Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh OK. 1pc of people die every year?

But that's a very different thing from 1pc of people dying from this infection.

Yes. Closer to .1

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Sweden are taking a very liberal approach...for now: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden/swedens-liberal-pandemic-strategy-questioned-as-stockholm-death-toll-mounts-idUSKBN21L23R

Seems they are thinking a long shutdown won't be sustainable and so they are doing it very gradually (if at all really). Cafes, bars, shops etc still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Can the world declare war on China after this?

i am sure they can at least try , not sure if it would be very successful though :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's already approved by the FDA.

That's somewhat good. Would the HPRA have to approve the drug here for use as Covid-19 treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

i am sure they can at least try , not sure if it would be very successful though :rolleyes:

China would never beat a collective bond of countries together. US Europe and overseas would destroy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/turkey-imposes-curfew-on-youth-shuts-borders-of-31-cities-12608520
    Turkey closes borders of 31 cities in the country, imposes curfew on youths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Asked the theoretical question how this would affect trade with China a few weeks ago (may have been sooner, all days roll into one these days) on here late at night (when normal people are usually browsing) and would it make the western world start bringing manufacturing home (not war but similar)

After seeing the sub par PPE, kits etc and being reliant on almost entirely on China to supply these may make countries have a serious think about it.

Infect the world then make money off helping them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

China would never beat a collective bond of countries together. US Europe and overseas would destroy them.

And their viruses too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Thats whats known as mutually assured destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

old_aussie wrote: »
    Coronavirus: Anti-parasitic drug Ivermectin kills COVID-19 in lab within 48 hours

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

What does invitro mean? Is it that it kills it in a lab setting?

Sorry for the stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Stheno wrote: »

Yep, basically in a test tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Stheno wrote: »

90% of things that work in labs don't work the same in the human body.

Yeah you realise China has nuclear capacity and if people posting that they spread the virus deliberately are to be believed, which I don't, do you expect them not to use their nuclear arsenal when attacked as you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Death rate in Italy is about 10.6 per 1000 for 2019. Ours is about 6 per k. But we have a younger pop.

Is that 6 deaths per 1k invected people?
    That makes no sense,.we have a much much lower infection rate per head of population compared to Italy...but yet you still do the predictive maths and make it look like we're slowly creeping up to Italian rates!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

And their viruses too :)

talking to the voices in your head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in a video game maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Coronavirus: Anti-parasitic drug Ivermectin kills COVID-19 in lab within 48 hours

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

That would be huge. Any country in the world with cattle would have big stockpiles of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭piplip87

Tullamore show, Bannow Rathdannhen Show, IVETA national rally among some of the big outdoor events cancelled for the Summer. Tullamore is worrying as it's not due until August. They wouldn't cancel on a whim either.

I'd say we could be avoiding large crowds until Halloween

spookwoman wrote: »

If true this will mean further restrictions will be needed. Obviously joggers heavily breathing and panting while passing dozens of people represent a risk then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
    According to worldometres:

Would put mortality around 0.5%- but could be as low as 0.2%(assuming a 75% asymptomatic rate, which seems unlikely and there is no proof that many people are asymptomatic) or as high as 1.2%(assuming asymptomatic is not an actual thing and is simply 'presymptomatic'.)

[QUOTE=windy shepard henderson;113050623]ok the first question i would ask here is have 60 000 actually died in italy since the start of the year if so thats 10% of the population[/QUOTE]

60,000 is 10% of 600,000. The population of Italy is 60,000,000

wakka12 wrote: »
    If true this will mean further restrictions will be needed. Obviously joggers heavily breathing and panting while passing dozens of people represent a risk then

Don't know but if the public has been told to wear masks plenty of small companies could have started making them and that would have helped a lot with stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Our number of cases are not accurate , no countries are, due to lack of testing.....so we do not know what that true figure is. Therefore,We cannot figure out the death rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

threeball wrote: »
    Ahead of their time

Out standing in their own field

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fujs6i/10423_new_cases_680_new_deaths_in_new_york_today/
    680 deaths in New York today

The population of New York State is only 19 million and the vast majority of deaths within the city of just 8 million so it is currently probably the most impacted place on earth per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

That was explicitly stated by Dr Michael Osterholm on the Joe Rogan podcast , back on March 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

interesting...i use this for horse worm doses and its also used for sheep. it's poisonous for dogs though and especially collies who have some gene which reacts badly to it and can kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

First they came for the joggers, for they panted and breathed heavily, and I said nothing, for I was not a jogger.

Then they came for the asthmatics, for they panted and breathed heavily, and I said nothing, for I was not asthmatic.

Then they came for the rest of the respiratorily challenged, and I said nothing, for I was not of them.

Then they came for the breathers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Our case numbers are miles off. The only Stát you can really rely on is the death figures from reputable countries.

Ireland are just behind Australia on the Case rankings

Australia 5454 Cases, 28 Deaths
    Ireland 4273, 120 Deaths

How do we have 4 times as many deaths as Australia with a similar number?

I take Australia to a reputable country. If the Australian stats are bang on then we should have 4 times as many cases, over 16,000. But nobody is being tested here, or you have to wait 2 weeks to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

where is the 60k casualties in Italy figure coming from, isn't it 15k ?That's a very high death rate in new York for a population of 8million.

• Advertisement

Really sad to hear of the two young nurses in England dying today. Both mothers of 3 children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

KaneToad wrote: »
    "Ivomec Pour-on. Kills all known parasites."

Sarcoptic mange mite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,794 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The high rate of young people in ICU is worrying me. It doesn't translate to deaths thankfully, most of them come through it OK.

Is this new though? Anyone know if the original cases in Wuhan had similar young people in ICU?

How do you know there is a high rate of young in ICU in ROI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Our number of cases are not accurate , no countries are, due to lack of testing.....so we do not know what that true figure is. Therefore,We cannot figure out the death rate
    we can figure out the death rate !!

The CDC called it today as well. They recommended people wear face coverings to stop spread of coronavirus, but then Trump immediately says "I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

He's worse than a defiant toddler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

People say he is stupid etc etc but he is far from that. And that model comment shows he really doesn’t care. Not a great president to have.

I don't think it shows he doesn't care. If he didn't care he wouldn't have shut down the economy to prevent more deaths. I think he's just not a career politician so he doesn't speak like one. It's a big part of why he became so popular to a lot of people. I think he does the same terrible things every other US president does, nothing different about him really. Just goes to show how little power the president in USA really has when there are so many powerful people and companies behind them pulling the strings. US politics puts way too much emphasis on personality rather than policy and their media is absolute propaganda so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Our case numbers are miles off. The only Stát you can really rely on is the death figures from reputable countries.

Ireland 4273, 120 Deaths

I take Australia to a reputable country. If the Australian stats are bang on then we should have 4 times as many cases, over 16,000. But nobody is being tested here, or you have to wait 2 weeks to get a result.

You're citing Australia's response? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ireland 4273, 120 Deaths

Is it because we have clusters in nursing homes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

We won't need further restrictions here, because we acted much earlier than the US.
    Our ICU numbers look like they're stabilizing well below capacity.
    I expect that we will start to ease restrictions gradually from the end of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,794 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Really sad to hear of the two young nurses in England dying today. Both mothers of 3 children.

RIP

I’m quoting an old post of mine on wearing masks in Ireland:

“I’m stunned that not a single public figure has worn a mask yet.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

PLEASE can just one single public figure wear a mask and lead by example.

I really don't understand it. After all this time, only a handful cover their faces when in a supermarket. Irish people are resourceful enough. If we don't have a mask, we can use a scarf, any other fabric, anything is better than nothing.

I keep saying it, anyone of us may have the virus and not know it - yet - so by wearing a mask/scarf/covering we keep the virus to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

This has been known of for months, normal aspiration generating microdroplets, which are probably more transmissible at normal speech aspiration levels.

Asymptomatic transmission has been known to be at levels of >10%, and symptomatic with mild to somewhat noticeable but not really inconveniencing levels ~40%, again for months. That's what the 60x actual cases over reported cases was based.

It's just that people have been ignoring it or shying away from it, possibly because it was originally revealed in Chinese studies.

It wouldn't surprise me if our healthcare staff walks out.

The CDC called it today as well. They recommended people wear face coverings to stop spread of coronavirus, but then Trump immediately says "I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

He's worse than a defiant toddler.

Hopefully he gets it, i can only image what he is like when he gets ordinary flu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The high rate of young people in ICU is worrying me. It doesn't translate to deaths thankfully, most of them come through it OK.

Is this new though? Anyone know if the original cases in Wuhan had similar young people in ICU?

Theres also no point in looking at China for any kind of statistics on the virus as everything released by official sources are wrong

• Advertisement

I don't think it shows he doesn't care. If he didn't care he wouldn't have shut down the economy to prevent more deaths. I think he's just not a career politician so he doesn't speak like one. It's a big part of why he became so popular to a lot of people. I think he does the same terrible things every other US president does, nothing different about him really. Just goes to show how little power the president in USA really has when there are so many powerful people and companies behind them pulling the strings. US politics puts way too much emphasis on personality rather than policy and their media is absolute propaganda so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

1) He's shown, over and over, that he cares for nothing and no-one but himself and his interests.

2) He didn't shut down the economy. He tried to keep it going and the governors overruled him.

3) He does NOT do 'the same terrible things every American president does'. Obama wouldn't be acting like Trump now. Clinton wouldn't. Not even ****ing Dubya Bush, as much as I hated him, would be. Trump is uniquely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    What will our peak look like? It seems we are not to far away from it now. My worry is thing don't get much worse and things dont improve that much so it keeps is in limbo for a long time. So the restriction are doing a good job and the hospitals aren't overwhelmed but there still is 200-300 new cases being diagnosed and 15-30 deaths per day for a long period. Its hard to lift restrictions becuse the risks are high but its also hard to continue as we are because the risks to the economy are too great.

If there's that many new cases every day for a long time then hospitals will be overwhelmed without a doubt. I agree with you there are just so many unknowns, we don't know how long this will last or how long we can keep up lockdown for and still have the economy recover. I'm glad I'm not one of those that have to make these decisions.

I’m quoting an old post of mine on wearing masks in Ireland:

“I’m stunned that not a single public figure has worn a mask yet.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

PLEASE can just one single public figure wear a mask and lead by example.

I really don't understand it. After all this time, only a handful cover their faces when in a supermarket. Irish people are resourceful enough. If we don't have a mask, we can use a scarf, any other fabric, anything is better than nothing.

I keep saying it, anyone of us may have the virus and not know it - yet - so by wearing a mask/scarf/covering we keep the virus to ourselves.

I think everyone should be wearing a mask. But we have a shortage for medical staff. They need them the most.

Then I was in a chemist asking about the cost of face masks and it was €6 for 3 of them. They are robbing us when we need them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It wouldn't surprise me if our healthcare staff walks out.

Do you actually live in the real world or just spend your time thinking of the most ridiculous statements to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Theres also no point in looking at China for any kind of statistics on the virus as everything released by official sources are wrong
    Don't you know that all the worldwide research for a vaccine is based on data released from Chinese official channels.

So you won't be wanting an innoculation then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement