Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Not sure we can say 'Job Done' when we don't have accurate testing figures yet. There's still the backlog factor.

Good to see the ICU numbers slow in increase though.

The backlog could be good. Todays 424 could have been tested on average a week ago, and when test lead times reduce we may see lower positives, the peak might be passed.

ICU beds and deaths are not showing a surge.

Heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Tony Holohan just did a Pontius Pilate on nursing homes during a response to question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I like that one of the journalists asked for the medium for all figures and Tony said they could calculate in future.

The mean he asked for :D

Of the 46 who are no longer in ICU 15 died and 31 recovered.

So 66% recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

People are so quick to point out the minor % of dodgy PPE or the testing problems we're having in this country.

It has just been stated that we're currently able to test everyone that's presenting for testing.

We're doing good lads, no where near a doomsday scenario here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,382 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why is George lee covering this story ? He's the most depressing person RTÉ have. He doesn't help the mood. I know fergal bowers needs a break but surely there was someone else who could be covering this ?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    The highest death toll yet as dribblers here are trying to claim we can start easing restrictions.

Did George Lee not just say 87% of deaths are outside ICU, as in many of them in nursing homes, old and frail anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The highest death toll yet as dribblers here are trying to claim we can start easing restrictions.

Bizarre ignorance.

The restrictive measures won't have shown up in the data yet. Talk of easing or keeping them as they are (or stricture measures) is premature in both instances. Arguably we are close to peaking right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

irishlad. wrote: »
    People are so quick to point out the minor % of dodgy PPE or the testing problems we're having in this country.

It has just been stated that we're currently able to test everyone that's presenting for testing.

Hey! This is no time for positivity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

froog wrote: »
    the lack of reagents is mostly a smokescreen. we were testing everyone with a sniffle or headache in the first few weeks and it quickly got way out of control. so they had to tighten testing criteria, but the damage was already done. lots of people that likely actually were infected never got tested. i personally know several people that have been waiting for a test or results for over a week. i have heard many other stories of people promised tests who never got them. a lot of people are not even bothering calling for a test now. almost certainly the number of infected is several times what the declared figure is. not to mention the constant evasion of how many have been tested at the press conference. as i type right now I hear tony h refusing to confirm how many healthcare workers have been tested.

i'm not sure how in any way you could call this a success.
    The HSE can't win. Everyone with a sniffle rang them to get a test, and flooded the system with hypochondriacs. The HSE changed the testing criteria and got criticised for not testing everyone. Now you're criticising for testing too many.

Captain hindsights everywhere. I like our current testing approach, and it's the only way we will got out this - probably with the addition of serological testing to see the extent of spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

So only 15 of our 120 deaths were from ICU, they must've been in nursing homes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Beasty wrote: »
    Why do people keep repeating this allegation?

It was reported they welded doors to ensure only one access/exit point - it was to monitor/restrict movements. Not very nice, but not a literal "lock-in"

Do you trust their figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One very encouraging sign is that only one extra person seems to have been admitted to ICU in a 24 hour period (even though these numbers are not quite up to date as Tony says).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

424 new cases. Surge definitely happening

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We were forewarned about the problems of the PPE and other virus related stuff from China, given the experience of the Netherlands, Spain, Czech Republic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭micks_address

Apologies if asked and answered but how many are currently in icu with covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

hmmm wrote: »
    The HSE can't win. Everyone with a sniffle rang them to get a test, and flooded the system with hypochondriacs. The HSE changed the testing criteria and got criticised for not testing everyone. Now you're criticising for testing too many.

Captain hindsights everywhere. I like our current testing approach, and it's the only way we will got out this - probably with the addition of serological testing to see the extent of spread.

i think the HSE has done a good job on all other fronts to be honest. but testing has been a complete joke right from the start and deserves to be called out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Vicxas wrote: »

Based on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why is George lee covering this story ? He's the most depressing person RTÉ have. He doesn't help the mood. I know fergal bowers needs a break but surely there was someone else who could be covering this ?

I'm also surprised he's a Science correspondent.
    Does anyone know if he has a Science qualification.
    I thought he was an economist/economic commentator

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    So only 15 of our 120 deaths were from ICU, they must've been in nursing homes

Pretty much, people that were too weak anyway to be sent to ICU.

Strip out nursing home deaths and cases and our numbers would be very good.

• Advertisement

110 (up one on yesterday's number of 109).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

easypazz wrote: »
    Did George Lee not just say 87% of deaths are outside ICU, as in many of them in nursing homes, old and frail anyway.

And that's relevant how? People in nursing homes dont deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

I am so mad with China right now, caused the virus. Now they getting millions from countries asking for help. WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

We are doing well in some aspects but we seem not to be able to test people and get results to them in good time. It is something that hopefully is being addressed but at the moment testing is way behind where it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Strazdas wrote: »
    One very encouraging sign is that only one extra person seems to have been admitted to ICU in a 24 hour period (even though these numbers are not quite up to date as Tony says).

But only 15 of our 120 deaths were administered to ICU. So we could still see a lot of deaths even if our ICU numbers don't climb much

Vast majority of cases in the east. Dublin is riddled with Covid, as our major population centre.

I believe the 'surge' is based on deaths in fact, not new cases (that's what I understood Dr Holohan to say).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's not a pleasant way to die. Would much rather have heart failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭micks_address

110 (up one on yesterday's number of 109).

Thank you. At least that means we have quite a bit of capacity still available. We are nowhere near having to triage cases based on capacity alone which is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Continual escalation in Turkey, 2800 new cases and 70 deaths, the number of people in ICU has grown to over 1250

But only 15 of our 120 deaths were administered to ICU. So we could still see a lot of deaths even if our ICU numbers don't climb much

They need to sort out the nursing homes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Point to note.424 new cases is an 11% increase in cases.
    Yesterday's figure of 404 was in fact a 12% increase.
    I believe Leo Varadkar mentioned earlier in the week their aim is to keep that % figure as low as possible, they want it down near 5%.
    Be wary of how you read numbers.
    There is a sticky at the top of the forum.page showing the reported numbers each days, the numbers as a percentage increase and numbers of deaths among other things.Useful information.

It is very relevant. It points to the national situation being not as bad as the numbers make it look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,783 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

But why are so many still waiting for tests and results, some even have lost test swabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It's a pity we couldn't just have George as the only journalist there and just let him ask 20 questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bekker wrote: »
    Tony Holohan just did a Pontius Pilate on nursing homes during a response to question.
    Not really. He pointed out they should all be up to standard and following guidelines, some clearly are not. I'd see his original comments as assuming such standards were being followed. That's a HIQA purview anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

The PPE from China was probably stuff they had in a warehouse, thinking they would sell it someday. Just hang onto it.

For sure......deaths will be high for the next 7-10 days, irrespective of anything going on in ICU.

(Pressure on ICU beds was / is a massive concern of course though).

I believe the 'surge' is based on deaths in fact, not new cases (that's what I understood Dr Holohan to say).

2 days ago when we had 212 new cases you said new cases was the key figure. You're absolutely all over the place. At least posters like ITman1988 are consistent in their views and opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When is the surge / peak expected, April 19th?

The Dr said (a couple of days ago) expect the peak in 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But why are so many still waiting for tests and results, some even have lost test swabs
    Very few now waiting for tests they said and the results issues will be resolved in the next 7-10 days.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

George positively revels in misery, to the point of exaggeration. RTÉ needs a pragmatic journalist who is able to dissect the facts and figures competently. The viewing public deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

I am so mad with China right now, caused the virus. Now they getting millions from countries asking for help. WTF

I'm hoping it's a case of having to deal with them.. countries have to wise up to them now. The list is to long of all the horrible practices they have .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Well I'm guessing (hoping) it was due to a huge surge of people seeking a test. Now that things have eased off a bit, you'd imagine turnaround time should be speeding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Stheno wrote: »
    They need to sort out the nursing homes

It's probably very difficult to "sort out" nursing homes. You have so many carers looking after the patients. One carer gets infected and infects one or two other carers which go on to infect the hospital. Very difficult to control this.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

It's not a pleasant way to die. Would much rather have heart failure.

They'd be given palliative care.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I wish those assholes who went to Cheltenham and got infected despite our collective pleading with them to cop the feck on could be denied healthcare and quarantined in a prison cell. How utterly irresponsible can you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

shesty wrote: »
    Point to note.424 new cases is an 11% increase in cases.
    Yesterday's figure of 404 was in fact a 12% increase.
    I believe Leo Varadkar mentioned earlier in the week their aim is to keep that % figure as low as possible, they want it down near 5%.
    Be wary of how you read numbers.
    There is a sticky at the top of the forum.page showing the reported numbers each days, the numbers as a percentage increase and numbers of deaths among other things.Useful information.

Even at a generous 5% daily increase that is still 8000+ in the space of 2 weeks from now. You can guesstimate the deaths and ICU from that...not good

Naggdefy wrote: »
    2 days ago when we had 212 new cases you said new cases was the key figure. You're absolutely all over the place. At least posters like ITman1988 are consistent in their views and opinions.

Yes, and that is still the case. New cases are still the one to watch in terms of where the pandemic is going : people passing away this week would have been infected with Covid perhaps three or four weeks ago.

But the 'surge' and 'peak' which is being discussed are the death totals. That is why Dr Holohan was asked when he thought the surge would happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement