Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

froog wrote: »
    US will finish the day with the highest death number in the world. they'll break 1k deaths today and change and they are very early into this. it would not be inconceivable for the US to be hitting 5k deaths a day very soon. that is absolutely insane.

Trump can stay quiet now, as ironically it is up to the Governors of each State to decide what measures to take.

Orange Man could just self isolate and let them at it. But it is the tone and the message I suppose. Not getting much there either from Trorange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I'd be more worried about India at this stage. India lost 10 million during the Spanish Flu.

I don't know if we would hear about rural India, poorer parts of Africa, or South America. Not sure if remote villages will be impacted or counted if they are

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strazdas wrote: »
    Lifting severe restrictions on society is not optional. They have to be lifted. By their essence, they can only ever be temporary : no society could function with a six month or longer lockdown.

At that point, the risks to society from the lockdown itself would be far greater than from the virus.
    What relevance is that to my post?

You drew unconditional optimism from a proposed methodology which of it's nature was highly conditional.

Nowhere did I suggest that the restrictions should be open-ended, I simply pointed out that we could not meet the requirements envisaged because we were not capturing the necessary data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I know we are having difficulty getting the reagents for testing. Does anyone know if regulations around sourcing of those chemicals has been relaxed so universities and pharmaceutical industries can start making them for the HSE to use in testing? I know under normal circumstances there are only certain suppliers permitted to supply these reagents to the NVRL and other labs where human samples are processed for healthcare purposes. I woud hope thats been changed.

Wonder how many Asylum seekers have entered in the last few days. God help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

the social distance measures are here to stay long term , there is no way pubs will be able to open while its in place

Not necessarily : the main justification for severe social distancing would be if the virus was circulating freely, was being transmitted by community spread and cases in the country were growing exponentially by the day. That may not be the case in three or four month's time (especially if we were to discover that Covid-19 is seasonal in nature).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is not quite the same type of risk as packaged food from a grocery shop. Packaged food in a grocery shop might have the virus on the outside because should touched it or was heavily breathing on it, but you can be fairly sure there isn’t anything on the food itself or inside the packaging (except for super fresh stuff packaged in the shop).

On the other hand the Mc Donald’s take away was just prepared/packaged by someone who could have blown droplets on the food after grilling the burger or inside the packaging. If they can procures them, you’d hope they are giving surgical masks to employees though.

there is no evidence right now of coronavirus being passed on through food. think about it, if it's on the food and somehow manages to survive the harsh conditions of cooked food, it goes into your stomach where it gets destroyed by stomach acid.

cold food would be a bigger worry though, especially if you are eating it with your hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Going to order an Indian Butter Chicken with naan bread tomorrow from local Indian

I have never in my life ordered a takeout meal for delivery! Maybe I should try it, as something to mark the weekend.

This blurring of days is not good for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

gabeeg wrote: »
    I worry that it might be going that way, and I'm dreading it.

I'm in Dublin too. A very large apartment complex on the south side. I've seen a bit more mingling than I'd like to have, particularly amongst the children of familes.
    But it's a very high density place. Hard to avoid, and the vast majority here are staying indoors.

It makes me a little nervous to see, but I don't want anyone slapped around by cops are the bloody army for being a little daft.
    I see the majority around my way keeping their distance and being very courteous, in fact its like years ago when everybody would say hello in passing.Masks are now getting more popular which is great.One problem i am seeing around my way is groups of Brazilians who are not complying with social distancing. Gang of 10 down the park earlier having a picnic and when i was waiting to go into lidl everyone was queuing on the designated spot except a group of 5 Brazilians who all stood together and despite being pulled up on it refused to move. I live on one of the busiest streets in D9 and i see groups of them going up and down the road as if noting is happening .This is where we need the guards to enforce the regulations.

• Advertisement

With regard to the Health Act 2020, has the Minister officially designated an “affected areas order” to any locations within the country?

Are the current travel restrictions still only advice at this point, or is there other legislation available to ensure enforcement?

If not, do the Garda have any powers to enforce restrictions at this point?
    No, not at present, in reality if you are really obstructive or piss them off sufficiently there is a plethora of Public Order offences that they can use, and given the current situation the courts might even be minded to enforce penalties for them.

OK, I don't think I'd be confident to be in a crowded space for a looooooong time.

Same with travel sadly.

Things might open up again gradually, but public confidence or lack thereof might be a factor in the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It seems the virus can survive a while on smooth surfaces like a door handle or elevator button but I haven't seen any evidence that it can live on and be transmitted through food or other packaging like cardboard. Most experts are saying the risk is negligible

Now I want a big mac

It can survive 24 hours on carboard.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It seems the virus can survive a while on smooth surfaces like a door handle or elevator button but I haven't seen any evidence that it can live on and be transmitted through food or other packaging like cardboard. Most experts are saying the risk is negligible

Now I want a big mac
    One day on cardboard, from the same study that gave the time spans for metals and plastics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

OK, I don't think I'd be confident to be in a crowded space for a looooooong time.

Same with travel sadly.

Things might open up again gradually, but public confidence or lack thereof might be a factor in the decision.

I reckon the second pubs are opened again they will be absolutely rammed again. It may be the same cohort that went cheltenham or packed the pubs prior to the lockdown but regular folk too will just be sick of restrictions and wanting to blow off steam too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bekker wrote: »
    What relevance is that to my post?

You drew unconditional optimism from a proposed methodology which of it's nature was highly conditional.

Nowhere did I suggest that the restrictions should be open-ended, I simply pointed out that we could not meet the requirements envisaged because we were not capturing the necessary data.

That PDF is not an Irish document. The Dept of Health will decide if and when it is appropriate to start lifting some restrictions (that PDF has so many conditions and strict criteria attached that it would be difficult for many countries around the world to come out of lockdown during 2020 if they were to stick to it rigidly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They are all closed so no you did not but otherwise I agree

Edit: unless of course you in a different country then Ireland and I think the U.K
    I'm in Germany.

there is no evidence right now of coronavirus being passed on through food. think about it, if it's on the food and somehow manages to survive the harsh conditions of cooked food, it goes into your stomach where it gets destroyed by stomach acid.

cold food would be a bigger worry though, especially if you are eating it with your hands.

63 degrees C for four minutes can reduce contamination by a factor of 1,000 but not completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not necessarily : the main justification for severe social distancing would be if the virus was circulating freely, was being transmitted by community spread and cases in the country were growing exponentially by the day. That may not be the case in three or four month's time (especially if we were to discover that Covid-19 is seasonal in nature).

i hope your right , but i am not so sure just yet , it would be great if everything resumed to normal so soon ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WeMetHere

And varadkar on the phone a few days back thanking them for taking our money and blowing them kisses.
    Time to play hard ball with the sneaky fcukers now and less of the nicey niceys.
    If it’s not fit for purpose it should be flown back to them at their expense and tell them to rev up and fcuk off

Yeah, that’s right and never order any PPEs from them again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fauci excluded at the last minute from Trump briefing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

China did not tell those with virus to go home to infect rest of family, they dragged them kicking and screaming out of cars, stores, off the street, and isolated them in hotels so on.
    The West are too PC to beat this virus. Takes a bit of olde school methods to beat it. It's why Italy cannot find that curve.

The virus is still rampant in China they've just stopped testing for it so they aren't reporting any new cases. I wouldn't be using them as an example of how to deal with the virus either considering that they covered up the initial outbreak and even the dog in the street knows that they have underreported the number of cases and deaths by a huge amount.

If it were capable of carrying the virus it would contaminate the mucus in your mouth on it's way down, packaging via hand to mouth is far more likely.

Stheno wrote: »

i feel like he's a very convenient fall guy for trump when the time comes. and the time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

On news a building getting built in Limerick for isolation, said it will be ready July/Aug
    WTF are we in for, Aug !

I didn't see the news, but could this be one of a number of isolation buildings planed on being built for incoming travel in the future

Not surprised, he is telling the truth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

An anti-parasite drug called Ivermectin has killed Covid-19 in cell cultures within 48 hours - if it could be regulated and calibrated for usage in humans, it could serve as treatment until a vaccine is developed:

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/national-news/2020/04/03/1114583/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab

Interesting, that's also a treatment for headlice.

That PDF is not an Irish document. The Dept of Health will decide if and when it is appropriate to start lifting some restrictions (that PDF has so many conditions and strict criteria attached that it would be difficult for many countries around the world to come out of lockdown during 2020 if they were to stick to it rigidly).
    Yet you drew baselessly optimistic comfort from it without any reference to the Irish Government in your initial remarks.

You just can't pick out those bits that fit you requirements, well of course you can if you so choose, just not rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

i feel like he's a very convenient fall guy for trump when the time comes. and the time will come.

The epicentres of Corona in the US are in democrat run states and cities where Trump's authority is secondary or even tertiary until the federal government is tasked to take control.

Just 3-4 weeks ago, Bill De Blasio was telling New Yorkers this was nonsense panic over nothing and to use the tube etc as normal.

Other Democrats including Pelosi also echoed the same message.

The epicentres of Corona in the US are in democrat run states and cities where Trump's authority is secondary or even tertiary until the federal government is tasked to take control.

Just 3-4 weeks ago, Bill De Blasio was telling New Yorkers this was nonsense panic over nothing and to use the tube etc as normal.

Other Democrats including Pelosi also echoed the same message.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's mountains of evidence that it's spread by droplets. Could droplets conceivably end up on the top of your burger?

yes

could you swallow all the virus along with the burger leaving you 100% virus free?

Dunno. Probably not.

You shouldn't need scientific studies to tell you this stuff is a risk. Maybe a risk we're willing to take, but still a risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

"All our patients are in their 50's or younger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlbCmRJMW4

Stay at home ffs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CDC - we recommend people we as r masks

Trump - I'm not doing it, it's not presidential in the Oval office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

gabeeg wrote: »
    There's mountains of evidence that it's spread by droplets. Could droplets conceivably end up on the top of your burger?

yes

could you swallow all the virus along with the burger leaving you 100% virus free?

Dunno. Probably not.

You shouldn't need scientific studies to tell you this stuff is a risk. Maybe a risk we're willing to take, but still a risk

Can’t you say that about all foodstuffs?

The virus is still rampant in China they've just stopped testing for it so they aren't reporting any new cases. I wouldn't be using them as an example of how to deal with the virus either considering that they covered up the initial outbreak and even the dog in the street knows that they have underreported the number of cases and deaths by a huge amount.
    Please provide sources for assertion that Chinese have stopped testing for COVID-19.

Googling for 'chinese stop testing for covid-19' brings up a lot of matches, none of which either confirm or mention your allegations.

Bear no love or admiration for CCCP but really tired of geopolitical crap appearing here, there are appropriate fora for that.

Can’t you say that about all foodstuffs?

Most other foodstuffs are packaged or wrapped and would have been last exposed to potential infection more than 75 hours ago. Hence leaving the shopping to sit for three days before unpacking or using, is good practice,

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

lol

Good response. Fitting of a democrat apologist :)

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Most other foodstuffs are packaged or wrapped and would have been last exposed to potential infection more than 75 hours ago. Hence leaving the shopping to sit for three days before unpacking or using, is good practice,

Not fruit, veg, fresh meat, cheese. Loads of stuff. Can’t leave a lot of foodstuffs for 3 days I would think

• Advertisement

Not fruit, veg, fresh meat, cheese. Loads of stuff

So you leave them sit for three days to be sure. Or wash them. You're just being obtuse now.
    There's no comparison with the risks from takeaway foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Not fruit, veg, fresh meat, cheese. Loads of stuff. Can’t leave a lot of foodstuffs for 3 days I would think

You can wash most fruit and veg, you cook meat and cheese does come packaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Would you not just wipe it down??

Seems more practical,than leaving food lying out for days on end??

According to Dr. Sanjay Gupta....this is he view on how to do that

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/04/03/sanjay-gupta-wiping-cleaning-groceries-demo-town-hall-vpx.cnn

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    So you leave them sit for three days to be sure. Or wash them. You're just being obtuse now.
    There's no comparison with the risks from takeaway foods.

I would assume that restaurants are taking just as much precautions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,342 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surely it belongs to Britain and they want it back?

Good response. Fitting of a democrat apologist :)

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

agree with this maybe its just dublin , guards are everywhere at the moment down the country

Have noticed a marked increase in Gardaí where I am (Southside Dublin). In fact, from recollection, I can't remember seeing one on normal duty up to now (but probably just wasn't paying attention).

Trump losing the plot altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We should crowd fund Vincent Browne to go over and ask the hard questions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

The journos need to group together and he will go over the edge....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement