Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Soap. Use soap and wash your hands thoroughly. There are videos on youtube explaining how to do it.

Hand sanitisers help too but soap is where it's at.

soap is so cheap, less abrasive on your hands and not hard to find also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

We were on top of the social distancing measures fairly quickly here, I'm just surprised at the figures the last few days here

Figures depend on testing (I assume you mean number of cases) and we've been having some issues with this over the last few weeks.

The more important figure for what you were suggesting would be deaths: are we experiencing more deaths now than we would normally for this time of year. It was more than likely here before the first recorded case (unless that's been verified elsewhere) but I don't think it's along the lines of what some people are thinking: odd symptoms exactly matching covid19 symptoms in November/December.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How are Italy, Spain and France reporting hundreds per day?

It's more widespread and they didnt put measures in place earlier.

Like it's not hard to work out why those sort of places are worse off. Point has also been made about more high rise tower blocks and apartments there where its rampant in certain buildings.

There probably is an under reporting of deaths still in Europe and we'll probably never know the total figure. But you cant take a comparison with us and them at the moment

Rjd2 wrote: »
    soap is so cheap, less abrasive on your hands and not hard to find also.

Soap is great, but hand sanitizer is good for when you're out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah491

Boggles wrote: »
    They were in trouble anyway before all this.

Any retailer folding after a couple of weeks was never viable to begin with, a lot of them will be using this as an excuse to finally pull the plug.

True, but also people don’t buy new clothes to stay inside. I would normally buy make up and a dress from the phase 8 range in Debenhams monthly but haven’t since I started WFH

• Advertisement

2016 wrote: »
    My problem is that George (RTE's science correspondent) has an Economics degree, not a science one :(

Lot of the same old faces get shuffled around RTE it seems...

Couldn't do economic or political reports after his very short stint with FG on returning to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

jackboy wrote: »
    There were many such cases before Christmas. However, it was mostly children. Almost none of them had to be admitted though. Sent home with a prescription.

Someone here said before it was an unusual strain of the flu. Had it myself, breathing issues for about a week.

That doesn't mean anything, regular flu can cause breathing issues. I had a bad flu 2 years ago with breathing issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The local businesses in my area that I mentioned deliver, if the ones in your local area decide not to its not the fault of Tesco etc
    Going by your logic Musgraves and Dunnes who pay their staff less than Aldi or Lidl do should be handing over their profits too.

I'm not championing multinationals here but I can't see the logic of your post.

No one here has any delivery slots until May. I’m buying for my 89 and 90 year old parents, so I go to as few locations as possible. We’re going to be hit with huge austerity after this. The money flying overseas into corporate hands bothers me. A lot. We’re locked down, it’s not like we have free choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I heard it on radio today and read an article where up to 10 metres can be dangerous. It would explain a lot though hopefully this is not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Like it's not hard to work out why those sort of places are worse off. Point has also been made about more high rise tower blocks and apartments there where its rampant in certain buildings.

There probably is an under reporting of deaths still in Europe and we'll probably never know the total figure. But you cant take a comparison with us and them at the moment

And we put measures in earlier??? We allowed flights to come and go, not only that people got off these flights and were free to go wherever they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They were in trouble anyway before all this.

Any retailer folding after a couple of weeks was never viable to begin with, a lot of them will be using this as an excuse to finally pull the plug.

They were already downsizing to try and stay in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How are they adding up the numbers? How are deaths calculated? Is it 120 for the past day?

I find it fascinating that people struggle with the simpler facts.

Have you actually listened to, watched, or read the news?
    The Department of Health has reported 22 more deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland, bringing the overall death toll to 120.

How could you seriously imagine it's 120 for the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭minggatu

"On April 2, France reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report."

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france/

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I find it fascinating that people struggle with the simpler facts.

Have you actually listened to, watched, or read the news?

How could you seriously imagine it's 120 for the day?

Because I don't believe numbers when looking at other countries.

We're tracking Italy fairly closely in terms of deaths per population (at day 10: Italy 21, Ireland 19.9) and outstripping France at that point in their trajectory. Our increase rate in cases is also broadly similar to Italy's in terms of %.

And we put measures in earlier??? We allowed flights to come and go, not only that people got off these flights and were free to go wherever they wanted.

The flights again.... bloody hell it's in the community here and probably was a long time before we even picked up the first case.

For probably the last 2-3 weeks the airports have been basically empty so the whole airport thing has been done and discussed time and time again.

And yes we did put measures in place earlier, we actually closed schools, pubs, mass events etc all earlier than most of those countries.

The who yesterday even said that Ireland was doing a good job in setting out the strategy to break the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Can people please stop replying to that poster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

How are Italy, Spain and France reporting hundreds per day?

Do you always expect others to do everything for you, go watch/read or listen to the news. There's is plenty of it out there. :mad:

Multipass wrote: »
    No one here has any delivery slots until May. I’m buying for my 89 and 90 year old parents, so I go to as few locations as possible. We’re going to be hit with huge austerity after this. The money flying overseas into corporate hands bothers me. A lot. We’re locked down, it’s not like we have free choice.

I'm not talking about supermarkets offering delivery, the local supervalue doesn't have any either and the same for my dad's area. I'm talking about pet,fuel etc and they are delivering next day without issue around here

Do you not have a supervalue in your area they have the highest number of stores in Ireland?

Yes we are heading into austerity, but Aldi and Lidl will most likely still be paying their staff more than the Irish supermarkets and Tesco, not forgetting that Dunnes is also a multinational company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Can people please stop replying to that poster?

Who you on about now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Who you on about now?

The poster who is away with the birds :pac:

The flights again.... bloody hell it's in the community here and probably was a long time before we even picked up the first case.

For probably the last 2-3 weeks the airports have been basically empty so the whole airport thing has been done and discussed time and time again.

And yes we did put measures in place earlier, we actually closed schools, pubs, mass events etc all earlier than most of those countries.

The who yesterday even said that Ireland was doing a good job in setting out the strategy to break the virus.

Well they could have stopped flights instead of welcoming in more cases of the virus. Plane loads of people. If people weren't allowed to go on skiing trips or Cheltenham, things might be slightly better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

4 flights coming in from the UK tonight and a few hours later another one coming in from the world's virus epicenter, New York. This is an outrage that's not receiving the attention it deserves. What's the point of us staying inside while flights from the world's virus hotspots are continually coming in unchecked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We're 16th for deaths per million out of over 200. What's not to believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

keynes wrote: »
    4 flights coming in from the UK tonight and a few hours later another one coming in from the world's virus epicenter, New York. This is an outrage that's not receiving the attention it deserves. What's the point of us staying inside while flights from the world's virus hotspots are continually coming in unchecked?

Very simple way to deal with this.

Everyone is taken off the flight and put in a hotel for 2 weeks.

Except, we're not taking people of these flights and putting them away, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

That's what the Chinese were doing. But even that wasn't enough and now they've banned all foreigners from entering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

And who's going to pay for that? The taxpayer?

Easier solution that won't cost money. Ban all flights.

Well they could have stopped flights instead of welcoming in more cases of the virus. Plane loads of people. If people weren't allowed to go on skiing trips or Cheltenham, things might be slightly better off.

The Cheltenham question was asked this evening at the press conference, and the reply was we've no indication of infection being picked up there and transmitted here. Believe it or not but that's what was said.

Flights were never going to stop so get that out of your head, we had to bring irish people home and others wanted to go home from here.
    Flights also carry more than just people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Excellent work. The only thing I'd say is maybe the death figure for no change is a bit low. Like we are more likely to see 10-20 deaths per day rather than 5ish.

Hi Kilkenney31

a good point, but there is two sides should the death rate be 1-1.5% of the truth number infected, which would put the number of cases around 10-12K but not all detected
    or just the % of cases detected which would be higher than the true number of deaths

I tried to pick a % that was not too high to be said to be scaring people
    I might adjust it to 1.5%

Regards

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The Cheltenham question was asked this evening at the press conference, and the reply was we've no indication of infection being picked up there and transmitted here.

Well they probably didn't meet the criteria for testing.

There's loads of celebrity cases from Cheltenham. They're a bunch of ****ing wafflers

Becauses they're basically empty flights and have been for the last 2 weeks. They carry more than just people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pointless engaging with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

shocksy wrote: »
    And who's going to pay for that? The taxpayer?

They pay for the hotels themselves, obviously it won't be the usual gouge price everyone is used to.
    shocksy wrote: »
    Easier solution that won't cost money. Ban all flights.

We can't yet, still people trying to get home. Case in point a couple that were stranded on a cruise ship will be hitching a lift on a plane commissioned by the Brits which is flying into London, they need to get home.

We are not at the point yet where we tell Irish Citizens tough shít, wander around London for 6 months, best of luck.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Well they probably didn't meet the criteria for testing.

There's loads of celebrity cases from Cheltenham. They're a bunch of ****ing wafflers

I couldn't care less about celebrity cases at Cheltenham.

I'm sure you'd do a much better job, sure what do the irish public health doctors know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Coyote wrote: »
    Hi Kilkenney31

a good point, but there is two sides should the death rate be 1-1.5% of the truth number infected, which would put the number of cases around 10-12K but not all detected
    or just the % of cases detected which would be higher than the true number of deaths

I tried to pick a % that was not too high to be said to be scaring people
    I might adjust it to 1.5%

Regards

Coyote

Yeah I see where you get the figure from now. I'd imagine looking at the way things have gone we are looking at 15-30 deaths for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

lawred2 wrote: »
    Pointless engaging with this

Sure arent they away with the fairies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Fantastic source, Coyote, thank you. We've done very well keeping things below 30%.

Is there a graph for the number of tests carried out prior to and after Leo's big public address ?

Hi Jacob Helpful Stadium

not that i know of, i did think about trying to keep track but we don't get number each day only once a week and they keep changing.

one thing to note is that the number of cases to death
    Ireland has a high number of cases detected 4283 but only 120 deaths
    the UK has 38,168 cases but 3,605 deaths,
    if the % of deaths were the same given very close HSE to NHS standards are

we can see that Ireland are testing at least 3 times as many as the UK is

35 cases found per death in Ireland
    12 cases found per death in the UK
    France is only finding 9.8 cases per death

Regards

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

They pay for the hotels themselves, obviously it won't be the usual gouge price everyone is used to.

We can't yet, still people trying to get home. Case in point a couple that were stranded on a cruise ship will be hitching a lift on a plane commissioned by the Brits which is flying into London, they need to get home.

We are not at the point yet where we tell Irish Citizens tough shít, wander around London for 6 months, best of luck.

beat me to it , you cant ban all flights end of , restrictions will have to be put in place though for people re-entering the country though

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    We're 16th for deaths per million out of over 200. What's not to believe?

Same population in every country, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah I see where you get the figure from now. I'd imagine looking at the way things have gone we are looking at 15-30 deaths for the next few weeks.

How so? When icu’s reach saturation point that’s where death rates start to climb. That’s why it’s important to know the real time icu occupancy figures that we only started getting yesterday.

Where is not a virus hotspot? Do you know who are on these flights? Are they cargo? Are they Irish citizens stuck abroad? Are they returning medics to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I've a question, are takeaways deemed essential? The town I live in they all shut but the next town (about 5 minutes in the road) they are all open for collection only.

Will a garda let me through the checkpoint between both towns to go get a takeaway? We've been cooking all week and would love a takeaway tomorrow night for a treat.

The chances of hitting a checkpoint are 90% as I live in a beachside town and many people are trying to drive out for walks so the checkpoint seems to be there most of the day.

The takeaway in question rings you when its ready and brings the food to the passenger side of the car, all paid online beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Let’s shut the schools and you can’t move within 2km of home, but we can justify flights??

ITman88 wrote: »

Let’s shut the schools and you can’t move within 2km of home, but we can justify flights??

Do people think we have thousands of tourists coming here for the craic? Unnecessary travel is to be avoided. Anyone on a flight to Ireland needs to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Afaik most planes in the air now are cargo only. Are Lingus are doing this with done of their passenger planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Serious question.
    We stop the flights.
    What about Irish abroad and what about cargo that we need in the country, PPE etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

All arrivals are required to self quarantine.

Even if they dont, they cant spread it in busy places like pubs and hair salons.

They are no different to anybody else in the country really.

And once all Irish are home expect a big clampdown at points of entry, if we have it under control by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why so many deaths in France again today did they add more nursing home deaths?

I couldn't care less about celebrity cases at Cheltenham.

I'm sure you'd do a much better job, sure what do the irish public health doctors know

The Irish public health doctors that told us we were low risk?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement