Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5DhJS5hGWc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2jswNbrmtxO8-Q-OnoxhZU8NWHYRwYcYzUd_-_tg6eGzlA42hvin5uJlw

The artist has signed over copyright so all royalties go to hospital in bergamo.
    Renacerai.
    I will reborn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    A team from University College London (UCL) and University College London Hospital (UCLH) have worked with Mercedes Formula One to adapt and improve existing CPAP in a process known as reverse engineering.
    The lawyers are going to have field day when this is over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So when they raised it to 2 or more symptoms, they are going to get a much higher hit rate even with testing the same number of people.
    That was before the change, we have had similar enough figures every day since it was changed, as regards infections, and that isn't going to tell us anything because we are testing under 2k people per day.
    Lots of top mathematicians out there but none of them seem to take into account how low our testing numbers per day are.
    We probably will never know how many people were infected due to the low testing numbers. I did a guesstimate based on people movement versus % infection and my figure is way higher than what anybody else is saying. I was coming up with circa 98k infected and close to 5k deaths. Deaths so high because of our low number of ICU beds. If you like ok at the hardest hit countries their death rates spiralled when they ran out of ICU beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jin luk wrote: »
    Olympics giving green light to go ahead,

Cant end good surely.

It’s in 2021 you know 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Cant end good surely.

In July 2021 - do you think that's too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Someone should really inform them about our guidelines. CMO said they don't work.Seriously what is wrong with people. I'm so fake outraged right now.

It completely makes sense for EVERYONE to wear masks as this reduces the chances of transmission in people who do not have symptoms. Everyone in South Korea wears a mask. We just don’t have enough for everyone to use so I would imagine they are being kept for healthcare workers as they are more vulnerable to being exposed. Wearing masks reduces the risk of you infecting others and makes sense if we had the resources to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

So, on the masks, and it seems like they are clearly recommended by most countries at this stage.

If you are social distancing, avoiding surfaces and washing hands, the residual risk is really in places like a supermarket for a short period of time yes? The South Korea expert (great video by the way) did imply that outside in the open air there wasn't much risk once people were not congregating for periods of time.

Yes mostly indoor or outdoor if you are in close proximity.

It isn’t just supermarkets though. Amongst the things I can thing of, if someone lives in an apartment block the common areas are for exemple a potential vector. Particularly if you are getting on a lift which is a small enclosed area - if someone who is contagious was coughing on the lift earlier in the day you could still have traces of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Cant end good surely.

In 2021...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think so. Apparently it had to return to the Airport. Its such an Irish story.

what do mean an Irish story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Cant end good surely.

yes in 2021 not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

It’s in 2021 you know 😂

Oh damn, this lack of sleep is hitting me now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A UK Govt opinion poll (not intended for publication) indicates that 65% of people in NI are 'extremely worried' or 'very worried' about Covid-19.

It's a very stressful time for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

what do men an Irish story?

I just find it ironic that a plane being sent for supplies had a bird strike and had to return to the Airport. Its just our luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Strazdas wrote: »
    A UK Govt opinion poll (not intended for publication) indicates that 65% of people in NI are 'extremely worried' or 'very worried' about Covid-19.
    And mostly about the other 35%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I just find it ironic that a plane being sent for supplies had a bird strike and had to return to the Airport. Its just our luck.

It's not remotely ironic. It just happens. I'm not sure why everything Irish has to be run down.

• Advertisement

To sum up the testing being performed now is sufficient while we are in lockdown and the risk of spread is greatly reduced.

You have no idea what the testing and lab performance is so how can you say it is sufficient ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Didnt realise the birds were on strike !!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 30 March 2020 @ 08:00 hrs

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-30-03-2020.png?itok=ryFjj8oE

A welcome fall in the numbers today... maybe even a peak ?

Hopefully not a glitch, time will tell.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The day is not over let and many counties have not released their final numbers so this chart is meaningless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I hate that word ‘cocooning’. Let’s call it what it is, it’s effectively the imprisonment of the most vulnerable and fragile people in society and for those who live alone, it’s solitary confinement. We may argue all we like that it’s for the greater good but we cannot ignore the damage that’s being done to the mental health of those who have to suffer it. Isn’t it ironic that in the penal systems of most countries, solitary confinement is not used any more because it is deemed to be too mentally destructive.
    One of the, (possibly unintended), consequences of the present policy is if it successful we will end up with a cohort of people who will not be allowed to see the light of day until the disease is completely eradicated, (or a vaccine developed), because they will have no immunity.

cocoon or die would be the choice for many, I wonder which the majority will pick

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    The day is not over let and many counties have not released their final numbers so this chart is meaningless

Yeah the chart is up to 8am of today still a long way to go in the day still

• Advertisement

And you're going to a festival in Amsterdam in July?

A not entirely inconsistent position if he believes the current measure will remove all travel restrictions by July

syngindub wrote: »
    Didnt realise the birds were on strike !!

Yeah. Apparently they want the Avian Flu to be treated as seriously as COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

It's not remotely ironic. It just happens. I'm not sure why everything Irish has to be run down.

Plus i'd imagine there are a lot more birds around now with the lack of humans/aircraft, they must be struggling for food as they don't have as much of our waste that usually gets littered about the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

frillyleaf wrote: »
    It completely makes sense for EVERYONE to wear masks as this reduces the chances of transmission in people who do not have symptoms. Everyone in South Korea wears a mask. We just don’t have enough for everyone to use so I would imagine they are being kept for healthcare workers as they are more vulnerable to being exposed. Wearing masks reduces the risk of you infecting others and makes sense if we had the resources to do this

I guess it's like Irish water in many ways. We pay tax for water because we need it and will die if we don't have it. They spent 70 million to try and convince us to pay for a basic necessity even though it was covered by taxation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-consultants-3183868-Jan2017/

Why can't the spend 70 makey up millions on PPE to halt the spread of this virus?

The water falls from the sky.

marno21 wrote: »
    Bird strike was on takeoff - immediately returned to airport.

Reduction in flights meaning birds are no longer avoiding flight paths?

Things tend to compound in a bad situation. We wouldn't even notice that on a normal day. Imagine we only had one plane. We'd be fvcked but you can't plan for that.

You have no idea what the testing and lab performance is so how can you say it is sufficient ?

I mean the strategy of testing people who show the main symptoms is sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's going to happen now in the Netherlands?
    Their ICUs are effectively full.
    https://www.covid-19.no/netherlands-905-out-of-925-icu-beds-in-use

Are they going to do Italian/Spanish triaging or do they have another plan?
    Weren't they also going the herd route at some stage?
    Are they still?

Why can't the spend 70 makey up millions on PPE to halt the spread of this virus?

Money isn’t the problem though. Pretty much every government and every human being on this planet wants masks at the moment. There simply isn’t enough supply.

Cant end good surely.

In July 2021

• Advertisement

I remember arguing on here with certain people because they were saying masks are useless. Now a lot of governments are bring in mask policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 30 March 2020 @ 08:00 hrs

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-30-03-2020.png?itok=ryFjj8oE

A welcome fall in the numbers today... maybe even a peak ?

Hopefully not a glitch, time will tell.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Just like the fall on the 15th, 17th, 21st and 23rd signalled that we had beaten this thing.. :rolleyes:

Also, didn't yesterday only have 23 hours?

Yeah the chart is up to 8am of today still a long way to go in the day still

Unless the chert is published as of 8am every day it is entirely meaningless

I mean the strategy of testing people who show the main symptoms is sufficient.

Strategy may be good and the hope to have 10000 test per day may be good, but in reality the only figures I have seen seem to indicate that we may have the capacity to test only 1200 and in actuality be testing only 700. By testing I mean testing and processing those tests. As they haven't published figures and only give aspirational numbers we do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So, on the masks, and it seems like they are clearly recommended by most countries at this stage.

If you are social distancing, avoiding surfaces and washing hands, the residual risk is really in places like a supermarket for a short period of time yes? The South Korea expert (great video by the way) did imply that outside in the open air there wasn't much risk once people were not congregating for periods of time.

Not in general by the WHO, who our authorities are following.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I remember arguing on here with certain people because they were saying masks are useless. Now a lot of governments are bring in mask policies.

As someone said before they will say masks are useful when they have enough of a supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come Prince Charles , or Boris, or Tom Hanks didn't end up dead. All older, all unfit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

josip wrote: »
    What's going to happen now in the Netherlands?
    Their ICUs are effectively full.
    https://www.covid-19.no/netherlands-905-out-of-925-icu-beds-in-use

Weren't they also going the herd route at some stage?
    Are they still?

Doctors will have to make the kind of decisions that i wouldn't wish on anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

josip wrote: »

Nope ... They have enough beds and can move people to Germany if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

frillyleaf wrote: »
    You can still tell people to make their own. Your argument is invalid.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Money isn’t the problem though. Pretty much every government and every human being on this planet wants masks at the moment. There simply isn’t enough supply.

I disagree. Masks are everywhere in china now because they have beaten the virus so they have so much stock. When the virus hit China so many factories started to produce PPE and now that the virus is ended in China they are selling this equipment internationally.

So many of my friends on wechat are selling masks, medical suits and even ventilators in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

How come Prince Charles , or Boris, or Tom Hanks didn't end up dead. All older, all unfit .

The Italian statistics show that only 2.1 % of all people who have died from Covid-19 have no underlying conditions. All age groups.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just like the fall on the 15th, 17th, 21st and 23rd signalled that we had beaten this thing.. :rolleyes:

Also, didn't yesterday only have 23 hours?

Yep these charts are to be looked at with extreme caution - France looks like it has stabilised if you look at the chart but it is completely missleading. What really happened is that due to a lack of test kits, since last week only people with heavy respiratory symptoms and who are in high risk groups are being tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Briefing today at 5.45pm. Modelling included.

See Richard Chambers or Fergal Bowers Twitter page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

This is obviously nonsense but what exactly do the conspiracy folk think is happening here, who do they think is benefiting from everyone staying at home and a population in fear that seemingly every government in the world is collaborating in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

froog wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127300-coronavirus-analysis-ireland-cases/

seems like half our "clusters" are in either hospitals or nursing homes.
    The clusters in nursing homes has exploded in the past week - seeing as they have been isolated for over 3 weeks infected staff must be considered the source of the outbreaks.

Health Minister says everything cannot go ‘back to normal’ after Easter Sunday
    According to Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) data, Covid-19 clusters were reported in three residential settings and 17 nursing homes,

The nursing home clusters account for 22% of the total number of clusters outbreaks in the Republic.

CEO of Nursing Homes Ireland Tadgh Daly told RTE radio representatives from the nursing home sector he will meet Mr Harris on Monday afternoon.

Mr Daly said: “We’re somewhat concerned the HSE is still recruiting people from our sector and one of our asks of the Minister today will be to desist recruiting people who are already working on the frontline.

It's like a plot line in a disaster movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s because of the news and media that makes you think that way. They only report doom and gloom and deaths. The majority of people who get the virus will be ok.

It’s like the house party in Longford that had 80 people at it, the reality was there was approx 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

statesaver wrote: »

So the message appears to be in that picture that neither doctors or police are practising social distancing!!
    Disgraceful

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement