Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This thread continues to be the home of all the sh1test takes possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Went through the last 3 pages, too many too pick out. I'd imagine you know who you are already

Don't let the door slam in your face on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lord there sure are some idiots in the world.

https://twitter.com/terri_____/status/1245858832607141888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Spain will break 1,000 deaths in a 24 hour period later this morning.

However, they have just been beaten to the title of first country to do so.

The USA has reported 1169 deaths in a single day yesterday and 29,874 new cases.

Given the lag between detection, ICU and ultimately passing away that death rate is likely to soar in the coming days and this is going to upset a lot of people when those numbers start appearing.

The US has 7 times the population of Spain. It's hardly shocking. How do the deaths per million compare?

The fear and death mongering on here, especially when it comes to the US, is really depressing. Almost like some people are willing it to happen. Like, why be dicks? We're all in the same boat.

Time for a break from here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

USA 0.073% of the population have contacted Coronavirus.
    Spain 0.25% of the population have contacted Coronavirus
    Ireland 0.08% of the population have contacted Coronavirus.

Now you can't really go by these number due to the countries level of testing etc. It will take at least another month to have a clearer picture of everything.

You can't treat the USA as one country either due to its size and population either. You would want to go North, South, East, West at the very minimum.

The US is far from fecked either with lockdowns now in place. New York is bad all right but due to the diverse population it won't be as bad as anyone makes out except the major cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Wow real anger towards facts lately.
    Keep up the posts Kermit, you've come across some real interesting bits that help in working out exactly things are developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

sadie1502 wrote: »
    That never changes. Always 95% or 96% in mild condition. Still 1000s dying. *****ty virus.

It could be 99.998% if the London Imperial college latest study is to be believed. They estimate far more people have it than suspected. We can't know without proper testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Lord there sure are some idiots in the world.

It seems as religious fanatics regard themselves in some way as being completely immune to the virus. Two weeks ago 25000 gathered for koran healing prayers in Bangladesh. A picture of them appeared in newspapers of them crammed cheek to jowel in a field. Yesterday Florida governor Ron DeSantis adds to the list of permitted “essential services” by including the attending church services potentially with "500 or more being crammed shoulder to shoulder" in such gatherings. (Source UK Independent)
    According to RTE this morning, Foster in the North is also mooting at something similar.

At best religion seems like fairy stories for adults who still believe in fairies and cannot admit it, but at worse and in the current situation its a major and potent threat to our lives and well-being unless a lid is not put on this dangerous idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

2u2me wrote: »
    It could be 99.998% if the London Imperial college latest study is to be believed. They estimate far more people have it than suspected. We can't know without proper testing.

There is significant testing going on in many countries that don't show it. Hopefully that is the case and many are already immune, hopefully.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The US has 7 times the population of Spain. It's hardly shocking. How do the deaths per million compare?

The fear and death mongering on here, especially when it comes to the US, is really depressing. Almost like some people are willing it to happen. Like, why be dicks? We're all in the same boat.

Time for a break from here I think.

Ok snowflake.

Don't worry about it.

The world is nice and kind and fluffy.

You'll be alright.

But you won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

USA 0.073% of the population have contacted Coronavirus.
    Spain 0.25% of the population have contacted Coronavirus
    Ireland 0.08% of the population have contacted Coronavirus.

Now you can't really go by these number due to the countries level of testing etc. It will take at least another month to have a clearer picture of everything.
    Level of deaths per capita is perhaps a little more reliable, but we're doing worse than the US there too. Better than only 16 countries on that score, actually. And four of those countries have populations of under 50k, and one of 77k.

Hopefully the effect of the lockdown measures will start becoming evident in the death rate next week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ok snowflake.

Don't worry about it.

You'll be alright.

But you won't be.

Dont remember saying I wasnt worried but, ok, I wont be alright. All of america is going to die. And you'll be grand sure. Is that better?

Just **** off ffs. You are noticebly being a dick at this stage. Perhaps its anxiety. You ok hun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I hope they're ordering oxygen when they're ordering this equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks like some of the Chinese PPE gear we got on Sunday is not up to scratch, hope they kept the receipt...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0403/1128209-nphet-to-meet-to-plan-next-moves-in-covid-19-fight/

Reading that it sounds like it's just different than they expected. Likewise in Leo's press conference last night he said the look and feel is different to what Irish healthcare staff would be used to. Just because it looks different doesn't mean its faulty.

Irish healthcare staff are accustomed to the lightweight gowns that you see them wearing quite often, I'd suspect its something more heavy duty thats arrived and if so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Have antibody tests been made available in Ireland yet? I'd love to one as having a cold in March I think there's a slight chance I might already have this thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ok snowflake.

Don't worry about it.

You'll be alright.

But you won't be.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »

Just **** off ffs. You are noticebly being a dick at this stage. Perhaps its anxiety. You ok hun?

Mod: End it, both of you. Or I'm pulling the plug on your posting rights to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What province is America in? Is it near Leitrim? Can this thread not be for Irish updates?

voluntary wrote: »
    Have antibody tests been made available in Ireland yet? I'd love to one as having a cold in March I think there's a slight chance I might already have this thing?

Had the cold during March as well, cough, bit of a tight chest, bit of a temperature, herself had it as well. My uncle had awful muscle pain that week as well.

Probably just a normal cold or mild flu but like you wouldn't it be great if it was Corona and that is all we had of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

pjohnson wrote: »
    What province is America in? Is it near Leitrim? Can this thread not be for Irish updates?

Well this thread is a catchall megathread.

I do think an Irish situation megathread might be a good idea to keep the Irish stuff on its own.

Well this thread is a catchall megathread.

I do think an Irish situation megathread might be a good idea to keep the Irish stuff on its own.

It's the same **** between updates either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bsharp

Ficheall wrote: »
    Level of deaths per capita is perhaps a little more reliable, but we're doing worse than the US there too. Better than only 16 countries on that score, actually. And four of those countries have populations of under 50k, and one of 77k.

Hopefully the effect of the lockdown measures will start becoming evident in the death rate next week..

If you consider how we're set up as a nation then by right we should be high on any list when doing per capita comparisons.

Before this took hold we had;

Strong open economy

Relatively big multi-national and international student presence for our population size

International airport with close to 32.9m passengers last year, only a few hours drive from anywhere in the country London to Dublin is possibly the busiest air route in the world and another major transit hub

Population with a tendency to migrate and travel globally

No recent pandemic experience when compared to East Asia

Road haulage instead of rail freight meaning more people interaction

Basically we have the perfect conditions for a virus to get here and spread. Only thing we're missing is population density but there's plenty of people who drive the length and breadth of this country every day for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Watching CNN now story about dogs which have been trained to sniff virus they have been used in the past to give hospitals all clear for SARS so if covid 19 has a specific smell they can be trained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sadie1502 wrote: »
    That never changes. Always 95% or 96% in mild condition. Still 1000s dying. *****ty virus.

For those that think mild is meh ...

Even the 'mild' cases are detailed as potentially developing pneumonia

And may deleveop other organ damage

That's no joke ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is something very strange going on with the health service. The A&Es are empty, the wards are virtually empty, (according to Dr Holohan anyway). What happened to all the patients who were on trolleys a couple of weeks ago. Were there a lot of people going to A&E who didn’t need to, or are they afraid to go now?
    Is it possible that people are so scared of getting Covid19 that they not going to their doctors or to A&E even when they really should. Could this be an unintended consequence of the ‘cocoon’ policy?

A friend of mine is a Paramedic. He told us many times before, the amount of unnecessary calls that are placed and people having to be taken to A&E/Hospital is crazy.

This has clearly cut down a lot of the people who call for the sake of calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Maybe I am not changing some setting but those graphs relate to cases.Cases cannot be compared accurately because of the gulf in tests or head of population.

You can change by case/new case/deaths and you can alter them by head of population. Tests is problematic, but as you can see from this thread, I don't think we even know how many we're doing on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Naos wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a Paramedic. He told us many times before, the amount of unnecessary calls that are placed and people having to be taken to A&E/Hospital is crazy.

This has clearly cut down a lot of the people who call for the sake of calling.

GPs send too many people to A&E also. Maybe they will look at this going forward and have many intermediate clinics for assessment and triage although that should be the GPs job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

It seems as religious fanatics regard themselves in some way as being completely immune to the virus. Two weeks ago 25000 gathered for koran healing prayers in Bangladesh. A picture of them appeared in newspapers of them crammed cheek to jowel in a field. Yesterday Florida governor Ron DeSantis adds to the list of permitted “essential services” by including the attending church services potentially with "500 or more being crammed shoulder to shoulder" in such gatherings. (Source UK Independent)
    According to RTE this morning, Foster in the North is also mooting at something similar.

At best religion seems like fairy stories for adults who still believe in fairies and cannot admit it, but at worse and in the current situation its a major and potent threat to our lives and well-being unless a lid is not put on this dangerous idiocy.

Some DUP councilor was droning on about how this is linked to gay marriage and abortion. High quality political representative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Have just been on an internal webinar for Novartis employess hosted by their management and lead researchers and they confirm a vaccination will be available to the world Jan - Apr 2021. This is from the biggest pharamceutical company in the world so this is the correct time frame over which any politician will tell you.

Therefore, we may see restrictions for the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭celt262

kilns wrote: »
    Have just been on an internal webinar for Novartis employess hosted by their management and lead researchers and they confirm a vaccination will be available to the world Jan - Apr 2021. This is from the biggest pharamceutical company in the world so this is the correct time frame over which any politician will tell you.

Thanks for the update can put up with it when we know there is an end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

beolight wrote: »
    Watching CNN now story about dogs which have been trained to sniff virus they have been used in the past to give hospitals all clear for SARS so if covid 19 has a specific smell they can be trained

It turned out they just stopped doing sausages in the canteen the day they got the all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah, I wouldn’t believe everything in a corporate ‘webinar’.

Originally Posted by mike_ie
    Mod: End it, both of you. Or I'm pulling the plug on your posting rights to the thread.

We are too big to fail.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,608 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

beolight wrote: »

Would take years.
    Took me years to still not fully train my dog to roll in fox sh1t

Have just been on an internal webinar for Novartis employess hosted by their management and lead researchers and they confirm a vaccination will be available to the world Jan - Apr 2021. This is from the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world so this is the correct time frame over which any politician will tell you.

That's doubtful and pretty unsustainable. There are other trials planned and underway in the search for treatments to manage infections. It's always been about the curve with this and ultimately protecting those most likely at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod:

@Kermit.de.frog - Don't post in the thread again. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,608 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gozunda wrote: »
    For those that think mild is meh ...

Even the 'mild' cases are detailed as potentially developing pneumonia

And may deleveop other organ damage

That's no joke ....
    Yep. Mild is categorized as anything short of requiring hospitalization, and the bar for requiring hospitalization has increased so an illness that would have put you in hospital 6 months ago is now officially mild if you and your gp think you can tough it out at home

There may be some ‘mild’ illnesses that result in death if there’s a misjudgment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

macmahon wrote: »
    Wiki Coronavirus.

And what? Does it state influenza is a coronavirus?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod:

@Kermit.de.frog - Don't post in the thread again. Cheers.

I will.

What do you think about that?

Mod: 1 week ban for continually ignoring mod instructions.

Here's news of another potential vaccine, based off work done for SARS and MERS.

http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/pittcovacc-covid-19-vaccine-08291.html

jackboy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn’t believe everything in a corporate ‘webinar’.

This is not for public consumption its a peer to peer conversation, you cant pull the wool over the eyes of people in the industry which you can with the general public

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's doubtful and pretty unsustainable. There are other trials planned and underway in the search for treatments to manage infections. It's always been about the curve with this and ultimately protecting those most likely at risk.

INteresting to know why you think it is unsustainable

The curve is a short term win with society lockdown in place which is unsustainable in itself

This is not for public consumption its a peer to peer conversation so no bull
    Well it does match the general timeframe for a vaccine that has been floated about so not really any reason to doubt it.

• Advertisement

Well it does match the general timeframe for a vaccine that has been floated about so not really any reason to doubt it.

and to be honest it would have been sooner but companies had no interest in researching it as it did not make commercial sense in Dec/Jan but obviously things have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

frillyleaf wrote: »
    A lot of the general public have a choice that removes the need for masks. We can social distance.

Probably not a bad idea to wear a mask and keep a safe physical distance.

INteresting to know why you think it is unsustainable

The curve is a short term win with society lockdown in place which is unsustainable in itself
    There is really no way for people nor economies to sustain a very long term restriction, where the cure would be many times worse than the disease. In the absence of vaccine I can see them looking at other mitigating treatments, maintaining a readiness to apply restrictions, tracking through very widescale testing and having a response system. The situation we are now in cannot effectively remain for more than 4-6 weeks. There are already signs of strain in Greece and Italy.

and to be honest it would have been sooner but companies had no interest in researching it as it did not make commercial sense in Dec/Jan but obviously things have changed
    True and it might never be commercial if this thing just vanishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I believe this is the bare minimum time frame being floated about. They have been able to sequence the genome of this virus much quicker than previous sars or mers outbreaks but remember vaccines still haven't been developed for either of those virus' now 17 years on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement