Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

magma69 wrote: »
    It's the nuance of your post that makes it great.

"But they some people seem to think our government are doing a great job"

He knows his audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I personally think our death figures are a concern already. There are several other countries doing a lot better. Yes, there are others far worse too, but why are we not at the better end of things? What has gone wrong for us in that regard? And if we are testing more than most other countries, as claimed, then our death rate is likely to be more accurate (not fully accurate obviously) and their deaths rates even lower if they're missing proportionally more cases. Norway, Czechia, Australia, Poland for example. Their death rates are a lot lower than ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blackcard wrote: »
    It is a tough one. How do you decide who goes to third level colleges in the next school year? You can't ask everyone to repeat a year. I don't think that there will be a problem in allowing first, second and third year third level students to progress to the following year. But I think that if it is possible at all, exams will be held for the leaving certificate and final year at third level even if they are deferred until August. The only other option would be for teachers and lecturers to grade students which would open up a can of worms
    I think the LC is the crunch one as it fits into everything else, not just college plus as you say, students having to put their lives on hold for a whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

BCG? Is that a vaccine we got when small?

http://www.bcgatlas.org/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/31/a-vaccine-from-the-1920s-could-help-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://www.mpg.de/14610776/immune-boost-corona-virus

think Ireland has had problems sourcing the bcg since 2015

thinks wibbs mentioned this earlier like him I have an innate immunity. could we give plasma. would that help. dont know but willingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I dont see any mention online anywhere that swabs were sent to Germany and was never mentioned by the CMO. It's not even in RTEs live updates.

If they were sending swabs surely they would say it when asked about capacity and not leave it to Geroge lee to mention on air ?
    Paul Reid mentioned it this morning at about 5 minutes https://ift.tt/2JxeJQ7 .mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Gordon Elliott and the effects on horse racing on rte news.. My heart bleeds.. I thought the scenes from Italy and Spain were sad.

We get it you're not a horse racing fan. Time to let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭blackcard

Multipass wrote: »
    My son is in leaving cert and is working his butt off. I hope the exams go ahead, I really do. I can’t see what will happen with college admissions if they don’t. I don’t see why they can’t use primary schools as extra exam centres, space them out more, don’t allow congregation afterwards. I would certainly volunteer to invigilate.

I agree that they should go ahead. There are a lot of conference centres and function rooms in hotels available also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

QwNzhpF.png

Plenty of willing victims being prepared across America it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

boardise wrote: »
    As a follower of Irish racing all my life I'm dismayed to see a gratuitously dismissive remark like this. Any sport can seem trivial when set against the current scene of crisis . That's no reason to dismiss the worries people in the
    sector have about their jobs and livelihoods.
    Apart from employing tens of thousands in direct and spin-off activities , Irish racing brings in considerable income to the country for sales/breeding exports .
    Ireland sits at the top table for every facet of equine sport and earns great reputational kudos among the international community therefrom. Rather than belittle racing's contribution to the national story we should be justly proud of it.

Personally I hope the horse racing "industry" is decimated by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    The data on Ehpad nurning homes in France has just been published, and unfortunately it is quite high

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-salomon-annonce-au-moins-884-morts-dans-les-ehpad-1887357.html

And it is important to note that as per the article those deaths haven’t been included in the official figures published by French authorities.

I.e. they can be added to the total death count for France meaning French actual figures have been roughly 20% higher than originally reported :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Paul Reid mentioned it this morning at about 5 minutes https://ift.tt/2JxeJQ7 .mp3

Thanks, I was looking for it from the press conference, didn't realise it was said this morning. Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

boardise wrote: »
    As a follower of Irish racing all my life I'm dismayed to see a gratuitously dismissive remark like this. Any sport can seem trivial when set against the current scene of crisis . That's no reason to dismiss the worries people in the
    sector have about their jobs and livelihoods.
    Apart from employing tens of thousands in direct and spin-off activities , Irish racing brings in considerable income to the country for sales/breeding exports .
    Ireland sits at the top table for every facet of equine sport and earns great reputational kudos among the international community therefrom. Rather than belittle racing's contribution to the national story we should be justly proud of it.

It's gets huge amounts of tax payers money, it can do without it for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

QwNzhpF.png

And when they get sick who will they blame?

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    But they some people seem to think our government are doing a great job

They are doing a great job, one of the best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Re BCG
    relates to TB
    Saw this tweet.
    I think for the people who are saying quarantine is ridiculous, if you found out that the old enemy TB was suddenly running rampant in the developed world in a way it had not done in a very long time, wouldn't you be thinking it right to shut up shop for a while to try and stop it?

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1245613419446693889?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Just on the CMOs point about lack of people in hospitals, well they clearly think they're better off taking their chances at home. And unless they know that the place they're going to does not have covid patients and staff that have no contact at all, with covid patients, then it's hard to criticise them for not turning up. Also for some, they'd prefer to pass away in the comfort of their own home.

My post this morning page 484 Aunt was tested before going to heart ward in Dublin city hospital. Tested negative. Assume they tested all patients before moving to wards in main hospital. Now a patient on ward has covid and they have to test all patients. Still waiting to hear. So no I would avoid hospital at all costs if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Are we clapping too at 8pm or is this a UK thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are the 124th most populous country in the world. We are 22nd in number of coronavirus cases.

Where do we rank in testing? It's meaningless unless everyone is testing at the same rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

statesaver wrote: »
    Could the Government just cancel the Junior Cert and use that extra space for social distancing of Leaving Cert students.

That actually is the plan B.
    it will be implemented if normality does not return.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Thanks, I was looking for it from the press conference, didn't realise it was said this morning. Thanks for that

think he also said we are now testing(processing) 2500 per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Obama. And the libtards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Liberals obviously. And China. Never themselves. Never their own stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hardly a surprise, when the poor guy charged with dealing with it all over there has to have round the clock security because of death threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Feel a bit sorry for the carer's who will be asked to go in to nursing homes. From clipping toenails, making tea and bringing in the coal to the front line of the front line.

Wonder which module of the Level 5 covered this?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/families-asked-to-step-in-while-carers-temporarily-deployed-to-plug-staffing-gaps-991833.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Stheno wrote: »
    I thought the median was that half those who died were over that age and half were under?

Is your calculation not the mean?

Mean is the conventional average (I.e. add up all the ages, and divide by the number of patients). Median is the value of the patient in the middle (I.e. the age of the person who is older than 50% of the other patients and younger than 50% of patients. There are statistical reasons for selecting one over the other. If all form a natural cluster within an approximate range (I don’t want to get too technical, but the ages follow normal distribution), then you can use the mean. But if there are a few results which are significantly different than the others results (e.g. the majority of patients are in their 70s, but there are 2 patients under 30), then the mean will be significantly affected by those outliers, and the mean age will not give a true representation of the patient population. In most cases, the distribution is not normal, and hence median is an appropriate descriptive statistic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

China.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

davedanon wrote: »
    Obama. And the libtards.

Kind of reminds me of this story from last week.

“Christian pastor who labelled #COVIDー19 anti-Trump 'mass hysteria' just died from the virus

Landon Spradlin, a musical evangelist and a pastor of several churches over the years, is one of the first deaths of the Covid-19 virus in Virginia.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Is there any history given with today's cases?

Any associated with:
    Travel?
    Clusters?
    Community spread?

• Advertisement

They are doing a great job, one of the best in the world.

I think they are trying to do a good job but the testing situation is not one of the best in the world. Getting the PPE from China was a good move and hopefully we can build capacity in critical care and ICU. The messages to stay in and social distances have been strong.The HSEs inability until today to publish coherent ICU bed numbers was strange and the fact they only publish testing numbers once a week leaves everyone guessing about their motive for this as well as the numbers. A lot of their conferences seem more spin oriented than anything else.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Personally I hope the horse racing "industry" is decimated by this.

Disgusting comment. I’m sure plenty would laugh at you too if you end up out of work or your hobby/pastime was got rid off. I would shed no tear for you anyway with an attitude like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I don’t know about these school examinations going ahead... this is not a normal time for anyone. Past month-2 months has changed Ireland so much.
    There’ll be grandparents, maybe parents, possibly siblings that may possibly die from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I read a few pages back that the PPE that came from china is not great. George Lee put another spin on it saying it wasn't as expected. So what happens now with the PPE. Surely it can't be used if it's not appropriate.

I'm disgusted now at the Chinese if I wasn't before. Can they not have some quality checks before it's sent out?

Is there any back up plan? Maybe factories can help with some cleanroom wear?

owlbethere wrote: »
    I read a few pages back that the PPE that came from china is not great. George Lee put another spin on it saying it wasn't as expected. So what happens now with the PPE. Surely it can't be used if it's not appropriate.

I'm disgusted now at the Chinese if I wasn't before. Can they not have some quality checks before it's sent out?

You read an anonymous post on the internet and you believe it? Any actual links or information to substantiate the claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I think they are trying to do a good job but the testing situation is not one of the best in the world. Getting the PPE from China was a good move and hopefully we can build capacity in critical care and ICU. The messages to stay in and social distances have been strong.The HSEs inability until today to publish coherent ICU bed numbers was strange and the fact they only publish testing numbers once a week leaves everyone guessing about their motive for this as well as the numbers. A lot of their conferences seem more spin oriented than anything else.

Agree, there seems to be tendency among some for it to be black or white, any criticism of how the government has been handling this is dismissed entirely. They have been strong in some areas, but have been lacking in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Just on the CMOs point about lack of people in hospitals, well they clearly think they're better off taking their chances at home. And unless they know that the place they're going to does not have covid patients and staff that have no contact at all, with covid patients, then it's hard to criticise them for not turning up. Also for some, they'd prefer to pass away in the comfort of their own home.

Or that an awful lot of people who usually turn up to hospitals are there on spurious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

The problem with using Chinese manufacturers is that you have to either have a representative in the factory checking it’s what was ordered or be there yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Not as expected, does not mean it doesn't meet the standards. Could have a different feel to it, but could still be appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,739 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont see any mention online anywhere that swabs were sent to Germany and was never mentioned by the CMO. It's not even in RTEs live updates.

If they were sending swabs surely they would say it when asked about capacity and not leave it to Geroge lee to mention on air ?

Have we only one lab here to analysis the tests?

I also have seen nothing on line about tests going to Germany

Or that an awful lot of people who usually turn up to hospitals are there on spurious reasons

I think we always knew that. Too many people turn up because they have mental health issues, substance abuse issues or have injured themselves when drunk. That is my experience of A and E.

People also smoke or eat too much or dont exercise, they end up there eventually.

What do we do about it is the real question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are the 124th most populous country in the world. We are 22nd in number of coronavirus cases.

In reality we are nowhere near 22nd though. Think Ireland really has more cases than INdia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Thailand? Ireland just tests a lot more than most countries

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Tony Holohan said that if you have symptoms and are concerned contact medical professionals as you would usually.

If you have chest pains and think you are having a heart attack don't wait a while to see if it goes away call an ambulance.

They are concerned that people are dieing or are sick from illnesses not related to covid 19. From heart attacks, cancers, strokes and the like.

I had reason to ring my GP today - checked their website first as they are directing you to 2 different forms to fill out first, then they ring you back.

I also checked it last week due to a sick child. Today, a pop up message came up first thing when I opened the page - they are hearing that people are staying away in order not to put medical services under pressure, and they are telling people not to stay away - to contact as usual if they have anything they need checked up and that there are extra resources in the surgery to cover them. It obviously is a noticeable issue and doctors are worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Brazil is on course to be on the worst affected countries. Once measures take effect in europe, the pandemic will be centred on USA, Brazil and Turkey I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christy42 wrote: »
    Liberals obviously. And China. Never themselves. Never their own stupidity.

You say that is if it's only conservatives in fly over states or something who are not social distancing, but that's far from the case:

https://twitter.com/hrtablaze/status/1244664048475492352

https://twitter.com/westmemphispd/status/1244619316886200321

Thousands of people have died in the US and thousands are more likely too. Now's maybe not the best time for the partisan sneering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

I think we always knew that. Too many people turn up because they have mental health issues, substance abuse issues or have injured themselves when drunk. That is my experience of A and E.

People also smoke or eat too much or dont exercise, they end up there eventually.

What do we do about it is the real question?

GP's need to get back to being GP's and not constantly worrying about ambulance chasing solicitors up and down the country. That will sort out a&e and crazy insurance rates once those fcukers are tackled.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Will restrictions be lifted after the 2 weeks expires ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Bobtheman wrote: »

No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Very unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What do you think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement