Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Gael23 wrote: »
    Depending when the tests were done, some of the patients are likely well on the way to recovery but being reported as new cases

I think you are looking for comfort in the confirmed cases total.

The actual cases out there will be multiples of this so not really comforting when you look at the reality that the confirmed cases are limited by our lack of testing.

I would rather see the reality than feeling comfort from focusing on an inaccurate/irrelevant number.

statesaver wrote: »
    Saw that on Channel 4 news.
    The reason the Council are digging so many graves is in case their workers get sick and are not available to dig them when they are needed.

Ah sure they won't go to waste anyway. Someone will drop into them eventually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

That's a good thing, we will get more accurate figures of who is positive.

As Tony said the numbers are more about knowing who to use contact tracing on to identify more people to be tested/self isolate.

Are you saying it is a bad thing to have more data?

Test from Ireland are being shipped to Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's simply bull**** like I always thought.
    If they'd just be straight that it's a supply issue I'd have far more respect for them.

"They've" been acknowledging supply issues from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Highly recommend reading this lengthy health based US article. From a few days ago but offers interesting insight into the future.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

zidane-headbutt-gif.gif
    giphy.gif

Fair play to Nedved for getting back each time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭blackcard

Different method of recording deaths. Nursing home deaths don't occur in hospitals so weren't being picked up.

It's the same in other areas too, the UK for example.

I would hate to think that we would do anything like this. I think there would be a huge outcry

macmahon wrote: »
    Test from Ireland are being shipped to Germany?

Yes, George Lee mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

An excellent tutorial about using gloves and masks properly here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112858611&postcount=4

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Influenza is not a coronavirus. Where ate you going with all this?

Wiki Coronavirus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blackcard wrote: »
    I would hate to think that we would do anything like this. I think there would be a huge outcry

Dr. Tony confirmed earlier that nursing home deaths are reported

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'm thankful to be in my mid 40s.

I don't fear growing old for dying. I fear it for the loss of control I'll have over the fundamentals of life. I fear it for the loss of dignity, others cleaning me, helping me with going to the toilet, or when I can't make the toilet.

I want to live to a mobile self sufficient 100 and die in my sleep with a clear conscience. Am I asking for too much :)
    No that's sound. You ask away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I had an interaction with two members of the homeless community today.

They were both placed in a HSE building for isolation.
    Of course they were outside, pissed and being a general nuisance.

These ppl don't give a f u CK. They'll tell you that they're infected, yet they will go to the local Centra/spar etc, get their drink and be funts

The Gardai have no powers or facilities to deal with them.

It's time to ship them all off to a secure camp, be it temple more, the curragh, or one of the islands.

Civil liberties be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

MipMap wrote: »
    Three needles in your left arm. Still have the marks.
    Like a little triangle.

I don't have these marks, could it be possible to have been given the vaccine without being marked?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wiki Coronavirus.

We know it's a family of viruses. This new one is a novel type of Coronavirus. Never existed before. Completely different from the others in the family. Only commonality is its morphology, ie the spikes on the surface.

Virology is sure interesting, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Just reading through the numbers there. We are doing exceptionally well, it doesn't look like we'll see a surge. Only 100 ish patients in ICU at this stage is remarkable. Seems like all the hard work paid off thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Just reading through the numbers there. We are doing exceptionally well, it doesn't look like we'll see a surge. Only 100 ish patients in ICU at this stage is remarkable. Seems like all the hard work paid off thankfully.

Well done to all involved

Wiki Coronavirus.

He's right influenza is not a coronavirus. You are being unnecessarily pedantic over terminology.

Most people call Covid-19 the coronavirus, yes and we all know there are other coronaviruses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

RTE talking about the pros and cons of masks.
    Unsurprisingly, the virologist from Trinity slow to recommend them while many countries now recommending/mandating them.

If you have one wear it. I'm a firefighter we are under instruction to wear them at all incidents not just suspected coronavirus cases. Tells me all I need to know.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

giphy.gif

Your posts are the f*cking worst.

• Advertisement

It's upwards from here. We will see a "surge", but hopefully a slow climb and fall. We have been doing well though. Just not sure yet if we are truly seeing the benefits of the social distancing. That may be another week or two.

All in all that seems a bit suspect! Why can't we test here?...will Germany charge us for testing? I guess not...maybe that will be another 120m down the swanee?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Well done to all involved

Worst thing to do now is to get complacent.

We have months of this ahead so let's not go all George Bush and declare victory prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

How does it compare with other similar sized countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Can the labs that usually test for the veterinary world help I wonder?:confused:

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Can the labs that usually test for the veterinary world help I wonder?:confused:

Wouldn't think so. It's the lack of reagent that seems to be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

UrbanFret wrote: »

Of course why not. They are labs. They can test the swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

kilkenny31 wrote:

Is paying off. It's a game of two halves.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Of course why not. They are labs. They can test the swabs.

No, they need pcr kits with right reagent.

Far too early to be complacent. Also, I think that only 14 of those that died had been in ICU. Not sure why such a small number, I thought the most serious cases would have been in ICU. Maybe not moving elderly people from nursing homes? An element of triaigeing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Wouldn't think so. It's the lack of reagent that seems to be the issue.

a proprietary reagent i think? i wonder could they make it if free to do so?

Far too early to be complacent. Also, I think that only 14 of those that died had been in ICU. Not sure why such a small number, I thought the most serious cases would have been in ICU. Maybe not moving elderly people from nursing homes? An element of triaigeing?

I would imagine many deaths have been in nursing homes.

No, they need pcr kits with right reagent.

Well they can test once they have the reagents.

Well they can test once they have the reagents.

Which there is a shortage of. That's the bottleneck, not lab space.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I had an interaction with two members of the homeless community today.

They were both placed in a HSE building for isolation.
    Of course they were outside, pissed and being a general nuisance.

These ppl don't give a f u CK. They'll tell you that they're infected, yet they will go to the local Centra/spar etc, get their drink and be funts

The Gardai have no powers or facilities to deal with them.

It's time to ship them all off to a secure camp, be it temple more, the curragh, or one of the islands.

Civil liberties be damned.

Maybe you should try out a stint of voluntary work with these so called ppl...you may find you will have a different outlook!

Good question. I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,005 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Out of 402 new cases today some of them will end up in ICU too. And most of them will have been confirmed in hospital or nursing home settings as that is where priority testing is. In that way relentless day by day.

It's not just the rate of increase. The actual numbers do matter.

No point in the rate of growth being x percentage if that number is going to overwhelm capacity.

Need to get those numbers down A LOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MipMap wrote: »
    Three needles in your left arm. Still have the marks.
    Like a little triangle.

that was the test if you flared up from that you got a shot in your upper arm which left a scar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was also covered in today's briefing.

Not everyone goes to ICU as there may not be any benefit to them

I.e. they may actually die due to an underlying condition but are reported as a Covid death if positive

• Advertisement

Which there is a shortage of. That's the bottleneck, not lab space.

Well it is the lab space too once they get the reagents. And the testing increases the labs currently will not manage the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

An excellent tutorial about using gloves and masks properly here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112858611&postcount=4

I don’t know ... the linked video is useful but besides that the poster is mostly lecturing and looking down at others assuming everyone else doesn’t know what types of masks are useful and implying people who have masks should be blamed for not giving them to hospitals.

Plus he is actually not explaining the key difference between surgical masks (which mostly protect others form the wearer) and FFP2/FFP3 masks (which only protect the wearer from others if they have a valve and work both ways if they don’t have one). So a person who actually doesn’t know about this stuff and reads his post might actually be mislead about what type of protection is offered by the masks they have.

Listening to the Pat Kenny Show today, the manufacturer of the reagents is complicated enough, you couldn't start from scratch too easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Worst thing to do now is to get complacent.

We have months of this ahead so let's not go all George Bush and declare victory prematurely.

Personally, I'm planning for disruption well into next year. No doubt restrictions will be lifted to add some flow to the economy but they will have to be put down again. That's going to be the way it is until a working vaccine is found.

Well it is the lab space too once they get the reagents. And the testing increases the labs currently will not manage the numbers.

Don't think so? The testing can be ramped up a lot if the reagents are there.

I could be wrong though, it's been 25 years since I stepped foot inside a medical lab. Open to correction.

We know it's a family of viruses. This new one is a novel type of Coronavirus. Never existed before. Completely different from the others in the family. Only commonality is its morphology, ie the spikes on the surface.

Virology is sure interesting, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting?

Im suggesting people should be mindful of the wording coronavirus/covid19 when it comes to media...that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I wonder if different calculation of number Covid-19 victims in France has anything to do with EU economical help to the hardest hit countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Out of 402 new cases today some of them will end up in ICU too. And most of them will have been confirmed in hospital or nursing home settings as that is where priority testing is. In that way relentless day by day.

It's not just the rate of increase. The actual numbers do matter.

No point in the rate of growth being x percentage if that number is going to overwhelm capacity.

Need to get those numbers down A LOT.

I know. But the fact is the rate at which people are dying and the rate at which people are being admitted into ICU is low and not growing at a substantial rate. Obviously the hospitals are going to be busy but not overwhelmed giving the numbers that have been released to date. I'd imagine at the peak it may be 30-50 deaths per day which is awful but nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,005 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Interesting program about China's response. It is good that these programs are being aired because I feel China in some form should be held accountable after this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Stheno wrote: »
    Was also covered in today's briefing.

Not everyone goes to ICU as there may not be any benefit to them

I.e. they may actually die due to an underlying condition but are reported as a Covid death if positive

Yeah the last point here is critical.

I hope I don’t sound callous but in nursing homes, when people of ailing health with a median age of 92 contract an infection, they are not going to go to hospital.
    The main object of the staff is to make the patient as comfortable as possible.

When a patient has a covid - 19 positive test and dies, it is often not the cause of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

QwNzhpF.png

Plenty of willing victims being prepared across America it seems.

How many people in that photo can you picture hooked up to a ventilator? Three at least. That guy with the beard stuffing his face, was it worth it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement