Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Apologies if this has been discussed already but has there been a shift in the narrative this evening given that:

-numbers currently in ICU are now being given when previously only the cumulative (more dramatic) figures were given.

-The numbers appear to be still well under the ICU bed figures of 255, 350, 500, 1000 (take your pick) that are quoted.

-The majority of people who died did not do so in the ICU.

-Dr Holohan has talked about how empty St James' Hospital is and advised people not to avoid attending hospital if they feel they have something serious wrong with them.

-Anecdotally, in the last few weeks, I have heard of people with potentially serious conditions being discouraged from attending hospital in anticipation of the Covid-19 surge.

Putting all of this together, I wonder is there a fear that the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater - has there been an over zealous clearout of hospitals or an over zealous reaction by the general public.

I wonder have nursing home patients with Covid-19 been turned away from hospital and sent back to their homes, effectively to die, for fear of them taking up a bed in anticipation of a surge in cases which may have been overestimated (if the majority of people who test positive for Covid-19 are relatively young, a large proportion of positive cases may not need hospital, let alone ICU)

(I'm aware that even in non Covid-19 times, there would be valid ethical reasons for not admitting very elderly people with serious underlying conditions to an ICU)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Global cases will pass the 1M mark very shortly.

Are you getting that from WHO? If so is that 1m mark for just the novel Covid19 strain or all strains of the Coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Will restrictions be lifted after the 2 weeks expires ??

I'm imagine about 5% chance of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Bolsonaro is a cnut of the highest order. When this is over i hope they take him out and lynch him. Destroy the Amazon, destroy his own people. He's as bad as any virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed already but has there been a shift in the narrative this evening given that:

-numbers currently in ICU are now being given when previously only the cumulative (more dramatic) figures were given.

-The numbers appear to be still well under the ICU bed figures of 255, 350, 500, 1000 (take your pick) that are quoted.

-The majority of people who died did not do so in the ICU.

-Dr Holohan has talked about how empty St James' Hospital is and advised people not to avoid attending hospital if they feel they have something serious wrong with them.

-Anecdotally, in the last few weeks, I have heard of people with potentially serious conditions being discouraged from attending hospital in anticipation of the Covid-19 surge.

Putting all of this together, I wonder is there a fear that the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater - has there been an over zealous clearout of hospitals or an over zealous reaction by the general public.

I wonder have nursing home patients with Covid-19 been turned away from hospital and and sent back to their homes, effectively to die, for fear of them taking up a bed in anticipation of a surge in cases which may have been overestimated (if the majority of people who test positive for Covid-19 are relatively young, a large proportion of positive cases may not need hospital, let alone ICU)

(I'm aware that even in non Covid-19 times, there would be valid ethical reasons for not admitting very elderly people with serious underlying conditions to an ICU)

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Jizique

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    The problem with using Chinese manufacturers is that you have to either have a representative in the factory checking it’s what was ordered or be there yourself!

Is that not what Paddy Cosgrave is for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

wakka12 wrote: »
    Brazil is on course to be on the worst affected countries. Once measures take effect in europe, the pandemic will be centred on USA, Brazil and Turkey I would imagine

I think India will overtake everywhere being honest. As for mass graves, you don’t need to go to Brazil their digging them in Northern Ireland at the moment in Antrim I believe. This will get a helluva lot worse before it gets better, I don’t know what we’re going to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

4_192_0.jpg?itok=G19vsjFI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

boardz wrote: »
    On average I prefer the median

Not very a la mode is it though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

me89 wrote: »
    No chance

Don’t think it’s likely, hopefully mid May they might lift some (imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Not as expected, does not mean it doesn't meet the standards. Could have a different feel to it, but could still be appropriate.

And that's exactly what was said, leo mentioned it in his press conference he said there might be a different look or feel to what our healthcare professionals are used too but it is being quality chekced

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What do you think

No I don't. But I'd like if they took a longer term view than 2 week announcements. I think they need to get clarity to leaving cert students about June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

When are they supposed to be lifted, April 12th ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,739 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The magician Dynamo has tested positive, he is on immunosuppressive therapy, has Crohn’s disease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You say that is if it's only conservatives in fly over states or something who are not social distancing, but that's far from the

Thousands of people have died in the US and thousands are more likely too. Now's maybe not the best time for the partisan sneering.

Oh, stop pretending that you are looking at things objectively yourself. The first half of your post says otherwise in its whataboutery. You’re points-scoring as much as anybody else.

What do you know about the political affiliations of the people captured in those videos? It’s likely a mix of political hues, even if they are east or west coast locations. One of the locations is in Arkansas too. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

There's a reason the covid payment is for 12 weeks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

me89 wrote: »
    No chance
    Very unlikely
    What do you think

This staying at home is really starting to kick in. I'm going crazy here. I was reading a mental health document which said it's okay to talk to the walls, plants and pets but if they starting talking back to you get in contact with a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No I don't. But I'd like if they took a longer term view than 2 week announcements. I think they need to get clarity to leaving cert students about June.

They in fairness to them can't do that as a lot of people just can't cope with it. Look at the reaction of some already to being told to stay at home and watch TV and only leave home for food and short walks and it's only been a couple of weeks. You tell people now that this is at the very least going to last until July and they just don't have the personal responsibility or sense of civic pride to do it.

1057 new cases and 57 deaths today in Brazil.

Going to be a big disaster there due to the actions (or rather inactions) of the country's president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

How can they when no one knows what's going to happen. Let's say Leo came out and said LC is cancelled, and then come start of June we somehow didn't have many cases folk be saying that it should never be cancelled.

I wonder would there be appetite from colleges/schools etc to work together and push the LC to say Sept/Oct and push college year from January to July and forget about reading week etc, and not have 14 hour weeks - ramp it up a bit. Now I know some courses do more work - but got to look at ways around this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lots of farmers burning rubbish and backyard burning now.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    They in fairness to them can't do that as a lot of people just can't cope with it. Look at the reaction of some already to being told to stay at home and watch TV and only leave home for food and short walks and it's only been a couple of weeks. You tell people now that this is at the very least going to last until July and they just don't have the personal responsibility or sense of civic pride to do it.

Do you see this going on that long ? How long were Schools closed in China? How long were they in lock down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Where ?

Do you see this going on that long ? How long were Schools closed in China? How long were they in lock down?

I would be shocked if schools open again before September

statesaver wrote: »
    Where ?

in their backyard:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This staying at home is really starting to kick in. I'm going crazy here. I was reading a mental health document which said it's okay to talk to the walls, plants and pets but if they starting talking back to you get in contact with a professional.
    My hall table agrees.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How long did the chinese lock down?

statesaver wrote: »
    Where ?

Between Dub and Cork.
    Mate of mine who travels that route for work saw numerous smoke plumes and it ain't Native Americans communicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

screamer wrote: »
    I think India will overtake everywhere being honest. As for mass graves, you don’t need to go to Brazil their digging them in Northern Ireland at the moment in Antrim I believe. This will get a helluva lot worse before it gets better, I don’t know what we’re going to do

Where in Antrim?

If they are digging them there, then they should be digging them here too. Reason? We are neck and neck with them in terms of total population to covid death ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Wibbs wrote: »
    My hall table agrees.

I've started changing around the furniture for a different view. I'm going to sleep in a different bedroom in my house tonight so that I see a different four walls when I wake up in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

1057 new cases and 57 deaths today in Brazil.

Going to be a big disaster there due to the actions (or rather inactions) of the country's president.

I figure that's Bolsonaro, Trump, Boris, The Belurissian idiot and Erdogan that underplayed it and failed to take adequate action in the face of glaring evidence.

Quite the grouping of leaders today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's the time of year for farm rubbish burning. It's under license and to set times and dates. Happens here in early April every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Between Dub and Cork.
    Mate of mine who travels that route for work saw numerous smoke plumes and it ain't Native Americans communicating.

who gives a fk?

who gives a fk?

Obviously you did to make a comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

macmahon wrote: »
    Are you getting that from WHO? If so is that 1m mark for just the novel Covid19 strain or all strains of the Coronavirus?

Worldometers.
    That's novel cv cases confirmed by pcr test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The magician Dynamo has tested positive, he is on immunosuppressive therapy, has Crohn’s disease

Seems he's over the worst of it, has somehow made the virus disappear.

The "care packages" being sent to South Korean citizens practicing self isolation in the community are quite something!

EUd-VD7U0AA9diq?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://twitter.com/chin_sunshine/status/1245081084804685824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

eddie73 wrote: »
    Where in Antrim?

If they are digging them there, then they should be digging them here too. Reason? We are neck and neck with them in terms of total population to covid death ratio.

Sixmilebridge in Antrim google it there you’ll find the articles. 50 graves dug. I heard it on the radio today together with news that they’re looking at some centre in Belfast to open one of those “nightingale” hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Why are RTE reporting median ages of deaths and cases ? why not averages ?

• Advertisement

Obviously you did to make a comment.

He doesn't give a fcuk about the rubbish burning, but gives a fcuk about people condemning it.

In fairness, if farmers are burning stuff, or anyone is for that mater, surly there are bigger issues to worry about at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Where in Antrim?

Sounds like rubbish to me. I'd be very surprised if we pass 500 deaths here. Certainly not mass grave scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seems he's over the worst of it, has somehow made the virus disappear.

Well if he can do this:

London2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Between Dub and Cork.

Could be cowboys?

threeball wrote: »
    Sounds like rubbish to me. I'd be very surprised if we pass 500 deaths here. Certainly not mass grave scenarios.

Early days to say that, but I hope you are right.

For all our social distancing and restrictions compared to NI, how come we are neck and neck with them in terms of death per capita?

Better for skewed distribution dataset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

How are Australia faring so we’ll? Is it lack of testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Because its felt to be more accurate as due to the relatively small number of deaths a small number of outliers distort the mean by too much.

Personally I would prefer both be provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i thought it was cumulative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭celt262

Early days to say that, but I hope you are right.

For all our social distancing and restrictions compared to NI, how come we are neck and neck with them in terms of death per capita?

Are these nursing homes in Dublin that got infected a cause I wonder for a lot of these deaths.

He doesn't give a fcuk about the rubbish burning, but gives a fcuk about people condemning it.

In fairness, if farmers are burning stuff, or anyone is for that mater, surly there are bigger issues to worry about at the moment.

Calm down big fella.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement