Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

silverharp wrote: »

Alot of evidence points towards China's role in this being much murkier than just allowing wet markets. Some of the biggest Chinese cities saw only 8 deaths. Silencing and disappearing doctors. Massive economic boosts from purchase of equipment from around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

Will the Govt update the Travel advisory that was in place for non essential travel? it still states "until March 29th" on the DFA website.

We cannot travel to offshore Islands, but Irish Ferries can still bring in Passengers to Dublin! Their FB page is full of people wanting refunds but Irish Ferries only willing to offer Free amendment(but fare increases may apply) or cancellation where "any applicable cancellation fee due will be credited for use on a future booking for travel in 2021 on either the Ireland France or Irish Sea routes (subject to availability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Talisman

grouchyman wrote: »
    Hungary seems to be adopting the strongman approach preferred by some on here

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1244613131806130182?s=09
    All hail supreme leader Orban.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Its at times like this I wish I had a PHD...

Infectious disease expert says Government should consider closing Irish borders

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp

He seems like a pretty nice guy from interviews I’ve seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

grouchyman wrote: »
    Hungary seems to be adopting the strongman approach preferred by some on here

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1244613131806130182?s=09

Dangerous times in Hungary. That will not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Bob24 wrote: »
    For sure some people are making money with this and I am not saying there is no supply at all, but again there currently isn’t *enough* supply for the whole world.

I mean, even medical workers in many Western countries are complaining they don’t have enough protective equipment. Do you genuinely believe the reason they don’t is because their governments are too cheap to buy it for them, rather that simply being due to a lack of supply?
    They already ramped up production for the domestic market. I would say China will give you as many masks as you want. It's going to be more of an issue with distribution as anything ran by government is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Our parliament is suspended as is the House of Commons and probably every parliament in the world.

You're a bit late I'm afraid.

Next you will be pointing us to some country which imposed draconian measures such as limiting people to within 2km of their home or only meetings of 2 people.

Hungary is not a liberal democracy like us or the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

chasm wrote: »
    Will the Govt update the Travel advisory that was in place for non essential travel? it still states "until March 29th" on the DFA website.

We cannot travel to offshore Islands, but Irish Ferries can still bring in Passengers to Dublin! Their FB page is full of people wanting refunds but Irish Ferries only willing to offer Free amendment(but fare increases may apply) or cancellation where "any applicable cancellation fee due will be credited for use on a future booking for travel in 2021 on either the Ireland France or Irish Sea routes (subject to availability).

Nope. Because they are idiots on both counts. That has been well established.

You can't go 2 km down the road even though CV is hardly present in most counties.

But they allow the shipping in of people hundreds of miles from the UK and back again without any checks whatsoever.

Clowns.

They always leave a massive hole in any lockdown they bring in, usually going to and from an infection hot spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

joe_99 wrote: »

Hungary has been a fascist dictatorship for some time, these new laws just put cherry on the cake.

Liberal democracies aren't exactly doing too well out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Looks like Spain is on trajectory to overtake Italy as the most affected within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

eagle eye wrote: »
    That was before the change, we have had similar enough figures every day since it was changed, as regards infections, and that isn't going to tell us anything because we are testing under 2k people per day.
    Lots of top mathematicians out there but none of them seem to take into account how low our testing numbers per day are.
    We probably will never know how many people were infected due to the low testing numbers. I did a guesstimate based on people movement versus % infection and my figure is way higher than what anybody else is saying. I was coming up with circa 98k infected and close to 5k deaths. Deaths so high because of our low number of ICU beds. If you like ok at the hardest hit countries their death rates spiralled when they ran out of ICU beds.
    We are carrying out more thasn 2,000 tests a day, and that number is increasing.

We will never know the true number of infected people because many are asymptomatic and will never seek to be tested. That isn't a limitation of the testing process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

silverharp wrote: »

Take it down the mask police will have apoplexy seeing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Talisman

frillyleaf wrote: »
    He seems like a pretty nice guy from interviews I’ve seen
    The CIDR data as of 29/03/2020 13:05 attributes 262 cases (11.8%) to "Travel abroad". Community transmission is by far the largest classification which is why the government have adopted the current measures.

Dangerous times in Hungary. That will not end well.

Essentially they are in a state of war against coronavirus. You only have to look at the restrictions brought in by the UK and US during WW2 to see what happens in emergencies like this. Rationing, locking up of anyone with a surname that is shared by their enemy, curfews, removal of civil liberties.

Par for the course during emergencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Reading through the COVID worldwide stats pages - has anyone else followed this and find the following disturbing …

Closed Cases
    Cases which had an outcome:
    156,588 (82%)
    Recovered / Discharged

35,019 (18%)
    Deaths

Of the cases that have now had an outcome , the death rate has been 18% which is absolutely huge compared to what we have been told of 2-3%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Best one I heard is that the asteroid due to pass "relatively close" [in an astronomical sense] by the earth on April 29th actually has a high chance of hitting us!!:eek:

The coronavirus quarantine is a way to get us all to shelter in place without the worldwide panic an announcement of a possibly imminent asteroid strike would bring. If it doesn't collide then everything will be quickly back to normal in May apparently.

All makes perfect sense to me! :D

Sure we have nothing to worry about re. the asteroid. Bruce Willis will save the world in the nick of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Reading through the COVID worldwide stats pages - has anyone else followed this and find the following disturbing …

Closed Cases
    156,588 (82%)
    Recovered / Discharged

35,019 (18%)
    Deaths

Of the cases that have now had an outcome , the death rate has been 18% which is absolutely huge compared to what we have been told of 2-3%.

Yes but that's because health systems are slow to declare people recovered because its a waste of a vital test. The more important figure is deaths vs confirmed cases and even that would show an elevated death rate compared to what the actual death rate is.

If was not the intent to control the payouts to only those eligible, the government would have just introduced a universal basic income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Irishcrx wrote: »

Closed Cases
    156,588 (82%)
    Recovered / Discharged

35,019 (18%)
    Deaths

the way i read into that is that it's at an early stage in almost every country. at the start, death rates will appear high as the deaths can happen as soon as two weeks. people might be waiting a month+ to be classified as "recovered". Ireland for example aren't prioritizing recovered testing at all yet.

not to mention huge amounts of asymptomatic people not accounted for in the stats.

i still think the final case fatality rate will be somewhere between 1 and 3%.

Marsden35 wrote: »
    Looks like Spain is on trajectory to overtake Italy as the most affected within a couple of weeks.

It's weird how Spain was so badly affected by the 1918 flu that they named it after the country despite it originating in America and now they are being savagely hit again. Is there more to this than sheer bad luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We are carrying out more thasn 2,000 tests a day, and that number is increasing.
    When did we go over 2k testing?
    It was at somewhere between 1700 and 1800 per day only a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Rejecting non applicable claims is a bad move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I just find it ironic that a plane being sent for supplies had a bird strike and had to return to the Airport. Its just our luck.

I think your response is so Irish. WTF is wrong with a large chunk of the population here who seem to think that we as a nation are incapable of doing anything right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Part time workers that don't make that amount.

froog wrote: »
    the way i read into that is that it's at an early stage in almost every country. at the start, death rates will appear high as the deaths can happen as soon as two weeks. people might be waiting a month+ to be classified as "recovered". Ireland for example aren't prioritizing recovered testing at all yet.

not to mention huge amounts of asymptomatic people not accounted for in the stats.

i still think the final case fatality rate will be somewhere between 1 and 3%.

It also doesnt account for asymptotic people who never present and aren't recorded.

If was not the intent to control the payouts to only those eligible, the government would have just introduced a universal basic income.
    They need to issue some kind of universal pandemic payment. There will be people who will not qualify and resort to stealing.

Talisman wrote: »
    The CIDR data as of 29/03/2020 13:05 attributes 262 cases (11.8%) to "Travel abroad". Community transmission is by far the largest classification which is why the government have adopted the current measures.

1 travel related case can lead to numerous community transmission cases. That's how it started in Ireland. A number of people returning from the continent then went on to infect numerous others who went on to infect others.

You actually only need 1% of travel related cases to (in time) cause 99% of community cases.

• Advertisement

Did you even read it. Some of these people applying didn't even have jobs before. No doubt some of our local hero's decided to see if they could cash in. Others were under 18 so likely living with mammy and daddy anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

josip wrote: »
    Can the two of you please sort out which one of you is Jesus ?
    Rock, paper, scissors for it or something.

Waaait.... are you Josip... or Joseph?!?!? Asking for my friend Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

And how many people died from flu this year in Italy. In addition to Covid? We don't know that either. It's likely that similar numbers to previous years. I'm not sure flu deaths stopped this year.

But yes we don't know the true number of excess deaths until later.

In Italy, data from flu patients admitted in ICU is: 157 severe cases (of which, 30 deaths).
    the estimate of flu patients in Italy from the start of the season (mid October) till week 7 of 2020 is of: 5.632.000 cases.

Official Source: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/influenza/stagione-2019-2020-primo-bilancio

from the chart, this flu season 2019-2020 seems less severe than the two previous ones
    2019-2020-primo-bilancio.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

We will never know the true number of infected people because many are asymptomatic and will never seek to be tested. That isn't a limitation of the testing process.
    With all due respect but surely this cannot be correct as by restricting testing to those who have 2 or more symptoms we are missing a large chunk of people who are asymptomatic and only showing 1 symptom?

Did I not read on these threads that due to the number of people who presented to for testing when the criteria was reduced to a single symptom leading to a huge backlog that the HSE/Government tore up the backlog list and revised the criteria to require the 2 or more symptoms.

I understand the shortage of test kits, facilities to carry our and process the tests and the large number of negative tests, but surely if you want to test for asymptomatic carriers you need to testing all who present, no matter how mild their symptoms are?

• Administrators Posts: 54,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

threeball wrote: »
    It's weird how Spain was so badly affected by the 1918 flu that they named it after the country despite it originating in America and now they are being savagely hit again. Is there more to this than sheer bad luck?

Spain wasn’t worse hit by the 1918 flu. Western countries blocked media coverage of the pandemic, while Spain didn’t, which made Spain appear to be worse than other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I think the 2000 has been debunked, we may be testing 2000 and I doubt that with many of the testing station closed. I have not seen any evidence to say we can process more than about 1300 tests a day. I understand that people want to see they best for the country but when the HSE in unable to publish even how many are being tested and processed it smacks of incompetence.
    Consequently the numbers of those infected published by the HSE has is not of much use in seeing the spread of the virus in Ireland. The death rate is what we need to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why would the the Netherlands health institute assume that when the Chinese have said the average recovery period is 31 days?
    Beats me.
    In any case, the Netherlands Health Institute has listed 23 days as: average stay in ICU (not as: average recovery rate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

With all due respect but surely this cannot be correct as by restricting testing to those who have 2 or more symptoms we are missing a large chunk of people who are asymptomatic and only showing 1 symptom?

Did I not read on these threads that due to the number of people who presented to for testing when the criteria was reduced to a single symptom leading to a huge backlog that the HSE/Government tore up the backlog list and revised the criteria to require the 2 or more symptoms.

I understand the shortage of test kits, facilities to carry our and process the tests and the large number of negative tests, but surely if you want to test for asymptomatic carriers you need to testing all who present, no matter how mild their symptoms are?

To test asymptomatic people you would have to test everyone. So I would have to be test. In all likelihood it would come back negative. Then do you test me again tomorrow? Next week? Because I don't have it now doesn't mean I won't get it later and I might still be asymptomatic. So you just end up testing everyone loads of times.

Then you clog up the system and properly sick people don't get the treatment they need. Priorities really. To not waste time you want to maximise the chances of tests being positive. Then if you don't have a backlog you can expand the criteria again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This guys brilliant.
    Posted on other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

How come Prince Charles , or Boris, or Tom Hanks didn't end up dead. All older, all unfit .

It doesn't have a 100% kill rate, Toby. That's pretty much true of most viruses. Also, it's early days for Charles & Boris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Christy42 wrote: »
    To test asymptomatic people you would have to test everyone. So I would have to be test. In all likelihood it would come back negative. Then do you test me again tomorrow? Next week? Because I don't have it now doesn't mean I won't get it later and I might still be asymptomatic. So you just end up testing everyone loads of times.

Then you clog up the system and properly sick people don't get the treatment they need. Priorities really. To not waste time you want to maximise the chances of tests being positive. Then if you don't have a backlog you can expand the criteria again.

Asymptomatic persons wont be tested until we get an antibody test rays quick and efficient.

Then we can test everyone once and identify a cohort who dont have to fear covid 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I just can't with my neighbours. Seems it's impossible for them to stay indoors. Going about their lives like nothing has changed. Last week they all gathered to have some sort of a yard sale at the parking lot except they weren't selling stuff, just giving old stuff away for free and everyone carrying piles of books and other things to their houses. A couple of old ladies wearing gloves and shouting at each other from a distance but pretty soon all forgot social distancing and then no-one was wearing gloves or anything. This week it's back to normal, families hopping into their cars etc. I don't know where they can be going every day since they're not going to work and they don't return with shopping bags either. Doubt they're popping out for some exercise. It's their business what they do of course but wouldn't be surprised if people around here start getting sick soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Christy42 wrote: »

I understand that at this point in time they cannot test everyone due to limited test kits and facilities etc and I see no point in testing folks who display absolutely NO symptoms what so ever.

But it seems to me by rejecting those who were put forward by their GPs, HSE etc who only had 1 symptom just because it resulted in a huge backlog was an opportunity missed to catch asymptomatic carriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Downlinz wrote: »
    This is obviously nonsense but what exactly do the conspiracy folk think is happening here, who do they think is benefiting from everyone staying at home and a population in fear that seemingly every government in the world is collaborating in?

I don't think the conspiracy theorists really know what to make of the whole situation. If you're bored, check out their timeline: you'll see them trying to make sense of the situation as it progresses, often posting or retweeting things that would make earlier understandings completely contradictory.

The latest I'm seeing is that it's a way of keeping us indoors while they install 5G thingies which are apparently some kind of mind-control device (you can see 'recent' installations of 5G posts in Stillorgan although oddly enough they have been in situ since at least 2018 according to Google Streetview).

There's also a suggestion that it's a virus created by Trump in order to take out liberal political 'regimes' throughout the world. Invasion coming. Get ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

eagle eye wrote: »
    When did we go over 2k testing?
    It was at somewhere between 1700 and 1800 per day only a week or so ago.

Dr Ray Walley,a member of the National Covid-19 GPs Advisory Committee, said that we are testing roughly 2,000 people a day - in comparison, an average of 600 people a week are tested during the height of flu season.

He said this will increase to "ten times that" over the next four weeks and that "things are gearing up" very quickly.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0324/1124971-coronavirus-covid19-ireland/

Additionally it was reported by RTE yesterday that there are ~33,000 tests carried out to date. There was ~18,000 carried out up until 23rd March. That's over 2k a day carried out during the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

180 new deaths in the UK.

England +159
    Wales +14
    Scotland +6
    Northern Ireland +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I just can't with my neighbours. Seems it's impossible for them to stay indoors. Going about their lives like nothing has changed. Last week they all gathered to have some sort of a yard sale at the parking lot except they weren't selling stuff, just giving old stuff away for free and everyone carrying piles of books and other things to their houses. A couple of old ladies wearing gloves and shouting at each other from a distance but pretty soon all forgot social distancing and then no-one was wearing gloves or anything. This week it's back to normal, families hopping into their cars etc. I don't know where they can be going every day since they're not going to work and they don't return with shopping bags either. Doubt they're popping out for some exercise. It's their business what they do of course but wouldn't be surprised if people around here start getting sick soon.

Have you reported them to the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Achasanai wrote: »
    I don't think the conspiracy theorists really know what to make of the whole situation. If you're bored, check out their timeline: you'll see them trying to make sense of the situation as it progresses, often posting or retweeting things that would make earlier understandings completely contradictory.

The latest I'm seeing is that it's a way of keeping us indoors while they install 5G thingies which are apparently some kind of mind-control device (you can see 'recent' installations of 5G posts in Stillorgan although oddly enough they have been in situ since at least 2018 according to Google Streetview).

There's also a suggestion that it's a virus created by Trump in order to take out liberal political 'regimes' throughout the world. Invasion coming. Get ready.

Is there a forum for friends of these people !!
    Have to listen to this ****e at least once a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Austria is making it compulsory for shoppers to wear facial masks in supermarkets.

Chancellor Sebastian Kurz on Monday morning announced that introducing the requirement was a “necessary step” to help to prevent the airborne transmission of the virus.

Shoppers are to be handed masks covering their mouth and nose at the entrance of supermarkets from Wednesday, the chancellor said. Kurz said the masks were not the same protective masks used by medical staff and weren’t designed to “protect” those wearing them but only to stop them spreading infections further.

While wearing the masks in supermarkets will be compulsory, people are encouraged to also wear them in other “social situations”.

By Monday morning, the alpine state had 9,131 confirmed infections with the Covid-19 virus and 108 people who had died as a result of an infection.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement