Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

fritzelly wrote: »
    In Rathmines just there for some shopping - some fella walking up the street shouting at the top of his voice how 5G was going to be the ruin of us all (and other related ramblings of pyschotic nature)
    They're not just on Twitter

One is waterford yesterday saying the hand sanitizer was hand poison

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

[HTML][/HTML]
    It was stated that the median age is 82 not 92.

I was referring to the median age of todays deaths which was 92.

The overall median is 82.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

Italy and Spain cases still rising but will it get to a point when millions have it there or is it already the case with the limited testing. We have 3500 cases which seems small but every county has cases. Could it be that 50% 60% get it here and 4% die

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

So 84 deaths were not in an ICU setting. I assume the rest were nursing homes etc? Very sad

Some die in hospital before they reach ICU. Sudden cardiac arrest due to underlying issues and the extra strain on organs with the virus. A healthy heart would be under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

boardise wrote: »
    Delighted to hear it after France seized 6 million masks which were made by a French-based Swedish company most of which were contracted to go to other European countries . Nice kick in the teeth for EU solidarity. France first - the rest can go hang.
    The first duty of a state is to protect it's citizens.

That's what the German, French and US governments are doing.

None is more worthy of blame or praise than another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

What's the point of giving the median age? Why not give the average age?

6 of those people that sadly passed away could be 25 for all we know and another 6 could be 93. Saying the median is 92 makes it seem like only very elderly are dying but actually that may not be the case at all.

Extreme outliers do not affect the median as strongly as the average and therefore the median of a set is preferable in statistical analysis, particularly when it comes to health outcomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

90k cases globally on the 2 march. We're going to hit 1 million any moment now. What will the 2 of May show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

bantee wrote: »
    Don't worry there is always a lighthearted story at the end to cheer us all up

Usually about how brilliant immigration is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

In Rathmines just there for some shopping - some fella walking up the street shouting at the top of his voice how 5G was going to be the ruin of us all (and other related ramblings of pyschotic nature)

He's not wrong, if these speeds get any faster, we'll just lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah yes he's great

Mike is Informed . Articulate , and non gloomy
    Unlike Mr. Gloom George Lee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Good to see the current icu numbers now.

RIP to the people who passed away.

I’m really not surprised that waiting rooms and beds are empty in hospitals

Beasty wrote: »
    The problem with that approach is it may be masking a lot of deaths where there was never a test done. Equally that's not necessarily an easy figure to come up with as I cannot imagine they are doing post mortems, but there must be a number where it's suspected (and they take appropriate precautions at funerals for example) but not confirmed

That may be true but you can be sure the figures from Italy,Spain,UK and New York are understated by a far greater percentage given the issues they have with testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Agree davedanon. I was moving out to the middle of the road as far as I could possibly get. There is no harm is maximising the gap, to the extent that is physically possible.

It's becoming mutual and almost instinctive, which is very encouraging.

Good to see the current icu numbers now.

RIP to the people who passed away.

I’m really not surprised that waiting rooms and beds are empty in hospitals

They won’t be for long if we all listen to George Lees advice “ If you have a lump or bump just pop in to A and E “

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Wouldn't do anyone any harm to actually look into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Snipp wrote: »
    Extreme outliers do not affect the median as strongly as the average and therefore the median of a set is preferable in statistical analysis, particularly when it comes to health outcomes.

Perhaps in future the media might consider carrying on with median figures rather than average when contrasting salaries of different sectors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They won’t be for long if we all listen to George Lees advice “ If you have a lump or bump just pop in to A and E “

He didn`t actually say that did he?

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Lol. I still thing everyone will stay away.

My concern has been that 500 or so healthcare workers tested positive for COVID19.

I’d be nervous going to a doctor never mind a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,382 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's becoming mutual and almost instinctive, which is very encouraging.

When I'm walking in the evenings at about 8:00pm it's great to see people if they walking towards each other acting like they both have snarling dogs that they can't let get close to each other. I've also noticed people saying thank you when other people move to create distance between people.

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said:

"We have a more detailed ICU report available this evening. Of 148 cases admitted to ICU, 25 of those cases have been discharged, sadly there have been 14 deaths from ICU and 109 remain in ICU. The median age of ICU admission is 62.
    "I would also like to highlight a worrying scene I witnessed during my visit to hospital on Tuesday evening; empty waiting rooms and empty beds. While protecting yourself from COVID-19 is a priority, no one should ignore signs that they may need medical attention for other ailments such as lumps, chest pain or other concerns. Please do not ignore any symptom outside of COVID-19. The hospitals are there for all ailments, not just COVID-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lots of craziness out there. Lots of New York videos of guys going around to test centres that are empty, Hospitals that have no one in them, interviewing ambulance drivers, asking them have you seen a Covid case, answer is always not so far.
    It's easy for a lot of people to believe it's a hoax with things like this going around. I still don't know how to explain those vids, unless they're faked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

90k cases globally on the 2 march. We're going to hit 1 million any moment now. What will the 2 of May show.

Over 1 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tony Holohan said that if you have symptoms and are concerned contact medical professionals as you would usually.

If you have chest pains and think you are having a heart attack don't wait a while to see if it goes away call an ambulance.

They are concerned that people are dieing or are sick from illnesses not related to covid 19. From heart attacks, cancers, strokes and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,736 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"We have a more detailed ICU report available this evening. Of 148 cases admitted to ICU, 25 of those cases have been discharged, sadly there have been 14 deaths from ICU and 109 remain in ICU. The median age of ICU admission is 62.
    "I would also like to highlight a worrying scene I witnessed during my visit to hospital on Tuesday evening; empty waiting rooms and empty beds. While protecting yourself from COVID-19 is a priority, no one should ignore signs that they may need medical attention for other ailments such as lumps, chest pain or other concerns. Please do not ignore any symptom outside of COVID-19. The hospitals are there for all ailments, not just COVID-19

Are the other deaths from nursing care homes?

One of the most interesting developments today was the transfer of some tests to Germany laboratories in order to reduce the backlog.

This is obviously going to result in a major spike in new cases daily as the additional capacity works through the backlog.

With this in mind I think early next week could see large increases in new cases.As a result the newly clarified ICU figures and the number of deaths daily will be a far better indicator of the spread of the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's so scary to think. We're only a few minutes away from reaching a million confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Over 1 million?

Worldometer is at 998,767.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are the other deaths from nursing care homes?

I really don’t know.

I get the info here every day.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/8f3039-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-ap/

It's so scary to think. We're only a few minutes away from reaching a million confirmed cases.

Shouldn't be a scary milestone in itself given that we all know that the number is understated by multiples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

One of the most interesting developments today was the transfer of some tests to Germany laboratories in order to reduce the backlog

I missed that bit, was it announced at the conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

One of the most interesting developments today was the transfer of some tests to Germany laboratories in order to reduce the backlog.

This is obviously going to result in a major spike in new cases daily as they additional capacity works through the backlog.

With this in mind I think early next week could see large increases in new cases.As a result the newly clarified ICU figures and the number of deaths daily will be a far better indicator of the spread of the virus.

Do you recall if they said when this would occur? I may have mis understood but I though that some of today's numbers were including German results.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I was just told that the Range in Carlow is open. Packed with people buying paint etc and limited to no precautions in place. Most other businesses putting themselves under severe financial pressure and this s**thole open for no good reason. Absolutely disgusting and anyone going in is worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

He did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

poppers wrote: »
    Cheltenham ended 3 weeks ago. I think anyone showing symptoms from now got it somewhere else.

Might take 4 to 14 days for symptoms to start then 10 days from symptoms to full blown pneumonia. That does not include all the people you have infected between then and now just so you could have the crack at gee gees in Cheltenham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lots of craziness out there. Lots of New York videos of guys going around to test centres that are empty, Hospitals that have no one in them, interviewing ambulance drivers, asking them have you seen a Covid case, answer is always not so far.
    It's easy for a lot of people to believe it's a hoax with things like this going around. I still don't know how to explain those vids, unless they're faked.

YouTube videos. A totally trustworthy source of information.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hogandrew wrote: »
    I was just told that the Range in Carlow is open. Packed with people buying paint etc and limited to no precautions in place. Most other businesses putting themselves under severe financial pressure and this s**thole open for no good reason. Absolutely disgusting and anyone going in is worse

In reality it’s most likely 100 million if not way more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

need another graph based on date of request for test rather then date got result results
    That could be quite an empty graph. Looks like they are going after contact tracing instead. I hope they get round to an antibody test for the data.

Yes he did . Apparently A and Es are empty so George decides we can all pop along if we have any lumps or bumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

hogandrew wrote: »

Eamon Ryan will have us all out painting our walls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Strazdas wrote: »
    This is where the antibody test might come into play. There may come a day soon when every person in Ireland is given the antibody test (I believe it only costs €5 or something).

The British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said they were looking at this type of test.

He said it takes about 28 days for your body to develop Antibodys.

Althought FDA has authorized first coronavirus antibody test

The US Food and Drug Administration has issued its first emergency use authorization for a coronavirus test that looks for antibodies in the blood.

That type of test, called a serology test, would be able to identify past coronavirus infections, although it may be less effective at identifying recent ones.

The authorized test, from a manufacturer called Cellex Inc., requires blood to be collected through a vein, and the test itself can only be performed in a certified lab.

Because antibodies can take time to develop, the FDA has previously warned against using antibody tests to definitively diagnose coronavirus

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/fda-coronavirus-antibody-test-authorization/index.html

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In reality it’s most likely 100 million if not way more

It's definitely not that high , most countries estimate cases to be underrepresented by about a factor of 10x

South Korea and Germany and Iceland have tested Large amounts of their populations and still the vast majority come back negative, the disease is simply just not that widespread currently

Leaving and Inter cert going ahead also.

Eamon Ryan will have us all out painting our walls

He has me making salads :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Gordon Elliott and the effects on horse racing on rte news.. My heart bleeds.. I thought the scenes from Italy and Spain were sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just head of the WHO

Just to be 100% accurate -Michael Ryan is not 'Head' or Director General of the WHO.
    His title is Exec Director of WHO Health Emergencies Programme.
    He is of course the key man in the most crucial area of WHO operations at the moment.

Last week he was complaining about the "worried well"

I missed that bit, was it announced at the conference?

George Lee spoke about it on the news.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Leaving and Inter cert going ahead also.

In the normal exam setting or based on overall work, projects and previous exams etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Joe Duffy has a message - washyerhandz

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1245382719242145794

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement