Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

paw patrol wrote: »
    Russia seems to be handy out the supplies and man power like mad.
    Italy , Iran and even USA received stuff. probably for future friendship and good PR ...

Whatever your view on Russia it's clear china isn't the only show in town

80% of the Russian gear was defective according to La Stampa.
    That was just an internal PR exercise for Putin.

https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/03/25/news/coronavirus-la-telefonata-conte-putin-agita-il-governo-piu-che-aiuti-arrivano-militari-russi-in-italia-1.38633327

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

All of the PPE will shortly be in a big hole in the ground regardless of it being suitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if Ireland reports median age.

Just look at the average age of deaths in other counties and it in the 80's. So unless Ireland is doing something terribly wrong and our young people are dying I would say Ireland's average death rate is in line with other countries...aka elderly people

Just provide back up to your claims - it should be easy - a reputable source is all I’m asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

These are illegals. Not asylum seekers, or people who have migrated legitimately. We are rewarding crime and people who broke the law yet provide much less to the Irish, asylum seekers and migrants. People like my uncle who lost their jobs just before the government copped on, a job they worked in for 19 years they lost because of cv19. They were audited and is only getting €204?? Disgusting!!!!

:confused:

No he wasn't, absolute fantasy.

Please take the racist BS elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Wombatman wrote: »
    Don't you need a PPS number to claim?

That what I thought as well but some actually have PPS numbers and how that's fcuking possible is beyond me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The weather forecast for the start of next week is worrying.

Normally it would be good but I just hope people stay home and don't be stupid at the sight of a bit of sun and warmth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I don't get this 350 a week thing ,

Now I'm lucky I have never been on the dole in my life and again I'm lucky i'm still working but iv noticed last two months I have spent way less than I normally would,

Basically all Iv spent money on is mortgage/bills and food, nothing none essential , Why do people on the dole all of a sudden need more money ?

I'm not giving out about it I'm asking what is the reason ?
    Surely iv missed something obvious here ?

Is this just for people new to the dole because of this ?

Why do people suddenly out of job need more than the dole, if the dole amount has been considered adequate?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Probably the ones guaranteed their income in spite of this.

Talk to lads gone from 700 or 800 a week to 350 and they will more than likely have a different opinion.

Can't believe the **** I'm reading

Boggles wrote: »

Maybe it isn't the best word to use but it was his first time ever having to apply for social welfare and they thoroughly checked him out. Docs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Well, let's wait and see.
    Donohoe has to up his game with the banks if the 'goodwill' to FG is to sustain for a start.
    The fact is, the schemes are in place.

I agree, but if the banks are allowed to dip in to everyone's pockets for fees & interest again in the next 2 quarters, then I'm voting for SF next time.

Even Eir have postponed their planned introduction of email account charges.

Also, my suppliers are not harrassing me for payments that are now late.

The banks need to be rendered obsolete for all but the large companies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

bilston wrote: »
    So the death toll in the UK has just surpassed China's...how can anyone take China's figures seriously at this stage.

Almost 40,000 dead in Europe, 13 times the amount to die in China...hmmmm

Yeah.

China hiding their deat figures done the rest of the world no favours.

Should still have acted way quicker but would have if China released the real figures which is probably closer to 100,000 deaths rather than 3,000

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Good. I won't miss a phone or TV. Some things are more important than luxuries.

More populist tripe.

How are you typing on this forum?

Phone? PC? You using data or broadband?

ITman88 wrote: »
    Expect to pay €5000 for a phone or tv, affordable luxuries will disappear if we move to European only production.

I loved the 1980s and am glad that we are heading back there! I have my old ZX Spectrum somewhere in the attic.....

Boggles wrote: »

A classic "that's racist" from you. No race was mentioned, simply ILLEGALS!

I loved the 1980s and am glad that we are heading back there! I have my old ZX Spectrum somewhere in the attic.....

Ironically you want to go back to a time period where the most vulnerable to covid won’t exist because of a much shorter life expectancy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bilston wrote: »
    The weather forecast for the start of next week is worrying.

Normally it would be good but I just hope people stay home and don't be stupid at the sight of a bit of sun and warmth

On the other hand, warm weather and sunshine might be just what we need in terms of people's immune systems. It's unclear yet whether Covid is a seasonal flu like virus, but we should actually hope and pray it is.

Ironically you want to go back to a time period where the most vulnerable to covid won’t exist because of a much shorter life expectancy!!

But it was the most fun decade of them all....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Don't be so dramatic, unless you're over 85 the odds of you dying are extremely low

What the hell are you talking about?

You have over a 15% chance of dying if you're over 80.

How is that "extremely low"?

If you're over 70 you are also in a high risk bracket.

If you're in your 40s or 50s it's still like 1%, which is hardly "extremely low" for being put into the ground. Many in their 30s have also died.

Up to 20% of young people getting it require ICU or ventilators or they will die also.

Many of us have other respiratory conditions and don't know how things are going to go.

You ****ing eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

A classic "that's racist" from you. No race was mentioned, simply ILLEGALS!

Undocumented people are being given dole money so they and their families don't die on the streets.

I'm delighted a little of my tax contributions over the last two decades are going to help them in these awful circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Passed by the testing Centre that was opened up in the grounds of moyle rovers gaa club outside Clonmel this morning.totally locked up and not a sinner to be seen.is there any testing going on at all.and I passed it after 11am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Strazdas wrote: »
    On the other hand, warm weather and sunshine might be just what we need in terms of people's immune systems. It's unclear yet whether Covid is a seasonal flu like virus, but we should actually hope and pray it is.

Not sure lads where this good forecast is coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

UK again hit hard....684 deaths today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe it isn't the best word to use but it was his first time ever having to apply for social welfare and they thoroughly checked him out. Docs etc.

If he is under 66 and was made unemployed because of this he is entitled to 350.

But he doesn't exist does he?

He was conjured up to have a pop at the fordinners?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Boards.ie number 1: If a thread continues for long enough, at some point someone will turn it into a dole and/or immigrant bashing thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

More populist tripe.

Populism this populism that. Expect a lot more ‘populism’ coming down the pike. consciousness has been raised and owning an electronic device doesn’t preclude anyone from wanting to change the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Does it really? I'm assuming you are talking about suicide? I don't remember there being 10 - 15 suicides per day during the last recession. But there are 10 - 15 deaths now due to COVID-19.

I'll concede that there will be health cutbacks in a recession and that will claim a few lives but it's nowhere near the potential for death that COVID-19 poses if it was allowed to run rampant through society.

Is this not eugenics though? We can't quantify Covid deaths and subsequent suicides. So you're saying those we know will die from Covid, mostly older and sick people are not as important as a younger cohort who lose their jobs?

And we can quantify how many will die from Covid much more easily than economic effect. Just eugenics dressed up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

josip wrote: »
    Please stop posting geopolitical crap 'La Stampa ... but Italian officials speaking anonymously to La Stampa...'

This is just a small part of an orchestrated campaign against Russia and China, a similar anti-US campaign is going on in the opposite direction.
    Both sides have their 'useful idiots' in various media.

Two things to bear in mind, EU is also in US crosshairs, US is pending lavishly on PPE and other COVID-19 related supplies from China.

If you're in your 40s or 50s it's still like 1%, which is hardly "extremely low" for being put into the ground. Many in their 30s have also died.

Up to 20% of young people getting it require ICU or ventilators or they will die also.

Many of us have other respiratory conditions and don't know how things are going to go.

You ****ing eejit.

Your stats/facts are completely incorrect.

You have forgotten the most important part that the thousands that have covid, and have no idea they have it could affect your stats 10 fold.

The current stats will look much more favourable at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jebus that's an embarassing post.

So over 15% of all people over 80 in Ireland will die?
    Or 15% of those who contract the virus?

"High risk bracket" - what does that mean exactly?

No it is not 1%.
    "Many" - How 'many' is that?

"Up to 20%" - Sale now on, up to 90% off leading brands

There's that 'many' number again. More or less than the last 'many' ?
    You ****ing eejit.

No, you are.

• Advertisement

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Is this not eugenics though? We can't quantify Covid deaths and subsequent suicides. So you're saying those we know will die from Covid, mostly older and sick people are not as important as a younger cohort who lose their jobs?

And we can quantify how many will die from Covid much more easily than economic effect. Just eugenics dressed up nicely.

No we can’t quantify covid deaths

No we can’t quantify covid deaths

Not fully but we can see the daily reports.

No one has a clue about the economy, most jobs will be there when Covid is over.

It's clear from all your posts you don't rate older or sick people's lives. Yet we're supposed to believe you're gravely worried about post Covid suicides:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

More populist tripe.

Ah this old chestnut again. I've been in the process of distancing myself from anything made in China for the last few weeks such as changing to a smartphone produced in Korea and am prepared to forgo luxuries in that quest. I will be encouraging others to do likewise and iv'e already heard same from several people. If anything this crisis has brought the disgusting practices that China engages in to the fore and will do them great damage long term.

So explain to me what you are going to do if anything or are you happy enough to continue as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Boards.ie number 1: If a thread continues for long enough, at some point someone will turn it into a dole and/or immigrant bashing thread.
    - Forridners
    - Dole scroungers
    - Cyclists
    - Greta

We should make bingo cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No one has a clue about the economy, most jobs will be there when Covid is over.

It's clear from all your posts you don't rate older or sick people's lives. Yet we're supposed to believe you're gravely worried about post Covid suicides:rolleyes:

In fairness to him or her, they are looking for a balance. If you want to go down that line, you could say you do not rate younger peoples lives who may suffer from depression. We need a balance here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Expect to pay €5000 for a phone or tv, affordable luxuries will disappear if we move to European only production.

If we moved alot of production to Europe, fair enough we'd have to pay extra but buying cheap disposable cráp from China/Asia is neither sustainable nor ethical.

If planned obsolescence was made illegal and production was moved to europe, the embodied energy it took to create consumer electronics would be 50% of that of China.

where the power grid is three times as carbon-intensive and 50% less energy efficient than in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭political analyst

Eugenics?!

Nobody is saying that the lives of one age group are more or less important than the lives of another age group.

Eugenics is giving people lethal injections, not letting them die when they're already on their way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bekker wrote: »
    Please stop posting geopolitical crap 'La Stampa ... but Italian officials speaking anonymously to La Stampa...'

This is just a small part of an orchestrated campaign against Russia and China, a similar anti-US campaign is going on in the opposite direction.
    Both sides have their 'useful idiots' in various media.

Two things to bear in mind, EU is also in US crosshairs, US is pending lavishly on PPE and other COVID-19 related supplies from China.
    Poster links to story from unnamed sources, second poster claims that it is an orchestrated campaign against someone. Who to believe? ;)

https://pvewood.blogspot.com/2020/04/on-late-massacre-in-piedmont.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR0PV43MXu-VJSQHcSv36t9Yi9OdCGgTqthGNcloXV4icPgJgqWyDokJMKI
    Friday, 3 April, 2020

On the Late Massacre in Lombardy

In February 1957, a new influenza virus emerged in East Asia, which doctors named A (H2N2) and which was known to the world, in the days before political correctness, as Asian Flu.

It is estimated that Asian Flu killed 1.1 million people around the world and 116,000 in a United States, which then had a population just over half what it is today.

Researchers estimate that about 25 percent of Americans were infected. The American liner the President Cleveland arrived in San Francisco from Japan with 96 percent of its passengers and crew either ill or convalescent.

Nevertheless, in 1957 life in the USA and elsewhere went on pretty much as normal.

There was no lockdown. Is a global lockdown necessary in the face of Covid-19?

If Covid-19 is the pandemic that governments have feared for decades, that can kill a large proportion of the world’s population unless checked, then the answer is yes, but is it?

There are a fair amount of reasons to suggest that we have panicked unnecessarily but, on the other hand, why are the hospitals in Lombardy and Spain in chaos?

It might be partly because the winter was so very mild.

There’s an old saying in England,
    ‘A green winter makes a full churchyard.’
    What that folk wisdom means is that germs that a severe winter kills off supposedly flourish in a mild winter and kill off lots of elderly people.

This winter in Italy the flu was very mild because of the unusually warm weather and killed many fewer older Italians than average, according to a report by the Italian Ministry of Health. The report argued that old people with chronic diseases who survived until February and March then became victims of Covid-19.

This partly explains why many people over 65 have suddenly died in Lombardy, but there are other factors.

Italy’s more than 12,000 deaths have happened mostly in Northern cities and towns, but there overall mortality among people age 65 and over was 6% below an average of previous years. In fact, total number of deaths throughout Europe in March 2020 is less than the total numbers in March 2019.

Large numbers of old and frail people, who were going to die anyway, will die of the Coronavirus, as well as a few younger and healthy people. Far more old and frail people will die in hospital with, not of, it and those deaths will also be added to the death toll in the media in most countries at any rate

On the other hand, the deaths of many people in Italy who die with the virus at home or in nursing homes will go unreported.

In Bergamo and nearby towns deaths in March were many times more than last year, which would strongly suggest that Covid-19 is responsible, but in fact most are not assigned to Covid-19.

What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

rss.tribunecontentagency.com20200402edhan-a-1024x691.tifampp-9aa9a872216e54a8e2ee829abbc8a0ab4975c88f

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness to him or her, they are looking for a balance. If you want to go down that line, you could say you do not rate younger peoples lives who may suffer from depression. We need a balance here.

There's no balance when it comes to saving lives over money, which is what we're doing at the moment.

Covid is the imminent threat to life now. Not economic impacts which can't be predicted.

I place lives over money everyday. If we limit the effect of Covid from 1,600 lives lost to half that, 800, that's a success. And those numbers arent plucked from my ar*e. We have approx 100 dead already. We have to peak and come down from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah this old chestnut again. I've been in the process of distancing myself from anything made in China for the last few weeks such as changing to a smartphone produced in Korea and am prepared to forgo luxuries in that quest. I will be encouraging others to do likewise and iv'e already heard same from several people. If anything this crisis has brought the disgusting practices that China engages in to the fore and will do them great damage long term.

So explain to me what you are going to do if anything or are you happy enough to continue as is?

What smartphone are you using from Korea if you mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

boetstark wrote: »
    Not sure lads where this good forecast is coming from

Early next week I believe.....temperatures starting to rise and more sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What deaths, those by suicide?

You forgetting about the "It's OK to not be OK" that's been everywhere, the trying to destignatise mental health that everyone has been doing?

Give it a ****ing rest, you're getting tiresome.

I'd say you give less than 2 fiddlers ****s about it.

There's an ignore button you're welcome to use - probably better than trying to backseat mod an opinion that you disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Do you really think all the jobs will be there when covid is over? Just curious, aside from your other points. Won’t this send some businesses to the wall the longer they are unable to open. To my logic some won’t have the funds to see them through this. The whole thing is very very sad and bad from start to finish for every person in society from the sick to the well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Early next week I believe.....temperatures starting to rise and more sunshine.
    Not in here! Expect thunder and gloom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Sure you said a few posts back you would be happy with a basic 5 min check

A 5 minute check is better than the zero checking you'd be happy with.

Surely there was some visibility beforehand of what was in the consignment? You know, an inventory or invoice or something? Those things that apply to even the most basic of deliveries let along one that cost millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've been in the process of distancing myself from anything made in China for the last few weeks such as changing to a smartphone produced in Korea and am prepared to forgo luxuries in that quest.

This has to be one of the most unintentionally hilarious sentences on Boards.

Is it a very clever pisstake?

citysights wrote: »
    Do you really think all the jobs will be there when covid is over? Just curious, aside from your other points. Won’t this send some businesses to the wall the longer they are unable to open. To my logic some won’t have the funds to see them through this. The whole thing is very very sad and bad from start to finish for every person in society from the sick to the well.

I do. We have to deal what's infront of us first, namely containing Covid, saving lives.

Lots of interesting stuff online about that.

The deaths so far in Italy are not unusual for that country

The woman with cystic fibrosis in Co. Kerry who spoke online and whose speech was shared widely expressed her dismay about the crowds in Temple Bar. But she would still have had to isolate herself anyway even if the pubs in Temple Bar had been practically empty on that Saturday night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement