Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I regularly lose my sense of smell and taste with winter colds...

Lots of elderly people have an impaired sense of smell and taste and yes my mam ( who is elderly- but not saying you are) would say with a bad cold taste buds were gone and sense of smell too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Roger_007 wrote: »
    We could also resurrect Charlie Haughey’s GUBU phrase to describe the present situation:-
    Grotesque
    Unbelievable
    Bizarre
    Unprecedented.

Showing your age there Roger ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Naos wrote: »
    It isn't (overrunning our health system currently) because of the measures we've put in place and the majority of people are adhering too.

Thats exactly what I thought too and led to believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So interesting report on Breaking News, wonder if there's a practical way of proving/disproving it?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/smell-test-campaign-could-help-experts-track-coronavirus-spread-991853.html

Lol at wake up and smell the coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

My thinking is that much of the testing & treatment infrastructure would still be in place so a similar spend/investment would not be required.

Also, we would have a better knowledge of how much to do, when to do it, and how long to do it for.

I would hope that a 2nd wave would be more manageable than the current wave due to case numbers being smaller.

Then again, a mutated form of the virus could turn all that upside down.

I'm really just trying to dampen the idea that a second wave would necessarily be worse, when it couldn't possibly take us as much by surprise as the current crisis.
    Couple of things you haven't factored in.

The incredibly short time scale of human nature remembrance and belief that this time it'll be different, allied to the equally incredible ability of bureaucracies to turn crises into disasters by refusing to acknowledge the blindingly obvious because it does not fit into their framework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spain looks likely to report over 1,000 deaths in a 24 hour period tomorrow morning.

It will be the first country in the world to report over 1,000 deaths in 24 hours. (France today does not count, they are added cumulative deaths)

961 deaths in this period by 8 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If we had done nothing and had no restrictions you would have seen exponential growth. Our ICU's would be overwhelmed by now and we would have many excess deaths.

Being realistic there is still a good chance even with the restrictions we have in place that we will get to a stage where our health service will be overwhelmed in a few weeks. Then we will see those excess deaths.

It's that serious!

But if we are all following the advice and social distancing, at least where possible for most people, why would we get more overwhelmed in a few weeks, surely growth should slow down. Otherwise, for what you are saying would happen, people would have to be ignoring the advice we now all know to follow?
    Its not possible to conclude growth is exponential even with restrictions. Cases being announced were picked up at least 2 weeks ago before any tough measures came in. We wont see the reflection of current measures for at least another week to 2 weeks which the CMO has been pretty clear about.

We've cut the average close contacts from 20 to 5 to 3 which would suggest growth will slow.

This seems more logical. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Showing your age there Roger ;)

Me daddy told me about it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Podge201 wrote: »
    Fingering

source

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Roger_007 wrote: »
    We could also resurrect Charlie Haughey’s GUBU phrase to describe the present situation:-
    Grotesque
    Unbelievable
    Bizarre
    Unprecedented.

And, Trump-related:

- Terrific
    - Tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

At current rates, our health system will be overwhelmed in 2-3 weeks. The chief cause being lack of sufficiently trained health workers. It's alarming the numbers that are being infected. Got to ensure at minimum that everyone working in a cluster currently and likely near future clusters are all wearing proper PPE all the time. And consider separating those workers with covid patients completely, with industrial level PPE also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

I regularly lose my sense of smell and taste with winter colds...

for me its normally one of the first signs I know Im coming down with something

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Spain looks likely to report over 1,000 deaths in a 24 hour period tomorrow morning.

It will be the first country in the world to report over 1,000 deaths in 24 hours. (France today does not count, they are added cumulative deaths)

Didn't the US report 1057 deaths yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Miriam back presenting the Late Late tomorrow.

Tubridy must be raging.

I hope Ryan is ok. If he feels up to it, it would be great if she could Skype him from the studio for a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Stheno wrote: »
    Didn't the US report 1057 deaths yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

New Home wrote: »
    Words I'm now hating due to these threads:

1. "Scaremongering"
    2. "Triage"
    3. "Cocooning"
    4. "Social distancing" (ok, fair enough, that's two words)
    5. "Doomsayers"

I'm sure I had more to add to the list, but I'll do that as soon as I remember them.

Please, bring back "Moist".

I've always hated "proactive" - you'd think that no one ever anticipated anything until that phrase was coined

"Upcycling" too - pure pretensiousness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

But is that not from 8pm yesterday and tomorrow morning total will be from 8 this morning to 8 tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

5,740 deaths today alone. frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Bit nervous, going for an emergency dental apointment in the midst of a pandemic. Never thought I would see the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Not the first. Usa was 1049 yesterday.

• Advertisement

bekker wrote: »
    Couple of things you haven't factored in.

The incredibly short time scale of human nature remembrance and belief that this time it'll be different, allied to the equally incredible ability of bureaucracies to turn crises into disasters by refusing to acknowledge the blindingly obvious because it does not fit into their framework.

It's a fair cop! you've highlighted the weak chink of hope in my armour of human behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

froog wrote: »
    5,740 deaths today alone. frightening.

where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Their lockdown is far more stringent than ours is at present.

I don't keep up with the stats, but is that a rising figure of deaths or is it stabilising. I suppose stats on new cases is the one to watch, but it's all becoming far too depressing and negative. And confusing.

It's a weird and eerie time for sure though for many. And it is less than a month since the first death (RIP) from Covid here too, that was the 11th March.

I beg you to read the whole of that page again and see it! Covid19 is there on the page but look at the full stops!!! Full stops dont apply to the next sentence! Thats what Im seeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

speckle wrote: »
    Bit nervous, going for an emergency dental apointment in the midst of a pandemic. Never thought I would see the day!
    Good luck, some idea how you're feeling bugged out of appointment with optician a couple of weeks ago.

Lovely lady but too up close for now.

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Not the first. Usa was 1049 yesterday.

I don't think that's the case. That's on Worldometers for the US but I believe the actual total was below 1,000.

I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    where?
    Globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    where?

that's the global total for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How much tests are Netherlands doing ? Must be tiny, almost 10% of their patients have died

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

"The Trump administration is expected to announce as soon as Thursday that all Americans should wear cloth masks or other face coverings if they go out in public, based on a forthcoming recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that would mark a shift in federal guidance amid new concerns that the coronavirus is being spread by infected people who have no symptoms."

NY Times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

macmahon wrote: »
    I beg you to read the whole of that page again and see it! Covid19 is there on the page but look at the full stops!!! Full stops dont apply to the next sentence! Thats what Im seeing!

Eh, OK McM. I'll try to see your point?
    Please put your words on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭jams100

Just me? Haha

Global cases have exceeded 1 million (worldometer)

And France is listed as having 1,355 additional deaths

US heading for 250,000

Huge numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

owlbethere wrote: »
    I hope Ryan is ok. If he feels up to it, it would be great if she could Skype him from the studio for a chat.

He might make a call from from his shed.

Sweden's government will be changing course soon.

69 deaths today off just 621 new cases.

Yes. Me too.

I'm just highlighting how something like a pandemic has cross cutting concerns. Whatever field you are interested in, it will affect it.

I guess for me, that's what makes it interesting.
    But hey, this is how I survive, I'm quite detached from things. Even in tough times.

Welcome to my world!...your never alone unless you want to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They have to. Only so long you can stay out on your own while neighbouring countries deal with it a completely different way.

Although I suspect the UK probably would have gone down the same route had the french not threatened to close the border with UK if they didnt do something.

He might make a call from from his shed.

Do they all own the same sex dungeon shed?

It's just I saw Marty Morrissey broadcasting from a remarkably similar shed to that of Claire Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i cant believe they have left it so long , they have been way too relaxed especially with children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Global cases have exceeded 1 million (worldometer)

And France is listed as having 1,355 additional deaths

US heading for 250,000

Huge numbers

Re France, it includes 844 who have died in nursing homes in recent times, the official figures are just for deaths in hospitals.

I had long since given up on believing the new cases were accurate, but I had hoped the death figures would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

bekker wrote: »
    Good luck, some idea how you're feeling bugged out of appointment with optician a couple of weeks ago.
    thanks. its the aerosol thingy. havent been out in two weeks. have mask gloves sanitiser and protective eyewear. but that doesnt protect from the drill.
    however I am glad it is this week incase they bring in the 20 dental centers with mulitple dentists. will report back to all at weekend how it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

citysights wrote: »
    The thing is and it has been raised before on this thread is whether or not people are dying of covid or with covid. It seems to be an important point in terms of classification of death.

Like if someone had an underlying health condition did covid cause their death ( assuming they tested positive for it) or was it the underlying condition that caused their death.Surely this is an important distinction to make and is that distinction being made currently.

I think they will be able to estimate that properly when this is all over by comparing the average number of deaths to previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Trump press conference is going atrociously!

1,164 new cases in Brazil now and 82 new deaths.

Hope the Brazilians do something about the lunatic in charge before it's too late.

If we had done nothing and had no restrictions you would have seen exponential growth. Our ICU's would be overwhelmed by now and we would have many excess deaths.

Being realistic there is still a good chance even with the restrictions we have in place that we will get to a stage where our health service will be overwhelmed in a few weeks. Then we will see those excess deaths.

It's that serious!

The numbers are so small and have been over the last few weeks here in Ireland! Its a plandemic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One guy in Quebec, Canada Lawrence O'Hearn and one guy in Bandon, Co Cork Niall McQuaid playing music and social isolating, brought together by the love of Irish music and the love of the human race.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Does anyone know if Trump is getting paid for the product placement in these press conference? (i.e listing off every company going)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Musefan wrote: »
    Trump press conference is going atrociously!

Whats the header saying tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have now added more info to the site plus you can check every countries stats

https://coronavirus-ireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

voluntary wrote: »
    "The Trump administration is expected to announce as soon as Thursday that all Americans should wear cloth masks or other face coverings if they go out in public, based on a forthcoming recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that would mark a shift in federal guidance amid new concerns that the coronavirus is being spread by infected people who have no symptoms."

NY Times

It's disgusting how much western governments (our government included) keep pushing the agenda that masks are not needed but now they are back tracking.

Imagine how many lives could've been saved if they didn't stigmatize people wearing masks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement