Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,658 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did the nursing homes get riddled with it from people visiting who should have stayed away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you actually live in the real world or just spend your time thinking of the most ridiculous statements to post?

Our healthcare staff are putting their lives at risk every single day, not only themselves but to go home to their families and putting them at risk as well. With little PPE and re-using whatever they have. This situation is real and terrifying for them. And you're having a go at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,728 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think everyone should be wearing a mask. But we have a shortage for medical staff. They need them the most.

Then I was in a chemist asking about the cost of face masks and it was €6 for 3 of them. They are robbing us when we need them now.

,4.75 each for used masks on eBay. 3 for £6 sounds good:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

davedanon wrote: »
    1) He's shown, over and over, that he cares for nothing and no-one but himself and his interests.

2) He didn't shut down the economy. He tried to keep it going and the governors overruled him.

3) He does NOT do 'the same terrible things every American president does'. Obama wouldn't be acting like Trump now. Clinton wouldn't. Not even ****ing Dubya Bush, as much as I hated him, would be. Trump is uniquely terrible.

Uk did exactly the same thing, speaking of Obama he is just a bad, at least with Trump what u see is what u get unlike Obama absolutely rat, he went down to Flintown where they are deliberately poisoning their water and he went down their and lied to the people faces that there was nothing wrong with their water and subsequently pretended to drink some water. I’m sorry but if u can lie and continue to tell people to drink filthy water , don’t think he would give a f*ck about people health.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Did the nursing homes get riddled with it from people visiting who should have stayed away?

I know the 1st cluster( and 1st death of many unfortunately) was brought In by a member of staff unwittingly of course.

M

Is all the used PPE getting incinerated or what happens to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

No visitors to nursing homes since at least 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No visitors to nursing homes since at least 3 weeks ago.

Time frame means nothing - could be getting passed around silently, workers could have caught it outside...
    The only way to isolate the nursing homes would be to completely cut off all contact with the outside world
    They are just unfortunately a demographic that the virus would rip through if it gets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

fin12 wrote: »
    Uk did exactly the same thing, speaking of Obama he is just a bad, at least with Trump what u see is what u get unlike Obama absolutely rat, he went down to Flintown where they are deliberately poisoning their water and he went down their and lied to the people faces that there was nothing wrong with their water and subsequently pretended to drink some water. I’m sorry but if u can lie and continue to tell people to drink filthy water , don’t think he would give a f*ck about people health.

That is so illiterate I can't even read it without getting a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Nursing homes went against advice and closed up to visitors earlier than anyone that the government advised, as early as the 6th March. I would think nursing homes are being infected through staff having virus and not realising it

• Advertisement

Time frame means nothing - could be getting passed around silently, workers could have caught it outside...
    The only way to isolate the nursing homes would be to completely cut off all contact with the outside world
    They are just unfortunately a demographic that the virus would rip through if it gets in.

The original poster asked if visitors brought it in and if they should have stayed away. I would also say it was staff not knowing they had it too.

Do you actually live in the real world or just spend your time thinking of the most ridiculous statements to post?

If they don’t have correct equipment they won’t be able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

China would never beat a collective bond of countries together. US Europe and overseas would destroy them.

The US alone would beat them but it would be a blood bath

Our healthcare staff are putting their lives at risk every single day, not only themselves but to go home to their families and putting them at risk as well. With little PPE and re-using whatever they have. This situation is real and terrifying for them. And you're having a go at me?

Fire fighters wouldn’t try to put out a fire without protective equipment, this is no different

frillyleaf wrote: »
    If they don’t have correct equipment they won’t be able to work.

That's completely different from what the poster is saying
    Healthcare workers have a primary goal - to help people less fortunate/sick (it's not a job for people involved, its more vocational). They won't just drop tools in an emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

wakka12 wrote: »
    If true this will mean further restrictions will be needed. Obviously joggers heavily breathing and panting while passing dozens of people represent a risk then

They probably will be introduced. It's so strange seeing people standing 2 meters apart while talking yet running people pass within two feet of each other sweating, puffing and panting.

Supermarkets are doing a good job, but they're not perfect either; you're standing in your queue on your little blue or yellow rectangle that says 'PLEASE STAND HERE - Social distancing'. You're 2 meters from the bloke in front whose standing on his little rectangle except you're only a foot and a half from the bloke on your left who cant find the Doritos.

I'd say we're very close to being told to cover our mouths/noses. I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    The US alone would beat them but it would be a blood bath

Do u think Trump will do anything to China after this? I feel he is the only leader who would actually have the balls to do something to China. Maybe Russia aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

syngindub wrote: »
    we can figure out the death rate !!

As a percentage of population or confirmed cases. But not of actual cases because the number of confirmed cases is most likely multiples less than the actual number of people that have contracted it. So many are asymptomatic or may have recovered at home without any medical help or testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

1) He's shown, over and over, that he cares for nothing and no-one but himself and his interests.

2) He didn't shut down the economy. He tried to keep it going and the governors overruled him.

3) He does NOT do 'the same terrible things every American president does'. Obama wouldn't be acting like Trump now. Clinton wouldn't. Not even ****ing Dubya Bush, as much as I hated him, would be. Trump is uniquely terrible.

Trump makes Bush's response to hurricane Katrina look brilliant. Actually he makes Bush in general seem like a great president in hindsight. Who would ever have thought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

KaneToad wrote: »
    "Ivomec Pour-on. Kills all known parasites."

My company makes that. You couldn't just start injecting it in to people.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hopefully he gets it, i can only image what he is like when he gets ordinary flu :D

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Italy had a death rate of 10.2 per 1000 for 2019 so they'd have been expecting circa 641,300 dead for 2020 so maybe 53,442 a month average expected

Spain had 9.2 per 1000 with circa 430,560 expected this year 35,880 on average a month

Be interesting if could get a total monthly number of deaths for March or maybe end April from each to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Worldometers currently indicates that 25 people have recovered in Ireland. Where do they get this data because gov.ie only appears to report confirmed cases and deaths.

Does anybody have a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Nursing homes went against advice and closed up to visitors earlier than anyone that the government advised, as early as the 6th March. I would think nursing homes are being infected through staff having virus and not realising it

Alot of nurses in nursing homes in Ireland are from the Philippines etc. Alot live together etc. It spread like wildfire unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im just curious as to how the PPE orders turned out to be such a massive cock up. Who ordered them? did they know what they were ordering? Ive just seen more pictures of them on social media and they are ridiculous. You'd see better hygiene and protective wear at a deli counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Worldometers currently indicates that 25 people have recovered in Ireland. Where do they get this data because gov.ie only appears to report confirmed cases and deaths.

probably getting it from here https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

M

Im just curious as to how the PPE orders turned out to be such a massive cock up. Who ordered them? did they know what they were ordering? Ive just seen more pictures of them on social media and they are ridiculous. You'd see better hygiene and protective wear at a deli counter.

Being male and female staffed you could easily have massive difference is sizing required, I'd assume all PPE isn't one size fits all? Gear that suits someone XL can hardly fit someone who is M?

News reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi,

I have high risk elderly (80 yrs plus) relatives living with me. My company has being deemed an essential service (Company maybe, my sector is not).

I can't not go to work as I have bills etc. to pay. If I contract this virus and pass it on to my 87 year old mother its probably a death sentence.

If I voluntarily leave my job I don't get any payment.

what am I supposed to do ?

Do u think Trump will do anything to China after this? I feel he is the only leader who would actually have the balls to do something to China. Maybe Russia aswell.

Are you serious? What an awful thing to say!

The world didn't feel the need to 'do something' to the USA in 1918 - the Spanish Flu Pandamic came from a bird farm in Kansas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭con747

Italy had a death rate of 10.2 per 1000 for 2019 so they'd have been expecting circa 641,300 dead for 2020 so maybe 53,442 a month average expected

Spain had 9.2 per 1000 with circa 430,560 expected this year 35,880 on average a month

Be interesting if could get a total monthly number of deaths for March or maybe end April from each to compare

Why? the deaths now are because of a virus that was not present in Italy or Spain in 2019.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Blame the WHO - they were sourced from a WHO approved supplier
    Typically Medium in Chinese sizes is small at best in European sizes - as an approved supplier this shouldn't even come into it but makes you wonder...

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi,

I have high risk elderly (80 yrs plus) relatives living with me. My company has being deemed an essential service (Company maybe, my sector is not).

I can't not go to work as I have bills etc. to pay. If I contract this virus and pass it on to my 87 year old mother its probably a death sentence.

If I voluntarily leave my job I don't get any payment.

what am I supposed to do ?

Talk to your employer - maybe they can move you to a lower risk area or...

Being male and female staffed you could easily have massive difference is sizing required, I'd assume all PPE isn't one size fits all? Gear that suits someone XL can hardly fit someone who is M?

It's not just sizing difference, theyre disposable gowns with 3 quarter length sleeves, flimsy porous material. Nurses complaining about been told to wear gowns with back or front not covered, some of them are so tight they cant even get into them. Keep in mind, they ordered 15 years worth of a supply, they spent millions on this, do you not think they would have ordered different sizes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

If there is no money to be made for him and his cronies I doubt it. Trump is about one think only, himself the big baby.

Blame the WHO - they were sourced from a WHO approved supplier
    Typically Medium in Chinese sizes is small at best in European sizes - as an approved supplier this shouldn't even come into it but makes you wonder...

The HSE ordered them. Its been stated numerous times in press meetings that the HSE worked hard to secure these orders form China.

M

Should they reduce the temperature in hospitals from 25 degrees plus to say 20 odd? People sweating and struggling with the heat likely to spread it all over the place.

The HSE ordered them. Its been stated numerous times in press meetings that the HSE worked hard to secure these orders form China.

Yes and they didn't order them off Aliexpress (like some countries) - they went thru official channels to approved suppliers
    Every country in the world is trying to get them and I would hazard a guess this company are just throwing everything in to the orders with no quality control on what is being supplied just to fulfill the orders - which is what probably happened here rather than the company saying no we don't have that stock
    I don't think you can lay all the blame at the HSE's door

The world is too dependent on China for this sort of thing!

Should they reduce the temperature in hospitals from 25 degrees plus to say 20 odd?

Ermmm why?

You edited the post - it's not transmitted in sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, would be pretty interesting. But then making any comparisons would be difficult - probably less people die in traffic accidents etc. So when making comparisons, you'd have to consider that the restrictions (because of Covid-19) also probably affect "normal" death rates.

• Advertisement
    M

Ermmm why?

You edited the post - it's not transmitted in sweat

Very few Irish have this temperature in their house, complete waste of resources, putting people in heat they are not used to. Similar to burning €5 notes in your front lawn.

If you are sweating you are more likely to wipe your face

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

the UK lockdown over here (i live in Sasana) , has had a bit of weird side-benefit for myself anyway.

i've managed to finally complete the electronic album i've never quite gotten around to finishing off. I'll be uploading it to Bandcamp or YouTube or wherever for free in the next few days

I kind of do wonder if we'll see a surge in Indie artists because of this whole lockdown palava.
    Could actually turn out to be quite an interesting year artistically.

( note : am not downplaying Corona.. it's bloody awful.. but there are a few white pills )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That's completely different from what the poster is saying
    Healthcare workers have a primary goal - to help people less fortunate/sick (it's not a job for people involved, its more vocational). They won't just drop tools in an emergency

How can they help people without the proper PPE? They're putting themselves and their families at risk. How do you not understand that?

Yes and they didn't order them off Aliexpress (like some countries) - they went thru official channels to approved suppliers
    Every country in the world is trying to get them and I would hazard a guess this company are just throwing everything in to the orders with no quality control on what is being supplied just to fulfill the orders - which is what probably happened here rather than the company saying no we don't have that stock
    I don't think you can lay all the blame at the HSE's door

The world is too dependent on China for this sort of thing!

How are they allowed to get away with that? they are costing lives and taking millions of euros for way below standard products.
    Also, how come other countries seem to have full body suits but Irish nurses get this? It's not making sense tbh.

Also, we have thousands of designers, dress makers, design students, seamstresses all over the country. NCAD, LIT and hundreds of FE colleges around the country have fully kitted out fashion design making studios with materials and industrial sewing machines, surely they could be redeployed to making PPE?
    Dunnes Stores alone has a a large amount of employed designers.

These south american countries and african haven't a hope in hell
    Corpses Lie For Days As Ecuador Struggles To Keep Up With COVID-19 Deaths
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826675439/corpses-lie-for-days-as-ecuador-struggles-to-keep-up-with-covid-19-deaths

spookwoman wrote: »
    If you are sweating you are more likely to wipe your face

Last time I was in hospital on the operation ward (not so long ago) it wasn't that warm - it was pleasant enough not to be freezing in a gown but certainly wasn't sweating heat

Last time I was in hospital on the operation ward (not so long ago) it wasn't that warm - it was pleasant enough not to be freezing in a gown but certainly wasn't sweating heat

Anytime I've been in the rooms are too hot and stuffy

M

Last time I was visiting someone was in June a number of years back, heating was on, radiators were on, windows were open because it was too hot. It perfectly explained to me how backward the public health system in Ireland was towards managing a budget. It's the very same in Garda stations too, money to burn.

• Advertisement

How are they allowed to get away with that? they are costing lives and taking millions of euros for way below standard products.
    Also, how come other countries seem to have full body suits but Irish nurses get this? It's not making sense tbh.

Also, we have thousands of designers, dress makers, design students, seamstresses all over the country. NCAD, LIT and hundreds of FE colleges around the country have fully kitted out fashion design making studios with materials and industrial sewing machines, surely they could be redeployed to making PPE?
    Dunnes Stores alone has a a large amount of employed designers.

Full body suits in the south of Italy - how long do you think it will be before supplies run out? They are trying to limit replacement by having barriers from patients/doctors doing the treatments etc and other staff but still there is a limit to the stock

As for other suppliers - it's already happening in Ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement