Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fritzelly wrote: »
    Today in Ireland it was confirmed 2 people in the 25-34 age group died - this isn't an old persons disease, they are just more susceptible to the dangers of it.

This is not an old person's disease, it's not people with underlying conditions either. This will take anyone out. People of all ages are dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

indough wrote: »
    You can wash most fruit and veg, you cook meat and cheese does come packaged
    Use Milton on veg and rince well

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Use Milton on veg and rince well

This is an envelope virus. Which means it’s very easy to kill. Even washing a surface with washing up liquid will kill it. You should always wash veg properly before eating raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Coronavirus: Anti-parasitic drug Ivermectin kills COVID-19 in lab within 48 hours

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fin12 wrote: »
    That video should be shown to everyone.
    I don't understand the authorities over our briefings. They should be coming out and telling us so anybody who's not taking this seriously, starts doing so. I get that they don't want to cause panic but it has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

old_aussie wrote: »
    Coronavirus: Anti-parasitic drug Ivermectin kills COVID-19 in lab within 48 hours

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

While it would be great news - many many treatments never get out of the lab

They don't give those figures in the briefing
    Where did you get them?

I am so glad that the leaders of the main parties here aren't as f!cking stupid as the one they have over in the states. Outside of Kerry's finest and the odd flash-in-the-pan populist, we at least listen to experts and don't go full-retard on serious issues.

Expecting the usual crew on here to post defending him, but they are very silent lately, so we have one or two new accounts taking up that mantle along with the I don't like him but.. posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Expecting the usual crew on here to post defending him, but they are very silent lately, so we have one or two new accounts taking up that mantle along with the I don't like him but.. posters.

People say he is stupid etc etc but he is far from that. And that model comment shows he really doesn’t care. Not a great president to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

human trials ?? i'll sign up ...easy money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Today in Ireland it was confirmed 2 people in the 25-34 age group died - this isn't an old persons disease, they are just more susceptible to the dangers of it.

Not that it matters because it’s horrible either way, but is it known whether they had underlying conditions or not?

I’m in that age group and have fairly bad asthma but I’m expected to go into work anyway by my employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

bekker wrote: »
    New York firm, can't recollect name, also Healgen Scientific of Texas.

Randox Laboratories and Biopanda Reagents in Belfast are selling kits. Randox is also running employee testing for businesses.

this crowd
    Not available in Ireland or to the UK public

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

7 News. Is that the same channel that Home & Away use to be on.......Seven!

Interesting, but I reckon its for clicks more than anything else.

Not that it matters because it’s horrible either way, but is it known whether they had underlying conditions or not?

I’m in that age group and have fairly bad asthma but I’m expected to go into work anyway by my employer.

They don't give that individual data - not publicly anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This seems to be in Australia.

Wouldn't Ireland have to pass the drug for treatment for Covid-19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

You used to have hurlers on tv advertising dosing cattle with that stuff in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,658 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 of 122 and we don't know if they had underlying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

According to worldometres:
    Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19 would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.
    Would put mortality around 0.5%- but could be as low as 0.2%(assuming a 75% asymptomatic rate, which seems unlikely and there is no proof that many people are asymptomatic) or as high as 1.2%(assuming asymptomatic is not an actual thing and is simply 'presymptomatic'.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭KaneToad

threeball wrote: »
    You used to have hurlers on tv advertising dosing cattle with that stuff in the 80s.

"Ivomec Pour-on. Kills all known parasites."

People say he is stupid etc etc but he is far from that. And that model comment shows he really doesn’t care. Not a great president to have.

Good con man, not a good president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This seems to be in Australia.

Wouldn't Ireland have to pass the drug for treatment for Covid-19?

It's already approved by the FDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

threeball wrote: »

should have listened to them

wakka12 wrote: »

Would put mortality around 0.5%

Probably closer to the real numbers

fryup wrote: »
    should have listened to them

Ahead of their time

Would put mortality around 0.5%- but could be as low as 0.3% or as high as 1%

Any report that starts with we will take the confirmed and multiply by a large number and multiply the deaths by a small number should be taken with a large pinch of salt until there is definitive evidence either way

All those reports do is give credence to those saying its no worse than flu when it obviously isn't

No one even know the real spread of flu every year - they just guesstimate the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Good con man, not a good president.

He is talking about the whole thing like the entire American population are guests at one of his hotels.

Any report that starts with we will take the confirmed and multiply by a large number and multiply the deaths by a small number should be taken with a large pinch of salt until there is definitive evidence either way

All those reports do is give credence to those saying its no worse than flu when it obviously isn't

The death stats would be far closer to the real figure than the total cases number.

2 of 122 and we don't know if they had underlying conditions.

Did you see the ch4 interview with a doctor in England or Wales? The icu in the hospital is at full capacity now with the operating theatres now shut down and used as additional ICU. A lot of his patients are in their 50s and under. His youngest patient in ICU is early 20s. He said there no commodities. There's no underlying conditions in some of his patients.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Banditluke. That was an amazing video from C4.
    That poor medic. We really have to reevaluate things after this.

• Advertisement

https://www.indexmundi.com/blog/index.php/2018/03/05/how-many-people-die-a-day-in-the-us/

Over 1300 deaths in the US today from/with coronavirus out of a typical 7450 deaths per day in the US. It is already having a massive impact on such a large country in a very early stage of the epidemic. If the deaths are excess and not just already ill people dying who happen to have coronavirus then mortality in the country has been inflated by almost 20% because of coronavirus

And taking this into account can we just consider how unbelievably fake China's numbers are again

The death stats would be far closer to the real figure than the total cases number.

Only if you tested every one in the country and those that have died.
    Anyways the report is meaningless - Worldometers give no link to the report, no sampling size or anything to back up the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Would put mortality around 0.5%- but could be as low as 0.2%(assuming a 75% asymptomatic rate, which seems unlikely and there is no proof that many people are asymptomatic) or as high as 1.2%(assuming asymptomatic is not an actual thing and is simply 'presymptomatic'.)

ok the first question i would ask here is have 60 000 actually died in italy since the start of the year if so thats 10% of the population

https://www.indexmundi.com/blog/index.php/2018/03/05/how-many-people-die-a-day-in-the-us/

Over 1300 deaths in the US today from/with coronavirus out of a typical 7450 deaths per day in the US. It is already having a massive impact on such a large country in a very early stage of the epidemic

Seems to be turning out to be a killer. Not just the flu at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone get nervous as fúck when they do a normal lone cough? "Was that wet or dry? How many times have I coughed today?"

ok the first question i would ask here is have 60 000 actually died in italy since the start of the year if so thats 10% of the population

No it’s not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Can the world declare war on China after this?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He is talking about the whole thing like the entire American population are guests at one of his hotels.

This is a guy whos been bankrupt 3 times and is only still relevant due to russian mafia money. Hes still convinced hes some hotshot businessman and no matter how he fcuks up he lands on his feet. Its no wonder he acts like he does.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Anyone get nervous as fúck when they do a normal lone cough? "Was that wet or dry? How many times have I coughed today?"

Everytime I'm in the supermarket - furtive glance around, anyone looking at me, then let rip

60,000 is 0.1% of the Italian population:p That is still a very large percent of the population killed by coronavirus in just a month though

The high rate of young people in ICU is worrying me. It doesn't translate to deaths thankfully, most of them come through it OK.

Is this new though? Anyone know if the original cases in Wuhan had similar young people in ICU?

• Advertisement

60,000 is 0.1% of the Italian population:p That is still a very large percent of the population killed by coronavirus in just a month though

Death rate overall is about 1%. So covid accounting for 10% of deaths

No it’s not

sorry its not of course its not my maths are crap , but if 60 000 people died since the start of the year would be noticed a lot more surly

sorry its not of course its not my maths are crap , but if 60 000 people died since the start of the year would be noticed a lot more surly

Not a huge number overall going by normal mortality rates

Death rate overall is about 1%. So covid accounting for 10% of deaths

Hopefully it's a fraction of of 1pc.
    1pc would be huge.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The high rate of young people in ICU is worrying me. It doesn't translate to deaths thankfully, most of them come through it OK.

Is this new though? Anyone know if the original cases in Wuhan had similar young people in ICU?

it was so bad they had to build a brand new hospital in only a few days to cope

Hopefully it's a fraction of of 1pc.
    1pc would be huge.

Death rate in Italy is about 10.6 per 1000 for 2019. Ours is about 6 per k. But we have a younger pop.

it was so bad they had to build a brand new hospital in only a few days to cope

But the age profile... Has it changed? Lots of young people needing hospital support. Vast majority do recover though, but I wonder if there has been a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Can the world declare war on China after this?

Damn those short sleeve gowns

Death rate in Italy is about 10.6 per 1000 for 2019

Oh OK. 1pc of people die every year?

But that's a very different thing from 1pc of people dying from this infection.

But the age profile... Has it changed? Lots of young people needing hospital support. Vast majority do recover though, but I wonder if there has been a change?

Of 115k in Italy only 20k are now fully recovered but even fully recovered, as we've seen from China and other countries, doesn't mean the virus is gone

Lot of uncertain times ahead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement