Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    The death total is since the start of this debacle not the start today.

Yes I know, just giving the totals after today's update

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

No chance, at least another week - 10 days is what they seem to be planning towards.

I mean a peak for new cases. They are planning for a peak in ICU cases after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In the UK the coronavirus death number is described as ‘deaths of people who have tested positive for COVID-19’, meaning that they might have died of something relatively unrelated, and might have died anyway. What is the number described as here?

The same. Italy does it the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah it's that average, mean, median nonsense that's been bouncing around here for the week! All about the stats. You can blame the CMO for starting it!

Ahh no, I get that. It was that the red baron said:
    why do you have be so MEAN

and munsterlegend answered:
    If you can’t take it don’t give it.

It looked like he didn't get red baron's joke! (unless "can’t take it don’t give it" is another maths joke, in which case it is me that didn't get it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In the UK the coronavirus death number is described as ‘deaths of people who have tested positive for COVID-19’, meaning that they might have died of something relatively unrelated, and might have died anyway. What is the number described as here?

Well most countries count is that way. Some definitely dont, like China, but majority do currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is this some mathematical joke that I don't understand, or did you not get his joke?

I suggest you keep your nose out of it. A four year old would have got his joke.

Watching the UK presser. I’m increasingly impressed with Matt Hancock.....he seems to be one of the more grown up people I have seen in and around the cabinet in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

tom1ie wrote: »
    What makes you so sure of this?

We have to look at how things have been going to date. It's likely that we have seen the peak of new cases or are in and around the peak now. ICU cases haven't been growing dramatically and the rate of dead hasn't been growing dramatically.

UK now 2nd in the world today in number of new deaths. Things have escalated very quickly there

• Advertisement

I suggest you keep your nose out of it. A four year old would have got his joke.

Jésus, touchy! I seriously wasn't sure if your answer was another play on words that I didn't get. Relax!

wakka12 wrote: »
    UK now 2nd in the world today in number of new deaths. Things have escalated very quickly there

They are in good shape however with respect to ICU capacity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wakka12 wrote: »

Perhaps due to now counting non hospital based deaths?

Jésus, touchy! I seriously wasn't sure if your answer was another play on words that I didn't get. Relax!

I am perfectly relaxed. The original point was if someone is going to be smart at least spell your point correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Any best guesses out there on the hospitalisation and mortality rate yet? I mean worldwide. Are 80% of us or perhaps more going to get it but not have to go anywhere near a hospital? Surely if it's that high then a lot of 70 and 80 odd may not require hospitalisation either? There seemed to be a lot more stats around earlier on in this which is weird considering it's spread so wide now.

speaking from some painful experience there i reckon

Want to expand on those prejudices you have?

• Advertisement

They are in good shape however with respect to ICU capacity

How good? Better than Germany? Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

owlbethere wrote: »
    How was TB treated back in the day?

It was contagious. Merlin park hospital in Galway was an isolation hospital. How was it treated. Did the country go into lockdown?

its not nearly as contagious but it hasn't gone away ye know

People were locked away until they go over it or they didn't

Sometime in huts outhouses etc with food supplies brought and left, tragic really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit annoying if they cut from the UK presser to ours, maybe they are waiting. HSE and RTE must know plenty are keeping a keen eye on across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Its not consider the direct cause of death, but they are included in the stats as person who have died with covid-19...our 98 deaths all tested positive for covid-19, but its not necessarily the reason they passed

In Bergamo 900 people die on average during March. So far this March 5500 have died. I don't think anymore needs to be said about that.

Want to expand on those prejudices you have?

have I hit a nerve? this below averige repartee too much for you

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Any best guesses out there on the hospitalisation and mortality rate yet? I mean worldwide. Are 80% of us or perhaps more going to get it but not have to go anywhere near a hospital? Surely if it's that high then a lot of 70 and 80 odd may not require hospitalisation either? There seemed to be a lot more stats around earlier on in this which is weird considering it's spread so wide now.

The best guess mortality rate is still around 1%. Germany and South Korea have done the most testing in the world and have mortality rates in that region..a bit higher but even with their large number of tests are probably still missing some cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It seems this "lockdown" is starting to show the signs of people cracking under the pressure going by this thread today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then New York population 8 million with 2,935 dead from 102,863 known cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Watching the UK presser. I’m increasingly impressed with Matt Hancock.....he seems to be one of the more grown up people I have seen in and around the cabinet in recent times
    Good explanations of the situation on NHS and clinical trials of potential treatments using existing drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

22 new deaths
    424 new cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

A bit annoying if they cut from the UK presser to ours, maybe they are waiting. HSE and RTE must know plenty are keeping a keen eye on across the water.

I think most of us would rather here ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

deisedevil wrote: »
    In Bergamo 900 people die on average during March. So far this March 5500 have died. I don't think anymore needs to be said about that.

I was referring to only Irish numbers and how they are recorded, as Dr Holohan said last night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

22 deaths and 424 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

424, 22 deaths, still about 11%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

No it's not really.

• Advertisement

Even though it might not be a big % increase on the day before, 424 new cases and 22 deaths seems like a lot to me for a pretty small country. India, Russia , Brazil and some other much larger countries are only reporting around 500 or so new cases daily the last couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

These figures are not nice and we still have 2 weeks to the anticipated peak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

110 currently in ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

its not nearly as contagious but it hasn't gone away ye know

In Australia they tried drugs against TB to fight this virus and it looks promising. I wander if kids are resistant to this novel coronavirus because maybe this vaccine is still fresh in them, so stronger working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

156 ICU admissions - so 8 in one day seems manageable.

fritzelly wrote: »
    It seems this "lockdown" is starting to show the signs of people cracking under the pressure going by this thread today

If I have to watch another Netflix Serial Kill program I might lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I must say I'd disagree.Just listened to him waffling on in an answer to a question about whether their lack of testing in the early stages had cost lives.He answered about what they were proposing to do in relation to future testing rates.

Totally dodged the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

156 in ICU since it began, 110 in ICU currently, 31 discharged, 15 died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Oh for a change from paw patrol

• Advertisement

I think people are putting too much emphasis on a vaccine solution. We know that is too far down the road and no guarantee how effective it is.
    What we should be concentrating on is an effective treatment plan which will save lives and reduce the seriousness of the illness.
    See below for one of many examples of studies looking at an effective treatment:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.22.20040758v2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is that better then yesterday? Or did the 22 all die in the ICU ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

NDWC wrote: »

Interesting - six more discharged, and just one more admitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I would like to see number of tests each day v number of positives.

The more you test the more positives you will get onviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

It isn't 50, obviously. It's 6.
    I won't since cigars are bad for your health. :D

50 would have been result of a previously suggested method.

For illustrative purposes.

Mean: 24.07
    Median: 6
    Mode: 5, 6
    Set: 2,3,4,5,5,5,6,6,6,8,45,67,77,98

splinter65 wrote: »
    Is that better then yesterday? Or did the 22 all die in the ICU ?

No, only 15 people admitted to ICU have died. So most of the deaths appear to be occurring at home/nursing homes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

NDWC wrote: »

Does that mean that only 15 out of the 120 dead were in ICU ?

testing centres mostly back up and running and they seem to have secured a supply

Interesting - six more discharged, and just one more admitted.

16 more admitted. There were 96 in ICU yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

bilston wrote: »
    Even then it will take some time to mass produce a vaccine. I fear this virus will be a problem for 2 years and possibly a bit longer.

Come on mate, you really don't know this, none of us do. Don't waste your energy in getting worked up about something that might never happen. Save your strength for the unlikely scenario that you suggest does actually occur.

Other better entertainment providers remain available.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement