Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ITman88 wrote: »
    It makes no sense whatsoever.

Let’s shut the schools and you can’t move within 2km of home, but we can justify flights??

No sense...... Are the PPE, and chemicals/raw materials for our medical supplies going to fly over from the US all by themselves then?
    Do we leave our J1 students and citizens caught in USA to starve?

Don't be silly, the few dozen people flying in to the country will be subject to self quarentine as always.

BTW Aer Lingus are fairly creaming it screwing freight customers trying to get vital supplies in, including some for the Covid tests etc..... Making up for the loss of general air traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Because I don't believe numbers when looking at other countries.

That makes absolutely no sense. You asked how they were counting the numbers and if the 120 deaths were all from one day. If you didn’t believe the numbers why not just state that instead of pretending (?) you don’t understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why so many deaths in France again today did they add more nursing home deaths?
    Probably a combo of nursing homes,elderly people,plus they were ignoring the warnings.There was mass gatherings on some of the beaches and small of amounts of people protesting and even people going out to vote I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The sinophobia is really blowing up in here. Thought that this website had rules on that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

FVP3 wrote: »
    The sinophobia is really blowing up in here. Thought that this website had rules on that kind of thing.

Will you cop on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

keynes wrote: »
    4 flights coming in from the UK tonight and a few hours later another one coming in from the world's virus epicenter, New York. This is an outrage that's not receiving the attention it deserves. What's the point of us staying inside while flights from the world's virus hotspots are continually coming in unchecked?

This kind of moral panic rises up every day or so on here. These flights have barely anybody on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The local businesses in my area that I mentioned deliver, if the ones in your local area decide not to its not the fault of Tesco etc
    Going by your logic Musgraves and Dunnes who pay their staff less than Aldi or Lidl do should be handing over their profits too.

I'm not championing multinationals here but I can't see the logic of your original post.

Who else is delivering? on the Tesco's website all the delivery slots are gone even for 3 weeks time. I'm in Wexford, need to do a shop soon and the nearest click and collect is 70 kms away.
    Any others I could call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Well they could have stopped flights instead of welcoming in more cases of the virus. Plane loads of people. If people weren't allowed to go on skiing trips or Cheltenham, things might be slightly better off.

How many people do you think are on these flights at a guess? Friend of a friend had his daughter come home from London yesterday, she was the only one on the plane apparently. Even if flights are coming in, they arent near full of people so I think the flight thing is over exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Same population in every country, no?

What?

Deaths per million population

What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fullstop wrote: »
    That makes absolutely no sense. You asked how they were counting the numbers and if the 120 deaths were all from one day. If you didn’t believe the numbers why not just state that instead of pretending (?) you don’t understand?

I'm tired with all the news, it's hard to keep up with it all. Other countries are reporting hundreds. I don't know with us anymore. All the news has been affecting me.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Well they probably didn't meet the criteria for testing.

There's loads of celebrity cases from Cheltenham. They're a bunch of ****ing wafflers

I don’t consider 3 “loads”! One caught it from his driver! Another announced almost 3 weeks after Cheltenham FINISHED!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I missed the press conference. Did anyone ask about the number of viable ventilators we have?

Do we have equal number of ventilators (and staff trained to use them) as we do ICU beds? i.e. 500

Multipass wrote: »
    No one here has any delivery slots until May. I’m buying for my 89 and 90 year old parents, so I go to as few locations as possible. We’re going to be hit with huge austerity after this. The money flying overseas into corporate hands bothers me. A lot. We’re locked down, it’s not like we have free choice.

Don't shop in Tesco, Aldi or Lidl then. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

MipMap wrote: »
    Who else is delivering? on the Tesco's website all the delivery slots are gone even for 3 weeks time. I'm in Wexford, need to do a shop soon and the nearest click and collect is 70 kms away.
    Any others I could call?
    pettitts super value in wexford town are doing deliveries . not sure about other ones around the county

what part of wexford are you in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I'm tired with all the news, it's hard to keep up with it all. Other countries are reporting hundreds. I don't know with us anymore. All the news has been affecting me.

If u are tired of the news and it is affecting u then step away from it for a few days instead of coming on here asking a heap of questions,it will do your mind the world of good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    How many people do you think are on these flights at a guess? Friend of a friend had his daughter come home from London yesterday, she was the only one on the plane apparently. Even if flights are coming in, they arent near full of people so I think the flight thing is over exaggerated.

Maybe now it's exaggerated. But a month ago, it wasn't.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Can people please stop replying to that poster?

Sorry, to who, there's so many

Any others I could call?

Try ringing your local Centra or Daybreak or similar. Most have a group of volunteers on hand to do deliveries. You order and pay by phone and they’ll ring to let you know when your delivery is on it’s way. The volunteers leave it on your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

I gave up a week ago, couldn't sleep with the worry. Pop in here now and then, check the numbers sticky and more or less move on, mostly. Third week now and cracks beginning to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What?

What's your point?
    Could it be that it's a ludicrous basis for comparison without first weighing for at least 5-10 factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

fullstop wrote: »

We should all try harder to be kind to each other.

pettitts super value in wexford town are doing deliveries . not sure about other ones around the county

what part of wexford are you in

Ferns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s really not hard to keep up.

All the news outlets give the daily and cumulative figure every single day. Go and read it if you want to know. If you don’t, then don’t bother.

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Amen to that.
    None of us caused this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

SSeanSS wrote: »

Agreed

Has anyone heard the rumour that a major US manufacturer just produced 30,000 vibrators because one of Trump's covid19 task force is dyslexic???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why so many deaths in France again today did they add more nursing home deaths?

They have a lack, and I am putting it mildly, of PPE equipment. I just seen a video of a French nurse complaining that she's using big black bin bags to cover her body, small white bags from the supermarket to cover her shoes and a shower hat to cover her hair...all at her own cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

alwald wrote: »
    They have a lack, and I am putting it mildly, of PPE equipment. I just seen a video of a French nurse complaining that she's using big black bin bags to cover her body, small white bags from the supermarket to cover her shoes and a shower hat to cover her hair...all at her own cost.

Well, at least the supermarket bags were free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

i predicted the coronavirus, I knew it would happen soon, I only hope people listen to me next time and prepare for a vaccine

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting PDF link on the various requirements to be met before a lockdown can be lifted - currently, no European country comes close to meeting these:

https://preventepidemics.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COV020_WhenHowLoosenFaucet_v4.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭flanna01

In fairness, the Irish Government have handled the virus situation very well. Of course, there will always be room for improvement, and a lot more could have been done to stem the flow of traffic coming into the country via air, sea, & foot passengers.

But overall, we have acted professionally, and made some difficult decisions.

The next two weeks will undoubtedly take us through some dark days, the 'surge' will come, and we cannot stop it.

Looking at the UK now, and seeing their death numbers is disturbing and terrifying. Yeah, they let Cheltenham run, and kept their pubs and bars packed whilst the majority of Europe isolated themselves. How many of us are secretly thinking they have got what they deserve??

Looking at Boris Johnson today, he looks like a man that has been on a five day bender... The 'slight' effects of the virus has shook him to the core - And no doubt he has the best medical attention his position commands.. Or.. does he finally understand what his lack of direction has resulted in..?? Does he see the thousands upon thousands of victims being buried as a legacy of his inaction??

The other side of the pond has seen the orange buffoon being given a rude awakening to his jibe that its 'just the flu'..
    As the bodies stack up, he creates different story lines to preen his criminal alter ego (POTUS). His mantra of being the best President ever is now fully locked into crash and burn mode...

Back to Ireland - We don't have the billions & trillions available to us like Boris and The Donald, but we damn well certainly stepped up to the plate when asked.

I have no illusion of whats coming down the road, it ain't pretty and it's going to be ugly.. But thanks to our leadership, we have every opportunity to minimise the damage and carnage this virus is going to cause.

I'm not political, never have been, but I tip the hat to the Government, glad it's them and not some other leader driven soley by the economy and ratings...!!

i predicted the coronavirus, I knew it would happen soon, I only hope people listen to me next time and prepare for a vaccine

Not even remotely amusing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Any others I could call?
    Can you collect, give you order and pay over the phone.
    It will be sitting bagged to collect. Alot of super markets doing that afaik

cj maxx wrote: »

Not for over 70’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've a question, are takeaways deemed essential? The town I live in they all shut but the next town (about 5 minutes in the road) they are all open for collection only.

Will a garda let me through the checkpoint between both towns to go get a takeaway? We've been cooking all week and would love a takeaway tomorrow night for a treat.

The chances of hitting a checkpoint are 90% as I live in a beachside town and many people are trying to drive out for walks so the checkpoint seems to be there most of the day.

The takeaway in question rings you when its ready and brings the food to the passenger side of the car, all paid online beforehand.

One of the most chilling side effects of the virus is that it erodes people's ability to think for themselves.

There was a lad on here last Saturday morning wondering if he was allowed to travel 60km home to his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Ferns

Oh sorry, they don't deliver to shrubs

cj maxx wrote: »

Thanks cj maxx.
    I'm going to try that. I am ok to drive and all that. Actually I'm one of those who is not sure whether I should be helping or asking for help. Was feeling a bit reluctant to ring shops and suggest this but will now do so.
    Appreciate it.

Thanks cj maxx.
    I'm going to try that. I am ok to drive and all that. Actually I'm one of those who is not sure whether I should be helping or asking for help. Was feeling a bit reluctant to ring shops and suggest this but will now do so.
    Appreciate it.

Are you over 70?

Are you over 70?

No but have some health issues. Plenty much worse than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What?

What's your point?

Guess I shoulda done the /s Reddit thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Spain. Have about 9 times our population, have 11,000 dead up to today from covid. Maybe more, I'm not being completely exact.

They had their first case on 31st January.
    First death 4th March. I know. It seems like years ago, but that was 1 month ago. Spain.

They had 600 recorded dead of covid by March 18th, 2 weeks after the first death, and basically 2.5 more weeks went past and they have 11000 dead.

France. Has more than 10 times our population. Has 5,500 recorded covid deaths today. Had its first case on 24th January. First death February 14th. That is about 7 weeks ago. Mid March there were about the same number of deaths there as here now, so about 120. 3 weeks ago. 4 weeks in for France. Like we are now. 4 weeks in.

If we are as lucky as France it would be 500 to 600 in a few weeks, as unfortunate as Spain, it would be more than 1000.

We had our first case on February 29th. First death 11th March. Now less than 4 weeks later we have 120 dead, recorded as covid. Like France.

The reason I am doing this is to put time, space and quantities into some kind of relatable hints of threads or pattern that emphasise the great need now for very watchful waiting for a few weeks at least. Here. Everywhere.
    So much happens in a mere few weeks.

Time has kind of dilated. It seems like this has been going on for ages. But this has been a short while, and changes a lot. A lot changes in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rodders999

flanna01 wrote: »
    Looking at the UK now, and seeing their death numbers is disturbing and terrifying. Yeah, they let Cheltenham run, and kept their pubs and bars packed whilst the majority of Europe isolated themselves. How many of us are secretly thinking they have got what they deserve?? !

Seeing as the vast, vast majority of the people dying over there, were neither at Cheltenham nor packing out the pubs not many of us are thinking that thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How many of us are secretly thinking they have got what they deserve??

Anyone that does should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Guy showed remarkable restraint by not swinging that wheelie-bin at her head...

https://twitter.com/charliehtweets/status/1245722007947411458

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭blade1

gabeeg wrote: »
    Oh sorry, they don't deliver to shrubs
    Special branch will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

In fairness, the Irish Government have handled the virus situation very well. Of course, there will always be room for improvement, and a lot more could have been done to stem the flow of traffic coming into the country via air, sea, & foot passengers.

The next two weeks will undoubtedly take us through some dark days, the 'surge' will come, and we cannot stop it.

Looking at the UK now, and seeing their death numbers is disturbing and terrifying. Yeah, they let Cheltenham run, and kept their pubs and bars packed whilst the majority of Europe isolated themselves. How many of us are secretly thinking they have got what they deserve??

Looking at Boris Johnson today, he looks like a man that has been on a five day bender... The 'slight' effects of the virus has shook him to the core - And no doubt he has the best medical attention his position commands.. Or.. does he finally understand what his lack of direction has resulted in..?? Does he see the thousands upon thousands of victims being buried as a legacy of his inaction??

The other side of the pond has seen the orange buffoon being given a rude awakening to his jibe that its 'just the flu'..
    As the bodies stack up, he creates different story lines to preen his criminal alter ego (POTUS). His mantra of being the best President ever is now fully locked into crash and burn mode...

Back to Ireland - We don't have the billions & trillions available to us like Boris and The Donald, but we damn well certainly stepped up to the plate when asked.

I have no illusion of whats coming down the road, it ain't pretty and it's going to be ugly.. But thanks to our leadership, we have every opportunity to minimise the damage and carnage this virus is going to cause.

I'm not political, never have been, but I tip the hat to the Government, glad it's them and not some other leader driven soley by the economy and ratings...!!

I’m hoping the surge and deaths won’t be as bad as feared. The U.K. is a worry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems that we're going to buy more defective equipment from the suppliers in China.

Is there no where else we can get them?

No but have some health issues. Plenty much worse than me.

Apologies for being nosey, by the way. Hope you get sorted. Don’t be afraid to ask people for help. Situations like this brings out the best in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

This view is being replicated all over the world, no matter how badly any individual country is handling things.
    I'm not trying to antagonise you, but I think it's a symptom of denial.

Our lot were absolutely hopeless for weeks and weeks, just like almost all other western governments.

508159.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I can notice the social distancing getting less and less the last few days , groups of teenagers and over 70,s all out and about doing what they want. Guards not continuing policing it as much..last weekend we had checkpoints and plenty of patrols .
    People are getting restless and impossible to police the lockdown just by asking people...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement