Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• They need to close the Airports to general public and only to be used for supply chain at this stage

Worrying numbers today. RIP to those who died. :(

Stay safe folks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    There might be two phases in Italy; the epidemic in the North, followed by another (hopefully less severe) one in the South?

Yes I was talking with a supplier in Padova today, he is very worried that it will be as bad in south.
    I have never heard anyone so stressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's not a pleasant way to die. Would much rather have heart failure.

A lot of them are. Covid 19 puts a lot of pressure on the heart as the red blood cells aren't getting filled with oxygen properly and the heart needs to pump faster in order to get more red blood cells to oxygen starved areas and the heart cant cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

pjohnson wrote: »
    And that's relevant how? People in nursing homes dont deserve this.

No one said people in nursing homes deserve to die of covid. Very old sick people in nursing homes have very little defence against any infection be it chest, kidney, gastro etc. So they die.
    Usually they get to die surrounded by loved ones, it’s sad that they are currently having to die with only Carers to comfort them.
    But everyone has to die in the end. There’s real signs that people in 1st world countries are starting to forget that.
    If people are asking how many of the dead were in nursing homes it’s mostly because at least the nursing home residents have lived a long and full life.
    Young men and women who have dependents and many years in front of them should not die and if they do then that IS a tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They need to close the Airports to general public and only to be used for supply chain at this stage

Stay safe folks

Do they pull the figures out of their arses? Some hospitals closed others down to a trickle and yet the media want people to believe that the health care system is overrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

They need to close the Airports to general public and only to be used for supply chain at this stage

Stay safe folks

+1 to the airports or flights, especially from America. I think many people over there are still clueless about the seriousness of this virus. I would be very worried about Americans coming on holidays here this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report

No Change in number
    508146.PNG

Slow Change
    508148.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508149.PNG

again with all of this I'm just trying to show people the 14 day delay in an change in how we deal with this
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late

interesting visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

owlbethere wrote: »
    +1 to the airports or flights, especially from America. I think many people over there are still clueless about the seriousness of this virus. I would be very worried about Americans coming on holidays here this summer.

Have we not banned flights from America? they were quick to ban us weeks ago when we only had a few cases, why have not banned them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just on Italy, these are the totals since the start after today's numbers have been announced

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES

Currently Infected Patients
    81,320 (95%)
    in Mild Condition

4,068 (5%)
    Serious or Critical

Today 36 800 tests identified the 4585 positive cases
    https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/#box_6

Multipass wrote: »
    Fuel, hardware, pet food for a start. I would usually spread my food purchases out to multiple small shops too.

Fuel, I'm still getting mine from the local garage as they are cheaper than Centra and our supermarket doesn't do gas bottles. Believe the fuel depot in the next town is still open, but more costly to travel there and any savings would be lost.

Same with the pet food, we've a small rescue and couldn't afford to buy it in the supermarket and the local pet shop who is still open as per the regs and gives us a good discount.

Local builders providers also does essential items as per the regs.

If your local shops for these items have closed on their own accord because of covid, assuming they suddenly haven't gone bankrupt its not really the supermarkets fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Looking at the figures the last few days, anyone else think this was circulating well before the first official case here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

fritzelly wrote: »
    Stop link dumping conspiracy videos

Heard on Who news conference today that IMF have one trillion of a war chest for the aftermath of this covid 19. That’s not a conspiracy so major crash on way when they are talking like that.

It’s going abroad to huge multinationals - damn right I begrudge them

Musgraves are an Irish company as are Dunnes the only foreign supermarket in Ireland is Tesco, Aldi and Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Do they pull the figures out of their arses? Some hospitals closed others down to a trickle and yet the media want people to believe that the health care system is overrun.

The whole thing is a con job.No critical thinking happening..Lots of baseless stats and numbers being thrown around printed in red for effect.All stats are based off poor and questionable testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Excellent Nationwide segment from 2018, the centenary of the Spanish flu, on over the last 10-15min. Amazing how shutdown etc mirrored today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I think they should get their **** together with shops etc. Order over phone pay with card. No cash. Everyone should have access to a card. If not they should get one. Or have a pre pay card . Arrange a time to pick up your shopping. Preferably out side in the car park.
    No one should be going into shops. No one should be handling money.
    This is currently the case with Glanbia co -op stores. And it works fine. I get my stuff. I don’t meet anyone I don’t go into a building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

citysights wrote: »
    Heard on Who news conference today that IMF have one trillion of a war chest for the aftermath of this covid 19. That’s not a conspiracy so major crash on way when they are talking like that.

And right now that crash or major depression is probebly unavoidable and will overshadow the effects of the covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Fuel, hardware, pet food for a start. I would usually spread my food purchases out to multiple small shops too.

Why are you buying any of that in a supermarket? All available in smaller stores and no need to be so long in the supermarket. I've never spent as much in small local shops as I have in the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

France +1,120 deaths today. +5,233 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Musgraves are an Irish company as are Dunnes the only foreign supermarket in Ireland is Tesco

I think you forgot about Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Looking at the figures the last few days, anyone else think this was circulating well before the first official case here?

Possible yes the person may not have felt 2 bad or thought they had a flu

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Coyote wrote: »

No Change in number
    508146.PNG

Slow Change
    508148.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508149.PNG

again with all of this I'm just trying to show people the 14 day delay in an change in how we deal with this

Excellent work. The only thing I'd say is maybe the death figure for no change is a bit low. Like we are more likely to see 10-20 deaths per day rather than 5ish.

shocksy wrote: »

True, and edited.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Another country were figures are beginning to explode.

Are they first european country to pass 1000 deaths in a day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    And right now that crash or major depression is probebly unavoidable and will overshadow the effects of the covid

Yes devastating to hear IMF chief talking like that, let the well people go back to work and cocoon the vulnerable and elderly, we can do that and we should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really. He pointed out they should all be up to standard and following guidelines, some clearly are not. I'd see his original comments as assuming such standards were being followed. That's a HIQA purview anyway.

Holohan definitely did take a swipe at nursing homes in the press conference. If standards are under HIQA's remit why comment at all?

On 11 March, Holohan advised that ban on visitors was unnecessary:
    http://www.redfm.ie/news/coronavirus/department-of-health-blanket-ban-on-visitors-to-hospitals-and-nursing-homes-amid-coronavirus-unnecessary/

On the same day, 11 March, Nursing Homes Ireland stated they believed the restrictions were responsible.

On reflection, Holohan was wrong regarding nursing homes and the situation is now dire for the residents, the carers and families.

I don't share the same enthusiasm for Holohan as others on here.

Coyote wrote: »

No Change in number
    508146.PNG

Slow Change
    508148.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508149.PNG

Fantastic source, Coyote, thank you. We've done very well keeping things below 30%.

Is there a graph for the number of tests carried out prior to and after Leo's big public address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone who did not know there be a recession around the world would have to be clueless. The only thing of hope is that people will still have confidence to buy after this other then other revessuons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Couldn't be too long before sure we would've had cases present to hospital with breathing issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,783 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes devastating to hear IMF chief talking like that, let the well people go back to work and cocoon the vulnerable and elderly, we can do that and we should.

It's too early to do that. Way too early.

The whole thing is a con job.No critical thinking happening..Lots of baseless stats and numbers being thrown around printed in red for effect.All stats are based off poor and questionable testing.

2 cases were transferred from Letterkenny to Galway yesterday as Donegal is already over capacity. Dublin is also close being overran with cases and uhg are preparing for more transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Debenhams would do well online, shame if they close their stores

They were in trouble anyway before all this.

Any retailer folding after a couple of weeks was never viable to begin with, a lot of them will be using this as an excuse to finally pull the plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Are they first european country to pass 1000 deaths in a day?

Spain.

So much for nursing home deaths yesterday bringing the total above 1300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Why would the figures over the last few days indicate that it was circulating here before the first official case? This idea comes up a fair bit, but it seems odd with the trajectory that we're seeing that it could be circulating but not causing the hospital cases/ICU cases/deaths that we are suddenly receiving after the first official case.

The symptoms - sometimes - can be like the flu, so it's far more likely that it was that.

That's not going to happen as has been pointed out to you before.

It's not that simple to just cocoon elderly and vulnerable. Many elderly and vulnerable people live with people who aren't in that group. Where do you expect those family members to live because if they go out to work everyday, they have the risk of bringing it home to the elderly and vulnerable. It's not a viable option to send everybody back to work at the moment and it won't be for some time to come regardless of the economic crisis that will follow.

How people don't understand this is beyond me. Just because you might not live with someone in an at risk group, thousands of others do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That's high

Now includes nursing home figures, it didn't previously. Not sure if that increase is spread over a time period >24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Fuel, I'm still getting mine from the local garage as they are cheaper than Centra and our supermarket doesn't do gas bottles. Believe the fuel depot in the next town is still open, but more costly to travel there and any savings would be lost.

Same with the pet food, we've a small rescue and couldn't afford to buy it in the supermarket and the local pet shop who is still open as per the regs and gives us a good discount.

Local builders providers also does essential items as per the regs.

If your local shops for these items have closed on their own accord because of covid, assuming they suddenly haven't gone bankrupt its not really the supermarkets fault.

You’re missing my point - a lot of people, myself included, are minimizing contact by doing a one stop shop. Yes the likes of tesco and lidl are making this possible, but they will also profit hugely at the expense of our smaller local shops. I just think some of these profits should be spread - to local businesses that had to close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How are they adding up the numbers? How are deaths calculated? Is it 120 for the past day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just in regards to PPE , Paul Reid was on rte news this evening. I'll post below what he said, but for people who were saying the whole PPE order wasn't fit for purpose that isn't true, I have family working in various dublin hospitals and was talking to some of them this evening. Of the PPE they have from the new batch they said out of a say 100 gowns you might find a handful that theres a defect, they've also got equipment that they aren't used to, heavier full suits basically. Overall of the ones I spoke to they're happy with the PPE that was delivered and are accepting that it was a first batch that took a week from order to delivery, there was always going to be some issues. Now that's just their batches in the area they work in, others may be different but it does seem to be a small amount.

Paul reid taken form rte:
    "The head of the HSE has said that only a "smaller proportion" of PPE that has arrived here is unusable.

Paul Reid told RTÉ's Six One that if something isn't usable, then the HSE will not be distributing it to staff.

He said that some of what has arrived is not to the specification required, and that suppliers are working with them to ensure that what comes in the next batches of deliveries are correct.

Mr Reid said the HSE is grateful to have been able to secure these orders and that "many countries are envious" of the scale of PPE that we have been able to secure here."

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

shocksy wrote: »

and M&S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Achasanai wrote: »
    Why would the figures over the last few days indicate that it was circulating here before the first official case? This idea comes up a fair bit, but it seems odd with the trajectory that we're seeing that it could be circulating but not causing the hospital cases/ICU cases/deaths that we are suddenly receiving after the first official case.

The symptoms - sometimes - can be like the flu, so it's far more likely that it was that.

We were on top of the social distancing measures fairly quickly here, I'm just surprised at the figures the last few days here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

We were on top of the social distancing measures fairly quickly here, I'm just surprised at the figures the last few days here

Yes, one would hope the upshot of our social distancing would soon become clear. It's hard to figure where all the people are getting infected now are with what we all know. Hopefully the current figures reflect pre distancing measures still.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How are they adding up the numbers? How are deaths calculated? Is it 120 for the past day?

No, 22 deaths. Total overall 120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Couldn't be too long before sure we would've had cases present to hospital with breathing issues.

There were many such cases before Christmas. However, it was mostly children. Almost none of them had to be admitted though. Sent home with a prescription.

Someone here said before it was an unusual strain of the flu. Had it myself, breathing issues for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭2016

boardise wrote: »
    All George is short is a skeleton suit and a scythe. ..or possibly a T-shirt with little coffins on the front.

My problem is that George (RTE's science correspondent) has an Economics degree, not a science one :(

Lot of the same old faces get shuffled around RTE it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Does that mean that only 15 out of the 120 dead were in ICU ?
    Yes. I'm not a medic but I've always presumed ICU isn't offered to hopeless cases.

It's why the elderly are let pass peacefully instead of rushing then to critical care when they're are flatlining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No, 22 deaths. Total overall 120

How are Italy, Spain and France reporting hundreds per day?

• Advertisement

You’re missing my point - a lot of people, myself included, are minimizing contact by doing a one stop shop. Yes the likes of tesco and lidl are making this possible, but they will also profit hugely at the expense of our smaller local shops. I just think some of these profits should be spread - to local businesses that had to close.

The local businesses in my area that I mentioned deliver, if the ones in your local area decide not to its not the fault of Tesco etc
    Going by your logic Musgraves and Dunnes who pay their staff less than Aldi or Lidl do should be handing over their profits too.

I'm not championing multinationals here but I can't see the logic of your original post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement