Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

citysights wrote: »
    Someone shared a video here the other day of a hospital in Southern Italy, the corridor was partitioned( different categories of patients at either side ) with yellow tape and the security officer manning it had a gun in his pocket.., inside a hospital!

Security men in hospitals all over the world have guns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yes. Me too.

I'm just highlighting how something like a pandemic has cross cutting concerns. Whatever field you are interested in, it will affect it.

I guess for me, that's what makes it interesting.
    But hey, this is how I survive, I'm quite detached from things. Even in tough times.

A fellow spectator!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A good point here from Tony H today

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/coronavirus-ireland-dr-tony-holohan-21803715

Now that the lockdown is in full effect, and the contacts from new cases is down to a few, the disease is now transmitted in households rather than in the community.

As a result, it'll take a few weeks for all new isolating cases to transmit the virus to the other members of their household. Community transmission is fairly limited with all the social distancing and quarantine measures. Obviously there will be exceptions such as healthcare workers, frontline staff etc.

But it does paint a good picture for a few weeks time, when affected households will have had the virus run its course within the house and inter household transmission has been cut to a minimum.

The big question is what happens when restrictions start easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

macmahon wrote: »
    Well those stats add up! Well done BanditLuke! Do you care enough to spill?
    Possibly you mistakenly ^equated^ boards with facebook or twitter.

Your contributions since joining are either facetious or coronavirus error fixated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have to say, this abode here is like it was magically transported to the deep country.

I never heard it so quiet/calm. I'm so used to aircraft noise but this is like the twilight zone for the last week absolutely noiseless, earily beautiful. Just like that twilight zone episode when the woman found the watch to stop time.

Finally the noise of engines and drilling has stopped. I'm not living in the sticks, but for this beautiful time... I may as well be. Have you noticed waking up at 5am without the low drone of aircraft engine noise? Or if you live on a busy road and are now realising how quiet it is for once in a generation of complete quietness?

Do you like it or hate it?.

I live on the flight path for Cork Airport, and it's quite eerie at the minute now that we're down to 2 takeoffs and landings per day.

The roads seem just as loud although given the traffic volumes are lighter and the proportion of heavy vehicles is bigger it may just be a different noise that we're not used to.

It does seem odd looking up at a clear sky like today and no sign of any aircraft contrails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Security men in hospitals all over the world have guns

Not in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

marno21 wrote: »
    I live on the flight path for Cork Airport, and it's quite eerie at the minute now that we're down to 2 takeoffs and landings per day.

The roads seem just as loud although given the traffic volumes are lighter and the proportion of heavy vehicles is bigger it may just be a different noise that we're not used to.

It does seem odd looking up at a clear sky like today and no sign of any aircraft contrails.

Remember when the volcano in Iceland erupted, no planes in the sky at all.
    Very odd as I was in the centre of London at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/coronavirus-ireland-dr-tony-holohan-21803715

Now that the lockdown is in full effect, and the contacts from new cases is down to a few, the disease is now transmitted in households rather than in the community.

As a result, it'll take a few weeks for all new isolating cases to transmit the virus to the other members of their household. Community transmission is fairly limited with all the social distancing and quarantine measures. Obviously there will be exceptions such as healthcare workers, frontline staff etc.

But it does paint a good picture for a few weeks time, when affected households will have had the virus run its course within the house and inter household transmission has been cut to a minimum.

It's a good question ; one would assume though that if we're down to zero new cases a day, it would be very difficult for the virus to reinfect thousands of people across the country again. It had the element of surprise last time but no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

If we had done nothing and had no restrictions you would have seen exponential growth. Our ICU's would be overwhelmed by now and we would have many excess deaths.

Being realistic there is still a good chance even with the restrictions we have in place that we will get to a stage where our health service will be overwhelmed in a few weeks. Then we will see those excess deaths.

It's that serious!

Seriously! We are piggy in the middle in this war and no one here in Ireland is seeing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Not in Ireland.

We have had on many occasions. After London bombings, during troubles. I could continue

Its scary times but don't try make it all a drama

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a good question ; one would assume though that if we're down to zero new cases a day, it would be very difficult for the virus to reinfect thousands of people across the country again. It had the element of surprise last time but no more.
    That is an absurd thing to say about a virus which doesn't show symptoms for up to two weeks. Its main advantage is that asymptomatic people shed the virus a lot in the early stages of infection. That's its "element of surprise". You're surely posting in these threads long enough to know that we did have advance warning because of the situation in China and it is still spreading totally out of control a month after it arrived here.

There will only be zero cases a day when it has infected everyone, or in the unlikely event that we finally manage to vaccinate against a coronavirus, or when everyone is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

The PPE situation was disappointing to hear . We use Kimberly - Clark masks in work , top grade but I would say they are impossible to get now - they are actually made in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Good article in NYT for those interested in the ROK's approach to tackiing COVID-19.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-flatten-curve.html

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

No we can't be positive. People went walking on the beach 2 weekends ago and I seen a guy run close to a person in the park yesterday so we're going to be like Italy next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WeMetHere

Looks like some of the Chinese PPE gear we got on Sunday is not up to scratch, hope they kept the receipt...

I really don’t understand why China has to do this kind of business which is selling PPE to other countries if they can not guarantee the quality, so just give us the refund.

Just do not make money on these things, it’s bloody money. It doesn’t matter what they do, it’s no good.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    No we can't be positive. People went walking on the beach 2 weekends ago and I seen a guy run close to a person in the park yesterday so we're going to be like Italy next week.

Like Italy, on what do you base that? Italy has a very very elderly population, the people who died there ( in the main) had at least one if not more underlying health conditions. The population of Italy is also much much higher than Ireland and Italian medics have said that the criteria for recording death is fairly loose. Ireland is not Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

gozunda wrote: »
    Stuff of nightmares or at least this one

Video released on December 11 2019 by the Shanghai Media Group when the Covid-19 was already infecting its first victims ...

Go to 3:05 for section on bats ...

And no I'm not a conspiracy advocate.

Poor bats. Why can’t we leave nature alone and stop exploiting it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,647 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All the global looper terrorist organisations at the suicide bomber racket and general billion dollar wars, in the end to mess up the entire earth all they needed to do was send some volunteers to eat a few bats and enjoy themselves amongst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

s1ippy wrote: »
    That is an absurd thing to say about a virus which doesn't show symptoms for up to two weeks. Its main advantage is that asymptomatic people shed the virus a lot in the early stages of infection. That's its "element of surprise". You're surely posting in these threads long enough to know that we did have advance warning because of the situation in China and it is still spreading totally out of control a month after it arrived here.

There will only be zero cases a day when it has infected everyone, or in the unlikely event that we finally manage to vaccinate against a coronavirus, or when everyone is dead.

Virus started to become widespread through community spread, absolutely no social distancing, inward and unchecked travel from infected countries, people not washing their hands etc. How on earth could any of that be replicated in Ireland at any point in 2020, given what we have just gone through?

You could easily see outbreaks and clusters later in the year but it would be hard to imagine cases going into the thousands and deaths back into the hundreds. (I never said anything about the virus being permanently eradicated in Ireland without a vaccine ; I meant we might see a single day at the bottom of the curve when no new cases are reported).

cnocbui wrote: »
    Probably means it's more like cartridge based re-usable respirators than light weight FFP3 masks. Which may not be a bad thing if you look at what the Italians are now suiting up in to protect health care workers - full face covering mask with cartridges. I believe the Italians have had no health worker infections after suiting up to airborne protocol standards.

I’ve noticed that we aren’t doing this on the footage I’ve seen. In China the healthcare workers are COMPLETELY covered. They look like they are going into a clean room and they must work 6 hour shifts straight with no toilet break etc. They can’t eat or drink for this time either. The PPE is so robust that some nurses need oxygen after the 6 hour shift.

Our workers look very exposed in the face shields etc I’ve seen footage of. Hair exposed, neck exposed, under chin, ears etc. I would have thought they need complete coverage to protect themselves. Like ‘spacesuit’ PPE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Like Italy, on what do you base that? Italy has a very very elderly population, the people who died there ( in the main) had at least one if not more underlying health conditions. The population of Italy is also much much higher than Ireland and Italian medics have said that the criteria for recording death is fairly loose. Ireland is not Italy.

I was joking. I was taking the piss about the negative people on here who almost want this thing to be catastrophic so they can say I told you so because they think the government aren't doing enough and thought the fact that people went out the beach and parks two weekends ago meant we would see a huge spike in cases and deaths now.

I have to say, this abode here is like it was magically transported to the deep country.

I never heard it so quiet/calm. I'm so used to aircraft noise but this is like the twilight zone for the last week absolutely noiseless, earily beautiful. Just like that twilight zone episode when the woman found the watch to stop time.

Finally the noise of engines and drilling has stopped. I'm not living in the sticks, but for this beautiful time... I may as well be. Have you noticed waking up at 5am without the low drone of aircraft engine noise? Or if you live on a busy road and are now realising how quiet it is for once in a generation of complete quietness?

Do you like it or hate it?.

I wonder will we have problems ‘readjusting’ to normal noise levels !

I was joking. I was taking the piss about the negative people on here who almost want this thing to be catastrophic so they can say I told you so because they think the government aren't doing enough and thought the fact that people went out the beach and parks two weekends ago meant we would see a huge spike in cases and deaths now.

I think over all we are doing great now (apart from travel restrictions)

Fair enough, sorry I misunderstood, totally agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

frillyleaf wrote: »
    They may not want to say that as frontline workers are likely relying on pharmacies etc to supply them at this stage if the shortages are as bad as being reported. The public also have access to these so if they said “masks work” there would be huge rush to get them. I think the HSE put out a call for anyone who had PPE to donate it? There is obviously serious shortfall in supplies.

If the HSE told the population that masks do protect there would be even more competition to get them among workers who do need them more as they are actually working with people who are likely to be exposed.

A lot of the general public have a choice that removes the need for masks. We can social distance. This removes the need for masks for most of the time....compare this need with a nurse, a career, health assistant etc, someone immune comprised and their carers.

I think that anyone working in essential services should be supplied these masks too along with carers of people that are vulnerable.

It’s simply easier for people to social distance. I would also think similar to gloves, people not trained in basic infection or disease control will use them incorrectly. I see people wearing gloves to shops, and using same gloves getting into their cars etc. It basically renders them ineffective.

No.

There are many different types of masks here which are NOT suitable for medical use.

Facemasks for health care workers must meet specific standards with regard to chain of cudtody and sterilised handling and storage.

A huge number of N95 masks etc are used by the construction, food and farming sectors. These were being sold in hardware and other retailers until recently. These are not medical grade masks.

If people have them - they should be used as and when required with none of this bolloxology that they are required elsewhere. Repeat- the majority of these masks are not suitable for health care environments. That said - even home made masks offer some protection.

Using a mask helps the person wearing the mask but also protects others. Think about that when you pass a healthcare worker in the same aisle whilst shopping. You may not know you are sick or may be asymptomatic and could potentially more likley pass on that infection if you are not wearing a mask.

Your point about gloves is the same as for hands. Nothing a bit of cop on wouldnt deal with tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I’ve noticed that we aren’t doing this on the footage I’ve seen. In China the healthcare workers are COMPLETELY covered. They look like they are going into a clean room and they must work 6 hour shifts straight with no toilet break etc. They can’t eat or drink for this time either. The PPE is so robust that some nurses need oxygen after the 6 hour shift.

Our workers look very exposed in the face shields etc I’ve seen footage of. Hair exposed, neck exposed, under chin, ears etc. I would have thought they need complete coverage to protect themselves. Like ‘spacesuit’ PPE

I would agree. That seems to be exactly what the Italians are now doing, having lost 61 doctors so far. Bit of a mystery as to why I can't find a number for how many nurses have given their all. I would imagine it must be an even more dire number, but the information appears to be being withheld.

This is how the Italians are approaching it now, the HSE would do well to take note:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Railway lines should’ve been closed weeks ago and all bus services suspended. Dublin is the epicentre in Ireland and the majority of people are catching it there through travelling for work or shopping. I heard of someone I know of who only eats ready meals getting the train to Dublin via Ballybrophy to buy them because Centra in Nenagh was sold out of them. Thankfully services are suspended on that Nenagh line. These are the people that will spread it around

No.

There are many different types of masks here which are NOT suitable for medical use.

Facemasks for health care workers must meet specific standards with regard to chain of and sterilised handling and storage.

A huge number of N95 masks etc are used by the construction, food and farming sectors. These were being sold in hardware and other retailers until recently. These are not medical grade masks.

If people have them - they should be used as and when required with none of this bolloxology that they are required elsewhere. Repeat- the majority of these masks are not suitable for health care environments. .

Using a mask helps the person wearing the mask but also protects others. Think about that when you pass a healthcare worker in the same aisle. You may not know you are sick or may be asymptomatic and could potentially more likley pass on that infection if you are not wearing a mask.

Your point about gloves is the same as for hands. Nothing a bit of cop on wouldnt deal with tbh.

Cartridge style respirators as used in industry, that filter to PP3 levels, are suitable for medical use if medical specific masks are not available. They would certainly be better than surgical masks. This is a time of make-do in the face of critical shortages. John Hopkins recognises this need to adapt and has a guide for reusing formerly single use masks.

Railway lines should’ve been closed weeks ago and all bus services suspended. Dublin is the epicentre in Ireland and the majority of people are catching it there through travelling for work or shopping. I heard of someone I know of who only eats ready meals getting the train to Dublin via Ballybrophy to buy them because Centra in Nenagh was sold out of them. Thankfully services are suspended on that Nenagh line. These are the people that will spread it around

Health and other critical workers still need to get to work. They don't al have cars. Likewise people need to get to shops for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 WeMetHere

You are completely right there, most of the Chinese nurses who work in ICUs have to wear adult nappies to deal with the toilet emergency, because every time you change the gowns you face the risk of being infected, also more time and PPEs are being wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,647 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sweden not going in to lockdown has a death rate of 30 per million, ourselves going back to living in caves has a death rate of 20 per million. The suicide rate will put us many multiples ahead of Sweden.

No.

Facemasks for health care workers must meet specific standards with regard to chain of and sterilised handling and storage.

If people have them - they should be used as and when required with none of this bolloxology that they are required elsewhere. Repeat- the majority of these masks are not suitable for health care environments. .

Using a mask helps the person wearing the mask but also protects others. Think about that when you pass a healthcare worker in the same aisle. You may not know you are sick or may be asymptomatic and could potentially more likley pass on that infection if you are not wearing a mask.

I agree with all your points and have said the same points previously. I would imagine that healthcare working are getting masks from pharmacies and these would be correct storage and specification I would hope. I feel these should be saved for healthcare workers as they are most exposed and this is most likely what is happening.

When I said HSE looking for PPE I meant gloves. People are free to use what ever they choose and when they choose.

I’ve seen some people stitching together masks from cotton and selling them claiming they will protect, This surprised me as I thought there would be strict regulations selling something that is claiming to protect someone when it is not medically certified. Maybe they do offer some protection? I don’t know I’m not an expert.

Other people are kindly making shields for people to use, again I was surprised at this but maybe it’s a case something is better than nothing?

I agree that masks ideally should be worn by EVERYONE to stop spread of infection FROM people especially because some people have no symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cartridge style respirators as used in industry, that filter to PP3 levels, are suitable for medical use if medical specific masks are not available. They would certainly be better than surgical masks. This is a time of make-do in the face of critical shortages. John Hopkins recognises this need to adapt and has a guide for reusing formerly single use masks.

Not specifically referring to those btw rather the N95 / FFP3 /FFP2 style masks which were commonly available for use in industry, farming etc. There is a lot of these types of masks already owned and should be used.

Such masks are not suited for medical environments but which will help protect people otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hong Kong has ordered all bars and pubs to shut and an upping of social distancing rules as the city faces a resurgence in Coronavirus cases.

Anyone violating rules will get 6 months in jail and a $6,450 fine.

I would agree. That seems to be exactly what the Italians are now doing, having lost 61 doctors so far. Bit of a mystery as to why I can't find a number for how many nurses have given their all. I would imagine it must be an even more dire number, but the information appears to be being withheld.

This is how the Italians are approaching it now, the HSE would do well to take note:

This is how the nurses doctors etc treat patients in China. It’s completely sealed suits. I assumed this was how Irish nurses and doctors were kitted out when treating Covid19 patients until I saw footage or maybe it’s old footage ?

• Advertisement

Sweden not going in to lockdown has a death rate of 30 per million, ourselves going back to living in caves has a death rate of 20 per million. The suicide rate will put us many multiples ahead of Sweden.

Please don’t say that. In fairness there is a lot of help being given by people to people in the community, men’s shed, gaa etc have seen local posts on f/book about this. People are really trying to help each other. Even if everyone just phoned their neighbor to check in with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

macmahon wrote: »
    You will be grand! Health service has never been so sterile and clean here in Ireland! Too many ups are incoming in this plandemic here Ireland!...stay positive!

Plandemic? So you think it was an engineered pandemic.

Spain will break 1,000 deaths in a 24 hour period later this morning.

However, they have just been beaten to the title of first country to do so.

The USA has reported 1169 deaths in a single day yesterday and 29,874 new cases.

Given the lag between detection, ICU and ultimately passing away that death rate is likely to soar in the coming days and this is going to upset a lot of people when those numbers start appearing.

The USA has reported 1169 deaths in a single day yesterday and 29,874 new cases.

Given the lag between detection, ICU and ultimately passing away that death rate is likely to soar in the coming days and this is going to upset a lot of people when those numbers start appearing.

Beaten to the title? This isn’t the olympics you know.

I wonder will we have problems ‘readjusting’ to normal noise levels !

I live with 2 extremely loud housemates, I can't wait for the normal noise levels.

• Advertisement

Beaten to the title? This isn’t the olympics you know.

?

You guys lied. You told me this was the Olympics :mad:

Heathrow closing one runway due to fcuk all use.

Meanwhile Japan has 122 new cases - vast bulk in Tokyo which has warned it is on the verge of an explosive increase in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Death porn? Are you enjoying this??

EUn1g6cWoAE-pOB?format=jpg&name=medium

Death porn? Are you enjoying this??

No, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

No, are you?

You sure as hell are giving the impression you are.

March-World-small.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

March-World-small.gif

giphy.gif

I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, 95% of people currently with covid 19 Coronavirus are in mild condition. ( source Worldometers)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

On a positive note, 95% of people currently with covid 19 Coronavirus are in mild condition. ( source Worldometers)

That never changes. Always 95% or 96% in mild condition. Still 1000s dying. *****ty virus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement