Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Are you serious? What an awful thing to say!

The world didn't feel the need to 'do something' to the USA in 1918 - the Spanish Flu Pandamic came from a bird farm in Kansas!

well to be utterly fair to Trump, he has been banging on and on and on and on about CHYNA

when everyone else was refusing to talk about our utter dependency on "Chyna", Trump was right out there saying that this dependency isn't good at all for us in the West.

Am not a Trump supporter, but he was bang on about the whole China thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How can they help people without the proper PPE? They're putting themselves and their families at risk. How do you not understand that?

And that is what most doctors, nurses etc will do - they put patient first, they don't think of themselves
    You are just being very contrary

I see Belgium is giving a bonus payment to all frontline staff of 1450 euro

spookwoman wrote: »
    Anytime I've been in the rooms are too hot and stuffy

The outpatients wards? Have noticed that too - no windows open doesn't help either even tho there is research it's better to have the windows open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not just sizing difference, theyre disposable gowns with 3 quarter length sleeves, flimsy porous material. Nurses complaining about been told to wear gowns with back or front not covered, some of them are so tight they cant even get into them. Keep in mind, they ordered 15 years worth of a supply, they spent millions on this, do you not think they would have ordered different sizes?

Only a few shipments have arrived though. Reid says they can still change the order and tell the Chinese 'we don't any of those and we want these instead' etc. It's not as if you fork out €250m and have to accept whatever they send you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement

These south american countries and african haven't a hope in hell
    Corpses Lie For Days As Ecuador Struggles To Keep Up With COVID-19 Deaths
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826675439/corpses-lie-for-days-as-ecuador-struggles-to-keep-up-with-covid-19-deaths

am not too worried about south america. they have some pretty substantially well off countries like Brazil, Argentina and Chile. They'll send aid. Not to mention the thousands of Cuban doctors who seem to arrive anytime there's a major emergency. They'll be grand.

Africa though - that's going to be a clusterfck if Corona really takes off. South Africa for example has enormous HIV infection rates. Lower immunity = Corona can run riot... not good at all.

if one is utterly logical and dispassionate , what Trump is doing here is utterly correct - he's telling the Corporate world to either be "American" or fck off.

Now it could be all bluster and "fake news" or whatever - i get that. But there is a strong message coming from the White House - supply American hospitals. End of.

fritzelly wrote: »
    The outpatients wards? Have noticed that too - no windows open doesn't help either even tho there is research it's better to have the windows open

Few years apart, one weekend stay. op for another, oncology ward I was put into and I remember it well because I got no sleep with the creature in the next bed w*nking all night. The most recent one again no windows open because new wing being built. Always too damn hot and stuffy

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The HSE should have stepped in and found a way to buy every single mask from Irema, the surgical mask company in co. Limerick back in February.

By the beginning of March, Irema were making 1.3 Million Masks a week and were increasing that to 2.6 Million masks a week.

They were exporting “most of the masks internationally to western Europe and the Middle East and also selling to China.”

The HSE really missed the boat on that one.

Imagine if they had bought all the Irema Masks for just 4 weeks in a row – we would now have 10.6 Million surgical and Respirator Masks.

I heard in the briefing 2 nights ago that they are going to negotiate with a company in Limerick. (Should have happened weeks ago)

March 3rd:
    ‘Limerick Firm reaping benefits of soaring Face Mask Demand Around World’
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-firm-reaping-benefits-of-soaring-face-mask-demand-around-world-985474.html

• Advertisement

The HSE should have stepped in and found a way to buy every single mask from Irema, the surgical mask company in co. Limerick back in February.

By the beginning of March, Irema were making 1.3 Million Masks a week and were increasing that to 2.6 Million masks a week.

They were exporting “most of the masks internationally to western Europe and the Middle East and also selling to China.”

Imagine if they had bought all the Irema Masks for just 4 weeks in a row – we would now have 10.6 Million surgical and Respirator Masks.

I heard in the briefing 2 nights ago that they are going to negotiate with a company in Limerick. (Should have happened weeks ago)

March 3rd:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-firm-reaping-benefits-of-soaring-face-mask-demand-around-world-985474.html

good god. i didn't know that. If they'd bought up all the masks and put them in storage, Ireland would now be at the centre of the international mask trade, and would be able to name a price. Which would go some way to fixing the economic impact of Corona.

And they completely dropped the ball on this.

Staggering incompetence. My jaw is literally dropping on that news story. Wow.

fair play to whoever put that up. Hilarious stuff.

EUtMxA4WkAMUZmM?format=jpg

How are they allowed to get away with that? they are costing lives and taking millions of euros for way below standard products.
    Also, how come other countries seem to have full body suits but Irish nurses get this? It's not making sense tbh.

Also, we have thousands of designers, dress makers, design students, seamstresses all over the country. NCAD, LIT and hundreds of FE colleges around the country have fully kitted out fashion design making studios with materials and industrial sewing machines, surely they could be redeployed to making PPE?
    Dunnes Stores alone has a a large amount of employed designers.

i know the vast majority of folks on Boards hate Trump - i get it.. But what has he been banging on and on and on and on for years, like a Missus Doyle on repeat.

CHYNA

this lockdown should serve as a HUGE wakeup call for all of us.

Support your local businesses. Go to your local butcher. Go to your local tailor. Go to your local farmer. Support your local artist. Lidl/Aldi/Tesco won't save you money in the long run - because once all of those local folks are out of business , all those big supermarkets jack up the prices.

I live in Sasana, where this has run riot - and anytime i'm back in Cork, i'm always shocked at how cheap the meat is in the English market. Compared to Sasana. This is what these corporates do - low prices for a while, everyone else goes out of business, then the price hikes kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

March 3rd:

I'm not sure you read the article properly:

"We supply the HSE with surgical face masks and also supply many manufacturing companies which need to have a clean room work environment. We make two types of face mask: a surgical and a respirator."

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

good god. i didn't know that. If they'd bought up all the masks and put them in storage, Ireland would now be at the centre of the international mask trade, and would be able to name a price. Which would go some way to fixing the economic impact of Corona.

And they completely dropped the ball on this.

Staggering incompetence. My jaw is literally dropping on that news story. Wow.

Yep. Ireland dropped the ball on Masks period.

They should have started buying up masks last January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Washington: US intelligence agencies have concluded that the Chinese government itself does not know the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in China and is as blind as the rest of the world, according to current and former intelligence officials.
    Mid-level bureaucrats in the city of Wuhan, where the virus originated, and elsewhere in China have been lying about infection rates, testing and death counts, fearful that if they report numbers that are too high they will be punished, lose their position or worse, current and former intelligence officials said.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-does-not-know-extent-of-its-outbreak-cia-tells-white-house-20200403-p54gqv.html

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Asked the theoretical question how this would affect trade with China a few weeks ago (may have been sooner, all days roll into one these days) on here late at night (when normal people are usually browsing) and would it make the western world start bringing manufacturing home (not war but similar)

After seeing the sub par PPE, kits etc and being reliant on almost entirely on China to supply these may make countries have a serious think about it.

Infect the world then make money off helping them :rolleyes:

America owes 1 trillion dollars to China cos they buy lots of stuff from China that they can't make themselves as cheaply as China does.
    When this comes to an end the whole world (inc. Ireland) will need to borrow a ****load more money, eventually coming from China, because they have a ****load of people who have to work for peanuts cos they are controlled by a dictatorial government that kills them if they complain.

Economics

I live in Sasana,

What's your point with using the word Sasana? It's the 21st century in case you hadn't noticed

Yep. Ireland dropped the ball on Masks period.

They should have started buying up masks last January.
    Are you talking about the masks that work or the ones that don't work?:rolleyes:

MipMap wrote: »
    America owes 1 trillion dollars to China cos they buy lots of stuff from China that they can't make themselves as cheaply as China does.
    When this comes to an end the whole world (inc. Ireland) will need to borrow a ****load more money, eventually coming from China, because they have a ****load of people who have to work for peanuts cos they are controlled by a dictatorial government that kills them if they complain.

Economics

That's because they shut all the factories (or rather the companies did) and moved production over to China
    As it is China is losing a lot of trade now to other Asian countries who are under cutting them without all the red tape that the CCP imposes
    So maybe not bring it all back in house but diversify where you do your trade.

• Advertisement

That's because they shut all the factories (or rather the companies did) and moved production over to China
    As it is China is losing a lot of trade now to other Asian countries who are under cutting them without all the red tape that the CCP imposes
    So maybe not bring it all back in house but diversify where you do your trade.
    Agree with all of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

March 3rd:

What kind of ****e is this, No one knew what was around the corner last February, if they did buy all the masks and we were not affected by the virus, the likes of yourself would be on here now giving out about the costs to the tax payer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

cnocbui wrote: »

They must have known how bad it was to put a whole an entire city into lockdown, and I mean to bolt the doors of people's apartments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What's your point with using the word Sasana? It's the 21st century in case you hadn't noticed

Are you giving out to everyone for what they're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

News reports

Have you links to any of these news reports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Our case numbers are miles off. The only Stát you can really rely on is the death figures from reputable countries.

Ireland are just behind Australia on the Case rankings

Australia 5454 Cases, 28 Deaths
    Ireland 4273, 120 Deaths

How do we have 4 times as many deaths as Australia with a similar number?

I take Australia to a reputable country. If the Australian stats are bang on then we should have 4 times as many cases, over 16,000. But nobody is being tested here, or you have to wait 2 weeks to get a result.

Ireland has conducted 30,000 tests = 0.6% of the population.
    Australia has tested 1% of the population.
    The UK for reference has tested 0.2% of the population.

It's really hard to compare the numbers between different countries simply just because the criteria for who gets tested and the rates of testing simply differ between countries.

Someone in Australia could also say "I take Ireland to be a reputable country, how comes we have only a quarter the number of deaths as them, Scott Morrison is cooking the numbers to stop him and the government looking bad"

Russia is right behind Ireland in total cases with 34 deaths. I certainly don't think Russia is a reputable country so if their numbers are close to Australia, then perhaps it is Australia's numbers that aren't reputable. This the trap we'll fall down if we try to start comparing different countries with different sets of numbers and different climates, cultures, levels of medical facilities, etc. It's something that needs far closer inspection that glancing and multiplying 2 numbers we see on a table to get an accurate number of the total cases for any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

There was an interesting article in The Spectator recently.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

A few quotes:

The simplest way to judge whether we have an exceptionally lethal disease is to look at the death rates. Are more people dying than we would expect to die anyway in a given week or month? Statistically, we would expect about 51,000 to die in Britain this month. At the time of writing, 422 deaths are linked to Covid-19 — so 0.8 per cent of that expected total. On a global basis, we’d expect 14 million to die over the first three months of the year. The world’s 18,944 coronavirus deaths represent 0.14 per cent of that total. These figures might shoot up but they are, right now, lower than other infectious diseases that we live with (such as flu). Not figures that would, in and of themselves, cause drastic global reactions.

The latest figures show that since September, flu has infected 38 million Americans, hospitalised 390,000 and killed 23,000. This does not cause public alarm because flu is familiar.

It certainly seems reasonable, now, that a degree of social distancing should be maintained for a while, especially for the elderly and the immune-suppressed. But when drastic measures are introduced, they should be based on clear evidence. In the case of Covid-19, the evidence is not clear. The UK’s lockdown has been informed by modelling of what might happen. More needs to be known about these models. Do they correct for age, pre-existing conditions, changing virulence, the effects of death certification and other factors? Tweak any of these assumptions and the outcome (and predicted death toll) can change radically.

Much of the response to Covid-19 seems explained by the fact that we are watching this virus in a way that no virus has been watched before. The scenes from the Italian hospitals have been shocking, and make for grim television. But television is not science.

But governments must remember that rushed science is almost always bad science. We have decided on policies of extraordinary magnitude without concrete evidence of excess harm already occurring, and without proper scrutiny of the science used to justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

That article was written about a week ago and already the numbers quoted look ridiculous. There are now over 3500 deaths attributable to C-19 in the UK and almost 60,000 deaths globally.

The whole “this really isn’t any worse than flu” argument is getting really tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

BanditLuke wrote: »
    "All our patients are in their 50's or younger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlbCmRJMW4

Stay at home ffs

Excellent video. People should watch it. Clear calm narrative from an ICU doctor in Wales. A lovely person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

moonage wrote: »
    There was an interesting article in The Spectator recently.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

A few quotes:

The simplest way to judge whether we have an exceptionally lethal disease is to look at the death rates.
    Death rate is fixating on just one component though.
    This virus is causing a tsunami of people needing hospitalization, that overwhelms the Health Care system.

Aside from that, it's being finding out in some places ppl that have died before they've been tested are not subsequently tested post mortem.
    So those numbers are not included in the statistics for covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

auspicious wrote: »

Christ. People in some parts of the world are really going to suffer. We live like emperors on this low population density, clean island, with excellent amenities and a brilliant standard of living. We complain all the time but seeing other places.... really, we should be so grateful. I would freak out if I had to live in so many of these poor and densely populated places in the world. Have no idea how the people there will manage a pandemic. It is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gynoid wrote: »
    Christ. People in some parts of the world are really going to suffer. We live like emperors on this low population density, clean island, with excellent amenities and a brilliant standard of living. We complain all the time but seeing other places.... really, we should be so grateful. I would freak out if I had to live in so many of these poor and densely populated places in the world. Have no idea how the people there will manage a pandemic. It is frightening.

and yet all night in here people are whinging that we haven't enough tests done that we dont have enough masks , that we are the worst country in the world because we are not like south korea or whatever ... in my opinion they are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Interesting piece in today's UK Independent:
    Trump 'severely mentally troubled' and must resign from coronavirus response, mental health group warns

World Mental Health Coalition urges president's impeachment or resignation for 'dangerous detachment to reality' that is making pandemic worse

See also https://worldmhc.org/.

Since this clown is putting us all in jeopardy I thought it relevant to post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Interesting piece in today's UK Independent:
    Trump 'severely mentally troubled' and must resign from coronavirus response, mental health group warns

World Mental Health Coalition urges president's impeachment or resignation for 'dangerous detachment to reality' that is making pandemic worse

See also https://worldmhc.org/.

Since this clown is putting us all in jeopardy I thought it relevant to post.

Thank God we have Danny Healy-Rae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭plodder

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

I read an article today about the BCG vaccine for TB being linked to protection against Co-vid19. .

I thought a lot of people born in Dublin already had this vaccine and am I mistaken that healthcare workers are required to have this injection?
    A quick way of knowing if you’ve received this injection is it leaves a circular scarring on your upper arm.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tuberculosis-vaccine-potential-game-changer-in-covid-19-fight-1.4220383?mode=amp

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I read an article today about the BCG vaccine for TB being linked to protection against Co-vid19. .

I thought a lot of people born in Dublin already had this vaccine and am I mistaken that healthcare workers are required to have this injection?
    A quick way of knowing if you’ve received this injection is it leaves a circular scarring on your upper arm.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tuberculosis-vaccine-potential-game-changer-in-covid-19-fight-1.4220383?mode=amp
    Most people over the age of five got it. It was standard for all children to get it up to 2015

Apparently, there are (and were) no universal BCG vax programs in Italy, USA, UK(?) or Netherlands. All countries with high levels of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

plodder wrote: »
    Most people over the age of five got it. It was standard for all children to get it up to 2015

Nobody in my family bar my mum who was born in the 50s in Dublin have it. My sister got the injection when she went into nursing. I teach in a primary school and I remember last summer one of the children in my class got the vaccine done in Hungary and her mum said she was surprised they don’t do it automatically here anymore.
    None of my Cork friends have it but when I went to college in Dublin everybody seemed to have it there.

I’m sceptical anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

plodder wrote: »

Would be good for us as I think it was blanket vaccination up until ten years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The Cheltenham question was asked this evening at the press conference, and the reply was we've no indication of infection being picked up there and transmitted here. Believe it or not but that's what was said.

Flights were never going to stop so get that out of your head, we had to bring irish people home and others wanted to go home from here.
    Flights also carry more than just people.

Fair enough if you want to bring people home. But ffs isolate them in a hotel for two weeks or else there's a strong risk of family or community transmission. Then we are back to square 1 and we will never get this lockdown lifted.

Some companies are just about holding on. Another month or two of lockdown and thousands more companies will go out of business.

Whatever the cost of the hotel stays is worth compared to the alternative of longterm lockdown. If its only a handful of people coming in, then relatively easy to accomodate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

froog wrote: »
    there is no evidence right now of coronavirus being passed on through food. think about it, if it's on the food and somehow manages to survive the harsh conditions of cooked food, it goes into your stomach where it gets destroyed by stomach acid.

cold food would be a bigger worry though, especially if you are eating it with your hands.

The cooking process would kill if for sure. But droplet can come onto the food after the cooking process and while it’s being packaged for takeaway (plus since we are talking about burgers, not all ingredients are cooked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

and yet all night in here people are whinging that we haven't enough tests done that we dont have enough masks , that we are the worst country in the world because we are not like south korea or whatever ... in my opinion they are a disgrace

People who say Ireland is the worst (which I don't think anybody said) and people who think we're doing nothing wrong are two sides of the same coin, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would assume that restaurants are taking just as much precautions

Even if they do, they still need someone too prepare and package the food before you eat it. That is the step which brings a risk and doesn’t exist if you cook yourself at home.

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Nobody in my family bar my mum who was born in the 50s in Dublin have it. My sister got the injection when she went into nursing. I teach in a primary school and I remember last summer one of the children in my class got the vaccine done in Hungary and her mum said she was surprised they don’t do it automatically here anymore.
    None of my Cork friends have it but when I went to college in Dublin everybody seemed to have it there.

I’m sceptical anyway.

https://dh.tcd.ie/pricediary/about-dorothy-price-her-family/dorothy-stopford-price-and-the-irish-tuberculosis-epidemic/

TB was rampant here up to the 50's and the article above suggests that BCG started here in the 1950's. I got it in the late 60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Just say I'm so so so sorry Kermit.

Your posts are informative.
    agreed 100%. Even if I dissagreed with with some of your posts. Free speech is more important now than ever, we do not want to become like some governments, silencing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

UK did a catch up BCG programme in the mid 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

March 3rd:

A couple of questions and comments:

If the pandemic never occurred, you are the type of poster who would have said look at how much money ireland wasted on buying them.

Ireland produces something like 50% of the worlds ventilators, should we be buying these in bulk now - so that we can make money on them? I would have though the human thing would have been to ensure countries in the world that need them - we ensure they get them so that innocent people don’t die needlessly. Would you be happy if ireland spent hundreds of millions buying them up and storing them???

Amazes me how many experts we have in this country posting on boards, Ireland sourced the PPE from a WHO approved sourced - can you can l confirm if the limerick company for instance is WHO approved in what they sell? Or does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Itsalladdingup

Bob24 wrote: »
    The cooking process would kill if for sure. But droplet can come onto the food after the cooking process and while it’s being packaged for takeaway (plus since we are talking about burgers, not all ingredients are cooked).

That’s exactly my thinking when it comes to takeaways. Pizza etc will be grand once it’s cooked and hot, but if someone coughs on the box as theyre closing it .....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement