Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Sorry if already posted,
    Here's a strange one
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0403/1128426-italy-and-russia-spar-over-alleged-coronavirus-spies/

Italy was engaged in a war of words with Russia over allegations Moscow hid spies among doctors it had sent to the country's coronavirus epicentre near Milan.

The unusual exchange between the traditionally friendly nations followed the publication of an Italian newspaper story about the purportedly nefarious nature of the Russian mission.

The Russians came last week to help disinfect hospitals and care homes in a northern Italian region that has recorded over half of the country's 14,681 official Covid-19 deaths.

It was a chance for Russian President Vladimir Putin to exert "soft power" at a moment of dire weakness for the West.

But Italy's La Stamp newspaper said Thursday that the 104-strong contingent of doctors and experts almost certainly included officers from Russia's GRU military intelligence agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Pistachio19

MipMap wrote: »
    No but have some health issues. Plenty much worse than me.

My husband is doing deliveries for our local super valu - varied age range of people ordering so it's not limited to the over 70's.

They deliver 3 days per week as it's a bit manic for their staff filling the orders in store, so they probably can't spare the staff members every day. No shortage of volunteer drivers though. I'd say if my husband was asked to deliver a pound of butter to Cork (we're in north west) he'd gladly do it at this stage just to get out of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Guess I shoulda done the /s Reddit thing.

Never having seen Reddit, I'm none the wiser.

/s??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

harr wrote: »
    I can notice the social distancing getting less and less the last few days , groups of teenagers and over 70,s all out and about doing what they want. Guards not continuing policing it as much..last weekend we had checkpoints and plenty of patrols .
    People are getting restless and impossible to police the lockdown just by asking people...

Not where I am. In general towns are virtually empty. You will always have some non compliance but by and large minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

One of the most chilling side effects of the virus is that it erodes people's ability to think for themselves.

There was a lad on here last Saturday morning wondering if he was allowed to travel 60km home to his wife.

Ok, I'm gonna prove that I can't think for myself either.
    I don't know the situation he was in, but what is the rule here in relation to 2km, surely if you found yourself 60km away for a valid reason you could go home? Or am I just thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Never having seen Reddit, I'm none the wiser.

/s??

When someone posts a comment that is obviously sarcastic, but adds /s/ at the end of the sentence to avoid any potential misinterpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

gabeeg wrote: »
    508159.jpeg

Johnson, Trudeau & Merkel - does it pay to be associated with catching or isolating for the virus? Lesson there for Trump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

deise08 wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted,
    Here's a strange one
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0403/1128426-italy-and-russia-spar-over-alleged-coronavirus-spies/

Italy was engaged in a war of words with Russia over allegations Moscow hid spies among doctors it had sent to the country's coronavirus epicentre near Milan.

The unusual exchange between the traditionally friendly nations followed the publication of an Italian newspaper story about the purportedly nefarious nature of the Russian mission.

The Russians came last week to help disinfect hospitals and care homes in a northern Italian region that has recorded over half of the country's 14,681 official Covid-19 deaths.

It was a chance for Russian President Vladimir Putin to exert "soft power" at a moment of dire weakness for the West.

But Italy's La Stamp newspaper said Thursday that the 104-strong contingent of doctors and experts almost certainly included officers from Russia's GRU military intelligence agency.

Given the way this virus is spreading I reckon Russia are massively undercooking their books.

We have more infections than Russia....

I can notice the social distancing getting less and less the last few days , groups of teenagers and over 70,s all out and about doing what they want. Guards not continuing policing it as much..last weekend we had checkpoints and plenty of patrols .
    People are getting restless and impossible to police the lockdown just by asking people...

Don't judge the whole country on this. Around here is like a ghost town and even the daily walkers and runners have reduced to a trickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When someone posts a comment that is obviously sarcastic, but adds /s/ at the end of the sentence to avoid any potential misinterpretation.

I prefer not to spoon-feed my sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭billyhead

So how many can we predict to ultimately die from this virus in Ireland before a vaccine is available. I know it's a wild guess but could it be 5000 or more?

Thanks.

His sarcasm fell well flat so. :)

J. Marston wrote: »
    I prefer not to spoon-feed my sarcasm.

Quality sarcasm doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

And it hasn't even been a week yet since lockdown started. Imagine what it will be like if the lockdown is still here in June and beyond, everyone will be about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Apologies for being nosey, by the way. Hope you get sorted. Don’t be afraid to ask people for help. Situations like this brings out the best in people.

And unfortunately also the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

What chance do ye reckon we get to the stage social contact can go back to normal?. Pubs open by September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Guy showed remarkable restraint by not swinging that wheelie-bin at her head...

https://twitter.com/charliehtweets/status/1245722007947411458

Straight into the wheelie bin with her and her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Johnson, Trudeau & Merkel - does it pay to be associated with catching or isolating for the virus? Lesson there for Trump.

Trump's approval rating is up too.

This is what I'm talking about. And perhaps I was unfair to single out an individual poster here, but it seems to be a human phenomenon rather than a measured response to what was objectively a poor reaction to this virus across the board.

I think we're telling ourselves that the powers that be are doing a great job because we sincerely want that to be the case. The alternative is too scary.

We're all locked in our gafs tonight because western governments failed to learn from Asia.
    "Could never happen here".

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

deise08 wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted,
    Here's a strange one

Don't ever let the PR fool you, the likes of Russian and China are not helping Italy and others because they want to help, they are doing it so they can gain something out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

China did not tell those with virus to go home to infect rest of family, they dragged them kicking and screaming out of cars, stores, off the street, and isolated them in hotels so on.
    The West are too PC to beat this virus. Takes a bit of olde school methods to beat it. It's why Italy cannot find that curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    And it hasn't even been a week yet since lockdown started. Imagine what it will be like if the lockdown is still here in June and beyond, everyone will be about.

The Spanish flu ripped through Europe in 1918 when no one had a clue about curves or flattening them. It took 6 weeks to peak and 6 more to die down.
    3 months.
    It killed 130 million worldwide in a world with 30% of the population we have now.
    Flattening this curve will make 3 months 6 months at least and right now Covid 19 is not even in the halfpenny league in comparison.
    We have to hope that we have got a whole lot smarter in 100 years.
    It's going to be a lot longer that a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,784 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has anyone heard the rumour that a major US manufacturer just produced 30,000 vibrators because one of Trump's covid19 task force is dyslexic???

I shouldn't laugh or thank that but did, it cheered me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Guy showed remarkable restraint by not swinging that wheelie-bin at her head...

https://twitter.com/charliehtweets/status/1245722007947411458

Not enough tin-foil available for her hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    What chance do ye reckon we get to the stage social contact can go back to normal?. Pubs open by September?

Around June sometime would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Quality sarcasm doesn't need it.

Some clown couldnt get that France, Italy and Spain were reporting multiples of our death count. I said "Same population in every country right?". It wasn't exactly hilarious but I didnt think anyone would think i was serious.

Fuggedaboutit. (Or do i need to explain that one to you too?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw photos from O'Connell Street / Henry Street yesterday and Gardai were stopping both drivers and people on foot and asking them what their reason for being in the city centre was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

sgsdfsdfsd wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna prove that I can't think for myself either.
    I don't know the situation he was in, but what is the rule here in relation to 2km, surely if you found yourself 60km away for a valid reason you could go home? Or am I just thick.

Apparently you're not allowed to ask any type of questions here.

It seems that we're going to buy more defective equipment from the suppliers in China.

Is there no where else we can get them?

Yes I wondered can anywhere in Ireland mass produce PPE

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Interesting PDF link on the various requirements to be met before a lockdown can be lifted - currently, no European country comes close to meeting these:

https://preventepidemics.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COV020_WhenHowLoosenFaucet_v4.pdf
    Good sources, appears quite reputable and as you rightly say a very interesting read.

Hard to see how our shambolic data capture, without drastic improvement, would ever allow us to meet criteria.

Some clown couldnt get that France, Italy and Spain were reporting multiples of our death count. I said "Same population in every country right?". It wasn't exactly hilarious but I didnt think anyone would think i was serious.

Fuggedaboutit. (Or do i need to explain that one to you too?)

Some clown? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes I wondered can anywhere in Ireland mass produce PPE

Doubt it to the scale required at the minute but people forget we Irish are quick learners and can be taught anything if someone had the know how and good training techniques it would definitely be a worthwhile business to get into

A field hospital is being set up in Limerick, yesterday tented marquee with extra beds set up in Cork by Mercy hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

keynes wrote: »
    4 flights coming in from the UK tonight and a few hours later another one coming in from the world's virus epicenter, New York. This is an outrage that's not receiving the attention it deserves. What's the point of us staying inside while flights from the world's virus hotspots are continually coming in unchecked?
    Get Dee on de case! Beaumont is just a stone's throw from the airport. She'd probably be glad of the break from hiding in the bushes outside the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given the way this virus is spreading I reckon Russia are massively undercooking their books.

We have more infections than Russia....

I thought one of Putin's doctor is tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/russias-top-coronavirus-doctor-who-shook-hands-with-putin-tests-positive/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-putin/putin-to-hold-meeting-by-video-conference-after-contact-with-coronavirus-doctor-kremlin-idUSKBN21J54T

Putin to hold meeting by video-conference after contact with coronavirus doctor: Kremlin

Aer lingus crews that have flown to china on the late late show at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting PDF link on the various requirements to be met before a lockdown can be lifted - currently, no European country comes close to meeting these:

https://preventepidemics.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COV020_WhenHowLoosenFaucet_v4.pdf

That's actually very encouraging though. It suggests we could go from initial reopening of certain places to full reopening of most businesses and lifting of most restrictions within 8 weeks of that date, assuming there has been no big flare up of the virus in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Around June sometime would be my guess

only if some magical vaccine is invented in the meantime , by the beginning of may things will be relaxed with social distancing in place like a few weeks ago , the peak here is expected around the 16th of April it will be baby steps after that

i cant see pubs being open or mass gatherings of any sort over the summer taking place

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Some clown? Thanks

Apologies but in fairness it's pretty simple to grasp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wow:

"A bus driver in Detroit, Michigan, who railed against a passenger who coughed without covering her mouth in an impassioned Facebook video has died from Covid-19, officials told CBS News."

He was aged 50.

(BBC)

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A field hospital is being set up in Limerick, yesterday tented marquee with extra beds set up in Cork by Mercy hospital

On news a building getting built in Limerick for isolation, said it will be ready July/Aug
    WTF are we in for, Aug !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

China did not tell those with virus to go home to infect rest of family, they dragged them kicking and screaming out of cars, stores, off the street, and isolated them in hotels so on.
    The West are too PC to beat this virus. Takes a bit of olde school methods to beat it. It's why Italy cannot find that curve.

A tad exaggerated don`t you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Don't ever let the PR fool you, the likes of Russian and China are not helping Italy and others because they want to help, they are doing it so they can gain something out of it.

Oh ya because Russia and China are the "bad guys" lol. I think someones been consuming too much Western propaganda material.

only if some magical vaccine is invented in the meantime , by the beginning of may things will be relaxed with social distancing in place like a few weeks ago , the peak here is expected around the 16th of April it will be baby steps after that

i cant see pubs being open or mass gatherings of any sort over the summer taking place

It'll be nothing to do with "a magical vaccine", it'll be that we've pushed out the cases to over a period of time instead of one big go

My guess is the current measures until end of april at least, if possible then may to go back to the measures we were previously under, then from june onwards if possible a gradual reopening.

I can see pubs opening but I dont think mass events, concerts etc will be starting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Aer lingus crews that have flown to china on the late late show at the moment

Yep, all sitting close together. I guess the rules are not for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This piece on the LLS is ludicrous.

Lads who fly cargo planes on a daily basis must be scratching their heads at this

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Wow:

"A bus driver in Detroit, Michigan, who railed against a passenger who coughed without covering her mouth in an impassioned Facebook video has died from Covid-19, officials told CBS News."

He was aged 50.

(BBC)

There should be murder charges if you can't cover your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

An anti-parasite drug called Ivermectin has killed Covid-19 in cell cultures within 48 hours - if it could be regulated and calibrated for usage in humans, it could serve as treatment until a vaccine is developed:

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/national-news/2020/04/03/1114583/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An anti-parasite drug called Ivermectin has killed Covid-19 in cell cultures within 48 hours - if it could be regulated and calibrated for usage in humans, it could serve as treatment until a vaccine is developed:

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/national-news/2020/04/03/1114583/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab
    Is that used to treat dogs with mange?

• Advertisement

A tad exaggerated don`t you think?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9stCm_1585657264

Meanwhile in Ireland and Uk people swanning around with out a care in the world. So so man cars on roads here, not a Guard in sight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement