Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Pdoghue wrote: »
    The Italian statistics show that only 2.1 % of all people who have died from Covid-19 have no underlying conditions. All age groups.

Everyone has some underlying condition.

So many people in eg pre-diabetic state or overweight or smokers or drinkers or...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just like the fall on the 15th, 17th, 21st and 23rd signalled that we had beaten this thing.. :rolleyes:

Also, didn't yesterday only have 23 hours?

No question certain countries like Spain, Italy and Switzerland are levelling off and we are beginning to see falls in new infections.

Germany, France and UK are still rising exponentially so it's unknown how that will play into figures going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

How come Prince Charles , or Boris, or Tom Hanks didn't end up dead. All older, all unfit .

Firstly Boris is in the early stages of the virus. Who knows if his condition will worsen or not. Secondly they are prominent politicians, celebrities etc. who can afford to have constant medical attention and treatment. No waiting on trolleys or in crowded corridors for them even in a worst case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

The Italian statistics show that only 2.1 % of all people who have died from Covid-19 have no underlying conditions. All age groups.
    Just proves that the whole virus scare is a hoax.
    US surpassed China because they count deaths differently. In China if you already had damaged lungs and you die after contracting the virus it's not counted as a COVID-19 death. If you're fat and you smoke at 70 it's obvious you shouldn't blame the flu but them drinking Coke syrup and eating hamburgers all day.
    Every year the flu 'kills' lots of old people. The only thing different now is the fast spread so instead of the dying a year from now they will die this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

voluntary wrote: »
    Everyone has some underlying condition.

What do you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Its at times like this I wish I had a PHD...

Infectious disease expert says Government should consider closing Irish borders

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Downlinz wrote: »
    This is obviously nonsense but what exactly do the conspiracy folk think is happening here, who do they think is benefiting from everyone staying at home and a population in fear that seemingly every government in the world is collaborating in?

It's a conspiracy, it doesn't need to make sense. Sure, in one tweet he's saying Coronavirus is caused by 5G and now he's retweeting this which says it's all a big hoax. He can't even decide what the conspiracy is and is contradicting himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I disagree. Masks are everywhere in china now because they have beaten the virus so they have so much stock. When the virus hit China so many factories started to produce PPE and now that the virus is ended in China they are selling this equipment internationally.

So many of my friends on wechat are selling masks, medical suits and even ventilators in bulk.

Available to the Chinese general public and from questionable sellers on Taobao yes.

But there certainly isn’t wide availability for international governments in large quantities and from trusted/certified sources (Spain tried to use back channels to procure supplies from China and had bad surprises).

Ordering a few masks for you online from a random Chinese guy who got them from his local convenience store isn’t the same as our government finding trusted suppliers who can deliver let’s say 100 million of masks to ireland in the next 2 or 3 weeks (this is what we’d need if we wanted enough for our heavily exposed frontline workers who are consuming huge quantities and for everyone to wear one when they leave their home).

The French government recently mentioned they have ordered 1 billion masks mostly from Chinese suppliers, but they are only able to take delivery of small fraction of this in the short term.

Chinese production has ramped up massively though and agree availability will improve. But realistically international supply is still constrained (China and other Asians countries have enough because they logically keep their own production for their own use first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In many countries a majority of people have some kind of underlying condition, such as the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

2.1% of 7,000,000,000 people on the planet is 147,000,000 people with no underlying conditions dead only...... phew, was starting to get worried there for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

As someone said before they will say masks are useful when they have enough of a supply.

We are a small country, the government could easily get 1 or 2 masks for each household. Go out to the shop once a week for shopping and use the mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

That's not a bad statistic. 2% of the 1-3% of the people that did if the disease is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

2.1% of 7,000,000,000 people on the planet is 147,000,000 people with no underlying conditions dead only...... phew, was starting to get worried there for a minute.

And that's also a lot of families in mourning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

How come Prince Charles , or Boris, or Tom Hanks didn't end up dead. All older, all unfit .
    Being old, unfit, with underlying conditions doesn't mean you automatically get very sick or die. It just means you have more of a risk.

2.1% of the 2% of people who died from the virus. Not 2.1% of the worlds population.

This is obviously nonsense but what exactly do the conspiracy folk think is happening here, who do they think is benefiting from everyone staying at home and a population in fear that seemingly every government in the world is collaborating in?

I will throw this into the mix,

If any government wanted to ever carry out something covertly, now is a good time for them to do it with so many people being off the streets and no one would really bat an eyelid now if they seen a large convoy of military trucks trundle down their local street.

That's being facetious.

We are a small country, the government could easily get 1 or 2 masks for each household. Go out to the shop once a week for shopping and use the mask.

In many countries around Europe people make masks at homes these days. They even provide these to local healthcare workers (not surgeons obviously). I guess not much tailoring/sewing skills left in Ireland. All computer gigs now so nobody able to make the masks.

Fart wrote: »
    And that's also a lot of families in mourning.

Omg you not read the statistic. It's 2.1% of the people that died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

robinph wrote: »
    Cleaning the roads was a couple of months ago when less was known about how it spread. Once you don't lick the soles of your shoes on returning home after walking through a bucket of someone else's flegm and spit then you should be OK.

Unlikely an adult would do that.

But for those with children, a crawling child might lick their hands after crawling on the floor.

Do you really want to risk CV getting into your house, whether its on the soles of your shoes or otherwise?

I agree about the Chinese over-reaction, but, its a novel virus, we are still learning about it. It might be harmless on the ground, it might not be. The ground is a surface as well after all. Personally I'm leaving nothing to chance. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A key factor seems to be how healthy the person who contracts it is. Those who are already sick and with serious underlying conditions are much more at risk of passing away.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    2.1% of the 2% of people who died from the virus. Not 2.1% of the worlds population.

I knew that, but looking at how its taking hold now, and especially how it will inevitably devastate places in Africa, we may very well be looking at huge numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Bob24 wrote: »
    Available to the Chinese general public and from questionable sellers on Taobao yes.

But there certainly isn’t wide availability for international governments in large quantities and from trusted/certified sources.

Ordering a few masks for you online from a random Chinese guy who got then from his local convenience store isn’t the same as our government finding a trusted supplier who can deliver let’s say 100 million of masks in the next 2 or 3 weeks (this is what we’d need if we wanted enough for our heavily exposed frontline workers who are consuming huge quantities and for everyone to wear one when they leave their home). .

The French government recently mentioned they have ordered 1 billion masks mostly from Chinese suppliers, but they are only able to take delivery of small fraction of this in the short term.

They are not from Taobao, they are being shipped directly from a factory in Shanaghi (stuff made in shanghai is the best quality in china) and are ce/fda approved. You think he is going to a convince store to buy ventilators? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Omg you not read the statistic. It's 2.1% of the people that died.

No, I didn't. :D

I hope I'm paying a little more attention to my job whilst working from home.

That's being facetious.

Possibly i would accept that, but the flip side then could also be argued as being facetious.

I think you will find if you have read any of my posts on the previous god knows how many threads i have taken this quite seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This week's bogeymen are - travellers into Ireland, HSE PPE procurement and old people sneaking out for a walk!

Unlikely an adult would do that.

But for those with children, a crawling child might lick their hands after crawling on the floor.

Do you really want to risk CV getting into your house, whether its on the soles of your shoes or otherwise?

I agree about the Chinese over-reaction, but, its a novel virus, we are still learning about it. It might be harmless on the ground, it might not be. The ground is a surface as well after all. Personally I'm leaving nothing to chance. Each to their own.

No idea what the evidence is, but can imagine the virus sitting on the ground with a dust being pulled by the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I think we'll be OK tho. The governments own projection was at the peak 550 people would be in ICU. I've read that we will have close to 1000 beds between public and private so we would be able to cope. The good news is that that was with a projection of 800+ new cases being diagnosed a day around now. Yesterday we saw just 200. We wont see the chaos seen in other countries by the looks of things.

While I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Another week of this will give us a trend.

Personally, I'm disinfecting my shopping, spraying everything touchable in the house and not going anywhere except the shops twice a week max. The only potential source of infection is my wife's job, which is in an essential industry (airline logistics). She's disinfecting her workspace constantly and washing her hands.

And above all we're avoiding touching our faces.

I'm hopeful but there's still a chance of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

You can still tell people to make their own. Your argument is invalid.

I’m not arguing. I’m also tasking about medically approved masks not ones that people are stitching out of cotton and selling.

Medically approved masks are completely different to homemade masks as they are approved for medical use

I knew that, but looking at how its taking hold now, and especially how it will inevitably devastate places in Africa, we may very well be looking at huge numbers.

Come on. That is a reassuring statistic. Overall they reckon that 1% of people that get the virus will die. Now they are saying only 2% of people that die will have no underlying condition. So for every ten thousand people that get it 100 will die of those 100 people only two of them will not have had an underlying condition.

• Advertisement

Just proves that the whole virus scare is a hoax.
    US surpassed China because they count deaths differently. In China if you already had damaged lungs and you die after contracting the virus it's not counted as a COVID-19 death. If you're fat and you smoke at 70 it's obvious you shouldn't blame the flu but them drinking Coke syrup and eating hamburgers all day.
    Every year the flu 'kills' lots of old people. The only thing different now is the fast spread so instead of the dying a year from now they will die this month.

Yeh like Americans aren't known to be obese and eat burgers all day? Some of them eat nothing but fast food. CV will cut a swathe through middle America. Many have underlying conditions related to obesity - high blood pressure, diabetes, the works. I believe African-Americans for example have the highest rate of diabetes in the world. Then you have states like Florida which will have half their populations wiped out.

Nope its not a hoax at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They are not from Taobao, they are being shipped directly from a factory in Shanaghi (stuff made in shanghai is the best quality in china) and are ce/fda approved. You think he is going to a convince store to buy ventilators? haha

For sure some people are making money with this and I am not saying there is no supply at all, but again there currently isn’t *enough* supply for the whole world.

I mean, even medical workers in many Western countries are complaining they don’t have enough protective equipment. Do you genuinely believe the reason they don’t is because their governments are too cheap to buy it for them, rather that simply being due to a lack of supply?

2.1 % of the people who DIED in Italy had no underlying condition.

3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the World Health Organization (WHO) as of March 3.. 3.4% is based on number of positive cases confirmed. But there will be many more unreported cases, so..

when all is said done, it is estimated that the overall mortality rate will be about 0.6% which is 6 times that of the regular flu.

0.6% is enough to cause strain on any country's medical resources.

Come on. That is a reassuring statistic. Overall they reckon that 1% of people that get the virus will die. Now they are saying only 2% of people that die will have no underlying condition. So for every ten thousand people that get it 100 will die of those 100 people only two of them will not have had an underlying condition.

Is a pre-diabetic condition classified as an underlying condition?

If so, a lot of people qualify.

While I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Another week of this will give us a trend.

Fergal Bowers said on the News at One that he's heard indications are that modelling suggests ICU cases will be at the lower end of the projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Best one I heard is that the asteroid due to pass "relatively close" [in an astronomical sense] by the earth on April 29th actually has a high chance of hitting us!!:eek:

The coronavirus quarantine is a way to get us all to shelter in place without the worldwide panic an announcement of a possibly imminent asteroid strike would bring. If it doesn't collide then everything will be quickly back to normal in May apparently.

All makes perfect sense to me! :D

voluntary wrote: »
    No idea what the evidence is, but can imagine the virus sitting on the ground with a dust being pulled by the wind.

As the other poster said, possibly phlegm or the like. Who knows. Do we have any stats on how long it can survive on concrete? We know its a pretty robust virus that can survive in conditions ranging from cold to hot weather.

But as I said each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Hungary seems to be adopting the strongman approach preferred by some on here

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1244613131806130182?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

grouchyman wrote: »

I like the 'spreading fake news and rumours' bit I have to say. Should be dealt with very strongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Have followed the infection rates daily at frequent intervals.

We seem to be seeing lower infection rates in Europe for 2pm as opposed to the same time late last week. Hopefully it's the start of a trend. Though I know we need a few days of this. But it's roughly a fortnight on, or more, from most countries 'lockdowns', here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Best one I heard is that the asteroid due to pass "relatively close" [in an astronomical sense] by the earth on April 29th actually has a high chance of hitting us!!:eek:

The coronavirus quarantine is a way to get us all to shelter in place without the worldwide panic an announcement of a possibly imminent asteroid strike would bring. If it doesn't collide then everything will be quickly back to normal in May apparently.

All makes perfect sense to me! :D

It won't hit us.

As the other poster said, possibly phlegm or the like. Who knows. Do we have any stats on how long it can survive on concrete? We know its a pretty robust virus that can survive in conditions ranging from cold to hot weather.

But as I said each to their own.

There was a podcast at the weekend by two American virus experts who felt the risk of Covid on surfaces was overstated. Whilst it is quite possible in theory to contract it from a surface, their research indicates that the overwhelming number of cases are coming from human to human contact.

That unfortunatly is going to be the negative side of this. Governments giving wide ranging powers that will never be given up. I have some support for tracking phones to identify close contacts but I feel if that power is given to the government during this crisis it may never be given up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I like the 'spreading fake news and rumours' bit I have to say. Should be dealt with very strongly.

Not in a democracy, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

It won't hit us.

LOL I know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hungary leaving the EU soon so. Or will be thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not in a democracy, no.

I hear you. Just annoying all the shíte being passed around by idiots these days!

Our parliament is suspended as is the House of Commons and probably every parliament in the world.

You're a bit late I'm afraid.

Next you will be pointing us to some country which imposed draconian measures such as limiting people to within 2km of their home or only meetings of 2 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I hear you. Just annoying all the shíte being passed around by idiots these days!

It is annoying but they have a right to post whatever they want and say whatever they want.

Who defines what's true? The government? No thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement