if you had a ratio of 1 carer to 8 patients. 12.5 carers for a 8 hour shift. 37.5 careers need in a day and 262.5 carer shifts a week.
    I'll say 4 registered nurses on at any one time. 12 nurses needed a day and 84 nurse shifts a week.

Giving each carer a 40 hour week is 52.5 carers.
    Each nurse a 40 hour week is 17 nurses.
    To allow for annual leave, sickness, part time etc I'll increase total of both by 50%. That's 105 carers/nurses in total. Would there be another 95 staff between cleaners, chefs, admin etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Could RTE be anymore gloomy . They are only short of pointing to bridges we can jump off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eagle eye wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

This is the type of action I'd like to see from my government but we'll never see it because they are afraid to look bad.

Oh yeah, telling the US to **** off would work out great for Ireland, wouldn’t it? Think of how it would boost the economy. Any excuse, eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Only 312 ICU beds now? I thought they said 500 before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Could RTE be anymore gloomy . They are only short of pointing to bridges we can jump off

:D

And we would have to form an orderly queue to do so, with everyone 2M apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Don't worry there is always a lighthearted story at the end to cheer us all up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bantee wrote: »
    Don't worry there is always a lighthearted story at the end to cheer us all up

Sure didn't that lispy f*cker Ronan Keating spawn again, so we have that good news to keep us going :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Agree. But I find when I am out walking, it is always me that steps out into the road to give others that space. Most people over last week or so stand their ground and don't make any effort. That has been my experience anyway, maybe I am just too quick to step out in advance.

You remember that little left-right-left dance you would do with someone at close range when you're trying not to cannon into each other in passing?

I did that with someone yesterday in the park.

There was 30 metres between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Think of it as an 11% increase on confirmed cases.

That's encouraging.

Bear in mind there must be many more cases out there than have been tested.

But for sure if % increase on confirmed cases was trending at 30% say, this would be regarded as a disaster in train. So take your good news where you can find it.

Thanks for that. :) Honestly I didn't even do the maths, I just got a bit stressed :pac: That's actually massively comforting that it's an 11% increase :o

bekker wrote: »
    Interesting finding, but what % of town's population are donors? What % of donor population was tested? What % population in region generally are donors?

If donors tested are representative and town not atypical, then it is further confirmation of asymptomatic and low-intensity infection cohort being a large % of the spreader.

Unfortunately included in the numbers missing are number tested and number confirmed, which would have been illuminating.

This is where the antibody test might come into play. There may come a day soon when every person in Ireland is given the antibody test (I believe it only costs €5 or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Leo said we have 1200 ventilators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Think of it as an 11% increase on confirmed cases.

That's encouraging.

Bear in mind there must be many more cases out there than have been tested.

But for sure if % increase on confirmed cases was trending at 30% say, this would be regarded as a disaster in train. So take your good news where you can find it.

Important to note here that while the percentage increase is encouraging these increases in pure numbers are not sustainable in terms of capacity in the health service as Dr Holohan says.

Hopefully that rate of increase falls significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Glebee

I knew we should not have ordered that damn PPE from Wish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

Incredible story from China of the Americans snatching consignments of masks meant for France. They showed up with "wads of cash".

The supplies are now not going to France.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/face-masks-china-intended-france-101726494.html?__twitter_impression=true

Delighted to hear it after France seized 6 million masks which were made by a French-based Swedish company most of which were contracted to go to other European countries . Nice kick in the teeth for EU solidarity. France first - the rest can go hang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Missed the briefing but 402 is a big jump from yesterday! Someone sad with kit shortage they were wondering what todays and tomorrows numbers would be like..

Leo said we have 1200 ventilators.

Good : hopefully they are never needed and only a small fraction are put into use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1172781

Sweden won't go into lockdown.

Crazy decision.

Finland considers shutting completely border with Sweden

"As the two countries are dealing with the coronavirus crisis differently, with Finland restricting and Sweden recommending, the situation has changed. Finnish authorities and politicians are now pondering whether the border should be closed for the labour force but this will have a direct impact on the Swedish healthcare system."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/all/short_news/finland-considers-shutting-completely-border-with-sweden/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

boardise wrote: »
    Delighted to hear it after France seized 6 million masks which were made by a French-based Swedish company most of which were contracted to go to other European countries . Nice kick in the teeth for EU solidarity. France first - the rest can go hang.

Nice philosophy there.
    Race to the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Looks like the lockdown might be extended

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Missed the briefing but 402 is a big jump from yesterday! Someone sad with kit shortage they were wondering what todays and tomorrows numbers would be like..

But Dr Holohan also said he is very hopeful the new case numbers will start to drop by the end of the next week (drop considerably).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Beasty wrote: »
    The problem with that approach is it may be masking a lot of deaths where there was never a test done. Equally that's not necessarily an easy figure to come up with as I cannot imagine they are doing post mortems, but there must be a number where it's suspected (and they take appropriate precautions at funerals for example) but not confirmed

Its a good point. I am assuming we test everyone who dies with Covid19 like symptoms. I am also assuming we test everyone eventually.

Another point is, this testing approach might also explain our higher death rate per capita vs some other countries. It's a horrible way of looking at it, but if we have a very high median age of death, its more likely that there were people who were on their death bed. If they contract Covid19 and die, we capture that, another country might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Big Mike on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A relative (not someone I'm close to) died of the virus yesterday. They were elderly (80-ish), had an underlying condition, but would have been out and about to the shops and mass etc on their own. No reported symptoms other than poor results on diabetes blood testing on Monday and Tuesday, attended hospital Tuesday for this, tested positive, and dead within 36 hours. Apparently there was pneumonia evident. Shocking for the family. My elderly mother is shook.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I'm sorry but if you cut the number of tests by half your gonna find less new cases its like if the Gardai have an anti drink driving campaign they will catch an awful lot more than normal, the number of new cases should be taken with a pinch of salt we can not take them figures as a way of judging how well lockdown is working also the CMO confirmed that any death in which the person has a positve Covid diagnoses is included in the stats so if someone gets a message to confirm they're positive then gets electrocuted changing a lightbulb they're in the figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭DenMan

George Lee's last couple of sentences mentioned that some PPE that arrived from China was not what was expected and that tests on some Irish citizens are now being done in Germany overnight! Just thrown in at the end before going to the welfare payments report. WTF!!! I hope their quizzed on this! Sounds like a way of not reporting on defective medical equipment that we like other European countries got from China.

davedanon wrote: »
    You remember that little left-right-left dance you would do with someone at close range when you're trying not to cannon into each other in passing?

I did that with someone yesterday in the park.

There was 30 metres between us.

Agree davedanon. I was moving out to the middle of the road as far as I could possibly get. There is no harm is maximising the gap, to the extent that is physically possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Saw on BBC the other day France were to start adding figures for nursing home deaths.
    Yes, the data from the Ehpad nursing homes in France will be annnounced later today
    https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/coronavirus-pourquoi-le-bilan-du-nombre-de-morts-en-ehpad-est-particulierement-attendu-1887255.html

What's the point of giving the median age? Why not give the average age?

6 of those people that sadly passed away could be 25 for all we know and another 6 could be 93. Saying the median is 92 makes it seem like only very elderly are dying but actually that may not be the case at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Florida 209 deaths so far today. Big increase and not surprising given demographics.

The Republican governor wouldn't even issue stay at home orders until yesterday

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/coronavirus-florida-de-santis-trump.amp.html

branie2 wrote: »

Is there actually anyone who thought it wouldn't be? Even those on here who expect it to be relaxed at some stage reasonably soon are not talking of that happening before the end of April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

need another graph based on date of request for test rather then date got result results

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

froog wrote: »
    Big Mike on now

He comes across really well, very likable speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Florida 209 deaths so far today. Big increase and not surprising given demographics.

The Republican governor wouldn't even issue stay at home orders until yesterday

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/coronavirus-florida-de-santis-trump.amp.html

He's a moron. Just when they were coming to the apex in New York another state has blown up.

Thank God for responsible governing on the West coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

branie2 wrote: »

Always likely to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The median age is 82. Poor George Lee has nervous exhaustion, the gaffes are piling up.
    Median age of the 13 deaths announced today is 92.

Median age of deaths overall is 82.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

DenMan wrote: »
    George Lee's last couple of sentences mentioned that some PPE that arrived from China was not what was expected and that tests on some Irish citizens are now being done in Germany overnight! Just thrown in at the end before going to the welfare payments report. WTF!!! I hope their quizzed on this! Sounds like a way of not reporting on defective medical equipment that we like other European countries got from China.

Leo speaking about this in his speech at the moment.

He said that some ppe look different and feel different from what staff are used to be they work and people will keep on top of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

otnomart wrote: »
    Finland considers shutting completely border with Sweden

"As the two countries are dealing with the coronavirus crisis differently, with Finland restricting and Sweden recommending, the situation has changed. Finnish authorities and politicians are now pondering whether the border should be closed for the labour force but this will have a direct impact on the Swedish healthcare system."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/all/short_news/finland-considers-shutting-completely-border-with-sweden/

In that link there's a pic of a bar...95SK(€8.50ish) for a beer and 99SK(€9) glass of wine and it's Happy Hour! Nearly would too at this point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very positive change in hi now they had do much more data available today someone in the HSE must be reading boards:pac:

Good news too on the tests be sent to Germany apparently thousands were shipped overnight according to Gloomy George

Who's big Mike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is there actually anyone who thought it wouldn't be? Even those on here who expect it to be relaxed at some stage reasonably soon are not talking of that happening before the end of April

Quite a few posters on here are still under that impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,531 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Italy haven't bent the curve yet, ffs. Taking to long, China at this stage looks like a total fraud. Virus didn't manage to visit the city over from Wuhan, but ended up in Timbuktu .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stheno wrote: »
    Very positive change in hi now they had do much more data available today someone in the HSE must be reading boards:pac:

Good news too on the tests be sent to Germany apparently thousands were shipped overnight according to Gloomy George

Who's big Mike?

Just head of the WHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In Rathmines just there for some shopping - some fella walking up the street shouting at the top of his voice how 5G was going to be the ruin of us all (and other related ramblings of pyschotic nature)
    They're not just on Twitter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Also positive that they are looking at different types of tests including antibody tests

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just head of the WHO

Ah yes he's great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement