Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

UK death rate heading towards 10% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What time is the briefing today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wow. Per RTE, some of the kit recently acquired from China is not fit for purpose. Meshes with stories from other countries. Sad if true and there's planeloads more of it coming in.

"Part of the consignment of Personal Protective Equipment, which was recently distributed to Covid-19 test centres, mobile ambulance units and hospitals, is being described as "not fit for purpose" and "unusable" by medical staff."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0403/1128300-ppe-covid-19-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Their testing has been practically non-existent so the stat is almost meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Multipass wrote: »
    Why don’t we lockdown every winter in that case - we could save tens of thousands of lives a year in Europe from flu. It’s always a balance, there is no absolute respect for life in any decision.

I’m thinking after this maybe there will be some extra actions taken every winter to reduce flu deaths.

One thing we are seeing is the ease that this spreads in hospitals. New practices should come out of this experience.

Shaking hands at mass should be gone for good. It may be time to get rid of shaking hands at funerals also.

Most people still going to work even though they are in a state with colds and flus may change.

There are many many learnings from this which could be applied to flu season. What is culturally considered appropriate levels of hygiene may be stricter after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

it because they aren't testing widely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Had to shop for me and my parents today - the supermarkets are raking in cash. We’re having to buy all sorts of things from them that we would normally buy elsewhere. They effectively have a monopoly. I think it would be fair for some kind of extra tax on their profits for this period, they should have to give back to this country - especially the multinationals.

That sums it up where you're coming from. Most people wouldn't even notice or care less. But you begrudge them! Just shows what's at the heart of your arguments.

what time is the meeting today?

Whats the difference between avergae, mean and median

Why can't they start the presser on time

I think we will get to 2 million tomorrow

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Why could they not open boxes from batches ,and look at the ppe to see if its the right quality and fit for purpose.They should have heard and learned from other countries .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Their testing has been practically non-existent so the stat is almost meaningless.

It's not meaningless. They are the most accurate stats available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ITman88 wrote: »
    Expect to pay €5000 for a phone or tv, affordable luxuries will disappear if we move to European only production.

My TV was manufactured in Eastern Europe - can't remember where. Also Turkey make lots of TVs and other electronic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Igotadose wrote: »
    Wow. Per RTE, some of the kit recently acquired from China is not fit for purpose. Meshes with stories from other countries. Sad if true and there's planeloads more of it coming in.

"Part of the consignment of Personal Protective Equipment, which was recently distributed to Covid-19 test centres, mobile ambulance units and hospitals, is being described as "not fit for purpose" and "unusable" by medical staff."

You can expect the FG bots along any minute to tell us it was all perfect, best PPE in the world and not the governments fault we are taller or have longer arms than the Chinese.

I'm not convinced the latest consignment is any better given the turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

That what I thought as well but some actually have PPS numbers and how that's fcuking possible is beyond me :eek:

What about these application rules? So anyone getting his has to have worked in the state, right?
    To qualify for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020. If you work shifts, short time or other atypical work patterns you must have been in employment on or after 6 March 2020.
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the pandemic
    Have taken time off work to mind your child because of school or childcare closures and your employer is no longer paying you
    Stopped trading as self-employed due to the pandemic

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

Cheltenham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭political analyst

Considering events in England this week, the lockdown might be causing more deaths than Covid-19 itself!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/murder-probe-hemel-hempstead-coronavirus-lockdown-a4402141.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The end of the article:

:eek:

Don't I know it...ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

Mean and average are the same. Add up the numbers and divide by the number of numbers.

Median is the highest number added to the lowest number and then divided by two.

Median is usually higher than mean, making the age at death seem higher.

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

You could at least spell average right when trying to be smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

My TV was manufactured in Eastern Europe - can't remember where. Also Turkey make lots of TVs and other electronic stuff.

What brand is your TV?

I can't think of many electronic brands not made in China or SK. If they're not, they usually have key components made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What time is the briefing today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mean and average are the same. Add up the numbers and divide by the number of numbers.

Median is the highest number added to the lowest number and then divided by two.

Everyone is now frantically googling median to prove you wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Had to shop for me and my parents today - the supermarkets are raking in cash. We’re having to buy all sorts of things from them that we would normally buy elsewhere. They effectively have a monopoly. I think it would be fair for some kind of extra tax on their profits for this period, they should have to give back to this country - especially the multinationals.

Some are. City centre shops are suffering big time. Some small shops in the city's have closed. Others have gotten busy but their margins have dropped. (No deli business) funny off licence sales have shot up but not as much as I expected.
    I'm hearing 10/20 % growth in bigger shops. Mixed bag in smaller spar/centra type places.
    Retail in ireland is very adaptable, we should be thankful of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Not fully but we can see the daily reports.

No one has a clue about the economy, most jobs will be there when Covid is over.

Complete speculation, can you back this up?

It's clear from all your posts you don't rate older or sick people's lives. Yet we're supposed to believe you're gravely worried about post Covid suicides:rolleyes:

Statements like the least one you have made are typical enough of hurling in the ditch posts, what suggests I’m not worried about older lives, and what suggests I’m gravely worried suicides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

I don't think he was actually asking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Lots of interesting stuff online about that.

The deaths so far in Italy are not unusual for that country

I suppose it depends on which statistics you believe. Others have suggested that not only are deaths in Italy (and elsewhere) far in excess of comparable periods, this excess suggests that Covid19 deaths are being unreported:

https://twitter.com/J_CD_T/status/1245739661449977867

It's not meaningless. They are the most accurate stats available.

They are not remotely accurate, many more people are infected with no symptoms, they are not included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Can the people who will not ever shut up about how silly restrictions are please go and have your party in a different room. Ye are very, very annoying.
    We do not know enough about this thing to be careless. We will know more in a few weeks, and then if we know it is not a freaking calamity, ye can all get back to making lots of lovely dosh and get out of the house away from the missus who ye hardly really knew before and who is now melting yer heads.
    Meanwhile, buckle up bread heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Median is the middle number in a dataset so it removes the extreme outliers influence on the data set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Igotadose wrote: »

Seriously, they must have bought it from Del Boy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italy today
    4,585 new cases and 766 deaths in Italy.

You could at least spell average right when trying to be smart.

you are smart enough for both of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's wrong. The median is the value that separates the high half of a data set from the lower half

Say a 1 year old an 84 year old and an 85 year old die from CV. The median age is not 43.

Median is used rather than average because an extreme value can heavily skew an average in a small dataset.

Statements like the least one you have made are typical enough of hurling in the ditch posts, what suggests I’m not worried about older lives, and what suggests I’m gravely worried suicides

You never shut up about the economy and suicides. You're in a little young man, office, economy bubble. A kind of Tory extreme. Elements of Thatcherism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is there a press conference today or will today's figures be released elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

citysights wrote: »
    Seriously, they must have bought it from Del Boy!!
    Spent over 200 million buying gear from these spoofers. Unreal.

utzTCyo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Achasanai wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on which statistics you believe. Others have suggested that not only are deaths in Italy (and elsewhere) far in excess of comparable periods, this excess suggests that Covid19 deaths are being unreported:

Exactly there is a variance on what stats you believe.
    Other stats suggest the incredibly mild Winter has up to now created a much lower annual death rate.

Until this year is over we won’t know what the death rate will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Leos great

Leos ****e

Have SF dissappeared

anything I missed?

We are going to send China back to the stone age. With a few lads and a hurley stick.

A lot of people regretting not listening in school when the maths teacher was talking about median. They probably thought it was something they'd never need. How wrong they were!

• Advertisement

Italy today

Italy in lockdown 2 weeks before us. This demonstrates how slow the come down is from peak figures 10-12 days ago.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

jackboy wrote: »
    I’m thinking after this maybe there will be some extra actions taken every winter to reduce flu deaths.

One thing we are seeing is the ease that this spreads in hospitals. New practices should come out of this experience.

Shaking hands at mass should be gone for good. It may be time to get rid of shaking hands at funerals also.

Most people still going to work even though they are in a state with colds and flus may change.

There are many many learnings from this which could be applied to flu season. What is culturally considered appropriate levels of hygiene may be stricter after this.

There might be something to taking more care of the flu during winter season, but the flu can not and should not be compared to or even mentioned in the same sentence as this.

The flu is generally something only the elderly die of and even they have a pretty good chance of fighting it off. What's more the flu is rare in itself and is harder to catch, it's not as contagious. When some people do have the flu YES of course you must be very careful around them.

The flu takes people who are on death's door in general, people on beds waiting to die. This is routinely taking immunocompromised people or those in their 50s, 60s and 70s who may be in fine health and have decades of life expectancy left. Here's one example:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/areema-nasreen-death-coronavirus-healthy-nhs-nurse-a4405961.html

This isn't something you can pull out of the past few years like with the flu, this is happening to many people every day. Also the flu occurs over the whole year, there is no extraordinary spike, that's another element to it.

I have personally never heard or read of anyone dying with the flu, especially not a young person. You would now and again hear of celebrities or people well known dying of car crashes or rare cancers or something like that, I don't believe I have ever in my life heard of someone like that dying of the flu, not unless they were really elderly and frail then maybe it was the final thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Do you mean in this case?

In most cases, like wealth and income and so on, the mean is way higher than the median, which is more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Considering events in England this week, the lockdown might be causing more deaths than Covid-19 itself!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/murder-probe-hemel-hempstead-coronavirus-lockdown-a4402141.html

I think there have probably been an increase of suicides and domestic violence across many countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

The briefing is at 5.30pm this evening.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    You never shut up about the economy and suicides. You're in a little young man, office, economy bubble. A kind of Tory extreme. Elements of Thatcherism.

Economy yes, suicides not????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Italy today

Italian testing numbers are back high again.

They were very low for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Achasanai wrote: »

That's scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I cant believe how high the cases and deaths in Italy are remaining. Youd think thered be a significant drop at least by now, its been so long since the lockdown began

• Advertisement

you are smart enough for both of us

Better than being AVERAGE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement