Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

That French total shatters every death total worldwide. And from a relatively low infection rate compared to US and peak Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,005 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Technically Im a millennial and I can peel a spud, I made a sweet potato curry lastnight.
    I think the definition is flexible though

Technically i'm a frog and I can't peel a spud either.

I think the definition is flexible though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Naggdefy wrote: »
    What happened in France today..

2116 new cases and 1355 new deaths in France [source]

I can't find a source now, but a change in counting methodology, and those new deaths weren't all in the past 24h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

800+ deaths in nursing homes due to coronavirus that they conveniently forgot to report before, so a huge spike that’s not really a spike. BTW we have people dying in nursing homes here too who are not even being sent to hospitals and I’ve no idea if these deaths are reported in our official figures either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

That French total shatters every death total worldwide. And from a relatively low infection rate compared to US and peak Italy.

Was it more about adding deaths from the nursing homes from previous days to the total than an actual daily total?

Can anyone clarify before it is overhyped please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

EDIT: this already mentioned by Naggdefy

France has just officially broken smashed the new death figures for a day after including nursing home deaths.

+1355

Why would they not have included nursing home deaths before now.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Who knows but with their type of government i.e very little freedom and also their restrictions on going abroad they are better equipped than most.

Huge contacts with China though.

Didn’t they add the cumulative nursing home totals from the last few days to the number today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Clown professor on Prime Time still trying to argue masks don't work and the fool public would end up infecting themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Roger_007 wrote: »

Different method of recording deaths. Nursing home deaths don't occur in hospitals so weren't being picked up.

It's the same in other areas too, the UK for example.

• Advertisement

No country has been.

I'm a Neanderthal and I eat them skin and all ;) Peeling is time consuming. (having said that I've a fair bit of time on my hands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

They've removed the breakdown for health care worker transmission.

Hope they don't remove anything else tomorrow. :/

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/COVID-19%20Epidemiology%20report%20for%20NPHET%2001.04.2020_website%20version.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No cases in North Korea?? What’s their secret?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It doesn't, but other Coronaviruses cause mild respiratory symptoms like the common cold. Nowhere tests for them. These tests are for CV19

So if the test comes back negative for CV19 then you should just presume that if your feeling unwell with symptoms then you just have a different strain of coronavirus then. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Because it would look bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

macmahon wrote: »
    So if the test comes back negative for CV19 then you should just presume that if your feeling unwell with symptoms then you just have a different strain of coronavirus then. Thanks

Or it could be flu

MadYaker wrote: »

How do yo know how many cases there are in NK?

EUoFVMyWoAAhK9T?format=jpg&name=900x900

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I can't find a source now, but a change in counting methodology, and those new deaths weren't all in the past 24h

To add, from guardian blog:

French death toll rises by 471
    The number of coronavirus deaths in hospitals in France has reached 4,503, an increase of 471 in 24 hours, slightly fewer than in previous days, Kim Willsher reports from Paris.

Added to the figure, however, are an estimated 884 deaths in retirement and care homes given for the first time. The head of France’s national health authority, Jérôme Salomon, also said the figures from non-hospital health establishments were only partial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Not a good day for frogs

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

screamer wrote: »
    800+ deaths in nursing homes due to coronavirus that they conveniently forgot to report before, so a huge spike that’s not really a spike. BTW we have people dying in nursing homes here too who are not even being sent to hospitals and I’ve no idea if these deaths are reported in our official figures either.

They are in fact : Dr Holohan says they are recording all nursing home deaths

Or any other mild respiratory illness. Could be bacterial. Or another virus. Many agents can cause cold like or flu like symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

cnocbui wrote: »

They were being advised by Donald Trump at an early stage on how to deal with the virus............you just call it flu, and then nobody gets coronavirus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RTE talking about the pros and cons of masks.
    Unsurprisingly, the virologist from Trinity slow to recommend them while many countries now recommending/mandating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Whats this lady on primetime got against masks.

They thought us how to wash our hands

They thought us how to keep our distance

They can teach us how to wear a f00king mask

If a lot of other countries release nursing home deaths like France, it will be sobering to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Clown professor on Prime Time still trying to argue masks don't work and the fool public would end up infecting themselves.

They are giving them out free to people in other countries. In Ireland they apparently are charging 8 euro for a single crappy cloth one in the pharmacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There will be a huge surge next week due to tests being shipped to Germany for analysis. That will interfere with reporting figures

cnocbui wrote: »

The Leader has spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Simple chart of COVID-19 deaths in Ireland since 11th. March.

Black Total
    Green East
    Red South
    Blue West
    Yellow N. West

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wibbs wrote: »
    My hall table agrees.

Whatever you do, don't listen to the loo, it talks s***e.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

screamer wrote: »
    Was it more about adding deaths from the nursing homes from previous days to the total than an actual daily total?
    Can anyone clarify before it is overhyped please ?

It might look like a spike because it was only added today in one go, but it doesn't change the fact that these are still people who died with/because of Covid19. And I do think that if lots of those who died with Covid19 had not caught it, they would have in all likelihood lived a good few years more, so, to me, they died because of Covid19.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because they deal with infected cases the same way the Daleks would. No living infected cases, nothing to report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

That line is orange not red

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    In fairness, very little was known about the virus and transmission at that stage. There was talk from scientists you would need to spend around 15 minutes with a person before you could catch Covid from them.

That is only if they didn't cough or sneeze in that time. If they do either of those uncovered, you get it 0.1 second later, never mind 15 min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Gael23 wrote: »
    There will be a huge surge next week due to tests being shipped to Germany for analysis. That will interfere with reporting figures

That's a good thing, we will get more accurate figures of who is positive.

As Tony said the numbers are more about knowing who to use contact tracing on to identify more people to be tested/self isolate.

Are you saying it is a bad thing to have more data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

It's simply bull**** like I always thought.
    If they'd just be straight that it's a supply issue I'd have far more respect for them.

If a lot of other countries release nursing home deaths like France, it will be sobering to say the least.

The Economist had an article on this today actually (not just nursing homes)

https://twitter.com/J_CD_T/status/1245739663421292544

splinter65 wrote: »
    The Leader has spoken

Sounds more like 4 gunshots than intelligible speech.

• Advertisement

I'm thankful to be in my mid 40s.

I don't fear growing old for dying. I fear it for the loss of control I'll have over the fundamentals of life. I fear it for the loss of dignity, others cleaning me, helping me with going to the toilet, or when I can't make the toilet.

I want to live to a mobile self sufficient 100 and die in my sleep with a clear conscience. Am I asking for too much :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Or it could be flu

Yes thankyou. I think it is very important for people to be very mindful of all wording that all media use during a plandemic. Coronavirus is just not Covid19 it also can be flu and just a cold (SARS),(MERS) etc, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

It's simply bull**** like I always thought.
    If they'd just be straight that it's a supply issue I'd have far more respect for them.

Yeah, like a lot of people I think if masks were in plentiful supply they’d be advising us to wear them.

That's a good thing, we will get more accurate figures of who is positive.

As Tony said the numbers are more about knowing who to use contact tracing on to identify more people to be tested/self isolate.

Are you saying it is a bad thing to have more data?

Depending when the tests were done, some of the patients are likely well on the way to recovery but being reported as new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That French figure is kind of scary.

That French figure is kind of scary.

My brother is in France near the Swiss border he and his two little girls have had it and were quite sick but his wife didn’t get it at all, or if she did she had just an irritating cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

The bit I don't get is the assumption that the mask will end up covered in virus and fiddling with it will infect you. If it gets virus on it then it is really dangerous but that virus would have got onto your face if you had not been wearing it. You are still cutting the odds down by wearing it.

To me it is an insurance policy.

And of course you are right about the "training" BS. 3 or 4 steps and you are done.

Of course you have to continue with all the other measures.

Milan has shut its crematorium as it can no longer meet demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes thankyou. I think it is very important for people to be very mindful of all wording that all media use during a plandemic. Coronavirus is just not Covid19 it also can be flu and just a cold (SARS),(MERS) etc, etc

Influenza is not a coronavirus. Where ate you going with all this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement