Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's a good article in the FT today though suggesting panic and overreacting is probably the safest route to go in the face of a global pandemic. Yes, you risk doing serious damage to your economy but the alternative of doing little and 'business as usual' is probably far riskier (you could end up with several million dead in Europe in that scenario).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ironically you want to go back to a time period where the most vulnerable to covid won’t exist because of a much shorter life expectancy!!
    Eh he's talking about the 1980's not the 1880's. Much shorter life expectancy. Wut? :pac: Life expectancy has barely shifted since then. In some western nations it may actually start to trend down because of the increase in obesity and lifestyle conditions like type 2 diabetes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This has to be one of the most unintentionally hilarious sentences on Boards.

Is it a very clever pisstake?

Finding a smartphone with no parts coming from china or thats not even made in China would be pretty difficult these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lots of interesting stuff online about that.

The deaths so far in Italy are not unusual for that country

Really, they seem to be making a fuss about it?

Trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh he's talking about the 1980's not the 1880's. Much shorter life expectancy. Wut? :pac: Life expectancy has barely shifted since then. In some western nations it may actually start to trend down because of the increase in obesity and lifestyle conditions like type 2 diabetes.

Well it’s 10 years less in the 80s than now! Wut?

That’s a substantial shift!

People have rose tinted glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Nah that goes to your thread on the GAA upsetting your life in Tullamore last summer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

josip wrote: »
    Jebus that's an embarassing post.

So over 15% of all people over 80 in Ireland will die?
    Or 15% of those who contract the virus?

"High risk bracket" - what does that mean exactly?

No it is not 1%.
    "Many" - How 'many' is that?

"Up to 20%" - Sale now on, up to 90% off leading brands

There's that 'many' number again. More or less than the last 'many' ?

No, you are.

Frankly I cannot imagine anyone being as dumb as you are to ask those questions about my simple statements.

If you're legit too dumb to understand simple statements like I made there is no point in reading my posts or trying to explain it to you.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Really, they seem to be making a fuss about it?

Trolling.

It’s in the link below

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

I don’t expect you to read it, I just expect some flippant immature comment

It’s in the link below

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

I don’t expect you to read it, I just expect some flippant immature comment

You're a joke poster. You don't understand any of those articles or anything about this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I do. We have to deal what's infront of us first, namely containing Covid, saving lives.

I really really hope you are right on the jobs front.
    Covid, from faulty tests to faulty equipment to media hysteria... to ‘of ‘ or ‘with covid’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

niallo27 wrote: »
    Finding a smartphone with no parts coming from china or thats not even made in China would be pretty difficult these days.

But the poster is prepared to forgo the luxuries.

What a First-World hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

is_that_so wrote: »
    Poster links to story from unnamed sources, second poster claims that it is an orchestrated campaign against someone. Who to believe? ;)
    Orchestrated campaigns.

Neither, anyone believing anything posted on boards is sadly lacking in critical faculties.

If interested check out both points of view by combing information sources available, and form your own opinion, hopefully more broadly based as a result of your research.

You're a joke poster. You don't understand any of those articles or anything about this virus.

Laughable statements after your ridiculous hysteric stats a few posts back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Don't know how accurate but google did a mobility report on phones in ireland attached is the report (pdf)
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/3/21206318/google-location-data-mobility-reports-covid-19-privacy

Laughable statements after your ridiculous hysteric stats a few posts back!

First of all you are brain dead. You don't know anything, you don't understand anything. Don't for one second think I'm considering talking with you as some sort of argument or discussion, you're a joke.

My stats are the most objective ones available from WHO and worldometers.info

It is widely believed they are underestimates of those actually getting the virus and dying from it. Many more are dying from coronavirus without being tested for it, they are not included. The UK has estimated it could be actually 24% greater or more in their country.

There are also many who are currently in the process of dying and many are left with life altering complications that slash their future life expectancy.

A month ago I might have understood some of your horse****, now it's like you're insane.

You're a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Please explain why you think it's a pisstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There's no balance when it comes to saving lives over money, which is what we're doing at the moment.

Covid is the imminent threat to life now. Not economic impacts which can't be predicted.

I place lives over money everyday. If we limit the effect of Covid from 1,600 lives lost to half that, 800, that's a success. And those numbers arent plucked from my ar*e. We have approx 100 dead already. We have to peak and come down from that.

Why don’t we lockdown every winter in that case - we could save tens of thousands of lives a year in Europe from flu. It’s always a balance, there is no absolute respect for life in any decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What a load of ****e. So hes thought of all these reasons why Italy was hit so hard, every reason under the sun except that COVID is simply a dangerous disease, is this out of date or something? Because the exact same thing is happening in Spain, UK,New York, Belgium and Netherlands, whats the excuse for these countries being similarly hit hard? Italy is no longer an anomally, it was a few weeks ago, but now it is looking increasingly clear that the disaster that happened there will occur anywhere else where covid is out of control

Maybe, much more likely, the world has not overreacted this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Please explain why you think it's a pisstake?

Nah, you're grand thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Alright, alright, calm down, calm down

First of all you are brain dead. You don't know anything, you don't understand anything. Don't for one second think I'm considering talking with you as some sort of argument or discussion, you're a joke.

My stats are the most objective ones available from WHO and worldometers.info

It is widely believed they are underestimates of those actually getting the virus and dying from it. Many more are dying from coronavirus without being tested for it, they are not included. The UK has estimated it could be actually 24% greater or more in their country.

There are also many who are currently in the process of dying and many are left with life altering complications that slash their future life expectancy.

A month ago I might have understood some of your horse****, now it's like you're insane.

You're a joke.

The personal attacks are obviously within forum rules which is a surprise.

Nothing you have stated is based on fact. Nothing.
    It’s articles you have read and decided it’s fact and give you authority to post on forums in the manner you have.
    24% is utter rubbish.
    However you believe what you want, it’s a discussion forum.
    Which you are allowed break the rules of for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

can people refrain from using words i believe, think, it will be, its not true, and other waffle. seems not even a week in and each day this is getting beyond hysteric what $hit people come up with, backed by 0 rationale just pure crap theories, some seem always unhappy, some separated from reality completely, most cant do basic maths, and have 0 expertise but sure i know someone who says its a fact or ive read online this and this should be simply deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

shesty wrote: »

The end of the article:

Chinese medicine

While the new regulations will prohibit the general consumption of wildlife, wild animals will be still be allowed for use in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

Last month the national health commission approved the use of bear bile to treat coronavirus patients. The fluid is milked from the gall bladders of living, caged bears and the active ingredient, ursodeoxycholic acid, is used in TCM to dissolve gallstones and for other treatments.

Conservation group Animals Asia has been calling for an end to bear bile farming in China for many years, saying it is an “immensely cruel industry”. In cases where the active agent does prove effective in medicines, several synthetic alternatives to bear bile are available on the market, the group said in a statement.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭political analyst

wakka12 wrote: »
    What a load of ****e. So hes thought of all these reasons why Italy was hit so hard, every reason under the sun except that COVID is simply a dangerous disease, is this out of date or something? Because the exact same thing is happening in Spain, UK,New York, Belgium and Netherlands, whats the excuse for these countries being similarly hit hard? Italy is no longer an anomally, it was a few weeks ago, but now it is looking increasingly clear that the disaster that happened there will occur anywhere else where covid is out of control

Maybe, much more likely, the world has not overreacted this

So you think he's talking bull - but do you deny his claim that the 1957 pandemic didn't lead to a lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mentally I found this week more difficult than the previous 10 days.

As I wrap up what was a very tough working week from home my prevailing thought is, I will never take the greatness of health, freedom and what we have on our doorstep for granted again.

I like a big annual international holiday but cannot wait until this is over. Next couple of holidays I take is going to be 2-3 weeks in a camper spending money at home in businesses that come through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

One of our own has died as a result of being on the NHS frontline. Mother of 3 kids. Only 39.

Aimee O’Rourke RIP

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8183773/Mother-three-NHS-nurse-36-caught-coronavirus-treating-patients-hospital-died.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

What the hell are you talking about?

You have over a 15% chance of dying if you're over 80.

How is that "extremely low"?

If you're over 70 you are also in a high risk bracket.

If you're in your 40s or 50s it's still like 1%, which is hardly "extremely low" for being put into the ground. Many in their 30s have also died.

Up to 20% of young people getting it require ICU or ventilators or they will die also.

Many of us have other respiratory conditions and don't know how things are going to go.

You ****ing eejit.

I agree with your general gist here but that '20% of young people require ICU' needs some serious citation. We don't have the ability to state that statistically at the moment and I'd regard it as a little too alarmist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Gael23 wrote: »
    All of the PPE will shortly be in a big hole in the ground regardless of it being suitable

The thing about PPE is it either has to be all perfect or not at all.

You can have the best gown and goggles but if your mask is faulty you might as well not bother with anything.

So any PPE we get has to be of the highest standards, all of it, not some of it, otherwise you put healthcare staff at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

What the hell are you talking about?

You have over a 15% chance of dying if you're over 80.

How is that "extremely low"?

If you're over 70 you are also in a high risk bracket.

If you're in your 40s or 50s it's still like 1%, which is hardly "extremely low" for being put into the ground. Many in their 30s have also died.

Up to 20% of young people getting it require ICU or ventilators or they will die also.

Many of us have other respiratory conditions and don't know how things are going to go.

You ****ing eejit.

All your stats are wrong.

Not up to 20% of young people getting it need ICU...20% of ICU are young people but that's two very different things.

Your chances of being under 40, from Ireland and dying from this is less than 0.1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The problem with lockdown vs no lockdown is that Govts had no idea what they were up against and just how serious a risk the pandemic posed. Even now, nobody is sure how many people are infected and whether it is possible the idea of 'herd immunity' to Covid exists.

Given the complete lack of knowledge about this new virus, they didn't have much choice but to lockdown.

Multipass wrote: »
    Why don’t we lockdown every winter in that case - we could save tens of thousands of lives a year in Europe from flu. It’s always a balance, there is no absolute respect for life in any decision.

Well the answer is simple.

This is not an ordinary winter flu.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Can the test results be trusted as the true picture given the slow pace of testing? I mean are they testing people who have symptoms but pass 14 days with the symptoms Im not sure.

Had to shop for me and my parents today - the supermarkets are raking in cash. We’re having to buy all sorts of things from them that we would normally buy elsewhere. They effectively have a monopoly. I think it would be fair for some kind of extra tax on their profits for this period, they should have to give back to this country - especially the multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mentally I found this week more difficult than the previous 10 days.

As I wrap up what was a very tough working week from home my prevailing thought is, I will never take the greatness of health, freedom and what we have on our doorstep for granted again.

I like a big annual international holiday but cannot wait until this is over. Next couple of holidays I take is going to be 2-3 weeks in a camper spending money at home in businesses that come through this.

St Patrick’s day next year is going to be the absolute mother of all Paddy’s days. Sentiments entirely with you mate.

Well the answer is simple.

This is not an ordinary winter flu.

It’s not simple. You said lives over money. Tens of thousands is a lot of lives. Why not lockdown for them?

The personal attacks are obviously within forum rules which is a surprise.

Nothing you have stated is based on fact. Nothing.
    It’s articles you have read and decided it’s fact and give you authority to post on forums in the manner you have.
    24% is utter rubbish.
    However you believe what you want, it’s a discussion forum.
    Which you are allowed break the rules of for some reason

The central statistics office of England is "utter rubbish"?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/england-and-wales-coronavirus-death-toll-40-higher-than-previously-stated

Many more deaths are starting to be disregarded as pneumonia or another illness rather than Covid 19 despite it being the obvious cause.. This is going to increase dramatically in the coming few weeks as they open back the economy.

This is what they're doing in China right now as they are starting to open things back up, with millions of people whistleblowing about it.

Believing the government spiel about the numbers is one thing, it is hard to imagine someone how or why someone would have so little grasp of reality and so clueless as to think they are OVERREPORTING numbers just to tank their own economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

One of our own has died as a result of being on the NHS frontline. Mother of 3 kids. Only 39.

Aimee O’Rourke RIP

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8183773/Mother-three-NHS-nurse-36-caught-coronavirus-treating-patients-hospital-died.html

Oh my god that is awful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Can the test results be trusted as the true picture given the slow pace of testing? I mean are they testing people who have symptoms but pass 14 days with the symptoms Im not sure.

No, they can't. The testing is nothing like a true reflection at all. Not even close.

Yeah in fairness I wonder how some people blank out the fact that people have been dying of starvation daily while we go about our western lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

It’s not simple. You said lives over money. Tens of thousands is a lot of lives. Why not lockdown for them?

Agree with this.

We are absolutely right to have this lockdown.

But people claiming that others are more concerned with the economy, is downright absurd and not taking into account reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So you think he's talking bull - but do you deny his claim that the 1957 pandemic didn't lead to a lockdown?

Of course I dont deny that, do I think its right? Maybe if they had locked down 100k would have died then instead of 1 million

It is simple. You don't lock down for what are considered normal health risks. Colds, seasonal flu, vomiting bugs.

Covid 19 is a novel virus with a higher death rate. It's the unknown extra deaths you're trying to save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When the cinemas open again, you won't see me for dust when I head to our one in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

they should stop reporting number of cases in the daily press conference. the testing program has completely broken down and the data is meaningless. daily deaths and ICU figures are all that matters now.

Had to shop for me and my parents today - the supermarkets are raking in cash. We’re having to buy all sorts of things from them that we would normally buy elsewhere. They effectively have a monopoly. I think it would be fair for some kind of extra tax on their profits for this period, they should have to give back to this country - especially the multinationals.

What would you normally buy outside of a supermarket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shop provides essential service - tax more

Yeah your logic makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The end of the article:

:eek:

The Chinese will still continue with their disgusting practices like cutting fins off sharks and throwing them back into the ocean to starve to death, or encouraging the catching and killing of rhinos and elephants for their ivory, tigers for their claws and many more.

Its time for the Chinese mindset to enter the 21st century including around traditional medicine which for the most part is superstitious bullsh*t.

Or pass it down to their employees for their service during this period.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement