Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

Rightly or wrongly, China will face a reckoning when this is over. The way the world looks at China, socially, economically and from a trade perspective, will never be the same

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/icj-moves-unhcr-against-china-for-covid-19-reparations/articleshow/74965784.cms?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=iOSapp&utm_source=WhatsApp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

con747 wrote: »
    France reported 1355 yesterday after they were made include the cases that died from the virus in nursing homes. Up until then they only reported hospital deaths. I wonder if all countries include ALL virus related deaths not just the hospital cases.

But that does not fit his anti Tory rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 3 April 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-03.png?itok=gmfnxc8K

Definite flattening of the curve for daily cases in Europe over the last 9 days and the trend seems to be downwards now.

Light at the end of the tunnel ?

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 3 April 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-03.png?itok=gmfnxc8K

Definite flattening of the curve for daily cases in Europe over the last 9 days and the trend seems to be downwards now.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Can we really say that 9 days is sufficient sample size to determine if we “definitely flattening the cueve”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it's just me but this looks a bit strange :D

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/summary/

Screenshot-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Rightly or wrongly, China will face a reckoning when this is over. The way the world looks at China, socially, economically and from a trade perspective, will never be the same

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/icj-moves-unhcr-against-china-for-covid-19-reparations/articleshow/74965784.cms?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=iOSapp&utm_source=WhatsApp.com

Will the Chinese get reparations from the UK for the opium wars, first though?

Those lads dont seem to have much of a presence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Council_of_Jurists. Two line entry.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Can we really say that 9 days is sufficient sample size to determine if we “definitely flattening the cueve”?

Yes. An exponential increase cant be hidden in 9 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hard to know. Our daily data is still a 9-10 days old given the delays in testing and results. Whatever the HSE report today is over a week old.

Whats the lag in the rest Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Or are many countries running out of things like reagent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

There's nothing to indicate the next consignment won't have similar issues. Which is why you ask someone to sign off on these consignments before they leave China. Even the WHO could do it.

Because Irish Government do not want to question the quality of Chinese products in front of Chinese officials in Beijing warehouse? I guess boxes only opened on arrival in Ireland.

chinappe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

FVP3 wrote: »
    Yes. An exponential increase cant be hidden in 9 days.

German figures are missing from that graph.

Compare it to the previous 9 days, when it was definitely on the way up.

I feel hopeful about the shape of the infection curve, but of course I may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Aerlingus from Beijing just landed

The USA have agents in China at the moment buying up PPE destined for other countries at x2 and x3 the price

Longing wrote: »
    German figures are missing from that graph.

The german figures are also not exponential.

The USA have agents in China at the moment buying up PPE destined for other countries at x2 and x3 the price

Strange that, given how bad quality the Chinese PPE is? Maybe the US are taking the good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

684 deaths in the UK in last 24 hours - new record.

The german figures are also not exponential.

Still missing. Why is a graph posted with false data. I know you didn't post it. Yes thankfully the trend is downwards.

Hard to know. Our daily data is still a 9-10 days old given the delays in testing and results. Whatever the HSE report today is over a week old.

Whats the lag in the rest Europe?

I have no idea about the lag for the rest of Europe.

But I imagine it is the same as it was 18 days ago

But it's a snapshot taken at the same time every day... and it's the only pan European data we have to go on.

I am hopeful... that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

684, I believe (3,605-2,921).

Twelve new deaths in NI, bringing their total to 48.

Still missing. Why is a graph posted with false data. I know you didn't post it. Yes thankfully the trend is downwards.

Well yes, that is weird. Not denying that it is odd that germany wasnt included in a graph for Europe when many tiny countries were. Still I was answering a question on that graph.

• Advertisement

Actually Germany recorded 6,813 yesterday a increase of 700+ from what that chart is showing from previous day.

So 6,813 needs to be added. Still think its decreasing.

Updated Germany cases increase further today: 8978. Deaths today: 253.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Wombatman wrote: »
    It's still all relative to population size.
    Only after the virus has had its chance to work its way through that population, which will take longer for a larger population.

In a larger population a virus can continue to spread for longer and at an ever increasing rate if not brought under control and therefore has a greater potential for its propagation rate and the numbers presenting for medical care to spiral out of control.

When infection + exposure rates are significantly lower than the rates needed for herd immunity begin to gave any significant effect comparing absolute numbers is more relevant to how well the outbreak is being managed in different areas / countries.

At this time relative numbers are a good inducation how the effect might be felt within an area / country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Not all swabs processed daily were taken the same day.

Samples are processed according to priority; hospitalised patients, healthcare workers, people in the community.

The numbers realised daily is a mixture of all categories.

Actually Germany recorded 6,813 yesterday a increase of 700+ from what that chart is showing from previous day.

So 6,813 needs to be added. Still think its decreasing.

The same thing happened with Italian data on the 15th of last month... it was added the next day.

I imagine there was some glitch in receiving the German figures today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Is this covid 19 tedium the new norm until you get sick?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

The death toll from the Orwellian lock down will far exceed that from the virus that the vast majority of people recover from in a week. Suicide alone will spike massively, especially when people realise they have no jobs to go back to.

2 weeks for mild symptoms and 4 to 6 weeks for more severe cases, unless you have a source that says the majority recovered from this in a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Source? Any report I have seen said some.

There's issues around procurement and proper checking of procured products. This appears to be the problem.
    There also appears to be problems around testing, stuff tested, passed and then rejected by front line staff.

Why are we making these mistakes has to be the question.

I've also noticed there are some people on here will never criticise government or the HSE, no matter how many mistakes they make. This is a licence to make even more mistakes with relative impunity.

Mistakes should be called out. To ignore them is not helpful. It just leads to poor standards across the board.

The sensitivity of some people to criticism of any kind is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

RIGHTLY

The same thing happened with Italian data on the 15th of last month... it was added the next day.

I imagine there was some glitch in receiving the German figures today.

German figures were just updated now. I think that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

China clearly have doctored the numbers, or it could be they actually shut Wuhan down, not the '' lock down'' the rest of the world has done. Packed trains and buses in UK and Europe is not a lock down, the Chinese jaws drop when they see it. It's a virus, it can't be negotiated with ...
    Boris , '' so Mr Virus, we''ll shut down a tad, and in return you'll not infect people, deal? , or what is it you'd like us to do??''

Virus '' Die, die, DIE! ''

The half measures of the West is not working. The amount of people still out and about is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

Around 1800 deaths in UK in 3 days. Scary. 3605 in total. So around 50% is just from last 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am having a big problem with my wife's volunteering. I want to support it but she is too passive and she is endangering herself and others because of a greedy doctor she is babysitting for.

I should start by saying we live in the us before I incur the wrath of tired Irish medical staff. My wife since she is not working, volunteered to babysit for medical staff, which I am ok with even with the extra risk, we need to work together etc.

To my absolute dismay, they insisted on paying her(we don't need anymore happy to do it for free) which made me suspicious . So it turns out the husband who works in urgent care runs a legal cannibas delivery business, which he is still f*cking running, dozens of deliveries per day, meeting lots of people, does not even wash his hands when he returns home. I am so pissed, he brags that she should get into the weed business because it's pays more than medicine, all why endangering our lives, for something that we decided would be a good way to give back to people under pressure. She won't confront him, I don't want to be the bad husband who dictates what his wife can do with her life but this is absolute madness right?

paw patrol wrote: »
    Russia seems to be handy out the supplies and man power like mad.
    Italy , Iran and even USA received stuff. probably for future friendship and good PR ...

Whatever your view on Russia it's clear china isn't the only show in town

Didn't someone mention that the stuff sent from Russia to Italy was useless

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/03/26/from-russia-with-love-putins-medical-supplies-gift-to-coronavirus-hit-italy-raises-questions/

Hopefully corrected if inaccurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

China clearly have doctored the numbers, or it could be they actually shut Wuhan down, not the '' lock down'' the rest of the world has done. Packed trains and buses in UK and Europe is not a lock down, the Chinese jaws drop when they see it. It's a virus, it can't be negotiated with ...
    Boris , '' so Mr Virus, we''ll shut down a tad, and in return you'll not infect people, deal? , or what is it you'd like us to do??''

Virus '' Die, die, DIE! ''

The half measures of the West is not working. The amount of people still out and about is crazy.

Have you a solution?

The lockdown is currently extremely draconian and the govt know that they can't impose it for to long or people will start ignoring it.

The potential economic damage that will be caused by a lockdown could far outweigh the damage done by Covid.

People don't like hearing the practicalities of it and will scream about peoples health etc but that is also affected by a **** economy.

I think the Govt will look to relax restrictions on people travelling to work soon. They can't afford not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Panrich

I am having a big problem with my wife's volunteering. I want to support it but she is too passive and she is endangering herself and others because of a greedy doctor she is babysitting for.

I should start by saying we live in the us before I incur the wrath of tired Irish medical staff. My wife since she is not working, volunteered to babysit for medical staff, which I am ok with even with the extra risk, we need to work together etc.

To my absolute dismay, they insisted on paying her(we don't need anymore happy to do it for free) which made me suspicious . So it turns out the husband who works in urgent care runs a legal cannibas delivery business, which he is still f*cking running, dozens of deliveries per day, meeting lots of people, does not even wash his hands when he returns home. I am so pissed, he brags that she should get into the weed business because it's pays more than medicine, all why endangering our lives, for something that we decided would be a good way to give back to people under pressure. She won't confront him, I don't want to be the bad husband who dictates what his wife can do with her life but this is absolute madness right?

I'd certainly be very annoyed in your position. Can she ask to get re-assigned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Aerlingus from Beijing just landed

I hope they did some quality control on the stuff on that flight. Seems very short turnaround since they found issues with the first batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

It was in January and February. Australia has now banned exporting medical supplies to China.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/australia-was-drained-of-masks-for-china/3981857/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/china-bulk-bought-medical-supplies-abroad-before-crisis-hit-556gj7gn3

I remember reading these news from various European countries. I'll post if I can find them.

Found more. This was actually reported in several newspapers here in Ireland.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/coronavirus-face-masks-dublin-sold-17689683

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/big-surge-number-face-masks-21429258

Other countries. These are some of the articles I could find.

Chinese oil company urging Chinese to send home supplies:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/china-implores-employees-and-clients-to-scour-world-for-masks

USA:

China’s virus outbreak triggers a global run on face masks

"While the rush is global, Chinese people living abroad have been buying masks - especially the popular N95 variant made by 3M Co. - to send back to family members or resell them online, often via Tencent's WeChat messaging app."

Canada:

Brossard's Chinese community shipping masks to loved ones in China

Estonia:

Chinese man living in Tallinn sends 20,000 masks to China

UK:

Chinese students and tourists buy 12,000 face masks in Edinburgh pharmacy to send home to families

Sweden:

https://www.vk.se/2020-02-28/coronaviruset-hyllorna-med-andningsskydd-ekar-tomma-i-umea

“It is largely Chinese who, since the outbreak of the corona virus, have visited Procurator to provide themselves, but also friends and acquaintances, with respiratory protection. Some have even bought shelter to send them to needy people in China.”

Finland:

Face masks and hand sanitizer disappear from stores: Finland’s Chinese send goods to fight coronavirus

Finnish Chinese have delivered more than one hundred thousand face masks to China to control the coronavirus

That's all I could find for now but it has been very organised behaviour. But can I blame them? No. Now it's us trying to find supplies wherever we can.

I hope they did some quality control on the stuff on that flight. Seems very short turnaround since they found issues with the first batch.

Sure you said a few posts back you would be happy with a basic 5 min check

Have you a solution?

The lockdown is currently extremely draconian and the govt know that they can't impose it for to long or people will start ignoring it.

The potential economic damage that will be caused by a lockdown could far outweigh the damage done by Covid.

People don't like hearing the practicalities of it and will scream about peoples health etc but that is also affected by a **** economy.

I think the Govt will look to relax restrictions on people travelling to work soon. They can't afford not too.

Why can’t the afford to? Serious question?

Do you think people will care about work if their loved one get sick or dies because some people don’t want the restrictions in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

weisses wrote: »
    No point ... If you cannot differentiate between Mild moderate and severe

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30198-5/fulltext

Children who had ground-glass opacities also had pneumonia ... which by definition is not a mild symptom ....Article I posted state that Mild pneumonia is considered a moderate symptom.

Do you understand this ? ...

That article does not make that claim btw.

And you making that claim does not make it so.

Can you read?
    Perhaps you could deal with your ignorance of the subject by at least doing some fuking research before castigated others.
    According to the report from the WHO–China Joint Mission on COVID-19, 80% of the 55 924 patients with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 in China to Feb 20, 2020, had mild-to-moderate disease, including both non-pneumonia and pneumonia cases, 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

Individuals including children who were found to positive for covid19 but otherwise asymptomatic also exhibited 'ground glass opacities' and damage to lung tissues after contracting the disease
    Cases in children have been rare. Although most cases appear to be mild, all patients admitted to the hospital have pneumonia with infiltrates on chest x-ray and ground glass opacities on chest computed tomography.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2760782?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=content-shareicons&utm_content=article_engagement&utm_medium=social&utm_term=021020#.XkFCH5nPAnl.twitter

Plenty other references to this out there btw. Knock yourself out.

Dont understand that?

Grand. Try this from the BBC...

80% develop mild symptoms - fever and cough and some may have pneumonia

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51048366

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Panrich wrote: »

Yeah that's probably the way to go about it.
    Convince her that it will help the community more if she works for a more considerate healthcare professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

2 nhs nurses died today among 600+ others.
    Rip to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I feel uneasy about the allocation of €1.1m towards the arts. Nothing against the arts but the money would be better spent on homelessness. No Irish person should have to sleep rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why can’t the afford to? Serious question?

Do you think people will care about work if their loved one get sick or dies because some people don’t want the restrictions in place?

The country can't afford the cluster **** of the 350euro payment for long. That's one reason.

The country can't afford another long term recession that's another reason.

And the answer to your other question.

Yes I think people will care about being out of work and having no income even if loved ones die. It doesn't mean they care less. It's human nature. The two of them aren't linear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

holyhead wrote: »
    I feel uneasy about the allocation of €1.1m towards the arts. Nothing against the arts but the money would be better spent on homelessness. No Irish person should have to sleep rough.

If we give any more money to either the “homeless” or the arts then there will be nothing left to get this country back up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Panrich wrote: »

Yes I'll ask, she enjoys it now, knows the kids etc. The problem is that the state has declared medical cannibas an essential service. I am sure they did not mean home deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

splinter65 wrote: »
    If we give any more money to either the “homeless” or the arts then there will be nothing left to get this country back up and running.

This money to the arts is happening its not a case of if!

The country can't afford the cluster **** of the 350euro payment for long. That's one reason.

The country can't afford another long term recession that's another reason.

And the answer to your other question.

Yes I think people will care about being out of work and having no income even if loved ones die. It doesn't mean they care less. It's human nature. The two of them aren't linear.

Central bank estimated that unemployment could hit 25% by end of summer, given that 4% usually always unemployed thats 21% of the workforce that will be unemployed- that means there are still 79% working in some capacity.

The recession that follows won’t be like the other one - which was driven on collapse of banks. This is a world wide issue - and which case once the vaccine gets rolled out - economies with get back on their feet.

You can’t blame anyone for the recession that’s coming - society will work together and get the country running again just like society is working together to fight this virus and help the vulnerable of our society.

It won’t be the governments fault that they’ll be a recession and equally it won’t be the government actions that get us out of if - but I guarantee you that you’ll have hundreds of posters saying it will be their fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

2 nhs nurses died today among 600+ others.
    Rip to them

Very sad. A few weeks ago one of the Docs told us that by the end of this we will all know someone who ends up seriously ill or worse because of this. We kind of just nodded at him not really believing him. We now have several staff members positive (Nurses and HCA's), luckily all doing okay so far. But he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement