Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Gordon Elliott and the effects on horse racing on rte news.. My heart bleeds.. I thought the scenes from Italy and Spain were sad.

So we're only to report from Italy and Spain now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Global cases will pass the 1M mark very shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm guessing this is the surge now.

What was our predicted vs actual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Leaving and Inter cert going ahead also.

did you not hear, they abolished the Inter course ages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Do not call 999 for a non emergency! call your local station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Just on the CMOs point about lack of people in hospitals, well they clearly think they're better off taking their chances at home. And unless they know that the place they're going to does not have covid patients and staff that have no contact at all, with covid patients, then it's hard to criticise them for not turning up. Also for some, they'd prefer to pass away in the comfort of their own home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Leaving and Inter cert going ahead also.
    Where are you reading that? Also nobody has called it the Inter Cert since the 70s so there goes any credibility you had as an education spokesperson.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    In the normal exam setting or based on overall work, projects and previous exams etc.,

Dont know. Announced by Leo within last hour according to RTE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I missed that bit, was it announced at the conference?

Gloomy George announced on the news that they shipped thousands of swabs overnight to the lab in Germany so they can clear the backlog

Overall positive news, the important numbers for me now are not the amount of cases but the icu/hospitalization rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

To paraphrase Brian Keenan on his release from captivity in August 1990 when I get out 'I'm going to make love to all the women in Dublin' :)

To paraphrase another great Irish man, Pat Mustard, I'm going to be a busy man, a very busy man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Do you recall if they said when this would occur? I may have mis understood but I though that some of today's numbers were including German results.

It was when I flicked back to the news on RTE 1.George Lee spoke about it.I have no idea if some German lab results were included in todays figure though.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Where are you reading that? Also nobody has called it the Inter Cert since the 70s so there goes any credibility you had as an education spokesperson.

RTE on 6.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I think the latest bigger numbers are whole family spread within households.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Thank you germany

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Heard the old BCG vaccine being tested as a cure

Pg

Stheno wrote: »
    Gloomy George announced on the news that they shipped thousands of swabs overnight to the lab in Germany so they can clear the backlog

Overall positive news, the important numbers for me now are not the amount of cases but the icu/hospitalization rates

And deaths unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Absolute state of this show that just started on RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cheekpieces

Happy4all wrote: »

Pg

Also heard a large ocean liner hit an iceberg somewhere out in the North Atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

So we're only to report from Italy and Spain now?

?? The news was mostly Irish. It's those insufferable horse racing gob*****s I'm talking about. With their superiority complex.

D'fhág liom, Fann Linn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Actually the inter cert ran to 1991 then became junior cert. Don't ask me how I know, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

branie2 wrote: »
    Looks like the lockdown might be extended

Will be extended, there isn't a shadow of a doubt.

My relations in America are under instruction to 'shelter in place' and that order has been extended to May 4th. They are in the SF Bay Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

27 deaths today in Florida instead of 209?

What was the reason for the error? Worldometers spreading fake news?

kenmc wrote: »
    Actually the leaving cert ran to 1991 then became junior cert. Don't ask me how I know, right?

For the pedantics, all State exams going ahead this year according to Leo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Happy4all wrote: »

Pg

BCG? Is that a vaccine we got when small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

For the pedantics, all State exams going ahead this year according to Leo.

Well thats unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Over One million mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Well, ignoring the nit-picking, Leo did say today that the state examinations will go ahead at this point.
    Does anybody actually watch it listen to the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I think the latest bigger numbers are whole family spread within households.

Is that the big tub of Dairygold? Family Spread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Now over a million reported cases worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nah was the sequel to Ronald Dahls bfg,the big clumsy giant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Good to hear that we report deaths when Covid19 is confirmed as present, as opposed to it being the primary cause of death. Strikes me as more transparent, and less susceptible to fudging, in terms of deaths at least.
    Andrew00 wrote: »
    Absolute state of this show that just started on RTE1

Theres enough carp on about C19 without this and with that smug BC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is there any reason why they don't announce the amount tested daily?

E.g there could have been 250 people tested yesterday and 210 had it. There could have been 2000 tested today and 400 had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Now over a million reported cases worldwide.

The cases numbers are worthless since not everyone can get tested, its inaccurate number that downplays the proper total.

The deaths are likely to be much more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just announced on RTE 1 news that De Taoish reckons state exams are still going to happen.

I am glad my teenager is in TY year - the current situation of all of us cooped up together for 24 hrs with two of us trying to work from home, is not a great environment to be trying to study in. Also they have missed several weeks of school teaching already and are under a kind of stress that no other exam candidates have had to endure in the history of the state.

How fair is it to put them through an exam in or around an environment of death, job loss, and home confinement? It will be even more cruel to keep the party line going that the exams are continuing only to call them off at the last minute, as I still suspect will happen.

As I said, I am glad it's not a state exam year for my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

did you not hear, they abolished the Inter course ages ago

Did you not hear it was called the inter cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pheonix10 wrote: »

E.g there could have been 250 people tested yesterday and 210 had it. There could have been 2000 tested today and 400 had it?

Because we report it weekly. It's just the way the system is set up to feed information back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

People being tested yesterday mightn't have their results for a week or two. That's how far behind they are so they can't give accurate figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

What's the point of giving the median age? Why not give the average age?

6 of those people that sadly passed away could be 25 for all we know and another 6 could be 93. Saying the median is 92 makes it seem like only very elderly are dying but actually that may not be the case at all.

the median is better as it lessens the effect of outliers. for example a single death of a 10 year old would skew the average a lot. not so with the median.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said they were looking at this type of test.

He said it takes about 28 days for your body to develop Antibodys.

Althought FDA has authorized first coronavirus antibody test

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/fda-coronavirus-antibody-test-authorization/index.html

Does it really take that long to develop anti bodies? they must develop much quicker than 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Don't worry, we'll get an approximate number some day next week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Does it really take that long to develop anti bodies? they must develop much quicker than 28 days.

9 days was mentioned in the Irish govt briefing?

27 deaths today in Florida instead of 209?

What was the reason for the error? Worldometers spreading fake news?

Not updated.There are a couple of updates daily from a lot of the US states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We are the 124th most populous country in the world. We are 22nd in number of coronavirus cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

splashuum wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

From the 2015 report:
    An experiment that created a hybrid version of a bat coronavirus — one related to the virus that causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) — has triggered renewed debate over whether engineering lab variants of viruses with possible pandemic potential is worth the risks.

This warning came in 2015.
    The Chinese government have some explaining to do.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Just announced on RTE 1 news that De Taoish reckons state exams are still going to happen.

I am glad my teenager is in TY year - the current situation of all of us cooped up together for 24 hrs with two of us trying to work from home, is not a great environment to be trying to study in. Also they have missed several weeks of school teaching already and are under a kind of stress that no other exam candidates have had to endure in the history of the state.

How fair is it to put them through an exam in or around an environment of death, job loss, and home confinement? It will be even more cruel to keep the party line going that the exams are continuing only to call them off at the last minute, as I still suspect will happen.

As I said, I am glad it's not a state exam year for my family.

He has to say that, even if they are not. Otherwise everyone just stops doing any study for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just thinking as I watched the daily media news update on COVD on RTE.

The numbers of new cases are two weeks old!

I'm waiting 11 days on test results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are the 124th most populous country in the world. We are 22nd in number of coronavirus cases.

punching above our weight, best fans in the world

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement