Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

screamer wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge in Antrim google it there you’ll find the articles. 50 graves dug. I heard it on the radio today together with news that they’re looking at some centre in Belfast to open one of those “nightingale” hospitals

Saw that on Channel 4 news.
    The reason the Council are digging so many graves is in case their workers get sick and are not available to dig them when they are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Wow. Over 400 infected. Hard to know what to think now. I've a feeling this lockdown will be extended by another 7 days at least. I thought looking at the figures we were doing better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Worldometers.
    That's novel cv cases confirmed by pcr test.

Worldometers says Coronavirus Cases:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Median age of latest deaths is 92.

That's highest ever heard. Old folks home deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Feel a bit sorry for the carer's who will be asked to go in to nursing homes. From clipping toenails, making tea and bringing in the coal to the front line of the front line.

Wonder which module of the Level 5 covered this?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/families-asked-to-step-in-while-carers-temporarily-deployed-to-plug-staffing-gaps-991833.html
    Actually, when I think about this, it could be folly. Possibly the least qualified staff put into the most volatile of situations. Lambs to the slaughter.

Probably the administrators feel there is no option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

macmahon wrote: »

Then they go on to say "The coronavirus COVID-19..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Italian deaths Jan to March 2019 = 185,000

Italian deaths Jan to March 2010 = 165,000

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

bennyl10 wrote: »
    If only 14 deaths are form ICU
    Just how many have been in nursing homes? How bad is that situation looking now we have that figure

I get the feeling given the very high average age of those who died
    and the fact that so few actually even passed through ICU that a lot of them

were in Care Homes. They have also expressed concerns about clusters in Care Homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Do you see this going on that long ? How long were Schools closed in China? How long were they in lock down?

We aren't China. Have you seen what they did to control this? We are still letting flights in from different countries and people aren't even bothering with masks ffs. We aren't taking this seriously enough but then again few are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

screamer wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge in Antrim google it there you’ll find the articles. 50 graves dug. I heard it on the radio today together with news that they’re looking at some centre in Belfast to open one of those “nightingale” hospitals

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/coronavirus-grim-outlook-as-lines-of-graves-are-dug-in-northern-ireland-cemetery-39092735.html

That is grim looking in fairness. Even with the rationale of preparedness. Must admit I did not believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's Covid19.
    They're not testing for any other type of Coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The "care packages" being sent to South Korean citizens practicing self isolation in the community are quite something!

EUd-VD7U0AA9diq?format=jpg&name=100x100

https://twitter.com/chin_sunshine/status/1245081084804685824

Not a spud or carrot to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I figure that's Bolsonaro, Trump, Boris, The Belurissian idiot and Erdogan that underplayed it and failed to take adequate action in the face of glaring evidence.

Quite the grouping of leaders today.

Someone pointed this out to me the other night - it seems Turkey actually did more than almost any other country to shield themselves from Covid, but were unlucky to find themselves next door to Iran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Turkey

I know, I know, it's wikipedia. I'd rather have a better source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Quite an informative thread and yes, copy South Korea.

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1245653588434542592?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tinned food though

giphy.gif

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Then they go on to say "The coronavirus COVID-19..."

Could you link me to that page just to make sure we are on the same page. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wow. Over 400 infected. Hard to know what to think now. I've a feeling this lockdown will be extended by another 7 days at least. I thought looking at the figures we were doing better.

Countries in mainland Europe followed a similar pattern of numbers. Up one day, down the next, up, down, up and down, then up, up, up, up and up.

There really is no room whatsoever for complacency.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Median age of latest deaths is 92.

That's highest ever heard. Old folks home deaths?
    Example:
    25, 32, 37, 43, 46, 54, 92, 92, 93, 93, 93, 94, 94

Being a median it's high value can mask much lower values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So rodays announced infected number were tests done 10 days ago

Is that correct

• Advertisement

Could you link me to that page just to make sure we are on the same page. Thanks

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Will be more than likely until late June we are delaying the peak atm. Maybe easing it somewhat in between. Their will be another outbreak when we lift restrictions as seen in Asia. Its going to be a long process. At least we have a small population and the virus can move through the community relatively quickly.If we do this effectively we can save alot of lives and jobs hopefully. Good progress being made on treatments and a vaccine trials look promising. I think its important for people's mental health to be realistic about expectations for the next few months. It will take until 2022 until we can put this behind us. Until then as a society we need to accept this. Experts haven't really been saying this more than likely would cause panic, riots and upheaval

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's Covid19.
    They're not testing for any other type of Coronavirus.

Could you link me to where it says that? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

MipMap wrote: »
    I get the feeling given the very high average age of those who died
    and the fact that so few actually even passed through ICU that a lot of them

were in Care Homes. They have also expressed concerns about clusters in Care Homes.

According to George Lee on the news just now the median age of those in ICU is 67. I would imagine that it is only those likely to benefit at all, that go to ICU.

:rolleyes:
    Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country, Territory, or Conveyance
    The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 204 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And when they get sick who will they blame?

obama?

• Advertisement

Are you being serious? Why on earth would they be doing otherwise. This has to be a leg pull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So rodays announced infected number were tests done 10 days ago

Is that correct

A small minority of tests in today's number would have been tested 10 days ago. Test results are prioritised for hospital cases and higher risk groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

How are Australia faring so we’ll? Is it lack of testing?

Doubt it, was reading about a week ago that they had carried out 180,000 tests at that stage

In hindsight this probably was not the best idea at the time

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1224661041495212032

It doesn't, but other Coronaviruses cause mild respiratory symptoms like the common cold. Nowhere tests for them. These tests are for CV19

• Advertisement

Anyone see that bit on the 9pm news of the food deliveries. No one observed social distance. Handing food crates/bags to each other.

here's more breakdown for those median average conversations.

Again ICU much more distributed. You really need to factor in time in ICU. You really need all the data to draw conclusions. Time since admitted etc + age.

508020.png

Millennials can't peel spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

saabsaab wrote: »
    Could be cowboys?

Or fire Injuns ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,790 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Spain were up to bullsh1t too

https://twitter.com/Keirnoth/status/1244780173091692544

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

We don’t have to peel sweet potatoes.

:rolleyes:

Thankyou

Anyone see that bit on the 9pm news of the food deliveries. No one observed social distance. Handing food crates/bags to each other.

Yep, shocking.

Would have been easy to leave on the ground for the person to pick up. The old woman shouldn't have come outside until everyone was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yep, shocking.

Would have been easy to leave on the ground for the person to pick up. The old woman shouldn't have come outside until everyone was gone.

It was a photo op, she had to come out.

North Korea insists it has zero Covid-19 cases
    North Korea remains totally free of the coronavirus, a senior health official in Pyongyang has insisted, despite mounting scepticism overseas as known cases of infection topped one million worldwide.
    The country quickly shut down its borders after the virus was first detected in neighbouring China in January, and imposed strict containment measures.
    Pak Myong Su, director of the anti-epidemic department of the North's Central Emergency Anti-epidemic Headquarters, insisted that the efforts had been completely successful.
    "Not one single person has been infected with the novel coronavirus in our country so far," he told AFP.
    "We have carried out preemptive and scientific measures such as inspections and quarantine for all personnel entering our country and thoroughly disinfecting all goods, as well as closing borders and blocking sea and air lanes."

Yeah, right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Example:
    25, 32, 37, 43, 46, 54, 92, 92, 93, 93, 93, 94, 94

Being a median it's high value can mask much lower values.

It's a bit of a useless figure then is your example was real.

It would be big news that 5 people under 50 had died, but just telling you the median age tells you little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

What happened in France today..

2116 new cases and 1355 new deaths in France [source]

Here's the cluster breakdown.
    Loads in hospitals and nursing homes especially in the east.
    Great report from the health protection surveillance centre.

can be found here daily.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/

508023.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It might has seem a nice sentiment but I wonder how many cases were spread unwittingly in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In fairness, very little was known about the virus and transmission at that stage. There was talk from scientists you would need to spend around 15 minutes with a person before you could catch Covid from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

BCG? Is that a vaccine we got when small?

Three needles in your left arm. Still have the marks.
    Like a little triangle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why are RTE reporting median ages of deaths and cases ? why not averages ?

Mean is the sum of value for each item divided by number of items. It is appropriate for normal distributions where there is continuous values. (For example - weights of product in a package).

Median is the value where 50% of the values is above and 50% is below the median. It is appropriate for situation of non-continuous values where outliers would distort the result by having the outlier has too much influence. For example if a football team f 15 players were all 20 - 22 years old except the goalkeeper who was 50 years old. The median would be 21 whatever the goalkeeper's age was but the average would be 23 if he was 50.

The other value is the mode. That is the most common - most popular if you like.

Median is the best to use in this case.

EDIT: this already mentioned by Naggdefy

France has just officially broken smashed the new death figures for a day after including nursing home deaths.

+1355

Yeah, right!
    Who knows but with their type of government i.e very little freedom and also their restrictions on going abroad they are better equipped than most.

• Advertisement

Technically Im a millennial and I can peel a spud, I made a sweet potato curry lastnight.
    I think the definition is flexible though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement