Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭circadian

plodder wrote: »
    Most people over the age of five got it. It was standard for all children to get it up to 2015

Apparently, there are (and were) no universal BCG vax programs in Italy, USA, UK(?) or Netherlands. All countries with high levels of infection.

I had the BCG in NI, I think it's pretty standard in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Interesting piece in today's UK Independent:
    Trump 'severely mentally troubled' and must resign from coronavirus response, mental health group warns

World Mental Health Coalition urges president's impeachment or resignation for 'dangerous detachment to reality' that is making pandemic worse

See also https://worldmhc.org/.

Since this clown is putting us all in jeopardy I thought it relevant to post.

We've plenty of our own clowns in government including those who say we need a lockdown but then fly in people from hotspots like New York and London and allow them into the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭plodder

boombang wrote: »
    UK did a catch up BCG programme in the mid 1990s.
    Iran started in the late 80's, presumably (both) with children only. Iran is badly affected too as the older population weren't immunised. I guess it will be the same here among the over 70's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

circadian wrote: »
    I had the BCG in NI, I think it's pretty standard in the UK.

How long is the BCG effective for?. If you got it 20 years ago does it still work or does it wear out overtime?

Gynoid wrote: »
    Christ. People in some parts of the world are really going to suffer. We live like emperors on this low population density, clean island, with excellent amenities and a brilliant standard of living. We complain all the time but seeing other places.... really, we should be so grateful. I would freak out if I had to live in so many of these poor and densely populated places in the world. Have no idea how the people there will manage a pandemic. It is frightening.

Guayaquil is not a poor city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Happy4all wrote: »
    Thank God we have Danny Healy-Rae

And eamon Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Comhrá

And eamon Ryan

And now Alan Kelly as leader of Labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The HSE should have stepped in and found a way to buy every single mask from Irema, the surgical mask company in co. Limerick back in February.

By the beginning of March, Irema were making 1.3 Million Masks a week and were increasing that to 2.6 Million masks a week.

They were exporting “most of the masks internationally to western Europe and the Middle East and also selling to China.”

The HSE really missed the boat on that one.

Imagine if they had bought all the Irema Masks for just 4 weeks in a row – we would now have 10.6 Million surgical and Respirator Masks.

I heard in the briefing 2 nights ago that they are going to negotiate with a company in Limerick. (Should have happened weeks ago)

March 3rd:
    ‘Limerick Firm reaping benefits of soaring Face Mask Demand Around World’
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-firm-reaping-benefits-of-soaring-face-mask-demand-around-world-985474.html

You're right. We should have immediately hoarded all PPE made in this country and told other countries to go **** themselves.

But that would make it slightly difficult to get things like gloves and masks and gowns as it's likely the countries we told to **** off would tell us to **** off also. But maybe we could tell Irish doctors and nurses to wrap masks around their hands to make do as gloves. And we could get the ICA in to sew a few million masks together into gowns.

When your neighbourhood is burning there is no point in telling your neighbour you have the only tap and you're keeping all the water if they have the only hose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

touts wrote: »
    You're right. We should have immediately hoarded all PPE made in this country and told other countries to go **** themselves.

But that would make it slightly difficult to get things like gloves and masks and gowns as it's likely the countries we told to **** off would tell us to **** off also. But maybe we could tell Irish doctors and nurses to wrap masks around their hands to make do as gloves. And we could get the ICA in to sew a few million masks together into gowns.

When your neighbourhood is burning there is no point in telling your neighbour you have the only tap and you're keeping all the water if they have the only hose.

What in gods name .... how many idiots are in the world ...including yourself :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I read an article today about the BCG vaccine for TB being linked to protection against Co-vid19. .

I thought a lot of people born in Dublin already had this vaccine and am I mistaken that healthcare workers are required to have this injection?
    A quick way of knowing if you’ve received this injection is it leaves a circular scarring on your upper arm.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tuberculosis-vaccine-potential-game-changer-in-covid-19-fight-1.4220383?mode=amp

I can't find the circular scarring. But I'm sure I got it in the early 90s. Does anyone remember getting a vaccine in school? Was this the BCG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

mick987 wrote: »
    How long is the BCG effective for?. If you got it 20 years ago does it still work or does it wear out overtime?

It needs topped up, but I wouldnt be getting my hopes up too much. The researcher points out that this is very tentative and that there are likely to be many other considerations, for example countries that had bcg programmes may have better public health facilities in general and so on. Also he cited Japan as inspiring the research, which suggests it may be outdated at this stage given the European numbers, where I suspect most countries had bcg programmes in place from the 50s/60s.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can't find the circular scarring. But I'm sure I got it in the early 90s. Does anyone remember getting a vaccine in school? Was this the BCG?

Rubella was given in school when you were 12/13

BCG was a baby/ toddler vaccine iirc

I have the mark's but dont remember getting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

fits wrote: »
    Guayaquil is not a poor city.

It very evidently has very poor parts. In fact it is known for its brightly painted slums. A slum is a slum. I'm not intending to pick on Ecuador; poor areas and rich areas can co exist anywhere. Los Angeles has slums, Paris has very poor densely populated areas, Delhi has incredibly beautiful parts to the city and spots of unimaginable luxury.
    Anyways, what I saw in those videos is horrible. Burning left out bodies in the public streets. Nightmare.

what the **** are you talking about , just be lucky everything is in front of you for this epidermic rather the one you have in mind you idiot :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What in gods name .... how many idiots are in the world ...including yourself :rolleyes:

So you genuinely think the answer in this situation is for each country to hoard stuff it makes and stop all international trade. You missed the last 50 years of globalisation didn't you?

touts wrote: »
    So you genuinely think the answer in this situation is for each country to hoard stuff it makes and stop all international trade. You missed the last 50 years of globalisation didn't you?

what ? stop talking ****e

Gynoid wrote: »
    It very evidently has very poor parts. In fact it is known for its brightly painted slums. A slum is a slum. I'm not intending to pick on Ecuador; poor areas and rich areas can co exist anywhere. Los Angeles has slums, Paris has very poor densely populated areas, Delhi has incredibly beautiful parts to the city and spots of unimaginable luxury.
    Anyways, what I saw in those videos is horrible. Burning left out bodies in the public streets. Nightmare.

Oh it definitely does have poor parts but make no mistake -It is far from being a poor city. It is much more wealthy than much of surrounding region. that video is terribly shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

what the **** are you talking about , just be lucky everything is in front of you for this epidermic rather the one you have in mind you idiot :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    what ? stop talking ****e

Mod: Wind it in. You can get your point across without resorting to name calling.

Another moody person having a go at random people on the internet. Is the isolation getting to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Personal abuse cause you can’t handle the truth?

He’s right - the attitude of posters on here is that ireland should buy up as keep/sell at high profit PPE - just read the posts a few pages back.

Imagine if we adopted this attitude, and then next order of medicine or food we order, we get a reply that x country in no longer selling to ireland because of us hoarding important front line PPE equipment. Imagine the uproar against the government then....

Ireland is an island - we need the world a lot more than they need us - uk and USA have car manufacturers offering to make ventilators. How many companies in Ireland are offering to make PPE? Instead of basing the government? You have big drink companies making hand sanitizer -

Other than O’Neill’s I haven’t heard any big company in ireland offering to make PPE in big numbers -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I appreciate the “be kind” narrative around at the moment and echo it completely but it’s a struggle at times with the complete crap some people spout 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Just saw some guy stuff plastic gloves down a drain after coming out of a Lidl.

This is a sign of why Government have to bring in tight measures. Some people are complete idiots and self absorbed.

Stheno wrote: »

Thanks I was thinking of rubella that was given in the schools.

Ace2007 wrote: »

He’s right - the attitude of posters on here is that ireland should buy up as keep/sell at high profit PPE - just read the posts a few pages back.

Imagine if we adopted this attitude, and then next order of medicine or food we order, we get a reply that x country in no longer selling to ireland because of us hoarding important front line PPE equipment. Imagine the uproar against the government then....

Ireland is an island - we need the world a lot more than they need us - uk and USA have car manufacturers offering to make ventilators. How many companies in Ireland are offering to make PPE? Instead of basing the government? You have big drink companies making hand sanitizer -

Other than O’Neill’s I haven’t heard any big company in ireland offering to make PPE in big numbers -

this is exactly the type of person i am talking about ......idiot

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I got it in the 70’s one of my smallies got it but second didn’t as post 2015.

of course we should have bought a **** load of masks we didnt need in early febuary well said you clown .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @windy shepard henderson - don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/03/31/azzurri-to-produce-free-face-masks/

First two paragraphs..

A WATERFORD company has stepped up to the mark in the protective face masks shortage by pledging to supply 5,000 free masks produced in-house to nursing homes and healthcare organisations in the South East.

In response to the crisis Apparel Supply Solutions – Azzurri Sport has developed a washable, re-usable protective face-mask to assist in the protection of healthcare workers against Covid-19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

The best thing you can have is an A4 pad in front of your face stayed in place by a hoody. Wash your hands and rip off pages. Want a pair of goggles as well in fairness.

Yea you heard it here first. More effective than any mask in my opinion.

Maybe a bit of tape to hold it around your face depending on the hoodie.

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »

Nice to see, buts it’s a local business helping on a local scale - why are big companies in ireland not making them on wide scale production?

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Nobody in my family bar my mum who was born in the 50s in Dublin have it. My sister got the injection when she went into nursing. I teach in a primary school and I remember last summer one of the children in my class got the vaccine done in Hungary and her mum said she was surprised they don’t do it automatically here anymore.
    None of my Cork friends have it but when I went to college in Dublin everybody seemed to have it there.

I’m sceptical anyway.

The Southern Health board ceased the bcg vaccine for about two decades so loads in munster region wouldn't have gotten it. I'm not the most confident in it preventing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I have heard that in Italy last year Jan to April died more people than this year all together including covid.

I had assumed all primary school kids still got the BCG, never realised they stopped it. How are they vaccinating against TB now?

I got it in the 90’s in primary school and have siblings who got it a number of years later also.
    Stheno wrote: »

BCG was definitely a primary school vaccine, I remember all the lead up to it and getting it even with the big needles etc.

fits wrote: »
    Oh it definitely does have poor parts but make no mistake -It is far from being a poor city. It is much more wealthy than much of surrounding region. that video is terribly shocking.

I was very shocked too. Looked into it. Some are saying the burning part is not true. I do not know.
    But I also saw this piece in a paper directly quoting the lady mayor of the city, and it is really bad...

""In Guayaquil, ground zero for the spread of COVID-19 in Ecuador, dead bodies have been piling up on the streets, in hospitals and inside houses.

According to official records, 70% of the country's cases are located in the city of Guayaquil, where 2,243 of the 3,163 cases nationwide have been registered.

The mayor of Guayaquil, Cynthia Viteri, requested on Thursday that the Ecuadorian government allow the municipality she leads to remove the bodies of those who died from the COVID-19 disease or other circumstances, as a result of the “alarming situation” the coastal city is going through due to the coronavirus outbreak.

"In view of the alarming situation caused by the removal of fatal victims led by the Joint Task Force appointed by the Government, we ask the competent authorities to authorize that we remove the bodies that remain in the houses," reads a message on the Twitter account of the local leader.

Vteri described a Dantean scene: “There are bodies in houses, on sidewalks, and on street corners. The morgue is totally collapsed because of the number of deaths," she added.

The task Force reported that it is collecting 100 bodies from the streets everyday.

According to local media, many families have been locked up with the bodies of their relatives for up to four days and are still waiting for forensics to remove them.

On March 30, Guayaquil City Councilor Andres Guschmer reported on Twitter that more than 400 bodies had been removed from their homes and local media said on Tuesday that almost 450 bodies were registered on the waiting list to be removed from the houses.""

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

plodder wrote: »

Thats incredibly presumptuous and bad science. Seems to be based solely on X country has a high rate of vaccine and low deaths from Covid. There's thousands of other possible factors that you could pick. "Correlation does not prove causation" is a basic golden rule of epidemiology and stats.

Lavinia wrote: »
    I have heard that in Italy last year Jan to April died more people than this year all together including covid.

Perhaps that’s true, but how people live their lives have changed.

Take ireland for example - all reports are that A&Es are empty - and little no one of trolleys, - does this mean that ireland doesn’t have a problem with A&E beds? Or does it mean that so many people are acting so differently that it brings the numbers back down.

If normal life was going on, then the numbers would be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Am I wrong in thinking because of the very few tests currently being done or are being analysed the numbers of confirmed cases will dramatically drop. If we are only testing 1500 a day we are unlikely to continue to see 3-400 cases a day and that the numbers we were seeing last week were before the testing dramatically slowed down ...how then can we know realistically that it has peaked ?
    Surely when or if testing picks up to a more realistic level the big numbers might reappear...

I had assumed all primary school kids still got the BCG, never realised they stopped it. How are they vaccinating against TB now?

I got it in the 90’s in primary school and have siblings who got it a number of years later also.

BCG was definitely a primary school vaccine, I remember all the lead up to it and getting it even with the big needles etc.

I think they generally do get it. The southern health board thing was between seventies and nineties.

• Advertisement

Someone wrote that here a few days ago. This will have to be backed up by factual references. I would be very happy to see those sources. Eager, even. Certainly relieved. Please provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Had to re-read that a couple of times. Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ettravel

USA.
    will this finally wake the US population up into realising what an unjust , unequal , rat race of a kip they live in.

certainly far from perfect in the EU countries but at least most of the time, most have good intentions. I love the US but will this be the stray that breaks the canals back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The best thing you can have is an A4 pad in front of your face stayed in place by a hoody. Wash your hands and rip off pages. Want a pair of goggles as well in fairness.

Yea you heard it here first. More effective than any mask in my opinion.

Maybe a bit of tape to hold it around your face depending on the hoodie.

The plastic bag on the face similar to Blind boy dole clubs attire could be effective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In regards to masks I was listening to a doctor on the local radio and his suggestion would be for the hse and or the emergency response group ,
    For them to issue masks to the public for when the restrictions that are issued now are relaxed.
    He believes it would be more prudent to use them

Nice to see, buts it’s a local business helping on a local scale - why are big companies in ireland not making them on wide scale production?

Small companies tend to be a bit more agile. The equipment they have usually is designed for smaller runs so can be adjusted easier. Plus we don't really have any large apparel manufacturers left in Ireland. Most went bust. The only ones left are the O'Neills and Azzurri types.

It will be small companies who are most innovative in a crisis like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow have no memory of it but have the marks on my arm

Perhaps that’s true, but how people live their lives have changed.

Take ireland for example - all reports are that A&Es are empty - and little no one of trolleys, - does this mean that ireland doesn’t have a problem with A&E beds? Or does it mean that so many people are acting so differently that it brings the numbers back down.

If normal life was going on, then the numbers would be higher.

Certainly everything being closed has helped. I'd say sports injuries are pretty rare at the moment. Road traffic accidents are probably well down.

But a major factor will be the pubs being closed. A&Es are mayhem on a Saturday night and a huge portion appear to be drink related.

And the worried well aren't going there anymore. Now they are more scared of Covid-19 than the symptoms they think they have.

However it does seem many people with genuine symptoms are not attending and this is a problem. Strokes, heart attacks, cancer, serious illness etc haven't all stepped aside to let the virus have a clear run at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In the context of masks, this is an interesting discussion by four experts on the topic. on the matter. One of the contributors, a research scientist called Howard, believes that masks are of such importance that he set up this non profit website which contains links to a lot of research, much of which focuses on the efficacy of homemade masks.

In the context of masks, this is an interesting discussion by four experts on the topic. on the matter. One of the contributors, a research scientist called Howard, believes that masks are of such importance that he set up this non profit website which contains links to a lot of research, much of which focuses on the efficacy of homemade masks.

What did the other 3 experts say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What did the other 3 experts say?

Did you miss the link? They mostly agree that masks are important.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement